PDA

View Full Version : Questions With Camp Starting This Week

confucius say
08-02-2021, 12:56 PM
What are the 3 most intriguing position battles?

Are you aware this is the first time since 2008 that our entire coaching staff has returned?

How are season ticket sales?

RiverCityDawg
08-02-2021, 01:48 PM

Are you aware this is the first time since 2008 that our entire coaching staff has returned?

I got lots of battles I'm watching, so not stopping at 3...

QB - I think Will is going to be the guy, but how long until that's apparent?

Right Tackle - Is Lashley finally ready to be a starter or will it be Kam Jones?

WR - How is the rotation going to look inside with Calvin added to the mix? Will Polk or Ducking start at Z? Where do the freshman line up?

RB - I think Woody and DJ will pretty well split reps, but does one separate themself? Does Price or Hargrove make a bid for reps?

Backup LB - Seems like it will be Groce in the middle, but what about WLB (Johnson or Purvis) and SLB (Timbs, Lewis, Cooper)?

Safety - We have a bunch of guys with Green coming on new plus Peters, Morgan, Dean and Lawrence back healthy. Where does everyone fit and can guys take a step forward?

Lord McBuckethead
08-02-2021, 01:50 PM
The new Juco guy at WR is going to be something. Mark it down.
He has some sort of nickname like Coco or something.

Maverick91
08-02-2021, 04:22 PM
The new Juco guy at WR is going to be something. Mark it down.
He has some sort of nickname like Coco or something.

What is his name?

Lord McBuckethead
08-02-2021, 04:25 PM
don't remember. It is a new guy that Spurrier has been talking up. Says he is going to dominate with Walley on the other side.
Had a big spring.

Lord McBuckethead
08-02-2021, 04:29 PM
It may be Makai Polk. I could have sworn the dude he was talking about had a nickname though.

Lord McBuckethead
08-02-2021, 04:31 PM
Having Jamere Calvin on the team is going to place a guy with 2 years experience in Leach's offense on the team. It can only help Griffin.

Lord McBuckethead
08-02-2021, 04:32 PM
Can we put Forbes on the offensive side every once in a while, just to stretch the field?

William Tecumsah Sherman
08-02-2021, 05:09 PM
Polk transferred from Cal, correct?

Maverick91
08-02-2021, 05:09 PM
Can we put Forbes on the offensive side every once in a while, just to stretch the field?

You think Forbes has more speed than our receivers? That's not good.

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 06:54 PM
The most intriguing battle this fall will be without a doubt at QB. I think Rogers wins it. It's just easy to base too much off the spring game. After watching the spring game my biggest concern with Rogers was actually him trying to do too much at times which created some turnovers. We can not have that this year. I think if Rogers loses his job that will most likely be why.

Not really a specific position battle but we need some transfers to have a major impact for once. At least two of Calvin, Polk, Green, and Lashley need to have an immediate impact. We have a history of success with JUCO players- but we also need to hit on the transfer market because we are always going to struggle in recruiting high school players as long as "shiny blue blood helmet" syndrome exists with Mississippi recruits. But we can get some of those guys back now - like Lashley- under the current rules. We also need to start using USM as a AAA team because I'm sure they get some borderline guys that want to come to MSU and then take the ones that pan out through the portal.

The other question I have is how quickly can Teddy Knox get acclimated? I think he is an impact player. But I also know with him being a freshman there will be an adjustment period like there was with Walley and Tulu. So is it game 5-6 like it was with Walley? Or game 10 like it was with Tulu?

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 06:56 PM
You think Forbes has more speed than our receivers? That's not good.

I don't know. Deion Sander, Rod Woodson, and Darrel Green were three of the fastest players in NFL history and they were all DB's.

Really the question is whether Forbes hands are good enough to be effective there or not? The other issue is guys that play both ways in college are going to be limited in their route running package because their primary focus is on their primary position.

Offshore Dawg
08-02-2021, 07:25 PM
I don't know. Deion Sander, Rod Woodson, and Darrel Green were three of the fastest players in NFL history and they were all DB's.

Really the question is whether Forbes hands are good enough to be effective there or not? The other issue is guys that play both ways in college are going to be limited in their route running package because their primary focus is on their primary position.

There's the goal line run fast !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2021, 07:45 PM

We?ve got guys like Tulu, Knox, Ducking, etc that are far more built for that.

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2021, 08:52 PM

Everything is just about settled except for OL and S. We know who are guys are everywhere else.

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2021, 08:55 PM
The starting WRs are going to be Polk Walley Williams/Calvin and Heath. The offense hinges on the OL. If they are good we are going to score.

confucius say
08-02-2021, 08:58 PM
The starting WRs are going to be Polk Walley Williams/Calvin and Heath. The offense hinges on the OL. If they are good we are going to score.

Compare Polk to somebody so I can get a mental picture please. Is he more or less explosive than Heath?

Jarius
08-02-2021, 09:11 PM
Compare Polk to somebody so I can get a mental picture please. Is he more or less explosive than Heath?

He is built like Osirus Mitchell. He catches the ball better though.

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 09:20 PM
delete

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 09:21 PM

No Tulu in the starting lineup? Not that it matters much because Leach likes to rotate.

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 09:22 PM
We?ve got guys like Tulu, Knox, Ducking, etc that are far more built for that.

I think Ducking needs more time to develop.

Lord McBuckethead
08-02-2021, 09:51 PM
I think Ducking needs more time to develop.

What has he been doing all year? Winners 17n ball. Simple as that.

confucius say
08-02-2021, 10:00 PM
He is built like Osirus Mitchell. He catches the ball better though.

Oh wow. Didn't realize he was that big.

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2021, 10:29 PM
No Tulu in the starting lineup? Not that it matters much because Leach likes to rotate.

He will play a lot and will return punts and kicks. I think he scores in the first game on a tunnel screen

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2021, 10:30 PM

He is more explosive BUT, Malik Heath has had one of the best off seasons on the team. He has completely changed his body and is a brand new kid. I think he plays his way into the NFL

BuckyIsAB****
08-02-2021, 10:31 PM

He is not quite as tall but is more explosive. He has impressed I expect him to start game 1

Jarius
08-02-2021, 10:33 PM

He’s 2 inches shorter but just looking at him on the field he is wiry like Osirus and a little bit of a long strider. However his feet look quick on the screens in this highlight. He can make people miss.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OqTptAhLlxA

RiverCityDawg
08-03-2021, 06:41 AM
He is more explosive BUT, Malik Heath has had one of the best off seasons on the team. He has completely changed his body and is a brand new kid. I think he plays his way into the NFL

Good stuff on Heath, Bucky.

And after recently rewatching some of our games and going back (again) to some old WSU games, I agree with your comments about the OL 100%. If we give the QB time we'll move the ball and score points. Drop 8, man-to-man, it doesn't matter, the key is protection.

BiscuitEater
08-03-2021, 07:51 AM

Think they are giving him a shot at punt return job.

FISHDAWG
08-03-2021, 11:50 AM
Think they are giving him a shot at punt return job.

I think it's not gonna be easy to beat out Griffin ... Finally we have some excitement now with him back there - check out his last game against Tulsa

Tbonewannabe
08-04-2021, 02:28 PM
I think it's not gonna be easy to beat out Griffin ... Finally we have some excitement now with him back there - check out his last game against Tulsa

He has an extra gear and gets there quick.