PDA

View Full Version : MSU and the plantation

starkvegasdawg
08-05-2021, 03:40 PM
Plus other colleges in MS now with indoor mask mandate regardless of vax status. How long before football attendance is cut?

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-05-2021, 03:47 PM
I don?t think the colleges will want to take the hit again this year. Now?.masks may be mandated.

StarkVegasSteve
08-05-2021, 04:03 PM
Attendance won't be cut. As stated above, universities lost too much money last year. Masks might be required, but they're not going to limit attendance unless vaccines run short.

Dolphus Raymond
08-05-2021, 04:24 PM
We had roughly 3,100 new COVID cases in Mississippi today. Anyone not vaccinated who chooses to attend an event with 50-60 k other people is flirting with disaster. Get vaccinated or please stay home.

confucius say
08-05-2021, 04:59 PM
And wear a N95 mask if you are going to wear a mask. They are actually easy to order and get right now. Not the stupid cloth things.

starkvegasdawg
08-05-2021, 05:02 PM
And wear a N95 mask if you are going to wear a mask. They are actually easy to order and get right now. Not the stupid cloth things.

Our workplace has banned n95 masks. We have to wear the useless cloth or surgical masks.

confucius say
08-05-2021, 05:28 PM
Our workplace has banned n95 masks. We have to wear the useless cloth or surgical masks.

Oh. Sorry. Why they do that?

Leeshouldveflanked
08-05-2021, 05:29 PM
If the mask is not a N95, the effectiveness between wearing a mask and not wearing one is within the margin of error. yes you will stop droplets, but the Covid is airborne and measures approximately .3 of a micron. The company I work for manufactures filters and mask.

starkvegasdawg
08-05-2021, 05:36 PM
Oh. Sorry. Why they do that?

They said since they have an exhale valve we're not protecting other people. My thoughts if we all have a mask then what the 17 does it matter.

confucius say
08-05-2021, 05:37 PM
If the mask is not a N95, the effectiveness between wearing a mask and not wearing one is within the margin of error. yes you will stop droplets, but the Covid is airborne and measures approximately .3 of a micron. The company I work for manufactures filters and mask.

What about a KN95? That's what I started wearing

ScoobaDawg
08-05-2021, 05:42 PM

Mississippi gonna Mississippi...

SheltonChoked
08-05-2021, 05:53 PM
If it has an exhale valve, it's not the right kind of N95 and it's completely useless.

Y'all were being idiots. That's why they "banned N95 masks".

You'd think after 18 months, people would learn what masks to use....

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2021, 06:00 PM
They said since they have an exhale valve we're not protecting other people. My thoughts if we all have a mask then what the 17 does it matter.

N95s , REAL medical grade ones, do NOT have an exhale valve. I know, I wear the things every single work day.

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2021, 06:02 PM

One more time, viruses do not float around on their own that much. That does NOT mean they don't float around. Droplets come in many sizes.

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2021, 06:06 PM
As for the original topic....we will see. I honestly don't know. The trajectory this time is really scary. The medical people are scared like they haven't been before right now. Now if we could get 90% of the eligible people vaccinated then it's a moot point.

Jarius
08-05-2021, 06:22 PM
Very small chance football attendance will be cut. Cohen was just on the radio and said that the only chance that happens is if the State mandates it and that’s extremely unlikely.

confucius say
08-05-2021, 06:22 PM
As for the original topic....we will see. I honestly don't know. The trajectory this time is really scary. The medical people are scared like they haven't been before right now. Now if we could get 90% of the eligible people vaccinated then it's a moot point.

Vaccination rates are climbing pretty good unh? That is hopeful at least

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2021, 06:51 PM
Vaccination rates are climbing pretty good unh? That is hopeful at least

Not really. Better than before though.

confucius say
08-05-2021, 07:01 PM
Not really. Better than before though.

Progress at least. Hopefully it's going to be ok. Love all you guys. Stay safe.

DownwardDawg
08-05-2021, 07:46 PM
Mississippi gonna Mississippi...

Of course, because we're soooo much smarter than everyone else!!!!

Leeshouldveflanked
08-05-2021, 08:04 PM
What about a KN95? That's what I started wearing
N95 is US Standard.. KN95 is China Standard

R2Dawg
08-05-2021, 09:11 PM
We had roughly 3,100 new COVID cases in Mississippi today. Anyone not vaccinated who chooses to attend an event with 50-60 k other people is flirting with disaster. Get vaccinated or please stay home.

If you are vaccinated why does it matter to you what anyone else does? You are protected are you not? Don't say you care about others because you don't if you know people that are at risk in taking a shot. I know many not only got sick, hospitalized but died. What I hear is when people say that is I only care about my life, not yours.

If you have immunity, you are more protected than vax.

Studies have shown outdoor activities spread is almost non existent.

R2Dawg
08-05-2021, 09:21 PM
If it has an exhale valve, it's not the right kind of N95 and it's completely useless.

Y'all were being idiots. That's why they "banned N95 masks".

You'd think after 18 months, people would learn what masks to use....

People make up their own science these days. N95 with valve still protect the wearer but not anyone else when they exhale.

Medical masks help in water droplets in close contact but that is it. Anything else, they are useless as has been said. I've posted this test before, get in a room and have someone exhale cigarette smoke thru whatever mask you believe in. See if you smell the smoke. If you do (and you will) you just inhaled virus particles. Smoke particles are about the same size. So breathing in a room with any other mask does nothing for a period of time.

Masks only help in close contact for a sneeze, speaking vapors, or coughing, that is it.

Social distancing is the only think that really works but that is not feasible for anyone over a long period of time. We all got to live, well some would have us not live but exist scared all the time and controlled.

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2021, 10:04 PM
If you are vaccinated why does it matter to you what anyone else does? You are protected are you not? Don't say you care about others because you don't if you know people that are at risk in taking a shot. I know many not only got sick, hospitalized but died. What I hear is when people say that is I only care about my life, not yours.

If you have immunity, you are more protected than vax.

Studies have shown outdoor activities spread is almost non existent.

The ignorance here is STUNNING. With infectious diseases what I do affects you, and what you do affects me. That INCLUDES vaccines. NONE of them are 100% effective. Vaccines are a MASS health thing, not an individual one. I'm getting REAL tired of seeing this "You take care of you and I'll take care of me" crap. It DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT AND NEVER WILL. It has NEVER worked that way for any highly infectious disease, including polio and smallpox. We would be done with this BS if everybody had just done what needed to be done. Masks and vaccines are NOT Nazi machine guns on top of the bluff at Omaha. We DRAFTED people and FORCED them to charge into those. Just do it so we can get this crap behind us. We will never get rid of it but we CAN get it to where its no worse than the seasonal flu, but it's going to take nearly everyone doing their part. People want to get back to normal, but many want normal to come to them. They won't do a damn thing to help us get there.

Also, previous immunity from earlier versions is NOT as effective as the vaccines with Delta. BOTH is better than either though.

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2021, 10:10 PM
People make up their own science these days. N95 with valve still protect the wearer but not anyone else when they exhale.

Medical masks help in water droplets in close contact but that is it. Anything else, they are useless as has been said. I've posted this test before, get in a room and have someone exhale cigarette smoke thru whatever mask you believe in. See if you smell the smoke. If you do (and you will) you just inhaled virus particles. Smoke particles are about the same size. So breathing in a room with any other mask does nothing for a period of time.

Masks only help in close contact for a sneeze, speaking vapors, or coughing, that is it.

Social distancing is the only think that really works but that is not feasible for anyone over a long period of time. We all got to live, well some would have us not live but exist scared all the time and controlled.

Your smoke analogy is total garbage. TOTAL. I worked on a patient VERY early on in this, ALL up in his face for 20-30 minutes, when he was absolutely contagious. They symptoms he was showing at the time were not considered to be COVID symptoms at the time. They are now. I was wearing the then standard level one medical mask. I didn't get it. Neither did the other person there. Masks WORK. They aren't 100%, but what is.

viverlibre
08-05-2021, 10:26 PM
Your smoke analogy is total garbage. TOTAL. I worked on a patient VERY early on in this, ALL up in his face for 20-30 minutes, when he was absolutely contagious. They symptoms he was showing at the time were not considered to be COVID symptoms at the time. They are now. I was wearing the then standard level one medical mask. I didn't get it. Neither did the other person there. Masks WORK. They aren't 100%, but what is.

Hold on big hoss. My wife had symptoms and tested positive last October. I tried errything possible to catch it from her, ate after her, drank after her, slept in same bed, kissed etc., I tested negative. I didn't wear a mask and still didn't get COVID. I'm much more manly than most, so that may have something to do with it?

Liverpooldawg
08-05-2021, 10:34 PM
Hold on big hoss. My wife had symptoms and tested positive last October. I tried errything possible to catch it from her, ate after her, drank after her, slept in same bed, kissed etc., I tested negative. I didn't wear a mask and still didn't get COVID. I'm much more manly than most, so that may have something to do with it?

Ok, congrats.

Cowbell
08-05-2021, 11:03 PM
The ignorance here is STUNNING. With infectious diseases what I do affects you, and what you do affects me. That INCLUDES vaccines. NONE of them are 100% effective. Vaccines are a MASS health thing, not an individual one. I'm getting REAL tired of seeing this "You take care of you and I'll take care of me" crap. It DOES NOT WORK LIKE THAT AND NEVER WILL. It has NEVER worked that way for any highly infectious disease, including polio and smallpox. We would be done with this BS if everybody had just done what needed to be done. Masks and vaccines are NOT Nazi machine guns on top of the bluff at Omaha. We DRAFTED people and FORCED them to charge into those. Just do it so we can get this crap behind us. We will never get rid of it but we CAN get it to where its no worse than the seasonal flu, but it's going to take nearly everyone doing their part. People want to get back to normal, but many want normal to come to them. They won't do a damn thing to help us get there.

Also, previous immunity from earlier versions is NOT as effective as the vaccines with Delta. BOTH is better than either though.

To say that we would be done with this if everyone had vaxed and wore masks takes away all credibility you have. Of the people I know currently having issues with covid, most have had the vaccine.

BeardoMSU
08-05-2021, 11:49 PM
To say that we would be done with this if everyone had vaxed and wore masks takes away all credibility you have. Of the people I know currently having issues with covid, most have had the vaccine.

Bullshit.

Todd4State
08-06-2021, 02:11 AM

The truth is no one really knows as far as it going away completely. Take the flu for example- while not as severe as COVID it's not ever really completely gone or to the point where people don't get it and go to the hospital.

My honest opinion is that it will be like the flu in that it will never really truly go away and that people are going to have to get booster shots every year like we do the flu.

As always and like I tell my patients or people that ask me- do your own research and make sure it's not political or from Joe on Facebook. Make an informed decision and if you ask my personal opinion I would recommend getting the vaccine. Simply because if you do get it based on what I've seen the symptoms are typically less severe.

My approach is how this should have been approached all along. But no- we had to get politics involved, listen to the media and have people attack each other because of their opinion. THAT is the root of the real problem. The fact of the matter is what we are seeing here is basically going on worldwide in various stages.

Schultzy
08-06-2021, 07:35 AM
When the Covid lands on your mask how long does it remain potent?

FISHDAWG
08-06-2021, 07:52 AM

same exact story here ... but that was then and this is now. I now wished I had gotten the Vaccination back then and would have if I had known what was ahead of me ... now it's too late for me to get it. Oh well hindsight is 20/20 and I will never blame anyone else for not getting it but I feel like it wasn't a good decision on my part at the time

Maverick91
08-06-2021, 08:02 AM

What is interesting about the whole "heard immunity" thing, is if you look at Israel they are at like 90%+ vaccinated and they have a massive outbreak of the Vid.

Maverick91
08-06-2021, 08:05 AM

Claps!

Maverick91
08-06-2021, 08:11 AM

I am grateful you didn't catch it. I assume you are in the medical profession by this post, so thank you very much for your service!

My thoughts on this are, the smoke test is still a true test, the mask isn't going to catch every Vid particle its going to seep out the sides of the mask or any other hole that the mask provides. I would also, think that you had the antibodies, or your immune system is extremely high.

Maverick91
08-06-2021, 08:12 AM
Bullshit.

No, I mean same here. It is probably closer to 50/50 on my end.

Commercecomet24
08-06-2021, 08:42 AM
The truth is no one really knows as far as it going away completely. Take the flu for example- while not as severe as COVID it's not ever really completely gone or to the point where people don't get it and go to the hospital.

My honest opinion is that it will be like the flu in that it will never really truly go away and that people are going to have to get booster shots every year like we do the flu.

As always and like I tell my patients or people that ask me- do your own research and make sure it's not political or from Joe on Facebook. Make an informed decision and if you ask my personal opinion I would recommend getting the vaccine. Simply because if you do get it based on what I've seen the symptoms are typically less severe.

My approach is how this should have been approached all along. But no- we had to get politics involved, listen to the media and have people attack each other because of their opinion. THAT is the root of the real problem. The fact of the matter is what we are seeing here is basically going on worldwide in various stages.

Bravo, well said.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-06-2021, 08:43 AM
Which vaccine was given out in Israel?

Captain Falcon
08-06-2021, 09:08 AM
Outdoor vs. indoor are two entirely different conversations. I don't know that you can take anything away from masks being required for indoor classroom settings and apply it to what may happen for an outdoor football game.

MLB has continued to operate with no capacity restrictions, and the NFL is about to get going with similar guidelines in preseason games and the expectation is that will continue in the regular season. Obviously things can change rather quickly, but I don't see think you're going to see these sports leagues/college conferences be in any hurry to turn people away right now. They may require masks at some point but I am fully expecting anyone who wants to be at Davis Wade on September 4th to be able to go.

Liverpooldawg
08-06-2021, 10:18 AM

Read it again. Done with it means getting it to the level of the seasonal flu. It's never going away, just like the flu. If everyone was vaxed that is about what it would be. We can live with that without any real disruption. Look at the numbers. What's going on right now didn't have to happen.

Liverpooldawg
08-06-2021, 10:26 AM
I am grateful you didn't catch it. I assume you are in the medical profession by this post, so thank you very much for your service!

My thoughts on this are, the smoke test is still a true test, the mask isn't going to catch every Vid particle its going to seep out the sides of the mask or any other hole that the mask provides. I would also, think that you had the antibodies, or your immune system is extremely high.
I certainly didn't have antibodies to it. This guy was literally one of the 1st 3-4 cases in the county, one of the first 200 or so in the state. This was early MARCH 2020, just before the shutdowns. Smoke test IS valid. That's why people wear masks when its smoky. It won't catch it all, but it catches some, and that MATTERS. 100 virus particles probably wont infect you, 10,000 might.

Liverpooldawg
08-06-2021, 10:41 AM
What is interesting about the whole "heard immunity" thing, is if you look at Israel they are at like 90%+ vaccinated and they have a massive outbreak of the Vid.

Israel is recording about the same amount of cases we are in Mississippi, and they have nearly 3 times our population. They aren't 90% vaccinated. They are 90% vaccinated of those eligible. Nobody is vaxxing kids under 12 yet. That leaves a big pool of the unvaccinated to spread it. There are always going to be breakthrough infections. When they nearly ALL have to be breakthrough infections then we will finally have it under control.

Maverick91
08-06-2021, 10:51 AM
Which vaccine was given out in Israel?

That I don't know, I was a good millennial and only read the headline of that report, but, I think I have heard its the Phizer one. Don't quote me on that though.

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-06-2021, 10:55 AM
Moderna claims it has 94% resistance to this delta strand. That?s what I had so I hope that?s true.

Maverick91
08-06-2021, 10:56 AM
I certainly didn't have antibodies to it. This guy was literally one of the 1st 3-4 cases in the county, one of the first 200 or so in the state. This was early MARCH 2020, just before the shutdowns. Smoke test IS valid. That's why people wear masks when its smoky. It won't catch it all, but it catches some, and that MATTERS. 100 virus particles probably wont infect you, 10,000 might.

Times like this I wish I was a virologist. lol

When it comes to the infection rate of the Vid I mean really do we know how many particles it takes to catch it? say compared to the seasonal cold or even flu?

Liverpooldawg
08-06-2021, 10:58 AM
That I don't know, I was a good millennial and only read the headline of that report, but, I think I have heard its the Phizer one. Don't quote me on that though.

Pfizer almost exclusivly.

Liverpooldawg
08-06-2021, 11:02 AM
Times like this I wish I was a virologist. lol

When it comes to the infection rate of the Vid I mean really do we know how many particles it takes to catch it? say compared to the seasonal cold or even flu?

I'm not sure but when we do there won't be a set number but a range, it varies from person to person. . But initial viral load is always critical, both to actual infection and the severity of the infection if it does take. I'm not a virologist either but I have had some reasonably advanced relevant education.

confucius say
08-06-2021, 11:58 AM

So if I had one vaccine shot and then also tested positive for delta you think I'm good?

confucius say
08-06-2021, 12:00 PM
same exact story here ... but that was then and this is now. I now wished I had gotten the Vaccination back then and would have if I had known what was ahead of me ... now it's too late for me to get it. Oh well hindsight is 20/20 and I will never blame anyone else for not getting it but I feel like it wasn't a good decision on my part at the time

Why is it too late?

FISHDAWG
08-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Why is it too late?

I've just finished 6 weeks of radiation and chemo ... preparing for surgery in 5 weeks. Once blood counts are back to normal after that then I will get the VAC if doctor says I can

confucius say
08-06-2021, 12:49 PM
I've just finished 6 weeks of radiation and chemo ... preparing for surgery in 5 weeks. Once blood counts are back to normal after that then I will get the VAC if doctor says I can

Got ya. Just sent a prayer your way brother.

thf24
08-06-2021, 01:06 PM
Moderna claims it has 94% resistance to this delta strand. That?s what I had so I hope that?s true.

I may be wrong but I believe that's for a potential third booster. The current two dose of both it and Pfizer still have extremely high rates of prevention of serious illness, hospitalization, and death against Delta, though. Get vaccinated people.

Liverpooldawg
08-06-2021, 01:18 PM
So if I had one vaccine shot and then also tested positive for delta you think I'm good?

Better ask your Doc.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-06-2021, 01:49 PM
When the flu vaccine came out, was it like this where the vaccinated speak in absolutes and the unvaccinated are treated as lepers?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-06-2021, 01:50 PM

If you can smell a fart through a mask, are you still protected?

Memphisbulldog
08-06-2021, 02:22 PM
KN95 are made in China. Different standard than USA N95. I've used both. The N95 are much better fit to avoid air getting out.

confucius say
08-06-2021, 03:19 PM
KN95 are made in China. Different standard than USA N95. I've used both. The N95 are much better fit to avoid air getting out.

Are the kn95 still better than the blue masks and the cloth masks that everybody wears?

Joebob
08-06-2021, 05:41 PM
People need to remember that the advantage of being vaccinated is that if you do get infected, you are very unlikely to end up in the hospital. Vaccinated people do get infected, but I read just this morning that the breakthrough infections are only about 1%. That might increase as more data comes in, but you're still very unlikely to get seriously sick.

One thing I should also point out is that being in the hospital with Covid isn't like being in the hospital with many other illnesses. I have a friend that is currently on his 16th day in the ICU, and for the last five days he's had to lay face down on his stomach, with an oxygen mask on. We think he's going to make it because he's finally showing small improvements, but right now it's like he's being tortured.

Please get vaccinated.

confucius say
08-06-2021, 05:47 PM
And I'll add, if any of you are thinking about getting the vaccine but are hesitant, feel free to PM me. I was hesitant, both bc of fear of a reaction and not knowing long term effects. Didn't get it until July. Tested positive this week.

If you are thinking you may want to get it and want to talk, feel free to reach out.

Jack Lambert
08-06-2021, 06:54 PM
If someone wants to vaccinated great I did. If someone don't great, I don't care because I did. Do what you want to do. If you don't and die that's on you not me even if I don't wear a mask. Grown adults should be able to chose for themselves and parents should be able to chose for their children. After all Row vs Wade says the goverment cannot tell me what I can do with my body.