PDA

View Full Version : You guys do realize that Croom was coming back until the Egg Bowl massacre, right?

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 02:42 PM
And that's even with the loss to Louisiana Tech. And if the Gun Wielding Incident hadn't taken place, he likely goes 6-6 and stays, no matter if Ole Miss blows us out or not (most likely it would have been 38-14 or so instead of 45-0). That's how small the margin for error is. Any injury here, disciplinary act there, a bad call here, bad luck there. ESPECIALLY in Starkville, MS.

4-8, with an Egg Bowl blowout, and you Mullen haters get what you want. Anything above that, he'll come back and he SHOULD come back. Ole Miss brought Nutt back after 4-8 as well, and he didn't have near the roster in 2011 as we do now for next year. So if anyone is drawing parallels between Ole Miss' 2009/2010/2011 track and ours in 2012/2013/2014, you can stop there. There are many similar parallels, but Mullen has recruited decently, where Nutt did not. Nutt's 2011 class would be equivalent to our 2014 class.

All this stuff has a certain way of working itself out. I can't even stress how important these next 3 games are. I'm actually excited to see it play out.

DawgInMemphis
11-15-2013, 02:49 PM
And that's even with the loss to Louisiana Tech. And if the Gun Wielding Incident hadn't taken place, he likely goes 6-6 and stays, no matter if Ole Miss blows us out or not (most likely it would have been 38-14 or so instead of 45-0). That's how small the margin for error is. Any injury here, disciplinary act there, a bad call here, bad luck there. ESPECIALLY in Starkville, MS.

4-8, with an Egg Bowl blowout, and you Mullen haters get what you want. Anything above that, he'll come back and he SHOULD come back. Ole Miss brought Nutt back after 4-8 as well, and he didn't have near the roster in 2011 as we do now for next year. So if anyone is drawing parallels between Ole Miss' 2009/2010/2011 track and ours in 2012/2013/2014, you can stop there. There are many similar parallels, but Mullen has recruited decently, where Nutt did not. Nutt's 2011 class would be equivalent to our 2014 class.

All this stuff has a certain way of working itself out. I can't even stress how important these next 3 games are. I'm actually excited to see it play out.

That bit about Houston Nutt certainly doesn't help your argument, as Ole Miss was TERRIBLE the next year...

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Huh? Did you comprehend the post at all? Especially the part you bolded.

SoJackDog
11-15-2013, 03:58 PM
The Walrus

deltadawg99
11-15-2013, 04:26 PM
You do realize croom had a 21-37 overall record going into that game right? .356 winning percentage is worth firing somebody over.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Huh? Did you comprehend the post at all? Especially the part you bolded.

I comprehended it, and I agree with Dawginmemphis. How does that help your argument? Or are you simply saying it's ok to suck as a coach and as a team, as long as you have better talent out there while sucking.

RC3
11-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Yeah ole miss should've cut bait quicker is what you are saying?

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 07:01 PM
I meant that the situations are different.

Ole Miss brought Nutt back after 4-8 as well, and he didn't have near the roster in 2011 as we do now for next year. So if anyone is drawing parallels between Ole Miss' 2009/2010/2011 track and ours in 2012/2013/2014, you can stop there. There are many similar parallels, but Mullen has recruited decently, where Nutt did not. Nutt's 2011 class would be equivalent to our 2014 class.

The fact that they held onto Nutt in a worse situation, shows how stupid firing Mullen will be.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2013, 09:09 PM
So we should bring someone back because they will not be as bad as 3-8?

DownwardDawg
11-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I meant that the situations are different.

The fact that they held onto Nutt in a worse situation, shows how stupid firing Mullen will be.

The fact that they held onto Nutt (that's great) shows that they were 17'n idiots. So we should be idiots too I guess.

I seen it dawg
11-15-2013, 10:42 PM

You're ****ing stupid. That dude was shitcanned well before that.

hacker
11-15-2013, 11:25 PM
hahaha come on Goat, this shit doesn't even make sense

Coach34
11-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Byrne was given the ok to fire Crooms after the Ga Tech loss. Byrne said he would hold off to the end unless it got too bad

We lost 45-0 and Byrne told Crooms that he was going to fire his staff and hire the replacements. He also told him that the new OC would run the offense. Obviously Crooms said that wasnt going to happen- and they agreed to the buyout.

SnakePlissken
11-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Byrne was given the ok to fire Crooms after the Ga Tech loss. Byrne said he would hold off to the end unless it got too bad

We lost 45-0 and Byrne told Crooms that he was going to fire his staff and hire the replacements. He also told him that the new OC would run the offense. Obviously Crooms said that wasnt going to happen- and they agreed to the buyout.

I thought I remembered Croom saying that he tried to save his job by telling Byrne that he was making changes and he had ady offered the OC position to Al Borges? Am I remembering wrongly?

Coach34
11-16-2013, 12:31 AM
I thought I remembered Croom saying that he tried to save his job by telling Byrne that he was making changes and he had ady offered the OC position to Al Borges? Am I remembering wrongly?

That was what Crooms was offering up- but Byrne told Crooms he was switching to the Spread and Crooms about had a heart attack

M.Fillmore
11-16-2013, 12:35 AM
Here is info I got from Greg Byrne himself. Greg went to talk to Crxxm the Sunday afternoon after the Tennessee game. Byrne gave Crxxm the national offensive rankings where we were something like 116 of 118 teams.
Bryne: "Sylvester, we have invested a lot of money in you and we expect more offence than this.
Crxxm: "John Chavis told me after the game that he had to work harder to prepare for us than any other team this season."
Byrne: "Sylvester, you scored three points."
Crxxm: "I got it covered."
Byrne said he turned to leave Crxxm's office when he heard a tearing sound. Byrne turned around to see Crxxm tearing up the offensive ranking sheet. To say the least, Byrne was not happy.

In the locker room after the 45-0 game, Byrne approached Crxxm and said he wanted a meeting with Crxxm the next day.
Crxxm: "What about."
Byrne: "Your future as the coach of this team."
Crxxm: "Okay." And Crxxm turned away from Byrne.

Based on the above, the story that Crxxm was fired because he refused to fire assistants at the end of the season seems a bit weak.
Also, I think based off what Byrne told me that Crxxm was toast before the game.

thf24
11-16-2013, 02:47 AM

Being reminded of the details got me thinking... was Byrne really going to let Croom come back as a practical puppet, working over an entire staff whose hiring he had nothing to do with; or was he simply making the offer out of propriety, knowing that Croom would refuse and could be cut loose? I'm thinking the latter, but it makes me nervous thinking about where our program might be right now with a few years of that kind of hierarchy in place had Croom consented. Not that it necessarily would have ended badly, just that it seems like it would have been a very strange state to be in.

DownwardDawg
11-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Here is info I got from Greg Byrne himself. Greg went to talk to Crxxm the Sunday afternoon after the Tennessee game. Byrne gave Crxxm the national offensive rankings where we were something like 116 of 118 teams.
Bryne: "Sylvester, we have invested a lot of money in you and we expect more offence than this.
Crxxm: "John Chavis told me after the game that he had to work harder to prepare for us than any other team this season."
Byrne said he turned to leave Crxxm's office when he heard a tearing sound. Byrne turned around to see Crxxm tearing up the offensive ranking sheet. To say the least, Byrne was not happy.

In the locker room after the 45-0 game, Byrne approached Crxxm and said he wanted a meeting with Crxxm the next day.

Based on the above, the story that Crxxm was fired because he refused to fire assistants at the end of the season seems a bit weak.
Also, I think based off what Byrne told me that Crxxm was toast before the game.

^^^This^^^

Todd4State
11-16-2013, 10:15 AM

Didn't Byrne have his meeting with Croom at 2 or 3 in the morning? It was known by the next morning at the very least.

I had heard that Byrne was going to fire him after we lost the Kentucky game that year- which was two weeks after Tennessee, so the timing of what you are saying makes sense because that was only two weeks after this alleged incident and we had a win over Middle Tennessee sandwiched in there.

I think Croom knew what was coming or what was about to happen because there is no way he would have contacted and offered a job to Al Borges if he knew he wasn't going to have to make some changes. I had also heard that McCorvey was going to go to some desk job or something. But who knows? I'm not even sure if Borges would have come here.

Coach34
11-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Byrne knew Crooms was not going to accept any of the demands placed on him and it would be over. Strick did the same thing to Stands. That's how AD's operate

MidTNDawg
11-16-2013, 10:48 AM

This entire thread is interesting to say the least. Some of it may be, probably is, correct. But the initial premise of Croom coming back is flat out wrong!

hacker
11-16-2013, 11:03 AM

Impressive how many times you actually typed "Crxxm"

SignalToNoise
11-16-2013, 11:43 AM

When I read the convo Byrne had with Croom I thought you might be joking. Especially the Chavis quote. I laughed out loud at that.