PDA

View Full Version : Will SEC expand further?

TheLostDawg
07-31-2021, 10:29 PM
Current SEC schedule format is expected to end in 2025. That's supposedly when Texas and Oklahoma are suppose to come over though a lot of y'all think next year.

So say they do wait until 2025, do we accept two, four, six more before then? If so, who are our top picks and who are the top picks we could likely get.

Looks like Kansas is trying to move on.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sports/looking-for-new-conference-social-media-reacts-to-promotional-tweet-from-kansas/

Todd4State
07-31-2021, 10:42 PM
Yes. I think the SEC raids the ACC and gets Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina, and Virginia Tech.

MaroonFlounder
07-31-2021, 10:47 PM
I've been wanting Va Tech and FL St in the SEC for a long time.

ZedFedder
08-01-2021, 12:03 AM
UNC would be a big pull for basketball alone. Can you imagine UNC and UK as conference opponents?

TheLostDawg
08-01-2021, 12:51 AM
UNC would be a big pull for basketball alone. Can you imagine UNC and UK as conference opponents?

Or baseball having FSU, Texas, and who is already on the sec

Maroonthirteen
08-01-2021, 06:34 AM
Yes, the SEC will expand again if ESPN tells the SEC there is more money to be had by bringing in Clemson/FSU or basketball schools.

I believe the SEC will try to break down the ACC and get their TV money.

calidawg
08-01-2021, 08:37 AM
ACC teams aren't going anywhere. Anyone who mentions that are simply making hot takes. ACC TV rights deals make it completely untenable for a school to leave the ACC for the next 10 to 15 years.

1bigdawg
08-01-2021, 08:57 AM
I believe the SEC will sit pat and that the other three of the now P4 conferences will expand. Scheduling works well with 16 - better than 14. I don't believe we can break the ACC or the BIG unless we set up one super conference. That does not sound like it would be good for tv revenues.

TheLostDawg
08-01-2021, 09:35 AM
I believe the SEC will sit pat and that the other three of the now P4 conferences will expand. Scheduling works well with 16 - better than 14. I don't believe we can break the ACC or the BIG unless we set up one super conference. That does not sound like it would be good for tv revenues.

Yet we just basically ruined a whole conference already.

If we added more I could see going with Kansas, possibly OK State. Texas tech or West Virginia would also not be a bad grab but certainly more ideal programs are out there.
I do agree that I don't think we get anyone from ACC any time soon.

Quaoarsking
08-01-2021, 09:50 AM
Probably yes. And I think it's extremely likely that the new lineup will be playing in 2022, 2023 at the latest.

TheLostDawg
08-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Probably yes. And I think it's extremely likely that the new lineup will be playing in 2022, 2023 at the latest.

Okay say they do come in 2023, do you think they keep the divisions the same and put Oklahoma in the East (like they did to Missouri) until 2025 when the current format was scheduled to end and then go to pods?

smootness
08-01-2021, 12:58 PM
Who cares. The more teams are added, the more meaningless it is to be in the SEC or in any conference.

The whole system is about to get blown up. And it won't be good for us.

CaptainObvious
08-01-2021, 01:12 PM
https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2021/7/30/22602072/bold-predictions-the-power-5-will-no-longer-exist-by-2030-college-football-superconference

Notice any teams left out in this futuristic Super Conference?

Can you imagine the freak out if Auburn is left out of a Super Conference that includes Alabama?

smootness
08-01-2021, 01:42 PM
Any sort of super conference would be so shortsighted and stupid.

Quaoarsking
08-01-2021, 01:43 PM
Okay say they do come in 2023, do you think they keep the divisions the same and put Oklahoma in the East (like they did to Missouri) until 2025 when the current format was scheduled to end and then go to pods?

No, I think they ditch the current 2014 - 2025 schedule and just start something new whenever they come.

My money is on moving Alabama/Auburn to the East, Missouri to the West, and Oklahoma/Texas to the West rather than pods, but who knows.

Homedawg
08-01-2021, 02:11 PM
Who cares. The more teams are added, the more meaningless it is to be in the SEC or in any conference.

Yep yep and yep

was21
08-01-2021, 02:17 PM
My question is when does the purging start? And at what point does it cease being referred to as the Southeastern Conference? Already beginning to be somewhat of a misnomer.

The Federalist Engineer
08-01-2021, 03:50 PM

Texas and Oklahoma giving themselves to the SEC is like Pergamum giving themselves to the Roman Republic. It became the end of the Republic by triggering uncontrollable greed and ambition

But the unilateral alternative is instantly being USM or East Carolina. The SEC, as a group, should have avoided these poison pill programs. There is more to life than money.

CaptainObvious
08-01-2021, 05:13 PM
Texas and Oklahoma giving themselves to the SEC is like Pergamum giving themselves to the Roman Republic. It became the end of the Republic by triggering uncontrollable greed and ambition

But the unilateral alternative is instantly being USM or East Carolina. The SEC, as a group, should have avoided these poison pill programs. There is more to life than money.

So if there is more to life than money (as it pertains to college football) why does State need the SEC?

PGHBulldogBG
08-01-2021, 06:40 PM
I understand the 64 team field and having the 4 super conferences. I just don?t like the way this whole thing is happening and how big rivals are getting destroyed. I get the big 12 splitting up and it being all money, but I really hope we don?t add more teams about this. 4 conference of 16 teams is good and then all 4 conferences creating the 4 pod structure. Put Ok State, TCU, Tech, Baylor in pac 12. Kansas state and Iowa state in big 10. WVU and Notre Dame in ACC.

CaptainObvious
08-02-2021, 09:09 AM
Any sort of super conference would be so shortsighted and stupid.

I agree. But I could see that as a goal to actually separate the have-a-lot from the have-a-little creating a Super, and another level between the FCS using the Group of 5 and any program that can?t compete and win on the highest level.

So do you think based on historical analogies that Mississippi State and Mississippi compete and win at the highest level of say Top 32 programs.

I am not going to look it up but would bet ours and their average finish over the past 30-40 years is not even close to Top 25 but is probably outside the Top 32 also.