PDA

View Full Version : Ducks

hdc
11-15-2013, 11:56 AM
Heard this cold front pushed new ducks into the state this week. Going to check on that before the game tomorrow. Anybody noticed the duck numbers in the Delta this week?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Heard this cold front pushed new ducks into the state this week. Going to check on that before the game tomorrow. Anybody noticed the duck numbers in the Delta this week?
I've seen some decent numbers in various places and they mentioned it last night on the MS Outdoors radio show. They didn't go into much detail, but did say there has been some good reports. Here's a link to the DU Migration Map: http://www.ducks.org/migrationmap/ And a link to the MDWFP migration page: http://www.mdwfp.com/wildlife-hunting/waterfowl-program/weekly-duck-migration.aspx

SoJackDog
11-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Had a youth hunt lined up near Yazoo but no water.

hdc
11-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Was lack of water due to lack of rain, or someone's failure to turn on a pump? I would have thought we have had enough rain to put water in most natural duck holes. If not, those with water should be in real good shape for opening day.

KeyWest225Dawg
11-16-2013, 12:28 AM
I have seen quite a few mallards in mahannah the last two days. I saw several groups come in 100+ birds

BeastMan
11-16-2013, 12:45 AM
I have seen quite a few mallards in mahannah the last two days. I saw several groups come in 100+ birds

I'm judging from your username that I really like your boat. They look like fishing machines. Thanks for joining the outdoor Dawg discussion

KeyWest225Dawg
11-17-2013, 08:45 PM
I'm judging from your username that I really like your boat. They look like fishing machines. Thanks for joining the outdoor Dawg discussion

Thanks beastman. It's an awesome fishing boat especially paired up with the e-tec. I have been reading a while, but don't post on the main board, but I love talking hunting and especially fishing

Madkinmecrazy
11-17-2013, 10:20 PM
Deer hunting this weekend near Satartia on the Yazoo but saw several thousand ducks get up off some big water at one point. Also saw a few hundred funneling into a hole at dusk on Saturday night.

I saw the same huge groups at this time last year, and once the shooting started I never saw them in that big of numbers again.

hdc
11-18-2013, 12:17 AM
Saw a good number of ducks in the Delta this weekend. Should be a good opener.

J-Dawg
11-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Gonna be another year of mainly public land for me. Still didn't get our hands on a lease.

Did a little bit of preliminary scouting at Sunflower WMA and some of the deeper sloughs had water, obviously, but some of the other areas that rely on natural rainfall didn't quite have enough water on them. Didn't get a chance to check out the greentrees, however, so no clue on them.

BTW, I think it'd be good to have an Outdoor Dawgs Classified thread pinned at the top (if there isn't already one). Give another outlet to get duck leases or memberships into the hands of fellow Dawgs.

State82
11-18-2013, 01:10 PM
Gonna be another year of mainly public land for me. Still didn't get our hands on a lease.

Did a little bit of preliminary scouting at Sunflower WMA and some of the deeper sloughs had water, obviously, but some of the other areas that rely on natural rainfall didn't quite have enough water on them. Didn't get a chance to check out the greentrees, however, so no clue on them.

BTW, I think it'd be good to have an Outdoor Dawgs Classified thread pinned at the top (if there isn't already one). Give another outlet to get duck leases or memberships into the hands of fellow Dawgs.

Don't think they pumped the greentrees at Sunflower J-Dawg. Not sure if it was a mechanical problem or not enough water at the pump stations or what, but the ones on Hwy. 16 and Long Bayou were not pumped. Its possible one of the compartments at the South Greentree could be, but I don't think so.

J-Dawg
11-18-2013, 01:41 PM
Don't think they pumped the greentrees at Sunflower J-Dawg. Not sure if it was a mechanical problem or not enough water at the pump stations or what, but the ones on Hwy. 16 and Long Bayou were not pumped. Its possible one of the compartments at the South Greentree could be, but I don't think so.

Bastards. They only pumped the Redline last year because the pumps were broken (according to them). Figured they would have fixed that problem.

Oh well, the rest of the greentrees will generally have enough natural water by January to hunt them a couple of times late season.

hdc
11-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Got a report that SW Ms (Woodville/Natchez) area has a decent number of ducks.