PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Bowden passed away early this morning

MetEdDawg
08-08-2021, 06:40 AM
Was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer last month and passed away early this morning.

One of the best to ever do it. Sad loss for the football world.

State82
08-08-2021, 06:49 AM
Man I hate to hear that. RIP to a true football legend.

FISHDAWG
08-08-2021, 08:17 AM
Sad news indeed... I never liked the guy until I met him in person... he owned me after that

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-08-2021, 11:32 AM
What he did for Marshall was pretty awesome.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-08-2021, 02:23 PM
Remind me what he did for Marshall

msstatelp1
08-08-2021, 03:59 PM
Remind me what he did for Marshall

From Wiki:
"During Bowden's first year as head coach at WVU, the football team of the state's other top-division school, Marshall University, were killed in a plane crash. He asked NCAA permission to wear Marshall jerseys and play Marshall's final game of the 1970 season against Ohio, but was denied. In memory of the victims of the crash, Mountaineers players put green crosses and the initials "MU" on their helmets. Bowden allowed Marshall's new head coach Jack Lengyel and his assistants access to game film and playbooks to acquaint themselves with the veer offense, a variation of the option offense which aids teams with weak offensive lines. Lengyel credits Bowden with helping the young Thundering Herd recover. Bowden reportedly became emotional while viewing the movie We Are Marshall, and has said that he was the original candidate for the Marshall head coaching job filled by crash victim Rick Tolley."

R2Dawg
08-08-2021, 06:34 PM
Good guy. He built FSU from nothing.

Bothrops
08-08-2021, 07:27 PM
From Wiki:
"During Bowden's first year as head coach at WVU, the football team of the state's other top-division school, Marshall University, were killed in a plane crash. He asked NCAA permission to wear Marshall jerseys and play Marshall's final game of the 1970 season against Ohio, but was denied. In memory of the victims of the crash, Mountaineers players put green crosses and the initials "MU" on their helmets. Bowden allowed Marshall's new head coach Jack Lengyel and his assistants access to game film and playbooks to acquaint themselves with the veer offense, a variation of the option offense which aids teams with weak offensive lines. Lengyel credits Bowden with helping the young Thundering Herd recover. Bowden reportedly became emotional while viewing the movie We Are Marshall, and has said that he was the original candidate for the Marshall head coaching job filled by crash victim Rick Tolley."

That's really something there.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-09-2021, 07:32 AM
Also saw Sabans statement. Saban said while Bowden was at WV, Sabans dad passed. His dad knew Bowden. Bowden contacted him and said if he needed to be closer to his mom, he would make a place on his staff for him. Class act!