PDA

View Full Version : NIL Question

Robburl
08-13-2021, 09:21 AM
I have a NIL question that was posed here in BHM on the morning show. What stops a company, let's say Mossy Oak for example, from offering to pay the scholarships for the entire baseball team if MSU would put a Mossy Oak logo on the jersey as a sponsor? Is that possible? Because if so, that seems to be a very prime in for companies to actually get their money worth, if the school were to allow it.

1bigdawg
08-13-2021, 10:49 AM
I believe they cannot wear university logo apparel during their NIL endorsements of a company.

Homedawg
08-13-2021, 10:50 AM
I have a NIL question that was posed here in BHM on the morning show. What stops a company, let's say Mossy Oak for example, from offering to pay the scholarships for the entire baseball team if MSU would put a Mossy Oak logo on the jersey as a sponsor? Is that possible? Because if so, that seems to be a very prime in for companies to actually get their money worth, if the school were to allow it.

Our state law says, it has to be "fair market value". Now, determining that is impossible to a degree. But we can't put the mossy oak logo on uniform. Best they could do is do ads and what's that really bringing them? Not much.

Homedawg
08-13-2021, 10:52 AM
I believe they cannot wear university logo apparel during their NIL endorsements of a company.

Logo can be used. But they are certain rules and stipulations involved

HoopsDawg
08-13-2021, 11:48 AM
I don't know any specifics, but there has to be a way for us to get up to at least 27 full scholarships for baseball using 11.7 + NIL.

magrooder
08-13-2021, 02:33 PM
I don't see the difference in BYU having tuition paid for walk-ons on the football team and a vendor/company paying full rides for any other school's "walk-on" athletes from another sport.

coachnorm
08-15-2021, 09:52 AM

Isn't NIL a personal thing as determined by the Courts? Simply a person, student or not, has NIL considerations as stated by federal law after the Courts made their rulings. The student now has money and can pay for his scholarship? A company can pay NIL considerations upon its discretion, One dollar or a million dollars?

TheLostDawg
08-15-2021, 12:09 PM
Yeah and what gets me is they didn't even think about all the money it takes to coach these guys, feed, house, and teach these guys. It's just chaos right now. I agree they should get some extra benefits just as some spending money but it's just crazy his wild it's become now. At least now everyone knows how much under the table cash bama and others were giving players because now they can legally do it.

I guess when it's all said and done, those guys were going to get that money either way. Just wish companies like EA games would give schools money to use their "likeness" and distribute it evenly among the players (so they all get a little back and spending money, nothing grand but something).

I wonder if the schools are going to help these guys with taxes next. Some are certainly going to need lawyers so they don't get taken advantage of like many NFL players did back in the day with agents.

coachnorm
08-15-2021, 01:13 PM
Yeah and what gets me is they didn't even think about all the money it takes to coach these guys, feed, house, and teach these guys.It's just chaos right now.

It is well known how much money it tales etc. and It is chaos right now. It is CHAOS RIGHT NOW because the NCAA has lost its moral credibility. When the cat gets out of the bag the NCAA is exposed and the Courts have started stripping it of its past dictatorial influence on students. I have dropped some hints on fellow elite doggers about the NCAA misconduct on the Todd McNair/Reggie Bush sanctions. When internal emails were released to the public, unfettered and established facts that Bush was guilty of nothing, were published, because the NCAA internal emails stated verbatim that they had no evidence on Bush so McNair had to get set up to sanction USC. The legal community paid more attention to these particulars than the common college athletic fans.