07-29-2021, 11:54 AM
So do they buy or sell at the deadline?

Reasons to buy:

-The Mets aren't that good

-TDA, Ynoa, and Anderson will be coming back from injury soon

-After a tough season so far, the fans need something to get excited about

-There really isn't much to sell

Reasons to sell:

-If we somehow come back to win the division, we'll get trounced in the playoffs anyway

I honestly hope they cautiously buy to give us a chance to make a run, while also setting us up next year. However, AA is a very conservative GM, so I expect us to add a mediocre reliever and a bench bat and call it a day

parabrave
07-29-2021, 12:40 PM
Get rid of Jackson and get a good middle relief. The Baby braves have alot of outfield talent that are stuck in the minors that could be used as Bait. Also trade Pache.

KOdawg1
07-29-2021, 12:54 PM
Get rid of Jackson and get a good middle relief. The Baby braves have alot of outfield talent that are stuck in the minors that could be used as Bait. Also trade Pache.

Yeah, it's time to shit or get off the pot with some of these prospects, because they're losing value by the day

StarkVegasSteve
07-29-2021, 01:16 PM
We don't have much in the farm system left so we really need to strike while the iron is still warm on some of these guys. Whether it's Waters, Pache, Langaliers, or Shewmake we need to make a decision to either keep them or trade them for some guys who can contribute at the highest level for the next 2-3 years. Our window is closing fast and we need to figure out a way to squeeze a World Series out of it. Blowing 3-1 last year is still haunting me.

parabrave
07-29-2021, 04:18 PM
We don't have much in the farm system left so we really need to strike while the iron is still warm on some of these guys. Whether it's Waters, Pache, Langaliers, or Shewmake we need to make a decision to either keep them or trade them for some guys who can contribute at the highest level for the next 2-3 years. Our window is closing fast and we need to figure out a way to squeeze a World Series out of it. Blowing 3-1 last year is still haunting me.

Shewmake needs more seasoning as does CJ Alexander. Pache needs to be back in AA. Waters could play today and Drew Harris is almost ready.

msstate7
07-29-2021, 04:36 PM
Who knows if it means anything or not, but pache not in lineup tonight.

trob115
07-29-2021, 04:51 PM
Would've loved to grab Graveman before Houston did. Honestly the Braves are in a tight spot. So many injuries to key players, but playing pretty well. Of course if Soroka is healthy and Acu?a is too, they are buyers. I wouldn't be shocked to see them make a big move that adds to the team for the next few seasons.

trob115
07-29-2021, 04:53 PM
And to add, Freeman's contract needs to get done, otherwise I could see him going to the Angels or SD.

KOdawg1
07-29-2021, 04:58 PM
Who knows if it means anything or not, but pache not in lineup tonight.

Neither is Shea Langeliers, Trey Harris, and Alex Jackson.

Surely all of these aren't coincidences?

msstate7
07-29-2021, 05:05 PM
Ozuna's felony charge has been reduced to misdemeanor. Could our big acquisition be him? He and TDA would help this offense a ton. Go get another corner OF, and move joc to cf. Offense would be lethal

KOdawg1
07-29-2021, 05:17 PM
Ozuna's felony charge has been reduced to misdemeanor. Could our big acquisition be him? He and TDA would help this offense a ton. Go get another corner OF, and move joc to cf. Offense would be lethal

Wow. Get Ozuna and TDA back, and then go get a guy like Robbie Grossman or Mitch Haniger, and catching the Mets would no longer be hopeful. It'd be likely.

msstate7
07-29-2021, 05:22 PM
Wow. Get Ozuna and TDA back, and then go get a guy like Robbie Grossman or Mitch Haniger, and catching the Mets would no longer be hopeful. It'd be likely.

I'm probably getting ahead of myself. Whether ozuna plays this year is probably still in major doubt. Next year though, he should be there

KOdawg1
07-29-2021, 05:29 PM
I'm probably getting ahead of myself. Whether ozuna plays this year is probably still in major doubt. Next year though, he should be there

I think I saw where his court date is August 10th.

If he's cleared, I don't see why he couldn't.

But yes, in the grand scheme of things, it's good that we won't have wasted that big chunk of change on his contract.

KOdawg1
07-29-2021, 05:34 PM

Man, I hate big market clubs

MetEdDawg
07-29-2021, 07:11 PM
My opinion is we don't need to sell. We are still in the window of being able to compete.

If the plan is to resign Freddie, you get him, Acu?a, Ozzie, Riley, Ozuna, Soroka, Fried, and Anderson for a while. That's a strong nucleus to build around.

Can you get Story and offload Swanson and a few prospects? If so do it. Don't go get Kimbrel. Too expensive. But you need a bench bat/utility person and either resign Morton for 2 years or go get another starter. You could have a rotation of Soroka, Fried, Anderson, Touki (made 2 phenomenal starts since returning) and Morton and be extremely competitive.

Injuries have crushed us this year. But the window is open. Upgrade where you can, but don't destroy the team. There's no need.

Liverpooldawg
07-29-2021, 07:15 PM
My opinion is we don't need to sell. We are still in the window of being able to compete.

If the plan is to resign Freddie, you get him, Acu?a, Ozzie, Riley, Ozuna, Soroka, Fried, and Anderson for a while. That's a strong nucleus to build around.

Can you get Story and offload Swanson and a few prospects? If so do it. Don't go get Kimbrel. Too expensive. But you need a bench bat/utility person and either resign Morton for 2 years or go get another starter. You could have a rotation of Soroka, Fried, Anderson, Touki (made 2 phenomenal starts since returning) and Morton and be extremely competitive.

Injuries have crushed us this year. But the window is open. Upgrade where you can, but don't destroy the team. There's no need.

Agree, the core is there, no need to destroy the team, or pay over price.

StarkVegasSteve
07-30-2021, 11:33 AM

Ozuna is the wild card in all of this. If he comes back then that gives you another big bat to complement Freddie and Riley. If you think you can get him back and still be in contention then I think you buy. If you don't believe you can then you cautiously buy or stand put unless someone blows you away with an offer.

msstate7
07-30-2021, 11:37 AM
Ozuna is the wild card in all of this. If he comes back then that gives you another big bat to complement Freddie and Riley. If you think you can get him back and still be in contention then I think you buy. If you don't believe you can then you cautiously buy or stand put unless someone blows you away with an offer.

I don't see any way he's back this season after starlin Castro got a 30-game suspension today

MetEdDawg
07-30-2021, 12:19 PM
Braves acquire Edward Rosario from the Indians for Pablo Sandoval and are finishing up a deal to bring back Adam Duvall for Alex Jackson.

That's a starting bat in Duvall and a solid spot start/bench bat in Rosario when he gets back in August from the injury. And you give up practically nothing to do it.

KOdawg1
07-30-2021, 12:22 PM
Rosario and Duvall aren't anything Earth shattering, but we gave up essentially nothing for them, so it's a win in my book. I hope we aren't done.

MetEdDawg
07-30-2021, 12:41 PM
Rosario and Duvall aren't anything Earth shattering, but we gave up essentially nothing for them, so it's a win in my book. I hope we aren't done.

Duvall is about to be the everyday left fielder and will be in the 5 hole the second he gets in the dugout. 22 homers, 68 RBI. Put him behind Riley and move Swanson down a spot. Get D'Arnaud back in the lineup in a week or two and that's pretty solid. Even though we don't have Acu?a, adding Duvall gives us more pop and I think he will hit a little better for average in Atlanta.

KOdawg1
07-30-2021, 04:02 PM
In the last few weeks, we added
Joc Pederson
Jorge Soler
Eddie Rosario
Adam Duvall
Richard Rodriquez

And the only prospect of note that we gave up was Bryce Wilson who is no one to cry over. I think AA did pretty good

MetEdDawg
08-04-2021, 09:17 PM
Soler has homered in 2 straight games and is 6-14 since joining the Braves.

Duvall has homered tonight

Rodriguez ha 3 appearances, 3 innings, and no runs allowed since the acquisition.

So far the trades have worked out in our favor. Soler has been really really good.

BrunswickDawg
08-05-2021, 09:13 AM
Soler has homered in 2 straight games and is 6-14 since joining the Braves.

Duvall has homered tonight

Rodriguez ha 3 appearances, 3 innings, and no runs allowed since the acquisition.

So far the trades have worked out in our favor. Soler has been really really good.

This is going to be an interesting stretch run. 54-54, 2.5 back of the Mets. But, the big thing that jumps out to me about the East race is Run Differential. The Braves are a +57 and are the only team in the East with +Runs. If the bullpen settles out, I think the Braves can make a run.

MetEdDawg
08-05-2021, 09:48 AM
This is going to be an interesting stretch run. 54-54, 2.5 back of the Mets. But, the big thing that jumps out to me about the East race is Run Differential. The Braves are a +57 and are the only team in the East with +Runs. If the bullpen settles out, I think the Braves can make a run.

Getting Ian Anderson back will help the bullpen some because you bring in a guy that usually goes 5-6 innings every time.

But the biggest one to me is D'Arnaud. I can't imagine there is a worse catching situation in Major League Baseball than what has transpired for us over the last four months. Smith and Vogt are so so bad at the plate. Pretty much automatic outs.

Then when he's healthy, you can throw Ynoa into the bullpen and let him get back in.

I like our chances. Our upcoming series are 3 vs Washington, 3 vs Cincinnati, 3 @Washington, 3 @Miami, 3 @ Baltimore. You've got to try and come out of that at 10-5 or 11-4. That stretch determines it in my opinion. We can't go 7-8 or 8-7 against some of the worst clubs in baseball.

shoeless joe
08-05-2021, 08:36 PM
Haven’t been able to watch the Braves this yr since swapping to internet tv. So tonite when I get on I notice they’re on espn. Decide to check em out since I have the chance…and they literally have two cardinals fans calling this game. Unbelievable…

msstate7
08-06-2021, 09:57 AM
Braves will be adding ynoa, Anderson, TDA, and Rosario soon. I think the braves are the favorite

Commercecomet24
08-06-2021, 10:12 AM
Braves will be adding ynoa, Anderson, TDA, and Rosario soon. I think the braves are the favorite

Getting Ynoa back will be huge(I believe they'll use him out of the pen and the pen could use another good arm, he can pinch hit too, lol). Andeson will defintely strengthen the rotation and it's super critical to get Darnaud back(catching has been minor league quality since he went down). Things looking good right now especially with the strength of schedule next few weeks, but they've got to get it done against these lesser teams. No more win one, lose one.

msstate7
08-23-2021, 06:45 AM

Still don't have Anderson and Rosario yet, but +5 in the division. This is a tough 2-week stretch though

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2021, 07:28 AM
Still don't have Anderson and Rosario yet, but +5 in the division. This is a tough 2-week stretch though

Good thing is, with a 5 game cushion AND the Phillies and Mets playing like crap, we don't have to win every game. And, I like having the Yankees and Giants at home. I think that will help.

msstate7
08-23-2021, 07:29 AM
Good thing is, with a 5 game cushion AND the Phillies and Mets playing like crap, we don't have to win every game. And, I like having the Yankees and Giants at home. I think that will help.

2 consecutive days off this week. Hope this is a good thing...

Commercecomet24
08-23-2021, 10:44 AM
I love how well the Braves are playing right now! That being said for all that is good and holy please, please, please stop using Will Smith to close! Don Stanhouse was a closer for the Orioles in the late 70s early 80s and Earl Weaver nicknamed him full pack because Stanhouse made him so nervous when he closed he smoked a full pack of cigarettes. Will Smith would be named "Full Carton"!

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2021, 10:47 AM
I love how well the Braves are playing right now! That being said for all that is good and holy please, please, please stop using Will Smith to close! Don Stanhouse was a closer for the Orioles in the late 70s early 80s and Earl Weaver nicknamed him full pack because Stanhouse made him so nervous when he closed he smoked a full pack of cigarettes. Will Smith would be named "Full Carton"!

The big mistake the Braves made this past offseason was not holding on to Melancon. He has been lights out for San Diego.

Commercecomet24
08-23-2021, 11:05 AM
The big mistake the Braves made this past offseason was not holding on to Melancon. He has been lights out for San Diego.

Amen to that and they could've had him at a decent price. Kopps from Arkansas reminds me a little of Melancon. I can hardly even watch when Smith enters a game. The defense has saved him several time during this road trip. All he throws is that crappy breaking ball and it hangs half the time. Rodriguez would be a much better choice to close games, IMO. He gets people and doesn't walk anyone!

msstate7
08-23-2021, 11:15 AM
MM is 34/39 (.87) in saves
WS is 28/32 (.88) in saves

MM is much better in era, and slightly better in FIP. WS is better in xERA. If you believe in advanced metrics, MM has been pretty fortunate, and WS is right in line with actual stats.

I woulda liked MM back though

Commercecomet24
08-23-2021, 11:23 AM
MM is 34/39 (.87) in saves
WS is 28/32 (.88) in saves

MM is much better in era, and slightly better in FIP. WS is better in xERA. If you believe in advanced metrics, MM has been pretty fortunate, and WS is right in line with actual stats.

I woulda liked MM back though

I look past the stats(and i like stats too).. Will Smith never has a clean inning, his defense has bailed him out repeatedly. Austin Riley alone has saved him twice on this road trip. I don't trust him one bit to close a game of importance.

MaroonFlounder
08-23-2021, 01:04 PM
Soroka's future starts tonight. His future is as a talking head. I don't see him being able to get back to the mound after 2 tears of that achilles. I hope I'm wrong.