PDA

View Full Version : Remaining unsigned from the Top 10 rounds

MetEdDawg
07-28-2021, 06:17 AM
Here's a tweet from Jim Callis showing who is remaining:

https://twitter.com/jimcallismlb/status/1420156515827294212?s=21

MacLeod is one of them. Vandy still has Rocker, Leiter, and Lawlar unsigned with 3 days left. I know we expect Leiter to sign and probably Rocker, but with the new info on Rocker's injury and Lawlar apparently wanting a big pay day, Vandy might find a way to get one back on campus.

Florida is also looking at possibly having a positive draft outcome.

TNDawg35
07-28-2021, 11:14 AM
I think Rocker signs and rumor is Leiter will sign.

Tbonewannabe
07-28-2021, 11:23 AM
I think Rocker signs and rumor is Leiter will sign.

I would think both sign. MLB is a little different than other sports in that you get paid very little in comparison to other pro sports for several years especially while you are in the minors. The object is to give yourself the best chance to make the Show (going 1st round out of high school or going to college). But once you actually make it, then you have to go through all the bullshit of arbitration and everything until you finally get a free agent deal. It is kind of like what Dak just went through, he had to pressure Dallas to get a deal that gives him a chance at another free agent deal.

jacksondawg
07-28-2021, 11:29 AM
Just saw where Leiter signed for $7.9

The Federalist Engineer
07-28-2021, 12:23 PM
Here's a tweet from Jim Callis showing who is remaining:

https://twitter.com/jimcallismlb/status/1420156515827294212?s=21

MacLeod is one of them. Vandy still has Rocker, Leiter, and Lawlar unsigned with 3 days left. I know we expect Leiter to sign and probably Rocker, but with the new info on Rocker's injury and Lawlar apparently wanting a big pay day, Vandy might find a way to get one back on campus.

Florida is also looking at possibly having a positive draft outcome.

Leiter --> Vandy
Lawler --> Vandy (signee)
Zavala --> Oregon
Rocker -- > Vandy
House --> Tennessee (signee)
Watson --> NC State (signee)
Fabian --> Florida (only 20 years old)
Hickey --> Florida (Sophomore Eligibility)

Maybe Leiter and Rocker do not sign? However, they probably go down in the draft on Age alone in 2022. Seems 22 year-olds are not top-10 picks usually.

I don't have great data on the age factor in top-10 picks. In a half-ass effort, I could not find the last 22 year old top-10 pitcher drafted. The college boys are mostly 21.

BiscuitEater
07-28-2021, 04:38 PM
Rocker, if he doesn't sign means he is injured and won't pitch for Vandy next year. Leiter, Rocker and Lawler are all #1 picks.

Don't think ANY MLB team wants to lose their #1 pick! Meanwhile, If the two pitchers go back to Vandy, they lose their JR class bargaining position. Lawler is good and has potential. he has to decide, money now or in 2-3 years.

BB30
07-29-2021, 01:05 PM
Out of curiosity, how would that play out? Say Kumar doesn't sign and decides he wants to come back to college(probably won't happen obviously) but has he not already signed an agent or does that not come into play anymore?

Tbonewannabe
07-29-2021, 01:12 PM
Out of curiosity, how would that play out? Say Kumar doesn't sign and decides he wants to come back to college(probably won't happen obviously) but has he not already signed an agent or does that not come into play anymore?

Can't sign with an agent but for whatever reason you can sign for a NIL deal. At least that is what I understand right now. It all seems in the grey area so who knows.

StarkVegasSteve
07-29-2021, 04:15 PM

Not necessarily. I imagine the agent is just in an "advisory" role until pen hits paper. Ginn was advised by Scott Boras out of HS but turned down the offer and came to school.