PDA

View Full Version : Kumar Rocker

Randolph Dupree
08-01-2021, 11:57 AM
So he didn't sign. Looks like he'll be back at Vandy.

ZedFedder
08-01-2021, 12:25 PM
Think he has until 5pm today, but still looks like he may be back.

Todd4State
08-01-2021, 12:26 PM

Sounds like the Mets are saying nevermind.

This kind of reminds me of Carter Stewart.

ZedFedder
08-01-2021, 12:30 PM

Very much a similar situation. Kind of crazy on the Mets part, tbh.

Homedawg
08-01-2021, 12:34 PM
So he didn't sign. Looks like he'll be back at Vandy.

He might be back at Vandy. But maybe not. I wouldn't call that one 100% by a long shot.

Commercecomet24
08-01-2021, 12:41 PM
He might be back at Vandy. But maybe not. I wouldn't call that one 100% by a long shot.

This. It's not 100% at all he'll go back go Vandy especially with how he was used this year and how this turned out.

KOdawg1
08-01-2021, 12:55 PM
He probably needs to sign. Look at Carter Stewart

Todd4State
08-01-2021, 12:56 PM

This. It's not 100% at all he'll go back go Vandy especially with how he was used this year and how this turned out.

I could definitely see him sitting out the season and just train and rehab.

Commercecomet24
08-01-2021, 01:09 PM

Yep exactly

AlSwearengen
08-01-2021, 01:09 PM
I’d love to know what the Mets are offering. I would also love to know the physical report on his arm.

It will be very interesting to see how this shakes out. I can’t imagine that there are any decent options.

basedog
08-01-2021, 01:15 PM
He will play, to much money to be made from all the sponsors Vandy will provide him. Probably more money for a one year deal.

Lord McBuckethead
08-01-2021, 01:16 PM
Why go back to Vandy and pitch 120 pitches in a nonconference game in early March, for free?

maroonmania
08-01-2021, 01:30 PM

I'm wondering what the Mets thinks he needs? Maybe surgery? I would think he may need more than rest and rehab if the Mets don't really want him anymore.

Randolph Dupree
08-01-2021, 01:32 PM
Yep exactly

I suspect he goes back to Vandy, but doesn't pitch an inning. Rehab and train. He will still have leverage next year (due to COVID year) so I think he "goes back" on paper only.

Randolph Dupree
08-01-2021, 01:34 PM
I'm wondering what the Mets thinks he needs? Maybe surgery? I would think he may need more than rest and rehab if the Mets don't really want him anymore.

This is the most puzzling thing. What could it be? If it's a torn UCL, so what? They've shown many times that they'll take that risk. Maybe the dude's dick and they just decided they didn't want him.

shoeless joe
08-01-2021, 02:37 PM
Heard yesterday, or read I can’t remember, that his mechanics are worrisome for clubs in regards to future injury. Now I don’t know how much that comes into play here since the Mets had looked hard at this already I’m sure. And like someone else mentioned, if it was a Tommy John type issue then it prolly wouldn’t affect things much. I personally would be surprised if he’s back at vandy to pitch next yr.

If the Mets are high on him they should just sign him. They’ve saved enough of their slot money to give him plenty and it doesn’t do them any good at this point to low ball because it’s not like they can pocket the difference…based on my understanding of how their allotment works. I could be wrong.

The Federalist Engineer
08-01-2021, 02:58 PM

I feel bad for the advice this kid got for 3 years now if he does not sign today.

(1) should never have been in Vandy at all, too good for college
(2) if he had gone pro in 2018, he would already be a major leaguer today

Even with a full scholarship his opportunity cost for worthless Undecided Major classes is now in the Millions of dollars.

Will Hunting would say, "you paid millions for an education you could have gotten from Sesame Street every morning, for free"

Jarius
08-01-2021, 03:51 PM

This is why the Mets are the Mets. Not doing your homework on a first round draft pick is inexcusable. I’m a Braves fan so I find it hilarious but good lord.

ZedFedder
08-01-2021, 04:04 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1421939168901574656

AlSwearengen
08-01-2021, 04:09 PM
I suspect he goes back to Vandy, but doesn't pitch an inning. Rehab and train. He will still have leverage next year (due to COVID year) so I think he "goes back" on paper only.

Maybe pitch at the end of the year if there is no significant injury? He would need to show mlb that he can pitch. Wasn’t there another highly thought of college prospect (not as high as Rocker) that basically sat most of the year and came back at the end of the year?

Randolph Dupree
08-01-2021, 04:27 PM
Well, looks like he's not going to sign with the Mets or go back to Vandy. I guess either Indy ball or taking a year off altogether. The whole thing is strange

Jack Lambert
08-01-2021, 04:29 PM

I don't know how well off his family is but a free college education is hard to come by for playing baseball. Side note he could possibly go somewhere else and sign and NIL contract.

Jarius
08-01-2021, 04:33 PM
I don't know how well off his family is but a free college education is hard to come by for playing baseball. Side note he could possibly go somewhere else and sign and NIL contract.

His dad was a position coach in the SEC for a long time and now coaches in the NFL. His family has plenty of money. Seeing him turn down pro money and not go back to Vandy makes me LOL at Vandy. Screw them.

Homedawg
08-01-2021, 04:57 PM

He will get his college laid for whenever he does sign. So that's not a worry....nil is chicken feed compared to what he's passing on. Even if they just offered him the minimum to get the pick next year.

Coach34
08-01-2021, 05:14 PM
rumor is that he needs surgery

Commercecomet24
08-01-2021, 07:02 PM

Dad played in nfl for years and is now an nfl coach. That plenty of money.

Commercecomet24
08-01-2021, 07:03 PM
rumor is that he needs surgery

Bingo.

99jc
08-01-2021, 07:19 PM
Bingo.

i saw on a sports show he may need tommy john surgery.

msstatelp1
08-01-2021, 07:24 PM
He probably needs to sign. Look at Carter Stewart

I realize he's in Japan but a 6 yr $7 million minimum guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at.

ZedFedder
08-01-2021, 08:15 PM
Deleted

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 01:30 AM

As others have said- Tommy John. The bad thing about this is Vanderbilt overworked him and basically made him pitch hurt at times.

This is why the Mets are the Mets. Not doing your homework on a first round draft pick is inexcusable. I’m a Braves fan so I find it hilarious but good lord.
Basically a major front office/player development fail. I guarantee you that next time around whoever they draft will have had a physical pre-draft. Of course, at least they will get another draft pick next year so that helps them.

Maybe pitch at the end of the year if there is no significant injury? He would need to show mlb that he can pitch. Wasn’t there another highly thought of college prospect (not as high as Rocker) that basically sat most of the year and came back at the end of the year?

You're thinking about Luke Hochever who pitched for the Royals. He actually pitched in independent baseball. I suspect that Rocker will assess what he needs to do now as far as surgery or rest and rehab. I also suspect he will end up with someone like Tom House that will basically work to maximize his mechanics once he is done with rehab which is inevitable surgery or not. I suspect someone will take Rocker in like the second round or something like that and he will take whatever he can get at that point. Since we know Rocker has an injury I can't see him pitching for a MLB team late next year at all.

I realize he's in Japan but a 6 yr $7 million minimum guaranteed is nothing to sneeze at.

I think he made a mistake long term as he is unlikely to play MLB and because he is struggling in Japan he won't be able to get the big contract in MLB for his free agency years.

Tbonewannabe
08-02-2021, 07:56 AM

It was a gamble on his part. He basically skipped the minors to play in Japan hoping to get a free agent deal when he was done. It would skip all the arbitration crap and all the bullshit that MLB teams pull to keep them on the rookie deals. Most first round picks get fast tracked for MLB anyway so not sure why you would go that route unless it was a special case. The fact that he isn't doing well doesn't mean he didn't make the right choice. Who knows if he would have done the same thing in the minors and flamed out. This way he got $7 Mil whereas the Braves offered less than $2 Mil and then he makes less than minimum wage while he flames out in the minors.

The only way it was a bad decision is if he would have gotten better rehab/treatment in the minors and would have made MLB.

redstickdawg
08-02-2021, 07:59 AM
Makes a case for the strategy that our staff had with our pitchers and using them sparingly and with their future in mind.

basedog
08-02-2021, 08:02 AM
I will be honest, not knowing Rocker's situation, I'm not surprised he didn't sign. For some reason he seems a little "all in for himself", maybe he is a good teammate but looking on from the outside I'm glad I'm not a fan.

Tbonewannabe
08-02-2021, 08:37 AM
I will be honest, not knowing Rocker's situation, I'm not surprised he didn't sign. For some reason he seems a little "all in for himself", maybe he is a good teammate but looking on from the outside I'm glad I'm not a fan.

Not sure if that is true since he let Corbin throw his arm off. Look at that vs how we treated Ginn. He was on a pitch count and rarely went close to 100 pitches. We also shut him down trying to save his arm. Lemonis did everything a coach could do.

Dawg_Lover
08-02-2021, 10:16 AM
This may be a dumb question, but asking those, with knowledge, is how I learn.
Could a decent pitcher still at Vandy, after seeing what happened with Kumar Rocker, transfer somewhere he felt his health and future were better protected?

Johnson85
08-02-2021, 10:21 AM
Dad played in nfl for years and is now an nfl coach. That plenty of money.

His dad only played for two years after being a 3rd round draft pick. I am guessing he didn't make bank in the NFL. He has been coaching for a while and making good money, but it's several hundreds of thousands a year to half a million a year, not multimillion dollar contractcs. All that to say, while I'm sure the family's not hurting for money, I doubt he's in the same position as Leiter, where he is set for life regardless of any MLB money.

The Federalist Engineer
08-02-2021, 10:55 AM
Not sure if that is true since he let Corbin throw his arm off. Look at that vs how we treated Ginn. He was on a pitch count and rarely went close to 100 pitches. We also shut him down trying to save his arm. Lemonis did everything a coach could do.

Agree - Rocker was a warrior and war horse for Vandy.

A "Me" guy would never have gone to Vandy in 2018. He could have opted out to optimize his 2021 draft status.

Rocker was even giving away his NIL to Vandy propaganda. Ads made before the NIL policy monetization.

https://news.vanderbilt.edu/2020/09/28/watch-how-to-be-a-champion/

If anything, Rocker was "Too Little for Himself" and Corbin was eager to pillage and exploit the lad.

Johnson85
08-02-2021, 12:10 PM
As others have said- Tommy John. The bad thing about this is Vanderbilt overworked him and basically made him pitch hurt at times.

Basically a major front office/player development fail. I guarantee you that next time around whoever they draft will have had a physical pre-draft. Of course, at least they will get another draft pick next year so that helps them.

You're thinking about Luke Hochever who pitched for the Royals. He actually pitched in independent baseball. I suspect that Rocker will assess what he needs to do now as far as surgery or rest and rehab. I also suspect he will end up with someone like Tom House that will basically work to maximize his mechanics once he is done with rehab which is inevitable surgery or not. I suspect someone will take Rocker in like the second round or something like that and he will take whatever he can get at that point. Since we know Rocker has an injury I can't see him pitching for a MLB team late next year at all.

I think he made a mistake long term as he is unlikely to play MLB and because he is struggling in Japan he won't be able to get the big contract in MLB for his free agency years.

He set himself for life. If he had gone to the minors and flamed out, he would have been in a good financial situation, but not set for life. Hard to call what he did a mistake. I'd have advised my son to do what he did. He's still keeping the possibility of a huge paycheck, but also guaranteeing himself that he will be taken care of if he fails.

basedog
08-02-2021, 12:12 PM
May I add about Rocker and pitch count, why on God's Green Earth didn't he and/or family take control and set a limit? No way do I blame all on Corbin although he obviously is all in for himself as well! Would any of you guys just let things go? College kids are not adults and they are still growing which stress on the body can and does cause problems.

It's still very weird to me that he and the Mets could not make a deal. Who knows if "attitude" played a part.

BrunswickDawg
08-02-2021, 12:40 PM
May I add about Rocker and pitch count, why on God's Green Earth didn't he and/or family take control and set a limit? No way do I blame all on Corbin although he obviously is all in for himself as well! Would any of you guys just let things go? College kids are not adults and they are still growing which stress on the body can and does cause problems.

It's still very weird to me that he and the Mets could not make a deal. Who knows if "attitude" played a part.

The Mets wouldn't even make an offer - whatever they saw in the physical must look bad.

basedog
08-02-2021, 12:46 PM
The Mets wouldn't even make an offer - whatever they saw in the physical must look bad.

I didn't know that. I thought it was a below the 11th pick offer. Still again some very strange stuff.

trob115
08-02-2021, 12:53 PM

I disagree. There is no guarantee he gets paid in free agency if he signs for below slot by the Braves. Dude got 5 million more than what he would have had he signed with the Braves. I'd say he'll be okay.

Johnson85
08-02-2021, 01:51 PM

Are you sure about this? I thought they had to offer something like 40% of slot to get a compensatory pick for next year. They didn't just walk away from the pick did they?

ETA: I was wrong. Apparently, since Rocker was selected to participate in pre-draft MRI (and I guess full physical?) and declined, that relieved the Mets of their obligation to offer anything in order to get a compensatory pick next year.

Homedawg
08-02-2021, 02:12 PM

Stand corrected if previous poster is correct and have no reason to believ he made up the info about the combine.

Dawg_Lover
08-02-2021, 02:13 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/sources-mets-kumar-rocker-deal-234519936.html

Randolph Dupree
08-02-2021, 02:26 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/sources-mets-kumar-rocker-deal-234519936.html

So, if I read that correctly, the $6M was contingent on a physical and after the results of said exam the Mets offered him zero bonus, just a minor league salary. If I read that correctly, what could've been in there to make that the situation. Again, MLB has shown repeatedly that they're perfectly willing to take the risk on TJ surgery.

Johnson85
08-02-2021, 02:51 PM
So, if I read that correctly, the $6M was contingent on a physical and after the results of said exam the Mets offered him zero bonus, just a minor league salary. If I read that correctly, what could've been in there to make that the situation. Again, MLB has shown repeatedly that they're perfectly willing to take the risk on TJ surgery.

It really is crazy that they offered nothing. You'd think a couple of million would be relatively low risk, high reward play. I wondered if Boras convinced them trying to get him at a discount would be more trouble than it's worth.

BrunswickDawg
08-02-2021, 03:15 PM

It really is crazy that they offered nothing. You'd think a couple of million would be relatively low risk, high reward play. I wondered if Boras convinced them trying to get him at a discount would be more trouble than it's worth.

Meanwhile Boras really parses his words in his statements, saying there is "no significant change" from 2018 to now in his MRIs and no surgery is needed.
This tells me there is healed damage of some kind that must have spooked the Mets.

Catfish
08-02-2021, 03:30 PM
I think the overall issue is Boras wanting all or nothing and the Mets said nothing.

Dawg_Lover
08-02-2021, 04:11 PM
I think the overall issue is Boras wanting all or nothing and the Mets said nothing.

Even with the speculative elbow and fluctuating velocity issues, might a different agent have at least gotten him into the league with a livable paycheck, rather than nothing?

Jack Lambert
08-02-2021, 04:14 PM
Just another reason to hate Vandy's coach.

Catfish
08-02-2021, 04:37 PM
Even with the speculative elbow and fluctuating velocity issues, might a different agent have at least gotten him into the league with a livable paycheck, rather than nothing?

Yes

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 06:43 PM
I disagree. There is no guarantee he gets paid in free agency if he signs for below slot by the Braves. Dude got 5 million more than what he would have had he signed with the Braves. I'd say he'll be okay.

He set himself for life. If he had gone to the minors and flamed out, he would have been in a good financial situation, but not set for life. Hard to call what he did a mistake. I'd have advised my son to do what he did. He's still keeping the possibility of a huge paycheck, but also guaranteeing himself that he will be taken care of if he fails.

The reason I said it was a mistake is because if he had made it to MLB as a starting pitcher the average annual salary is 5.2 million a year as of 2018. I picked 2018 because that was data from the article I found to check my facts. It could very well be more now. One mistake fans in general make with regards to the draft as far as financials go is ultimately a baseball career isn't about how much you can make as a draft pick. It's about how much you can make over the course of your career. So even if you get a high bonus up front a wise person would choose a smaller bonus with a larger long term pay day over a course of a career. And the best way to do that is to go to college in most cases (assuming a draft bonus below 2 million after taxes) and increase your value through development and then go pro. Going to Japan doesn't increase your odds of making it in MLB.

https://www.sportscasting.com/how-much-money-does-the-average-mlb-player-make/

Todd4State
08-02-2021, 06:45 PM

I think Rocker will get into pro baseball and MLB eventually. Even after this. So, while I expect him to get way less than whatever the slot was he will get a good bonus and into pro baseball and ultimately that's a big step to getting that big free agent contract down the road.

Tbonewannabe
08-03-2021, 08:27 AM

It also helped that his contract in Japan was fully guaranteed.

Johnson85
08-03-2021, 08:40 AM
The reason I said it was a mistake is because if he had made it to MLB as a starting pitcher the average annual salary is 5.2 million a year as of 2018. I picked 2018 because that was data from the article I found to check my facts. It could very well be more now. One mistake fans in general make with regards to the draft as far as financials go is ultimately a baseball career isn't about how much you can make as a draft pick. It's about how much you can make over the course of your career. So even if you get a high bonus up front a wise person would choose a smaller bonus with a larger long term pay day over a course of a career. And the best way to do that is to go to college in most cases (assuming a draft bonus below 2 million after taxes) and increase your value through development and then go pro. Going to Japan doesn't increase your odds of making it in MLB.

You are completely ignoring risk. There is a huge difference between making $2M over four or five years and $7M over six years. The first is a nice head start that allows you a lot of flexibility if you flame out. The second is an amount that will let you not work at all if you prefer, or more realistically, work at something you like while bringing in 120k per year from investments, with that amount growing with inflation (and in most cases, your nest egg continuing to grow).

There is a huge difference in quality of life between having $120k in investment income coming versus having $40k come in (assuming you managed to save about half of your $2M signing bonus). While there are certainly always ways to spend more money, you don't get the same huge jump going from $120k to say $360k a year to spend (especially if you are not tied to a high cost of living area).

And that $5.2M is grossly skewed by the highest paid players. And most pitchers aren't going to make it to free agency, so they'll never get that big payday. The average pitcher is going to get one year of pay when they're eligible for arbitration. So even if Stewart had taken the $2M and had an average career, he wouldn't have made anything like $5.2M per year. He'd have made the minimum for three years and then gotten a bump his last year (presumably not a huge one since the average player is going to be out of the pros after that year). Let's say he made the median pitcher salary of $2.8M for that last year. With three years of the median, he'd make around $4.5M plus his signing bonus of $2M would put him at $6.5M. So even if he has an average MLB career for a pitcher, which is a pretty great result, he still could make less than he guaranteed himself with his first contract in Japan. And if he is the type of player that is above average, even for MLB, then presumably he can still make it from Japan and isn't giving up much except for maybe a couple of years of big money.

ScoobaDawg
08-03-2021, 08:43 AM
Good luck to him, just glad he ain't coming back.

Tbonewannabe
08-03-2021, 08:46 AM

But that also assumes that he goes through the minors and becomes a starting MLB pitcher prior to his 6 years are up. So if he was rehabbing his first year, then year 2 is in A, year 3 in AA, and year 4 in AAA or combo year. He probably doesn't make it to MLB until year 4-5. Also, the Braves would then do all the bullshit to have a pitcher on his rookie deal so he isn't making the $5.2 Mil until year 6-7 anyway. And that is if he moves up and doesn't have someone get promoted over him. All this is a complete gamble also that he kicks ass and moves up while the Braves are also steadily drafting more pitchers (because it is the Braves).

He made the safer choice, I can't say that I blame him. You never can tell what happens. Could be like Kirk Presley and have some type of injury where you never even get close to MLB.

BB30
08-03-2021, 11:38 AM
You are completely ignoring risk. There is a huge difference between making $2M over four or five years and $7M over six years. The first is a nice head start that allows you a lot of flexibility if you flame out. The second is an amount that will let you not work at all if you prefer, or more realistically, work at something you like while bringing in 120k per year from investments, with that amount growing with inflation (and in most cases, your nest egg continuing to grow).

There is a huge difference in quality of life between having $120k in investment income coming versus having $40k come in (assuming you managed to save about half of your $2M signing bonus). While there are certainly always ways to spend more money, you don't get the same huge jump going from $120k to say $360k a year to spend (especially if you are not tied to a high cost of living area).

And that $5.2M is grossly skewed by the highest paid players. And most pitchers aren't going to make it to free agency, so they'll never get that big payday. The average pitcher is going to get one year of pay when they're eligible for arbitration. So even if Stewart had taken the $2M and had an average career, he wouldn't have made anything like $5.2M per year. He'd have made the minimum for three years and then gotten a bump his last year (presumably not a huge one since the average player is going to be out of the pros after that year). Let's say he made the median pitcher salary of $2.8M for that last year. With three years of the median, he'd make around $4.5M plus his signing bonus of $2M would put him at $6.5M. So even if he has an average MLB career for a pitcher, which is a pretty great result, he still could make less than he guaranteed himself with his first contract in Japan. And if he is the type of player that is above average, even for MLB, then presumably he can still make it from Japan and isn't giving up much except for maybe a couple of years of big money.

Yep, 2 mil doesn't go very far when your stuck in minor league ball making 1100$ a month or so. You use that bonus pretty quick. He definitely made the correct decision going overseas and taking a guaranteed 7 mil.

TNDawg35
08-03-2021, 11:16 PM
Rumor is now is that Boras lied to the Mets and told them he wasn't hurt, but it came out he was. I have also heard that Rocker got smart with the Mets GM about it all and was acting like the Mets were beneath him. The Mets finally had enough and told him to kick rocks.

The Federalist Engineer
08-04-2021, 11:37 AM
Yep, 2 mil doesn't go very far when your stuck in minor league ball making 1100$ a month or so. You use that bonus pretty quick. He definitely made the correct decision going overseas and taking a guaranteed 7 mil.

Not arguing about the 7M vs 2M difference....but

2M should be able to take you far. Just stay away from wild women, pregnancies, luxurious vehicles, gambling, and alcohol. Just keep your self in a $30-$40K per year budget. Without tuition this is big bucks for a kid. If you eat breakfast at the hotels and take advantage of the any-and-all comps, then you can live like a champ. Just be a Baseball Spartan, practice and work out all the time.

Take PLC, pluming, and Motor Repair courses at the local tech school, this is far more education than General, American, Ethnic, Gender, or Media studies at Vanderbilt. Plus, you will stay busy at night. Volunteer at Church, etc.

If you are a college kid in the same period of time, your earnings are $0 and you are paying most of your tuition and books. Your only indulgence is what mom, dad, and grandparents can provide.

I'll let a Tax guy talk about maximizing the 2M. Probably lose a chunk as a windfall.

Tbonewannabe
08-04-2021, 01:10 PM
Not arguing about the 7M vs 2M difference....but

2M should be able to take you far. Just stay away from wild women, pregnancies, luxurious vehicles, gambling, and alcohol. Just keep your self in a $30-$40K per year budget. Without tuition this is big bucks for a kid. If you eat breakfast at the hotels and take advantage of the any-and-all comps, then you can live like a champ. Just be a Baseball Spartan, practice and work out all the time.

Take PLC, pluming, and Motor Repair courses at the local tech school, this is far more education than General, American, Ethnic, Gender, or Media studies at Vanderbilt. Plus, you will stay busy at night. Volunteer at Church, etc.

If you are a college kid in the same period of time, your earnings are $0 and you are paying most of your tuition and books. Your only indulgence is what mom, dad, and grandparents can provide.

I'll let a Tax guy talk about maximizing the 2M. Probably lose a chunk as a windfall.

I am not a tax guy but I believe they usually split it up over 2 or 3 years for tax purposes for the player, at least I heard that at one time. Just like anything else, I imagine there are very few people that would live on $40k as an 18 year old with dreams of MLB. Parkinson's Law - expenses rise with income. This is true pretty much for everyone, not just athletes. It takes a very disciplined person to get a large windfall like that and not spend a large chunk on a new car/truck, house, or trip/frivolous spending.

Ezsoil
08-04-2021, 01:58 PM
It's sad people like him have given so many people bad advice.

Dawg_Lover
08-04-2021, 03:56 PM
It's sad people like him have given so many people bad advice.

Considering your statement, I do not understand how anyone and/or their family, with the intellectual tools to research an agent?s track record, would use someone like this agent.
Maybe the ego overrode good sense? I cannot know as I do not know him. But it does make me smh and wonder.

Johnson85
08-04-2021, 05:04 PM
Considering your statement, I do not understand how anyone and/or their family, with the intellectual tools to research an agent?s track record, would use someone like this agent.
Maybe the ego overrode good sense? I cannot know as I do not know him. But it does make me smh and wonder.

Boras is supper aggressive and has gotten a lot of players paid a lot of money. That said, he has also 17ed up several times by misreading the market/negotiations. The most high profile time was probably when he advised Alex Rodriquez to opt out of his Yankees contract, which cost the yankees something like $20M in subsidies from the texas rangers, and I think he ended up signing for a smaller amount than he could have had if he had just kept his contract. But there ahve been other times where he misread negotiations and it hurt his clients.

somebodyshotmypaw
08-04-2021, 07:24 PM

To clarify, I don’t think Boras was his agent. He was just advising.

R2Dawg
08-04-2021, 07:31 PM
Rumor is now is that Boras lied to the Mets and told them he wasn't hurt, but it came out he was. I have also heard that Rocker got smart with the Mets GM about it all and was acting like the Mets were beneath him. The Mets finally had enough and told him to kick rocks.

After Rockers arrogant CWS press conference doesn't surprise me that could have happened.