PDA

View Full Version : Just looking through our depth chart

Cowbell
08-07-2021, 11:46 PM
We have a lot of depth on this team. There really isn't a glaring hole anywhere. Bucky mentions it hinging on the oline. I think it hinges on offensive scheme and QB play. We can be as good as those two things allow us to be. Our D will be fun to watch, especially if our offense doesn't turn it over and go 3 n out much.

HoopsDawg
08-08-2021, 12:13 AM
We are extremely thin at corner. We are about a notch below in overall talent level to compete with the upper echelon of the SEC.

And yes, I have serious doubts about our offensive scheme.

KOdawg1
08-08-2021, 08:46 AM
The air raid in it's original form will not work in today's SEC. It won't. We're going to have to get creative. Zone reads, sweeps, play action, etc. If we add some modern aspects to the air raid (like Kingsbury, Riley, and other Leach disciples have done) then it can and will work. There have been some rumblings that we've been adding some designed QB runs... if that's true, then look out.

MaroonFlounder
08-08-2021, 08:58 AM
If Leach is too stubborn to hand off to a back against a defense that is 7 or 8 back in coverage, then that's on him.

Just take 10 or so of those dump-off passes in which our RB gets tackled as soon as he catches the ball for a 1 or 2-yard gain...and just hand it off. Marks and DJ are more than capable of making opposing Defense pay for that zone.

If not, we'll be one dimensional and struggle to go 6-6

Todd4State
08-08-2021, 09:18 AM
If Leach is too stubborn to hand off to a back against a defense that is 7 or 8 back in coverage, then that's on him.

Just take 10 or so of those dump-off passes in which our RB gets tackled as soon as he catches the ball for a 1 or 2-yard gain...and just hand it off. Marks and DJ are more than capable of making opposing Defense pay for that zone.

If not, we'll be one dimensional and struggle to go 6-6

It took Marks and Johnson a little while to get acclimated last season. On most of those swing passes they would dance instead of just heading up the field. It got much better the last few games of the year though so they will be fine.

Same with handoffs. I saw a stat from a guy that does analytics for SEC football and one of our least successful plays last year was inside zone.

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2021, 10:26 AM
Everything is there to be successful if the OL can protect long enough. This is a DL league so it wont be easy but we already are getting our best 5 out there and creating more depth by making Smith the 6th man.

QB and scheme will be fine. Those rumblings about QB runs have some validity to them but it wont be more than speed option or maybe a draw. Leach is not going to change yall can hang that up. We will run the ball more and more effectively this year than we did a year ago.

There is a lot more to it than just hand it off they are dropping 8.

HoopsDawg
08-08-2021, 10:39 AM
Everything is there to be successful if the OL can protect long enough. This is a DL league so it wont be easy but we already are getting our best 5 out there and creating more depth by making Smith the 6th man.

QB and scheme will be fine. Those rumblings about QB runs have some validity to them but it wont be more than speed option or maybe a draw. Leach is not going to change yall can hang that up. We will run the ball more and more effectively this year than we did a year ago.

It seems you are saying Leach hasn't made any adjustments nor will he. I agree with you. That means we will not be a successful offense.

Jarius
08-08-2021, 10:56 AM
It seems you are saying Leach hasn't made any adjustments nor will he. I agree with you. That means we will not be a successful offense.

You can keep banging this drum all you want to but it doesn’t make it any less ignorant.

bulldawg28
08-08-2021, 10:56 AM

We were successful last year towards the end. The team will take a big jump this year. You guys don't realize how having a new offense with no spring impacts everything.

HoopsDawg
08-08-2021, 11:08 AM
We were successful last year towards the end. The team will take a big jump this year. You guys don't realize how having a new offense with no spring impacts everything.

we had 270 total yards and only 16 first downs in our last game against Tulsa. 148 passing, 123 rushing.

The common fan like Jarius doesn't understand that wide splits are only successful if you can get rid of the ball quickly. But when teams are dropping 8 there is no where to go quickly so you end up dumping it off to the RB in the flats, taking a sack, or forcing a pass.

Then the running game doesn't really work unless your linemen can win all of the 1 on 1 battles b/c it's very difficult to double team block. Of course, every Leach disciple has figured this out and have adapted. Every single coach except for Joe Lee Leach. Maybe he will adjust but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Jarius
08-08-2021, 11:21 AM
we had 270 total yards and only 16 first downs in our last game against Tulsa. 148 passing, 123 rushing.

The common fan like Jarius doesn't understand that wide splits are only successful if you can get rid of the ball quickly. But when teams are dropping 8 there is no where to go quickly so you end up dumping it off to the RB in the flats, taking a sack, or forcing a pass.

Then the running game doesn't really work unless your linemen can win all of the 1 on 1 battles b/c it's very difficult to double team block. Of course, every Leach disciple has figured this out and have adapted. Every single coach except for Joe Lee Leach. Maybe he will adjust but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

Oh Jesus Christ. You are just sooooo much smarter than me. I watched every offensive snap from the past 5 games last week. You are clueless. Did you happen to see what the weather looked like in the Tulsa game? I was there. It was 32 degrees with freezing rain. The problem in that game offensively was a couple (2 or 3) breakdowns in pass protection and there were a couple of times that Will held on to the ball too long. There always also an offsides penalty that was not called where we snapped it quickly to catch the Ng that didn’t get called which cost us a drive. We slowed way down when we were up 9 in the 4th. In the Auburn game Tulu was overthrown by Will for a TD and Spivey dropped a wide open TD. We had some pass pro issues in that game specically by Cross and Jones at the tackle spots. Will also made a horrible throw to the sideline that got picked off. In the Egg Bowl we broke a record for passing yardage and only lost because of a fumble on the goal line. We moved the ball at Will. In the Missouri game we looked as good as we did all year long and moved the ball at Will. In the Georgia game we demolished the drop 8 and forced them to play man and when they did we hit them with big plays. Our Ol got beat in critical drives in the 4th quarter and we also had some penalties that stalled drives.

Our head coach won national coach of the year 3 years ago. Acting like you have 1 millionth of the football knowledge of him the way you do so matter of factly is embarrassing for you and you don’t even know it. Most of our issues are mental errors that will be corrected with time. Go look at the Washington State boards. They have been laughing at our fans for a year because of how we have people freaking out year one the same way some of their ignorant common fans like yourself have been doing.

HoopsDawg
08-08-2021, 11:33 AM
You are just sooooo much smarter than me. .

agree.

Jarius
08-08-2021, 11:43 AM
agree.

Thanks. At least we can find common ground there. If you will do my homework I’ll let you catch a pass.

TrapGame
08-08-2021, 11:51 AM
I've heard we've been running some read option in practice and experimenting w/ two back sets. And one of the announcers during the Mizzou game (that I just re-watched) said Leach was calling most of those run plays.

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2021, 12:07 PM
I've heard we've been running some read option in practice and experimenting w/ two back sets. And one of the announcers during the Mizzou game (that I just re-watched) said Leach was calling most of those run plays.
He wasnt. Never does

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2021, 12:08 PM
And we ran a ton of two back last year. Leach has always done that

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2021, 12:10 PM

Im with you in the fact that I wish we would do a little more but you cant argue with Leach and what he has done.

Also, Tulsa was a good team and very good and nasty on defense in the sleet. Horrible conditions for anyone but especially us. And we found a way to win. Leach will win here. If we play a regular schedule last year we go 7-5 and about 3 plays from 9-4.

TrapGame
08-08-2021, 12:27 PM
He wasnt. Never does

So, you were at practice?

CaptainObvious
08-08-2021, 12:27 PM
Good grief! There are going to be a lot of disappointed RTGDF fans on this board this year.

45 to 55 passes per game and about 15-20 called runs. Get ready for it. If you aren?t, turn the channel. You aren?t going to like State football this year.

HancockCountyDog
08-08-2021, 12:40 PM
I think with our athletes we will kick the shit out of the team we are supposed to this year. I can't imagine us having another Vandy game this year.

We just have to be more efficient on offense. These are problematic numbers - especially when you factor in the LSU and Mizzou games:

3rd down conversions - 13th (SEC Rankings)
Number of punts - 12th
Sacks against - 13th
Penalties - 14th
Red Zone offense - 12th
Pass Efficiency - 12th
Average yard per attempt - 13th
Total offense - 11th

We simply have to improve on these numbers this year. I think we will, because they can't get worse. The LSU, UGA, and Mizzou games do give me hope.

As a national champion type athletic program, I have decided thinks will work out for us.

HancockCountyDog
08-08-2021, 12:41 PM
Good grief! There are going to be a lot of disappointed RTGDF fans on this board this year.

45 to 55 passes per game and about 15-20 called runs. Get ready for it. If you aren?t, turn the channel. You aren?t going to like State football this year.

Yes - time to turn the page - if we had hired Paul Johnson - we would be running triple option. We hired Leach. He is going to run his system. He is not going to change.

He will either be really right, or really wrong.

TrapGame
08-08-2021, 12:43 PM

Jesus Christ.

The man will call five to ten more runs than he normally does. No big philosophical change whatsoever. Rogers might check down to a run play if the defense gives it to him. What we saw vs Mizzou and Tulsa will be the norm this season. Nobody actually thinks Leach is going run heavy. That's absurd. But, if you can't tell he's been putting wrinkles in his system already, you're blind.

confucius say
08-08-2021, 12:44 PM

It was 30 degrees with a 20 mph wind and raining over half the game. We also started at midfield mossy possessions, so less room for yards.

Our splits were already tighter towards the end of the year last year.

Cowbell
08-08-2021, 01:00 PM

It's easy to say that QB and scheme will be fine but this team will live and die on those two things. QB decision making in this offense will be the difference in 4 wins and 9 wins. Abd not that I'm disagreeing with you. It's just the fact that Will has a lot on his shoulders.

KOdawg1
08-08-2021, 02:43 PM
Some of y'all are entirely missing the point.

KOdawg1
08-08-2021, 02:45 PM
He is not going to change.

Based on what's coming out of practice, this is false.

Todd4State
08-08-2021, 02:49 PM

They aren't even in pads yet.

Todd4State
08-08-2021, 02:51 PM
I fully expect our defense to have to carry us the first half of the year while the offense looks about like it did the second half of last year. And then I think the offense will bump up the second half of the year and improve some more.

bulldawg28
08-08-2021, 03:24 PM
As a national champion type athletic program, I have decided thinks will work out for us.

I just wanted to highlight your comment! I couldn't rep it but it deserves recognition.

KOdawg1
08-08-2021, 03:41 PM
They aren't even in pads yet.

And? No shit. Doesn't mean they haven't started installing new stuff.

Bothrops
08-08-2021, 04:35 PM
It's all about timing and execution. This is the most talented team Leach has ever headcoached.

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2021, 06:35 PM
So, you were at practice?

No. I guess youll just have to take my word for it. Or not. They have ran speed option in practice and have always given the QB the ability to pull it on zone.

I was saying that Leach is not going to call a run play. He puts that on his QB to check to it. We are still going to be 75 percent pass but that is a lot better than 92 which we were a year ago

R2Dawg
08-08-2021, 06:36 PM
The air raid in it's original form will not work in today's SEC. It won't. We're going to have to get creative. Zone reads, sweeps, play action, etc. If we add some modern aspects to the air raid (like Kingsbury, Riley, and other Leach disciples have done) then it can and will work. There have been some rumblings that we've been adding some designed QB runs... if that's true, then look out.

If we would adapt, we could be something to deal with. I'm not sure Leach will ever do it. He will die in his ways.

R2Dawg
08-08-2021, 06:38 PM

So spill it; what is coming out of practice? I ain't heard nothing worth noting.

TrapGame
08-08-2021, 07:47 PM
No. I guess youll just have to take my word for it. Or not. They have ran speed option in practice and have always given the QB the ability to pull it on zone.

I was saying that Leach is not going to call a run play. He puts that on his QB to check to it. We are still going to be 75 percent pass but that is a lot better than 92 which we were a year ago

According to the announcers of the Mizzou game Leach was calling most of those run plays. Just sayin'. Could be BS from them but I thought that was interesting to bring that up as gospel during the waning minutes of the game. But, you are 100% right about QBs in Leach's offense. It's on them.

Plus, we have a guy like Marks which makes that 25% completely different than other teams Leach has coached.

BuckyIsAB****
08-08-2021, 09:06 PM
According to the announcers of the Mizzou game Leach was calling most of those run plays. Just sayin'. Could be BS from them but I thought that was interesting to bring that up as gospel during the waning minutes of the game. But, you are 100% right about QBs in Leach's offense. It's on them.

Plus, we have a guy like Marks which makes that 25% completely different than other teams Leach has coached.

I think Johnson is the better back but Marks is good too. Those announcers dont know half what they say they do. I want their job

Hot Rock
08-09-2021, 04:37 PM
So spill it; what is coming out of practice? I ain't heard nothing worth noting.

They were running some read option plays and QB draws during practice. This is a new wrinkle to the offense that would kill a back peddling defense in my opinion. The RB would be 3-6 yards down the field before they saw their first defender and then if they could make them miss it might be off to the races. Even if it's just a check down option used a few times a game I think it could be effective in limiting the drop 8 defense.

But that's not Leach's game some say. I say that Leach's best teams have always had a running element to them and he knows ultimately it helps to have it in your arsenal. Adding one more dimension to this offense even in a limited fashion should help.