PDA

View Full Version : Backfield

Cowbell
08-12-2021, 07:39 AM
Does anyone else feel like we have the most talented backfield since JS was coach? I have a feeling our running back duo is gonna wake some people up this year.

MaroonFlounder
08-12-2021, 08:09 AM
Does anyone else feel like we have the most talented backfield since JS was coach? I have a feeling our running back duo is gonna wake some people up this year.

I know Joquavious Marks will get the most game action, and I like him as a RB with playmaking ability, but Dillon Johnson was the more physical runner last year and in the spring game.

DJ would have been a monster in JWS or Mullen offense.

Marks took a beating last year in the checkdown receptions where he was crushed as soon as he caught the ball. It is stupid. His back to the defender, and no time to turn, square up, and attempt to get YAC.

Cowbell
08-12-2021, 08:43 AM
I know Joquavious Marks will get the most game action, and I like him as a RB with playmaking ability, but Dillon Johnson was the more physical runner last year and in the spring game.

DJ would have been a monster in JWS or Mullen offense.

Marks took a beating last year in the checkdown receptions where he was crushed as soon as he caught the ball. It is stupid. His back to the defender, and no time to turn, square up, and attempt to get YAC.

Wyatt is really impressed by Johnson so far in practice - says he looks like an SEC back. Hoping we utilize him correctly.
I also think the check done receptions were irresponsible on our part. I kept waiting for Mark's to get knocked out of games. Tough dude.

StarkVegasSteve
08-12-2021, 08:47 AM
Just watch out for Hargrove. He's going to be too talented to keep off the field. We might have the steals of the last two recruiting cycles with Walley and now Hargrove.

Maverick91
08-12-2021, 08:54 AM
DJ was interviewed after practice a day or so ago and was asked about Hargrove all he said with a smile on his face was "dude is fast, man dude is fast" there you go.

Cowbell
08-12-2021, 09:37 AM
Just watch out for Hargrove. He's going to be too talented to keep off the field. We might have the steals of the last two recruiting cycles with Walley and now Hargrove.

This is what I'm hearing as well. Glad that Kylin went in the draft.

BayouDawg
08-12-2021, 10:30 AM
I think having a whole offseason and everyone on the team now bought in will lead to much different looking offense.

TrapGame
08-12-2021, 11:51 AM
I think having a whole offseason and everyone on the team now bought in will lead to much different looking offense.

That's why I don't get some of the people thinking we will be just as inept on offense like most of last season. And that the 3-8 Boogie Man defense is the death knell for this offense.

Having these guys on the same page w/ some chemistry is gonna win some games. And I mean SEC games not just LA Tech and NC State.

R2Dawg
08-12-2021, 12:31 PM

No way. Norwood, Dixion, Robinson, etc. Love Marks/Johnson but they ain't even close to those. Even if they were, we'll never know it.

I hope they leave us complaining about they could both have been 1000yd rushers. That would mean we probably had a decent year.

R2Dawg
08-12-2021, 12:35 PM
DJ was interviewed after practice a day or so ago and was asked about Hargrove all he said with a smile on his face was "dude is fast, man dude is fast" there you go.

Don't know much about Hargrove, what is the skinny? Was he under valued as a recruit, what kept him down?

Coach34
08-12-2021, 12:48 PM

Not if all they gonna do is catch swing passes all season.

Hambone
08-12-2021, 12:55 PM
Don't know much about Hargrove, what is the skinny? Was he under valued as a recruit, what kept him down?

He had knee surgery and was limited his senior season. A lot of schools backed off due to not knowing if he would recover completely.

Lucky for us, looks like he has recovered completely and then some

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2021, 12:57 PM

Ummm, we have had some really talented running back rooms since JS left. Its probably been our deepest offensive position the last 20 years.

I don't see a Norwood, Dixon, or even a Jrob. Doesn't mean we don't have some talent there, but i'm just saying we have had some special RB's the last 20 years.

PMDawg
08-12-2021, 01:31 PM
It really doesn't matter if we didn't learn how (or upgrade talent enough) to create running lanes against a 3-8 defense.

Percho
08-12-2021, 02:00 PM
Not if all they gonna do is catch swing passes all season.

They have been practicing some option pitches.

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2021, 02:17 PM
They have been practicing some option pitches.

I don't want Rogers running a ton of option. I think he has special talent that fits the Leach offense, i don't want him getting pounded trying to create a running game.

Maverick91
08-12-2021, 02:41 PM

he was a 4 star for us last recruiting cycle. I'm not very knowledgeable about the recruiting stuff. But, he might have been in a lower tire division.

Cowbell
08-12-2021, 02:41 PM
No way. Norwood, Dixion, Robinson, etc. Love Marks/Johnson but they ain't even close to those. Even if they were, we'll never know it.

I hope they leave us complaining about they could both have been 1000yd rushers. That would mean we probably had a decent year.

Well those three guys didn't play together, so...

Maverick91
08-12-2021, 02:44 PM
It really doesn't matter if we didn't learn how (or upgrade talent enough) to create running lanes against a 3-8 defense.

I think we are going to be very surprised with the oline abilities this year. Gotta think oline is one of the hardest positions to learn, we brought in a new coach with very different blocking designs than what we have done our whole football career.... and then remove spring training last year for the line to learn that new system. This year is going to be really different.

Cowbell
08-12-2021, 02:50 PM
Ummm, we have had some really talented running back rooms since JS left. Its probably been our deepest offensive position the last 20 years.

I don't see a Norwood, Dixon, or even a Jrob. Doesn't mean we don't have some talent there, but i'm just saying we have had some special RB's the last 20 years.

When did we have three guys this talented and Highly recruited out of high school on the same football team in the last 20 years?

TrapGame
08-12-2021, 02:51 PM
I don't want Rogers running a ton of option. I think he has special talent that fits the Leach offense, i don't want him getting pounded trying to create a running game.

You know Leach ain't gonna do that. I doubt Will runs it himself more than three or four times per game. Those delayed hand offs we were doing in the Mizzou and Tulsa games will probably be the staple. We get the defense back pedaling at the snap and two seconds later Marks has it coming out of the backfield with WRs blocking.

TheLostDawg
08-12-2021, 03:47 PM
When did we have three guys this talented and Highly recruited out of high school on the same football team in the last 20 years?

Last year?

TheLostDawg
08-12-2021, 03:48 PM
Does anyone else feel like we have the most talented backfield ever during Leach's time coaching? I have a feeling our running back duo is gonna wake some people up this year.

Fixed it

msugolf
08-12-2021, 09:30 PM

2002 we had Justin Griffith, Norwood, dontae walker, and Nick turner

Jarius
08-12-2021, 09:40 PM

I can rarely think of a time when we did not have this much talent in the backfield. We have always had a ton of studs. Outside the year mullen put Holloway in the starting lineup we have always been blessed at that position with highly rated guys.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-12-2021, 10:10 PM

Aeris, Gibson, & Kylin. All 4*

HancockCountyDog
08-12-2021, 10:31 PM
Aeris, Gibson, & Kylin. All 4*

Yeah - I really liked the following:

2011 - Ballard, Perkins and JRob. If you like stars, Robert Elliot was on that team too.

I mean, we don't have anyone on the roster as talented as Dixon, Norwood, Ballard or Robinson in my opinion. Maybe Hargrove can be a difference maker.

It is hard to judge the current RB's based on the offense though. Dixon would be terrible in this offense and we all know what a stud he was.

Cowbell
08-13-2021, 12:10 AM
You got me there. Good group

Captain Falcon
08-13-2021, 01:11 AM

Unfortunately 2002 Dontae was a shell of what he was early in his career.

99jc
08-13-2021, 08:14 AM
Unfortunately 2002 Dontae was a shell of what he was early in his career.

Dontaes biggest enemy was food. i heard horror stories on how much he ate,

99jc
08-13-2021, 08:27 AM
https://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/344/mississippi-state-bulldogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN_tJ2MFeQ4