PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Names Oxford As America?s Best College Town

Dawg_Lover
08-09-2021, 05:16 PM
https://www.enterprise-tocsin.com/press-releases-state-sports/espn-names-oxford-americas-best-college-town-6111597244338#sthash.4oL5HcJU.dpbs

No surprise.

barf

Note: Link doesn?t work, but can google the title, if you want to read that drivel.

Extendedcab
08-09-2021, 05:20 PM
For what? Getting drunk and puking in public?

TrapGame
08-09-2021, 05:24 PM
Whoopie ****ing doo.

schddog72
08-09-2021, 05:34 PM
https://www.enterprise-tocsin.com/press-releases-state-sports/espn-names-oxford-americas-best-college-town-6111597244338#sthash.4oL5HcJU.dpbs

No surprise.

barf

Note: Link doesn?t work, but can google the title, if you want to read that drivel.

Yeah, for argyle sock-wearing panty waists . . . . . .

ZedFedder
08-09-2021, 05:36 PM
It’s a nice place. The best? Mehhhh.

BeardoMSU
08-09-2021, 05:54 PM
It’s a nice place. The best? Mehhhh.

This.

As far as SEC, Athens has it beat handily.

Barkman Turner Overdrive
08-09-2021, 06:01 PM

No surprise.

barf

Raise a banner! Break out the Robitussin, cold chicken fingers, and candelabras!

Dawg_Lover
08-09-2021, 06:05 PM
Raise a banner! Break out the Robitussin, cold chicken fingers, and candelabras!

Robitussin must be fo da hot toddy...

FISHDAWG
08-10-2021, 07:31 AM
This.

As far as SEC, Athens has it beat handily.

as well as Knoxville or Nashville

Tbonewannabe
08-10-2021, 07:50 AM
Seems like I heard one of the higher ups at ESPN has a degree from the Plantation. Could be how they get this crap on ESPN.

MedDawg
08-10-2021, 09:08 AM

No surprise.

barf

The ESPN tweet said something like "from our 'expert' ", so it was one guy at ESPN who did the rankings.

Maroonthirteen
08-10-2021, 09:56 AM
Just for sake of discussion....... WHat I like about Oxford. You can hit all the popular spots on the square for a bite to eat. Hit up the Library for a few drinks and watch games. THen easily walk to the stadium. The Grove... is over crowded. Extremely over crowded.

State has as more comfortable, as big and just as good tailgating scene. Starkville is coming along with the Cotton District. THat is my new go to (as when I am in Oxford). Hang out in the Cotton DIstrict with a meal, drink and watch a game if I can find a TV. THen walk to stadium for game.

I have been to Tuscaloosa many many times but not in over 10 years. Ive been to Fayetteville and Auburn more than a few times. All are nice towns, but don't seem to have the cozy, married to the campus feel as Starkville and Oxford. Alot of that has to do with them being larger towns and the layout....but thats just my take.

Ive been to Athens once in 1997. I can't comment on it.

Nashville, Knoxville, Gainesville, BR.....while all nice cities.....are cities on their own that the school happens to be located. Those cities have advantages over the small towns for logistics. However, I wouldn't call them college towns.

Cowbell
08-10-2021, 10:31 AM
Yeah well ESPN also gave Caitlyn Jenner an ESPY so.....

R2Dawg
08-10-2021, 11:17 AM
as well as Knoxville or Nashville

I guess if you want the city life but Knoxville is crap, Nashville if you want a big city. Downtown campuses have no college feel to them.

Athens and Auburn would be two good choices outside of Starkvegas.

StarkVegasSteve
08-10-2021, 11:21 AM
Athens and Auburn are far and away the two best college towns in the SEC.

If I had to rank them I'd probably go:

1. Athens
2. Auburn
3. Fayetteville
4. Columbia, SC
5. College Station
6. Nashville
7. Knoxville
8. Lexington
9. Oxford
10. Starkville
11. Tuscaloosa

12. Gainesville
13. Baton Rouge

14. CoMo

FISHDAWG
08-10-2021, 12:09 PM
I guess if you want the city life but Knoxville is crap, Nashville if you want a big city. Downtown campuses have no college feel to them.

Athens and Auburn would be two good choices outside of Starkvegas.

I guess it's just individual perception but I don't think Knoxville is crap - far from it. I know the city and area very very well .... And I went to Lipscomb in Nashville so I'm speaking from experience. As far as downtown campus having no college feel I know several that have that "feel" ... Ever been in Jacksonville, Fl on game day weekend ? Or Folsum Field in Boulder, Co ?
Not busting your chops here just saying not everyone feels the way you do

ETA - Auburn sucks

Tbonewannabe
08-10-2021, 12:41 PM
Oxford is the best town.......to get a STD.

StarkVegasSteve
08-10-2021, 12:48 PM
Oxford is the best town.......to get a STD.

I think Gainesville is still the winner for that imo.

Tbonewannabe
08-10-2021, 01:06 PM

I guess it depends on if it is Recruitapalooza in Oxford where all the alumni are pimping out their wives, girlfriends, and daughters.

PGHBulldogBG
08-10-2021, 08:01 PM
Not counting Miss State. I?ve been to Bama, Ole Miss, Vandy, Tenn, So Carolina and Texas A&M. College Station was by far the best. I hear Athens is great though and mixed views on all the others from people

BeardoMSU
08-10-2021, 08:20 PM
Starkville isn't in the same universe as a city as it was 15 or 20 years ago. Its improved soooo much. Unfortunately, not many people (especially in sports media) know that.

Turfdawg67
08-10-2021, 08:27 PM
Starkville isn't in the same universe as a city as it was 15 or 20 years ago. Its improved soooo much. Unfortunately, not many people (especially in sports media) know that.

You are right. And as a guy that grew up there, it's crazy how much better the restaurant/bar scene is now. But as a whole... when I com back to town, I can't help but think of what it COULD be. Starkville is basically the campus + Hwy 12, period. Unless you are familiar with the area or someone guides you to the Cotton District, but even then...

DownwardDawg
08-10-2021, 08:34 PM

Baton Rouge. It was the US leader in AIDS at one time.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-10-2021, 08:36 PM
1. One of ESPNs VPs is an Ole Miss grad. That?s why we get to enjoy The Season all year long. That?s probably the expert that picked Oxford.
2. The leadership of Oxford has embraced Ole Miss and built upon that relationship the last 20 years or so and yes Oxford has passed Starkville. I live 20 minutes from Oxford and I go to Starkville every chance I get, but Oxford is a better town. It used to not be. The leadership at Starkville has never embraced MSU and it doesn?t look like that will change anytime soon.
3. Tuscaloosa and Auburn are bigger versions of Tupelo with a University.
4. Nashville is not a college town. It?s a party town and tourist trap, but that has nothing to do with Vandy.
5. Baton Rouge, Gainesville, eww.
6. Fayetteville meh NW Ark seems to be a good place to raise a family tho.
7. Knoxville seems pretty cool.
8. Athens > Oxford by a lot.
9. Dont know anything about College Station or Columbia, but I have a buddy that says Raleigh NC > Columbia.
10. Looking forward to a road trip to Austin in 3-4 years.

TheLostDawg
08-12-2021, 04:47 PM

I agree and they need to keep putting sports bars/restaurants in the cotton district areas. Great for visitors who don't have a tailgate to get a drink/food before the game or before basketball/baseball games. Yes the library is close to the Grove but not near as close at 2 brothers is to the junction. Cotton district has a lot of potential and the better we get at sports (and maintain in baseball) the more other team fans will come and really get to see what we have to offer + more money/growth.

That being said, yes Starkville is behind Oxford about 5-10 years but has more potential if the city would get behind the school and not distance itself. I think it's heading that way though, just wish it would faster but I think people are seeing the potential and those who put the money in now are really going to reap the rewards especially if our sports teams continue to improve.

Ari Gold
08-12-2021, 06:58 PM
Yeah well ESPN also gave Caitlyn Jenner an ESPY so.....

This...

IMissJack
08-12-2021, 08:27 PM
Athens and Auburn are far and away the two best college towns in the SEC.

If I had to rank them I'd probably go:

1. Athens
2. Auburn
3. Fayetteville
4. Columbia, SC
5. College Station
6. Nashville
7. Knoxville
8. Lexington
9. Oxford
10. Starkville
11. Tuscaloosa

12. Gainesville
13. Baton Rouge

14. CoMo

I don?t see College Station at 5, and I have been there a lot.

Bothrops
08-12-2021, 11:16 PM
I can arbitrarily say Land Rover is the greatest auto company on the planet. Not because me or anyone else believes it to be true, but because I said it's true. It's ESPN, they are corrupt just like Ole Miss, and inducements are the name of the game.

ShotgunDawg
08-12-2021, 11:21 PM
Best college town in America is Boulder, Colorado and it?s not close.

Next question

TheLostDawg
08-13-2021, 02:14 PM
Starkville also needs to start putting money into their pubic schools. That's another place Oxford is way ahead of us on.

lastmajordog
08-16-2021, 12:45 PM
Have a feeling that TV (ESPN) celebs are prob treated to the same Perks that star recruits are. Nothing to back that up but have felt that way for MANY years.

SouthMSDog
08-16-2021, 04:42 PM
Aside from a few racist rocks, I hear Madison, WI is an awesome college town.