PDA

View Full Version : OT RB Rotation As I wait to chime in on a "Mississippi goin Mississippi" moment today

Lord McBuckethead
08-03-2021, 10:18 AM
I was wondering, do we have any incoming freshmen that we are looking to have an immediate impact on our team this year. I took basically two years off of following recruiting and have no idea who is coming in and how they will take us to the next step.

So lets start with RBs. Do we have a guy that can do something last years RBs couldn't do to help us win?

RiverCityDawg
08-03-2021, 10:28 AM
I was wondering, do we have any incoming freshmen that we are looking to have an immediate impact on our team this year. I took basically two years off of following recruiting and have no idea who is coming in and how they will take us to the next step.

So lets start with RBs. Do we have a guy that can do something last years RBs couldn't do to help us win?

I like both Price and Hargrove A LOT, but I'm not sure either passes either Woody or DJ this year.

Price probably has the better chance at contributing early already being 6-0 210, having played a lot of receiver in HS, and being the son of a former NFL guy. But I think it would take and injury for him to move into the top 2 required to get major reps.

Hargrove is one of the fastest guys on the team and is supposedly fully recovered from an injury he had last year, but he is a thinner track guy and might have to put some muscle on before it's his time. Bright future though, I think.

Maverick91
08-03-2021, 11:17 AM
I like both Price and Hargrove A LOT, but I'm not sure either passes either Woody or DJ this year.

Price probably has the better chance at contributing early already being 6-0 210, having played a lot of receiver in HS, and being the son of a former NFL guy. But I think it would take and injury for him to move into the top 2 required to get major reps.

Hargrove is one of the fastest guys on the team and is supposedly fully recovered from an injury he had last year, but he is a thinner track guy and might have to put some muscle on before it's his time. Bright future though, I think.

So you think Hargrove is more like Marks last year? couldn't really break a tackle to save his life, but, if he found open field could make something happen.

RiverCityDawg
08-03-2021, 11:24 AM
So you think Hargrove is more like Marks last year? couldn't really break a tackle to save his life, but, if he found open field could make something happen.

I could see that.

On Marks, supposedly he's put on 15+ pounds so hopefully he can break a few more tackles. He got clobbered as soon as he caught it a bunch without much of a chance, but he also let the first guy get him even when he did have some room to make a play. In this scheme the RB has got to be able to make the first guy miss in the open field.

Maverick91
08-03-2021, 11:27 AM
I could see that.

On Marks, supposedly he's put on 15+ pounds so hopefully he can break a few more tackles. He got clobbered as soon as he caught it a bunch without much of a chance, but he also let the first guy get him even when he did have some room to make a play. In this scheme the RB has got to be able to make the first guy miss in the open field.

100% agree. If he did put that weight on, hopefully he will be a better Perkins when Perkins stepped into the starting role.

BrunswickDawg
08-03-2021, 11:36 AM

You picked a position where 1A and 1B on our depth chart are on the Doak Walker Award watch list. You might want to start somewhere else.

Lord McBuckethead
08-03-2021, 12:53 PM
You picked a position where 1A and 1B on our depth chart are on the Doak Walker Award watch list. You might want to start somewhere else.

Look, if 1a and 1b don't give us more of an opportunity to make big plays, we have to look at someone else unless we want to finish the same way we did last year.
The equation to football is simple. If 1a is only capable of XYZ, by bringing in someone else they may be XYZ+1, which we have to have to make a difference.

I would imagine that both guys 1a and 1B on our team are going to be better, and they better be since they are now 1 year older and 1 year more in the system.

The point of discussing it is that 1A and 1B didn't get it done last year. If we have someone better, then they should be 2a and 2b. Simple as that. Every position on the field other than Brule.

Lord McBuckethead
08-03-2021, 12:57 PM
Also, I would add, every single position needs to be upgraded either through experience which I am sure we will have, or by new personnel.
I know nothing about the incoming sophemores and freshmen that didn't play for us last year. That is along with transfers and what not as well.

If the status quo is maintained, then the end result will be the same. We either grow from experience (which we will at some positions) or we have to replace for better overall production.

RBs look to be in pretty good shape, yet I always want the incoming talent to be better and threaten to take the spot.

StateDawg44
08-03-2021, 12:58 PM
It doesn't require much discussion. The answer to your initial question of do we have anyone coming in at that position who will make an immediate impact is no.

Not obviously at least.

Maverick91
08-03-2021, 01:55 PM
I like the question, you never not run a third running back throughout the year. Who out of what we brought in gives us a better bet when we put them on the field?

Jarius
08-03-2021, 02:34 PM
Scott Lashley is not a freshman but will be a newcomer that I expect to beat out Kam Jones for the right tackle spot. I think John Lewis will end up getting reps at linebacker (4 star true freshman). Teddy Knox was our big time wide receiver signee out of texas that will have a chance to get in the rotation early. We also have a slew of portal guys coming in that will play immediately. Makai Polk is a tall lean receiver that was a freshman all pac 12 receiver. He has reportedly looked very good. Jamire Calvin was a 2 year starter for Mike Leach at Washington State and has transferred in and will certainly get reps. He?s a bit of a smaller target. Randy charlton transferred here from UCF and will step in and start at defensive end. He is on basically everyone?s draft board at defensive end. Jalen Green is a former 5 star recruit that transferred in from Texas and will start at free safety. He is going to be the biggest transfer upgrade that you will see a tangible difference from last year IMO. He had a great spring. Our secondary is going to be much improved with his addition and Fred Peters coming back from injuries.