PDA

View Full Version : Rosebowl on OOB

TrapGame
08-13-2021, 11:27 AM
Said we have a chip on our shoulder again. There's a high level of testosterone in these practices that he hasn't seen in a long time. He said he NEVER saw anything remotely close to this with Moorhead. And the practices are even more efficient than Mullen's. He said it's like clock work. Everybody has their part and nobody is standing around idle.

DownwardDawg
08-13-2021, 11:58 AM
This is really good to hear.

HancockCountyDog
08-13-2021, 12:19 PM
Said we have a chip on our shoulder again. There's a high level of testosterone in these practices that he hasn't seen in a long time. He said he NEVER saw anything remotely close to this with Moorhead. And the practices are even more efficient than Mullen's. He said it's like clock work. Everybody has their part and nobody is standing around idle.

I swear I hate these type of quotes or statements. Its like how every strength and conditioning coach is always better than the previous one. I mean, we have never had a season where our team was less focused, less ready to play, have less leaders, have a smaller chip on their shoulder, less swagger, less confidence, less leadership, be in poorer physical shape, than the previous season. It has simply never happened since Al Gore invented the interweb and i've been following MSU football.

I mean every damn year I ready these damn quotes in August about how the current year is so much better than the prior year. Who the hell knows if it is true anymore. I got to see part of a Moorhead practice a few years ago, and they sure as shit seemed like they were dialed in, but who knows.

I would much rather hear that our OL looks to be able to consistently block a 3 man front or that our secondary has some real depth, or that our DL is not missing Kobe/Spencer. Those are the things that matter.

Maybe I'm just edgy because everyone on the coast has f*cking covid.

STATEBALLIN
08-13-2021, 12:34 PM
I swear I hate these type of quotes or statements. Its like how every strength and conditioning coach is always better than the previous one. I mean, we have never had a season where our team was less focused, less ready to play, have less leaders, have a smaller chip on their shoulder, less swagger, less confidence, less leadership, be in poorer physical shape, than the previous season. It has simply never happened since Al Gore invented the interweb and i've been following MSU football.

I mean every damn year I ready these damn quotes in August about how the current year is so much better than the prior year. Who the hell knows if it is true anymore. I got to see part of a Moorhead practice a few years ago, and they sure as shit seemed like they were dialed in, but who knows.

I would much rather hear that our OL looks to be able to consistently block a 3 man front or that our secondary has some real depth, or that our DL is not missing Kobe/Spencer. Those are the things that matter.

I know what you mean. I feel the same way but, Leach has 20 years head coaching on his resume. All he has done is beat more talented teams with less talented players. One way to do that is by being super efficient and it starts with practice.

Todd4State
08-13-2021, 12:46 PM

To be fair there were concerns from fans when Moorhead took them to the water park.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-13-2021, 12:53 PM
The conundrum of being a State fan is that both TrapGame and HCD are correct. We want to hear what Rosy is saying but know that HCD's rule of apply, rinse and repeat is a cycle that never seems to change. My hope is that there is a new kind of attitude at State brought on by us finally breaking through with a NATTY. It shows that there is hope if you follow the work of the baseball team with hard work, dedication and motivation. Will we win a Natty in football, doubt it, not until the devil retires, but we can have a great season which I think any Bulldog fan would welcome.

FISHDAWG
08-13-2021, 12:53 PM
To be fair there were concerns from fans when Moorhead took them to the water park.

yep ... I don't care what anyone says - it would be hard NOT to improve after what we have seen the last 3 years. After all - we started a team of freshman last year with not much experience ... age and conditioning alone would improve what we have been through

Doggie_Style
08-13-2021, 01:23 PM

Good to hear, not a Rosebowl fan but it's believable after living through the pajama-boy Moorhead era.

Johnson85
08-13-2021, 01:29 PM

Yea, and it wasn't just about the water park. There were concerns out there. Not from anybody like Rosey but they were there. Of course, for all I know, the sources of those whispers say the same shit every year also and I don't know if they were any more credible.

Hot Rock
08-13-2021, 01:42 PM
Steve has concerns as well. He was not just blowing sunshine the whole time during the podcast that I listen too. He just told us what he saw to the best of his ability.

He did say what the OP said or close to it at least. I had heard others say similar things. Steve said that the WR run a route, run back, get in line, a trainer hydrates them and then they are running another route and that they never seem to stop. He said you can tell these practice sessions are a well oiled machine that has developed over many years and that they are very efficient. I can't quote him exactly but I do think that's the jest what was said.

You guys may not like general statements like that but more specific things were addressed as well.

Thing is, Leach has given the media access to the first ten days of fall camp with some limitations on moving around and no videos etc.. They are getting player interviews, seeing who is doing what and get a real feel for the team and who may play.

Lots of other programs media guys are still making top ten lists of reasons why they will win/lose to week 1-12 opponents. We are getting real eyes on practices and getting information. That's not something lots of fans are getting.

MafiaDawg
08-13-2021, 02:32 PM
Sloppy Joe Croomhead, while a nice guy, was the biggest bumbling idiot when it came to being a football coach. Any practice with a pulse would look like a vast improvement from him. I bet he could not run an efficient practice if his life depended on it in year 5. But yes, Leach is an actual professional with proven results and is known for his preciseness.

DownwardDawg
08-13-2021, 02:47 PM

It was never this way during the Moorehead debacle. Everyone talked about how soft the team looked. There were major concerns. But I certainly get what you're saying. Other than those two years, we seem to hear this a lot!

BrunswickDawg
08-13-2021, 02:57 PM
It was never this way during the Moorehead debacle. Everyone talked about how soft the team looked. There were major concerns. But I certainly get what you're saying. Other than those two years, we seem to hear this a lot!

Didn't we go all Fall camp in shorts and helmets with no hitting in Croomhead's 2nd year?

parabrave
08-13-2021, 03:04 PM
Thats all great but it still will come down to 2 things. Can we block 3 rushers and piggybacking on that is can we complete a pass to our receivers for more than 5 yards downfield?

Captain Falcon
08-13-2021, 03:13 PM
While you for sure take it with a grain of salt, this insight is probably worth more than it is most years. Our media has seen more of practice this year than they have seen in several years.

Homedawg
08-13-2021, 03:49 PM

Ironic considering how he got the name rosebowl he was saying stuff that was all giddy!!.... I do agree they don't waste time in practice.

Coach34
08-13-2021, 07:43 PM
Ironic considering how he got the name rosebowl he was saying stuff that was all giddy!!.... I do agree they don't waste time in practice.

I will say that maybe with age has come wisdom with Rosey. While funny the way he got his nickname- I’ve seen some of his comments from time to time over the last few years and he seems to stay pretty grounded.

TrapGame
08-13-2021, 07:52 PM

Yeah, I know. We hear a lot of what we want to about this time every season. But, no one I remember was going on and on about how intense practices were under Moorhead. Remember, Cohen started going to practices when it became obvious Lingerie League teams were tougher, better conditioned and disciplined. Kansas St. came to Starkville in year two and knocked our dicks in the dirt. The only chip on Moorhead's shoulder was a potato chip.

Thats all great but it still will come down to 2 things. Can we block 3 rushers and piggybacking on that is can we complete a pass to our receivers for more than 5 yards downfield?

Steve talked about that too. We had a patch work O line for most of the season. There was virtually no cohesion. It will be way better this season. And yes, so will our receivers.

While you for sure take it with a grain of salt, this insight is probably worth more than it is most years. Our media has seen more of practice this year than they have seen in several years.

Yep, and Steve is not the only one out there talking about more intense practices. Matt Wyatt has mentioned it too. Matt and Steve also talk about Hargrove's speed the same too. They've both seen him in action.

Cowbell
08-14-2021, 12:22 AM
I remember posting a thread at the middle of summer about our S&C coach under him. It was obvious to a lot of people there was an issue. Especially when LBs show up to camp fat.

Reason2succeed
08-14-2021, 08:12 AM
Leach >>>Moorhead. Let?s let it go. We have a legit coach with proven experience in taking teams with less talent than us and beating so-called blue bloods. I?ve been very impressed by Leach & Co.

Don?t forget how big of a change the air raid is from anything we?ve ever done. Plus, last year was CoVid year. I think we will see a huge jump by this team on offense and defense. Just look at the depth chart. I actually trust guys on the 2nd team at many positions.

TrapGame
08-14-2021, 09:45 AM
Leach >>>Moorhead. Let?s let it go. We have a legit coach with proven experience in taking teams with less talent than us and beating so-called blue bloods. I?ve been very impressed by Leach & Co.

Don?t forget how big of a change the air raid is from anything we?ve ever done. Plus, last year was CoVid year. I think we will see a huge jump by this team on offense and defense. Just look at the depth chart. I actually trust guys on the 2nd team at many positions.

We will be so much better on offense this season some of these folks are gonna be shocked.

99jc
08-14-2021, 12:59 PM
We will be so much better on offense this season some of these folks are gonna be shocked.

I know we are going to shock some folks. We are going to be hell to deal with on offense. and the defense will be very good. I really think we beat LSU and Aubarn this season.

TrapGame
08-14-2021, 01:35 PM
I know we are going to shock some folks. We are going to be hell to deal with on offense. and the defense will be very good. I really think we beat LSU and Aubarn this season.

I think we embarrass LSU. They will be mediocre this season. O's seat is gonna get pretty warm this season.

PGHBulldogBG
08-14-2021, 08:03 PM
Leach has proven results at lower to mid tier power 5 schools for 15+ years. All Moorhead proved is that he could win with Barkley. The same thing just about any of us on this message board could?ve done.