PDA

View Full Version : Football recruiting

TheLostDawg
08-02-2021, 09:03 PM
https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/2022-linebacker-Javae-Gilmore-Mississippi-State-recruiting-168617329/

Says in there our staff called the guy every day. I know we don't have the best facilities and what not but the one thing I can't stand is lack of effort. Mullen did great things but he got complacent and lazy with recruiting and his staff. If Leach can do 3/4 what Mullen did and keep the tenacity with recruiting he will capitalize on the good years and be able to take that next step.

Not sure what that step is now with the NIL deal and how it's going to effect us but if we do well on the field and continue to put maximum effort in recruiting we at least shouldn't take a step back.

Jack Lambert
08-02-2021, 11:23 PM
Mullen and the entire staff got the most out of everyone. If Mullen didn't keep pressure on Preston Smith he would not have made it to the NFL. He was a disappointment until his final year.

TheLostDawg
08-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Mullen and the entire staff got the most out of everyone. If Mullen didn't keep pressure on Preston Smith he would not have made it to the NFL. He was a disappointment until his final year.

I'm not talking about on field production. I'm talking about recruiting. I was saying it's nice now having a staff putting in more effort than the other schools.

Tbonewannabe
08-03-2021, 08:16 AM

Mullen was the best in the country at developing players. If his recruiting was at the same level then we might have won a National Title in 2014. He went to UF to basically get better recruits without having to increase his recruiting intensity. Mullen would be a good fit in the NFL where you don't have to actually recruit players.

I am actually impressed with our recruiting with Leach here. He seems to be as good or better than Moorhead and we know he is a better coach than SloMo.

Hot Rock
08-03-2021, 08:27 AM
Mullen and his staff would laugh at you if you tried to go after anyone of high profile out of state. The only recruits he would go after out of state were the guys that other SEC schools were not recruiting heavily. His thing was finding the unknown player that has extreme upside and then train them up. He was good at it. You can do that in MS very well because of the amount of talent within 200 miles of Starkville. If Leach can add to the mix a few high profile guys from out of state that come here for Leach's offense and you can see how State could take the next step.

In his first year here, Leach has gotten the highest rated HS QB ever to come here in his first year and he is from Texas. I don't think this new staff has the woe is me complex that Mullen's group did when he was here. I do believe that Leach will get some high profile players out of state, especially on offense and it will be more in the future if they can show this offense will work in the SEC.

The other thing that seems to be happening is the new staff is taking advantage of the transfer portal to fill holes very well. I look at the transfer portal in a similar way as I do JC. If you have too many of these guys it could blow up in your face but you can also get them ready to play at least serviceable when it's apparent you have hole in a position group.

BrunswickDawg
08-03-2021, 09:07 AM
Mullen and his staff would laugh at you if you tried to go after anyone of high profile out of state. The only recruits he would go after out of state were the guys that other SEC schools were not recruiting heavily. His thing was finding the unknown player that has extreme upside and then train them up. He was good at it. You can do that in MS very well because of the amount of talent within 200 miles of Starkville. If Leach can add to the mix a few high profile guys from out of state that come here for Leach's offense and you can see how State could take the next step.

In his first year here, Leach has gotten the highest rated HS QB ever to come here in his first year and he is from Texas. I don't think this new staff has the woe is me complex that Mullen's group did when he was here. I do believe that Leach will get some high profile players out of state, especially on offense and it will be more in the future if they can show this offense will work in the SEC.

The other thing that seems to be happening is the new staff is taking advantage of the transfer portal to fill holes very well. I look at the transfer portal in a similar way as I do JC. If you have too many of these guys it could blow up in your face but you can also get them ready to play at least serviceable when it's apparent you have hole in a position group.

I don't think Mullen and the Country Club had a woe is me attitude - I think they didn't believe that MSU could recruit out of state because we weren't a Florida type program, and they were all here just to build toward their own next step.
Leach & Company have been on the other side - they have been at schools that are damn near impossible to recruit to and see recruiting to MSU as a bonus - and as such aren't afraid of taking shots on out of state guys.

Ultimately, it may not make much difference in the lunacy that is recruiting rankings. Where it likely helps us is that instead of getting a marginal 3 star who needs a redshirt year+ to develop, we get high 3 stars and 4 stars who are able to compete day 1, making us deeper and more competitive all around.

TrapGame
08-03-2021, 09:32 AM
I don't think Mullen and the Country Club had a woe is me attitude - I think they didn't believe that MSU could recruit out of state because we weren't a Florida type program, and they were all here just to build toward their own next step.
Leach & Company have been on the other side - they have been at schools that are damn near impossible to recruit to and see recruiting to MSU as a bonus - and as such aren't afraid of taking shots on out of state guys.

Ultimately, it may not make much difference in the lunacy that is recruiting rankings. Where it likely helps us is that instead of getting a marginal 3 star who needs a redshirt year+ to develop, we get high 3 stars and 4 stars who are able to compete day 1, making us deeper and more competitive all around.

T-Buck got here from FSU and was aghast at our recruiting efforts. He knew of a four star OL in Florida (I forgot his name. He was a great starter for us. I think he's playing in the NFL today). Mullen didn't think we could get him. He had no one on him. Told T-Buck give it a try but don't get mad when he doesn't come. T-Buck pulled him in and had him signed like it was nothing.

drummerdawg
08-03-2021, 12:02 PM
I am actually impressed with our recruiting with Leach here. He seems to be as good or better than Moorhead and we know he is a better coach than SloMo.

Just curious, but what has been so impressive with Leach's recruiting? I'm not saying it's bad, yet, but this is his first true recruiting class. Right now we have the 2nd most commits in the SEC and we're tied with Vandy with the least amount of 4* players with 0. We're also 2nd to last in average rating per player according to 247. I'm sure we'll pick up a couple decently rated players before signing day, but we're not doing anything to turn heads in recruiting. JoMo may not have been a great HC but he was a decent recruiter.

StarkVegasSteve
08-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Just curious, but what has been so impressive with Leach's recruiting? I'm not saying it's bad, yet, but this is his first true recruiting class. Right now we have the 2nd most commits in the SEC and we're tied with Vandy with the least amount of 4* players with 0. We're also 2nd to last in average rating per player according to 247. I'm sure we'll pick up a couple decently rated players before signing day, but we're not doing anything to turn heads in recruiting. JoMo may not have been a great HC but he was a decent recruiter.

Leach openly loathes recruiting. He hates recruiting 21 of the 22 positions on the field. He wants to only recruit and evaluate QBs. He leaves everything else to his staff. This isn't a new thing. He's always been like this.

Tbonewannabe
08-03-2021, 03:19 PM

We might not have 4* guys on some list but we are getting guys over LSU, FSU, South Carolina, etc... To me that means that these are legitimate guys. We are currently #23 in recruiting per 247. Not too shabby.

Leeshouldveflanked
08-04-2021, 06:29 AM
If Leach is a failure after year 3, the new AD will hire a new coach.

FISHDAWG
08-04-2021, 08:08 AM
Leach openly loathes recruiting. He hates recruiting 21 of the 22 positions on the field. He wants to only recruit and evaluate QBs. He leaves everything else to his staff. This isn't a new thing. He's always been like this.

Did you read the article? ... apparently Leach was very involved and the Defensive recruit was impressed with him

StarkVegasSteve
08-04-2021, 08:20 AM
Did you read the article? ... apparently Leach was very involved and the Defensive recruit was impressed with him

I didn't read the article. Glad to know Leach was involved. I know with most of our recruits he is not so good to know he was on that one.

Catfish
08-04-2021, 09:38 AM
If Leach is a failure after year 3, the new AD will hire a new coach.

New AD?

FriarsPoint
08-04-2021, 09:53 AM
New AD?

If Leach fails, Cohen will go with him. Count on it.

StarkVegasSteve
08-04-2021, 10:01 AM
If Leach fails, Cohen will go with him. Count on it.

I said the same thing....until Lemonis won the National Championship. That might provide Cohen enough goodwill to be able to make another hire. The thing is, I feel like the next HC might already be on staff if it was to happen. Arnett is one of the brightest young coaches in the game.

TrapGame
08-04-2021, 10:12 AM
I said the same thing....until Lemonis won the National Championship. That might provide Cohen enough goodwill to be able to make another hire. The thing is, I feel like the next HC might already be on staff if it was to happen. Arnett is one of the brightest young coaches in the game.

Yeah, but Arnett has no experience as the head guy. We'll go with another offensive minded coach, preferably head coach at a mid major. And I bet it will be a return to more of a Mullen style offensive.

Johnson85
08-04-2021, 10:20 AM

Really hard to fire a head coach and hire one of his assistants. I can be done, but it's unusual.

StarkVegasSteve
08-04-2021, 10:54 AM
Really hard to fire a head coach and hire one of his assistants. I can be done, but it's unusual.

The only thing is that Arnett is not a Leach lifer like some on staff(Miller, Nichol, Brock, McBath).

Homedawg
08-04-2021, 10:55 AM

His point is for the most part accurate. CML hates recruiting. I don't think he meant never speaks to others besides qb. But if he had his preferred way, that would be it.

Jack Lambert
08-04-2021, 11:28 AM
I'm not talking about on field production. I'm talking about recruiting. I was saying it's nice now having a staff putting in more effort than the other schools.

I understood that. I was just pointing out that Mullen could coach who ever he had up.

Coach34
08-04-2021, 11:33 AM
Mullen was the best in the country at developing players.

Not really. Everybody develops players with modern weightrooms and strength coaches

Mullen is the best at identifying talent that hasnt matured yet at 18 years old. It's a special talent that can see athletes and what they can become even though at 18 years old they arent through growing or maturing. Anybody can see what a Cox or Simmons is going to be. But it's guys like Mullen that see the ceilings for guys like Prescott, Fitzgerald, Clausell, Jordan Thomas, Banks, Jenkins, etc that others miss. Mullen didnt develop them anymore than your other random program would. Mullen saw their ceiling was higher and hasnt been met yet. It's the same for NFL GM's- some have a real knack for seeing these things and others dont. The Patriots/Belichek spot talent in the later rounds better than most franchises.

Coach34
08-04-2021, 11:36 AM
T-Buck got here from FSU and was aghast at our recruiting efforts. He knew of a four star OL in Florida (I forgot his name. He was a great starter for us. I think he's playing in the NFL today). Mullen didn't think we could get him. He had no one on him. Told T-Buck give it a try but don't get mad when he doesn't come. T-Buck pulled him in and had him signed like it was nothing.

This is correct. The Country Club would much rather sign a project they think will develop than battle for a legit, mature talent.

AROB44
08-04-2021, 11:41 AM
Say what you want, but the "Country Club" gave us the best football record in their tenure that anyone else and I don't see anyone on the horizon that will match them.

Coach34
08-04-2021, 11:46 AM
Say what you want, but the "Country Club" gave us the best football record in their tenure that anyone else and I don't see anyone on the horizon that will match them.

No doubt. They focused on finding talent in Mississippi and the surrounding states that may take a couple of years to mature. They didnt spend much time chasing guys that they would have to outrecruit big schools on. They found some hellacious talent doing that. But they also failed to be consistent on the OL and never recruited well enough at WR. However, their "development approach" also kept us consistently solid over his 9 years with a few ups and rare downs.

StarkVegasSteve
08-04-2021, 12:22 PM
No doubt. They focused on finding talent in Mississippi and the surrounding states that may take a couple of years to mature. They didnt spend much time chasing guys that they would have to outrecruit big schools on. They found some hellacious talent doing that. But they also failed to be consistent on the OL and never recruited well enough at WR. However, their "development approach" also kept us consistently solid over his 9 years with a few ups and rare downs.

The thing Dan was able to do was that no one before him was able to do was that he was able to minimize the down years. By that I mean that a down year would still be 6-7 wins and a bowl. Under previous coaches the down year would be a struggle to 4 wins. That's what made him special. His up's were good and he took us to great heights, but elevating the floor was his biggest accomplishment at State.

Tbonewannabe
08-04-2021, 01:16 PM
Not really. Everybody develops players with modern weightrooms and strength coaches

Mullen is the best at identifying talent that hasnt matured yet at 18 years old. It's a special talent that can see athletes and what they can become even though at 18 years old they arent through growing or maturing. Anybody can see what a Cox or Simmons is going to be. But it's guys like Mullen that see the ceilings for guys like Prescott, Fitzgerald, Clausell, Jordan Thomas, Banks, Jenkins, etc that others miss. Mullen didnt develop them anymore than your other random program would. Mullen saw their ceiling was higher and hasnt been met yet. It's the same for NFL GM's- some have a real knack for seeing these things and others dont. The Patriots/Belichek spot talent in the later rounds better than most franchises.

Mullen also typically was able to fit the player into his scheme and maximize what they could do, most of the time. Brandon Holloway was a big example where Mullen had his head in his ass but most of the time he was good at it.

Bothrops
08-04-2021, 04:44 PM

Because he signed a top 25 class his first year, despite the recruiting outfits constantly downgrading the ratings of our commits. Truly remarkable task for the 2021 class, that he got us in at #25.

TheLostDawg
08-04-2021, 05:17 PM
The thing Dan was able to do was that no one before him was able to do was that he was able to minimize the down years. By that I mean that a down year would still be 6-7 wins and a bowl. Under previous coaches the down year would be a struggle to 4 wins. That's what made him special. His up's were good and he took us to great heights, but elevating the floor was his biggest accomplishment at State.

I agree but he did have a season we only won five and got to a bowl only due to academics. Won the bowl to make it to six wins with as blocked field goal but yes most of the time the bottom was six games plus a bowl

MetEdDawg
08-04-2021, 05:49 PM
The problem now is no longer Ole Miss. The issue is out of state. Bama, Georgia, Miami, and FSU each have a commit from one of the Top 5 players in MS.

We have to find a way to fix that.

R2Dawg
08-04-2021, 06:45 PM

Agree the NC might change some things, but two blunder hires in a row is bad in the money sport. Oh and throw in the horrible WBB hire of a national powerhouse he destroyed.

Coach34
08-04-2021, 06:55 PM
Deleted