PDA

View Full Version : New Question: With Tyler at QB, how do we move the ball against Bama

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2013, 11:00 AM
This morning's news shouldn't come as a huge surprise, but it does change what we will have do to move the ball tomorrow night.

1. I don't think we will be able to run the ball now.

2. I think the diamond formation is probably off the table now; right?

3. We will not be able to change launch points to throw the football. Extended plays are now off the table. (This is the worst thing we lose because it means Bama's defense will always be in position.)

Do we just bubble screen them to death and hope our "average" receivers break a tackle?

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:14 AM
We have good size, so I think we should run the damn ball downhill at them with Robinson, Griffin and Shumpert. Pass more on 1st down, maybe throw it long to Wilson a few times and then dump it off to Perkins in the intermediate areas.

They are too talented to beat with 'formations' and such. We're simply going to have to play a man's football game.

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
We have good size, so I think we should run the damn ball downhill at them with Robinson, Griffin and Shumpert. Pass more on 1st down, maybe throw it long to Wilson a few times and then dump it off to Perkins in the intermediate areas.

They are too talented to beat with 'formations' and such. We're simply going to have to play a man's football game.

With Tyler at QB, we couldn't run the ball against A&M. We have only shown the ability to run with Dak.

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM

With Tyler at QB, we couldn't run the ball against A&M. We have only shown the ability to run with Dak.

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:23 AM
If we trot out that Mullen offense without the ability to throw the ball like we did in 2010, they'll crush us just like they did then. We played Bama better in 2011 with Russell at QB.

Jack Lambert
11-15-2013, 11:25 AM
If we trot out that Mullen offense without the ability to throw the ball like we did in 2010, they'll crush us just like they did then. We played Bama better in 2011 with Russell at QB.

We really need our WR to step up this game to open up the run.

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2013, 11:26 AM

Good point, but Dak is far better than Relf. Not comparable talent levels IMO

But HEY, I'll be screaming tomorrow night in Davis Wade for Tyler to light them up. It's just an uphill battle and he will have to play the best game of his career. Better late than never I suppose.

He certainly has the chance to go down as a legend tomorrow night. If we win tomorrow night, no one will remember that Tyler Russell wasn't the number 1 QB his senior year. He will be forever immortalized as the QB that beat Bama.

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:27 AM
At this point I think they are similar. Relf really played well in 2010. I think Prescott obviously surpasses that over the next two years, but as of now, I don't see too much difference.

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:28 AM
We finally have a guy in Wilson who can go up and get balls and make plays. I'll bet if you ask him, he'd prefer Russell behind center for the rest of this year.

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2013, 11:29 AM
We really need our WR to step up this game to open up the run.

Bingo. IMO Bear will have to have a coming out party. He is our only mis-match at WR

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2013, 11:30 AM
At this point I think they are similar. Relf really played well in 2010. I think Prescott obviously surpasses that over the next two years, but as of now, I don't see too much difference.

Dak is faster, stronger, more agile, has a stronger arm, and more leadership ability. Other than that, they are similar though

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Disagree, RIGHT NOW. Relf's season in 2010 is one of the better ones in our history. Good Lord.

EngineerDawg
11-15-2013, 11:33 AM
I don't think we can beat them by being cute. I say we line up in big sets and try to establish some sort of play-action/run game (we have 4.5 capable backs [0.5 for Perk]). I think we can take the top off with Tyler more so than Dak, but if we try and spread them out Tyler is going to get walloped. That's my $0.02.

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:38 AM
You get it.

BulldogBear
11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
In the SEC, if you do not have a mobile quarterback and you are not Alabama, UGa, LSU or Florida (and even sometimes one of them will struggle)... then you do not have an offense. You might think you do, but you will shown the truth quiclkly. I hear what y'all are saying but I disagree. It's true they could shut Dak down too. But without a QB who is a threat to run, we have little chance against a great D. Sorry, it's just the truth.

EngineerDawg
You get it.

;)

HereComesTheSpiral
I know if we see Russell trying to run around the corners then it is going to be a long night.

JeanPeesSittingDown
11-15-2013, 11:42 AM
Can't beat BAMA at their own game. Trying to run up the middle on them will NOT win us the game.

Really it comes down to what does Mullen want to do? Go for the win or not get embarrassed?

If we don't want to get embarrassed Mullen will simply try and stick with the run. This will eat clock slow down the game and we will lose by 15-20.

If we want a chance to win (which I think Mullen will choose this one) we will HAVE to throw the ball vertically and take chances passing down field. This could come back to bite you in the ass. Really it just depends on if our WR can bring their A++++ game. Anything less and you risk getting blown out by giving Bama an extra possession or two that could open the game wide open for them.

Regardless, I don't think we can simply rely on our RBs for this game. We have to establish the passing game.

BulldogBear
11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
The worst thing that could happen now regarding the Egg Bowl is for us to have a decent game against Bama and still lose, then TR light up Arkansas and then Mullend and crew think he's gonna be the man for the Ole Miss game. I'm not saying I don't hope we play well. I always want us to do well no matter what the formula is. But, I am saying I could see that scenario playing out. TR start close loss to Bama + TR start good win over Arky = TR start lose Egg Bowl

CJDAWG85
11-15-2013, 11:43 AM
Dak is playing per a player on the team. This thread is pointless.

EngineerDawg
11-15-2013, 11:44 AM
In the SEC, if you do not have a mobile quarterback and you are not Alabama, UGa, LSU or Florida (and even sometimes one of them will struggle)... then you do not have an offense. You might think you do, but you will shown the truth quiclkly. I hear what y'all are saying but I disagree. It's true they could shut Dak down too. But without a QB who is a threat to run, we have little chance against a great D. Sorry, it's just the truth.

That is 100% true if we employ the spread. With TR under center and our size at TE, we should be able to run the ball. BUT, we don't have a true FB so....... we could stick Art aka "the fridge" back there?

EngineerDawg
11-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Can't beat BAMA at their own game. Trying to run up the middle on them will NOT win us the game.

Really it comes down to what does Mullen want to do? Go for the win or not get embarrassed?

If we don't want to get embarrassed Mullen will simply try and stick with the run. This will eat clock slow down the game and we will lose by 15-20.

If we want a chance to win (which I think Mullen will choose this one) we will HAVE to throw the ball vertically and take chances passing down field. This could come back to bite you in the ass. Really it just depends on if our WR can bring their A++++ game. Anything less and you risk getting blown out by giving Bama an extra possession or two that could open the game wide open for them.

Regardless, I don't think we can simply rely on our RBs for this game. We have to establish the passing game.

We can 3.5 yard them to death... I am not saying we will beat them but putting Tyler in the spread is an immediate death sentence.

War Machine Dawg
11-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Easiest answer of the day: We don't. Without TR as a run threat, our ground game is going to struggle mightily. Combine that with about 20 carries for Perk who Bama absolutely shut down last season, and I'll be surprised if we sniff 50 rush yards on the night. And if we can't run the ball, we have no chance to beat Bama. Once it becomes clear we can't run, we'll start slinging it. TR will hit a few big passes, but he'll probably throw at least 2 INTs. Bama will also sack him 5 or more times. Frankly, we're screwed with TR.

Honestly, I'd just as soon start Williams. He'll give us some mobility at QB, which you need when you play Bama. I'd just pray the lumps he would take in the process wouldn't totally destroy his confidence.

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:57 AM
Honestly, I'd just as soon start Williams. He'll give us some mobility at QB

In the nicest way possible, this line of thinking is one of the DUMBEST I've seen among our fanbase, and that says a lot. You start the best player you have. Not the player that best suits the scheme. Play Williams and we won't get past the 50 yard line.

justwin
11-15-2013, 12:13 PM
This morning's news shouldn't come as a huge surprise, but it does change what we will have do to move the ball tomorrow night.

1. I don't think we will be able to run the ball now.

2. I think the diamond formation is probably off the table now; right?

3. We will not be able to change launch points to throw the football. Extended plays are now off the table. (This is the worst thing we lose because it means Bama's defense will always be in position.)

Do we just bubble screen them to death and hope our "average" receivers break a tackle?

1. We will be able to run the ball between the tackles with anyone other than Perk. See Vick his two years on limited carries and Griffin last year. We could always mimic what NFL teams do by having their QBs let the RBs do all of the rushing.....just a thought.
2. Of course not. The diamond would be best in this situation....meaning you put your best playmakers, RBs, all on the field at the same time coupled with the best downfield MSU passer ever. Bama will have problems accounting for the combo Shump, JRob, Griff on the same play especially if you have Wilson, Lewis, and F. Brown on the outside who can catch a ball in traffic. I hope I wasn't the only one that noticed how many more yards after contact that Shump and JRob have been getting the last few games. However, if you put Perk in as part of the triumvirate, then you send him out for a pass like the ATM td.
3. The bigger RBs will force Bama's hand in having to blitz more and leave their secondary vulnerable. A guy like Griff can pick up a blitzing SEC LB to give TR time to move around and deliver a pass....advantage Tyler as Bama's DBs aren't what they were in years past.

Absolutely, screens are a must.

PLAY THE BIG F&^KING RBS MULLEN!

smootness
11-15-2013, 12:14 PM
If Russell is the QB, we need to let him sit back in the shotgun, in one-back sets, and throw quick passes...NOT bubble screens, since we have no idea how to run those effectively, but slants and quick comeback routes. If Russell is the QB, our run/pass ratio should be something like 35/65.

Irondawg
11-15-2013, 01:08 PM
Put Tubby in with the diamond on early downs

EngineerDawg
11-15-2013, 01:57 PM
Chris Jones in the wildcat anyone? :p

stxdawg
11-15-2013, 02:06 PM
We have to run the ball and chew the clock or it is going to get out of hand. My biggest concern is not letting our defense get enough rest. I'd like to see a scenario where each team is averaging about 2 possessions a quarter. Chew the clock.

Sacrifice
11-15-2013, 02:21 PM
If JRob is our primary rb Saturday I believe we can move the ball on the ground but I have NO faith of that happening. I can't understand for the life of me why he doesn't get 15-20 carries a game. This kid is a superstar in waiting..

Vancleave
11-15-2013, 02:31 PM
Dak plays with Russell rotation in = We have a spirited effort and potentially scare the hell out of Bama
Russell plays with Dak out = We get curbed stomped.

Barking 13
11-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Here's a novel idea, line up TR and Dak in the shotgun....****

CadaverDawg
11-15-2013, 03:22 PM

Hahahah

You mean the same shit we've been screaming for for 2 years now? What in the world makes you think Mullen will run something different than the Dak offense? We will run Perkins left, Perkins right, Tyler around the edge, etc.

I'm telling you, we'd be better off starting Damien Williams, because Dan has ZERO ability to gameplan around Tyler Russell. It's not Russell's fault, but I would prefer not see him get paralyzed Saturday night because ole Danno decides to QB draw and QB sweep all night.

The fact that we are STILL having the "how do we gameplan with Tyler this week" conversation, says everything that needs to be said about our current coaching situation. This shit is pathetic

EngineerDawg
11-15-2013, 03:50 PM
The fact that we are STILL having the "how do we gameplan with Tyler this week" conversation, says everything that needs to be said about our current coaching situation. This shit is pathetic

The message I have been trying to spread. It's to the point now that I wonder if CDM wants TR to fail. No sense can be made of how TR is used in the CDM system. Remember also, urban meyer failed with Brantley at UF. Like father like son?

CadaverDawg
11-15-2013, 04:11 PM
The message I have been trying to spread. It's to the point now that I wonder if CDM wants TR to fail. No sense can be made of how TR is used in the CDM system. Remember also, urban meyer failed with Brantley at UF. Like father like son?

His in game coaching makes me wants to jab nails into my eye sockets. It is painful and repetitive. But then he will turn around and call a play that makes you think he has some sense. So at the end of the day, you're left scratching your head...but the bottom line is that his coaching week in and week out is keeping us from being the team we can be. He has built up some talent, but his own blunders are keeping that talent from achieving what they should be able to achieve.

I really like Dan, I just wish he would quit getting in the team's way, and forcing them to overcome his mistakes eve week in order for us to win.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-15-2013, 07:06 PM
You guys do realize that we will need 14 points simply because Bama will score a TD with less than a minute to go in each half. Whether they need 1 yard or 99 yards it doesn't seem to matter, it's a given they will score. So our offense will have 58 minutes to score 2 TDs plus the other 42 points we will need to win this one. Yea, I can see TR running & throwing for 6 TDs against BAMA. Gotta go, my water pipe needs a refill.

bully99
11-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Didn't hear it, but somebody said Wyatt spent all afternoon on the radio saying Dak was NOT going to play.

Dawg61
11-15-2013, 07:55 PM
Put Bear and Lewis next to each other and run every route possible. 1 of them will be open every play. Then stick Holloway in between them a few times and have him run a straight streak and this time he needs to catch the ball. We can get a couple free scores tomorrow if Dan will commit to throwing the ball deep throughout the entire game. Throw it deep A LOT. It will free up space for the backs. Tyler CAN NOT take sacks though.

2nd idea: put Jameon Lewis at QB some and run the wildcat and diamond formations. Let him throw a couple times too.

CadaverDawg
11-15-2013, 08:33 PM
How do we use Russell? My guess is Dan will use him something like is....

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/3135809/russell.gif

Dawg61
11-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Wow I still don't see how he hits his head hard enough to cause a concussion. It looks like very little contact occurred and yet you can tell Tyler is knocked out before he even hits the ground.

slickdawg
11-15-2013, 09:06 PM
Wow I still don't see how he hits his head hard enough to cause a concussion. It looks like very little contact occurred and yet you can tell Tyler is knocked out before he even hits the ground.

I was thinking the same thing. When I went back and watched the game a couple of weeks ago, after that lick, Tyler has some solid black streaks on his helmet, from an OSU helmet. He got hit hard, it just doesn't look like it.

RougeDawg
11-15-2013, 09:39 PM
If JRob is our primary rb Saturday I believe we can move the ball on the ground but I have NO faith of that happening. I can't understand for the life of me why he doesn't get 15-20 carries a game. This kid is a superstar in waiting..

Come on. You know why our freshman don't get the reps they should. We have upper classmen at the same position. Dan believes that upper classmen should play over more talented under classmen.