PDA

View Full Version : Wow the preseason Coach's poll is a real shocker

Indndawg
08-11-2021, 01:47 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-alabama-clemson-lead-first-college-football-rankings-of-2021-season/

StarkVegasSteve
08-11-2021, 01:56 PM
Any poll released before the 1st CFP poll is completely and utterly pointless. The only thing the AP and Coaches are used for is to give sports talk radio something to talk about and to hype early season matchups.

Lord McBuckethead
08-11-2021, 02:07 PM
Tied for 53rd in the country. That seems about right, prior to kickoff.

StateDawg44
08-11-2021, 02:13 PM
Any poll released before the 1st CFP poll is completely and utterly pointless. The only thing the AP and Coaches are used for is to give sports talk radio something to talk about and to hype early season matchups.

Really until about week 3 they are pointless.

Indndawg
08-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Really until about week 3 they are pointless.

I blv it skews early season rankings way too much. Wait about any polls and let everybody start off unranked

TrapGame
08-11-2021, 02:27 PM
Outside the top ten that poll is garbage.

ETA: Nope, that whole poll is hot garbage.

sleepy dawg
08-11-2021, 03:40 PM

Any poll that is not the CFP serves no real purpose. While there are still certain computer polls I like to follow, ultimately, none of them mean anything at any point except the CFP poll at the end of the season.

Coach34
08-11-2021, 05:30 PM
Looks pretty good to me for a preseason poll. A&M may be a tad high as they should be in the 10-12 range but they gonna be pretty salty.

Bdawg
08-11-2021, 11:09 PM
Tulsa ahead of us. Ha

PGHBulldogBG
08-12-2021, 06:43 AM
I?m really shocked they are putting Iowa State number 8. Not because they don?t deserve it I think they actually are a top 5 team this year but because they aren?t a media darling and their fanbase doesn?t have a bandwagon. I hope Matt Campbell wins it all just to show that a mid tier program can win it with the right coach and give a program with real fans a title

Dawgfan77
08-12-2021, 06:53 AM
Still don't understand the OM love. The defense will once again be bad. They lost Moore and the TE. Corral played well at times last year and at times he was a TO machine. Without the safety net of Moore and TE I'm not sure how successful he is going to be.

Dawgology
08-12-2021, 08:19 AM
Still don't understand the OM love. The defense will once again be bad. They lost Moore and the TE. Corral played well at times last year and at times he was a TO machine. Without the safety net of Moore and TE I'm not sure how successful he is going to be.

Ole Miss is all hype and marketing that?s all they ever are. They haven?t had a winning season 2015 but they are picked this way every year. It?s one of the reasons that college football is broken. They will end the year just like us, somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4.

ETA: they went 5-5 last year in the weirdest year ever. They have the same QB, a worse receiving Corp, and maybe a slightly better defense (maybe). My bold prediction is that state will end the season with a better record than them. And, yes, that is a 100% homer pick.

Maverick91
08-12-2021, 08:48 AM
Ole Miss is all hype and marketing that?s all they ever are. They haven?t had a winning season 2015 but they are picked this way every year. It?s one of the reasons that college football is broken. They will end the year just like us, somewhere between 6-6 and 8-4.

ETA: they went 5-5 last year in the weirdest year ever. They have the same QB, a worse receiving Corp, and maybe a slightly better defense (maybe). My bold prediction is that state will end the season with a better record than them. And, yes, that is a 100% homer pick.

With Statistical backing!

Dawgology
08-12-2021, 08:49 AM
With Statistical backing!

My stats are culled from only the finest databases! Haha

Maverick91
08-12-2021, 08:55 AM
My stats are culled from only the finest databases! Haha

lol same!

StarkVegasSteve
08-12-2021, 09:07 AM

I can't understand why people aren't talking about this more. They act like this offense is just plug and play and everyone is going to look like Elijah Moore. Moore was an outlier and one of OM's best recruiting hits of the past 10 years. He's not their typical WR. There were times where Corral just threw it up and expected Moore to catch it. Lane tailored that entire offense to making sure Moore got in space. Add in to that Yeboah who he always made sure was the safety valve checkdown and you can see why Corral put up the numbers he did.

Corral- 231-326 for 3337 yds in 2020. Moore had 86 of those completions and Yeboah and Moore combined had 113. So Moore counted for 37% of the completions and he and Yeboah combined for 48%. So basically 50% of his completions were to two guys that are gone yet somehow they're not going to take a step back. And I won't even get started on how record setting bad their defense is going to be this year. I'd be careful if I was them. Satterfield will have Louisville ready to play Game 1.

BB30
08-12-2021, 12:29 PM
Looks pretty good to me for a preseason poll. A&M may be a tad high as they should be in the 10-12 range but they gonna be pretty salty.

Thought the same thing. Not bad for a preseason poll, have seen much worse.

BB30
08-12-2021, 12:31 PM
I can't understand why people aren't talking about this more. They act like this offense is just plug and play and everyone is going to look like Elijah Moore. Moore was an outlier and one of OM's best recruiting hits of the past 10 years. He's not their typical WR. There were times where Corral just threw it up and expected Moore to catch it. Lane tailored that entire offense to making sure Moore got in space. Add in to that Yeboah who he always made sure was the safety valve checkdown and you can see why Corral put up the numbers he did.

Corral- 231-326 for 3337 yds in 2020. Moore had 86 of those completions and Yeboah and Moore combined had 113. So Moore counted for 37% of the completions and he and Yeboah combined for 48%. So basically 50% of his completions were to two guys that are gone yet somehow they're not going to take a step back. And I won't even get started on how record setting bad their defense is going to be this year. I'd be careful if I was them. Satterfield will have Louisville ready to play Game 1.

While they may take a step back Corral will be better with a year under his belt in the system and another year of maturity. I think they end up 7-5 or 8-4 depending on what the defense looks like. FWIW I think we play each other at the end of the year to see who finishes with 8 wins.

Coach34
08-12-2021, 12:45 PM
Mississippi is a 7-5 maybe 8-4 team in 2021 depending on the Egg Bowl winner

Lance Harbor
08-12-2021, 02:30 PM
https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/coaches-poll-top-25-alabama-clemson-lead-first-college-football-rankings-of-2021-season/

Just really enjoy the annual UGA optimism and then watch them blow it in the end. UGA: doing less with more since Les left LSU.

Tbonewannabe
08-12-2021, 03:14 PM

They also ducked A&M by claiming Covid on the last week to prevent a losing record. They were scared little bitches whereas we were trotting out 40-50 guys almost every week down the stretch.

StarkVegasSteve
08-12-2021, 03:16 PM
They also ducked A&M by claiming Covid on the last week to prevent a losing record. They were scared little bitches whereas we were trotting out 40-50 guys almost every week down the stretch.

I completely forgot about them "magically" coming down with COVID before they had to go to A&M. Just a strange coincidence. Made them losing the next week to LSU that much sweeter.

Bothrops
08-12-2021, 10:48 PM
I think they forgot that we have a HC returning this year.

Dawgfan77
08-13-2021, 07:02 AM
Matty ice threw 11 ints against AR and LSU. I think we see more of this from corral this year. Combined with a bad defense.

Coach34
08-13-2021, 01:17 PM
Matty ice threw 11 ints against AR and LSU. I think we see more of this from corral this year. Combined with a bad defense.

Coral threw 29 TDs in 10 games with over 3,300 yards. You can expect him to exceed that in 2021 with 13 games to play and a full year of experience. Plumlee has the athletic ability to become a good WR for them. They led the SEC in rushing offense in addition to all the passing yards. They will be very good on offense and to think otherwise is stupid. Now they were legendary bad on defense and they really can’t be any worse there. How much improvement there is a guess. But if they just become a bad defensive team instead of embarrassing it will be an improvement.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-13-2021, 01:24 PM

remember this preseason poll?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2165803-ap-preseason-poll-2014-complete-college-football-rankings-released

Dawgfan77
08-13-2021, 06:16 PM
Coral threw 29 TDs in 10 games with over 3,300 yards. You can expect him to exceed that in 2021 with 13 games to play and a full year of experience. Plumlee has the athletic ability to become a good WR for them. They led the SEC in rushing offense in addition to all the passing yards. They will be very good on offense and to think otherwise is stupid. Now they were legendary bad on defense and they really can’t be any worse there. How much improvement there is a guess. But if they just become a bad defensive team instead of embarrassing it will be an improvement.

JRP has struggled catching the ball. Super athletic but not sure handed. They have no breakaway guy like Moore and In fact they have toyed with moving JE at WR at times. You can love you some Corral all you want but facts are he doesn't have the weapons like he did last year.
You are gonna see a lot of forced balls this year from Matty Ice.

Coach34
08-13-2021, 07:39 PM
JRP has struggled catching the ball. Super athletic but not sure handed. They have no breakaway guy like Moore and In fact they have toyed with moving JE at WR at times. You can love you some Corral all you want but facts are he doesn't have the weapons like he did last year.
You are gonna see a lot of forced balls this year from Matty Ice.

They are looking to play Ealy at WR some so they don’t have talent standing around on the sideline while someone else is in. Which is what good coaches do. Get your talent on the field.

Dawgfan77
08-13-2021, 08:57 PM
They are looking to play Ealy at WR some so they don’t have talent standing around on the sideline while someone else is in. Which is what good coaches do. Get your talent on the field.

So you take an experienced RB in the SEC and move him to WR.... have another beer bro

Coach34
08-14-2021, 09:39 AM
So you take an experienced RB in the SEC and move him to WR.... have another beer bro

I’ll type slower for you- Ealy is going to play RB AND some SLOT