PDA

View Full Version : Could there be a SEC name change one day?

Dawg_Lover
07-26-2021, 05:52 PM
Why even call it the SEC if it is no longer comprised of only southeastern states. Don?t get me wrong, I am all in for the SEC, pure and simple. But nowhere, on any SE map, will you find Texas or Oklahoma.

Who can say once in and established UT will not start a campaign to change the conference name, while claiming the name itself excludes them. It seems I have read, on here, UT has a reputation for stirring up trouble.

Hambone
07-26-2021, 06:19 PM
BAMF gets my vote

dotcomdawg
07-26-2021, 07:36 PM
Why even call it the SEC if it is no longer comprised of only southeastern states. Don?t get me wrong, I am all in for the SEC, pure and simple. But nowhere, on any SE map, will you find Texas or Oklahoma.

Who can say once in and established UT will not start a campaign to change the conference name, while claiming the name itself excludes them. It seems I have read, on here, UT has a reputation for stirring up trouble.

It would be best if they could come up with a new name that still used the three initials "SEC"

Liverpooldawg
07-26-2021, 08:01 PM
All the schools currently in and proposed for the SEC come from states that had units in the Confederate Army. That makes them at least a little southern.

CaptainObvious
07-26-2021, 09:08 PM
All the schools currently in and proposed for the SEC come from states that had units in the Confederate Army. That makes them at least a little southern.

Well then. That settles it. Confederate States Football Conference. CSFC

Dawg_Lover
07-27-2021, 02:13 AM
Well then. That settles it. Confederate States Football Conference. CSFC

TSUN would like it. Yessiree, they would be snappin those red, rebel suspenders they?d be so happy. 😁

Dannyripms
07-27-2021, 03:04 AM
No you don't change the name. SEC is a brand and its noticeable. People relate SEC with great football and sports in general.

Coach34
07-27-2021, 03:57 AM
Of the SEC disbands- so does our paycheck. The last thing we need is the SEC being smart and loopholing us, Vandy, Kentucky, and Mississippi out of the SEC

Dawg_Lover
07-27-2021, 04:14 AM
No you don't change the name. SEC is a brand and its noticeable. People relate SEC with great football and sports in general.

I absolutely agree, but it would not surprise me to see UT, sometime in the distant future, push for a change to fit their agenda.

SPMT
07-27-2021, 05:25 AM
Texas needs the SEC more than the SEC needs TX.

RiverCityDawg
07-27-2021, 07:52 AM
It would be best if they could come up with a new name that still used the three initials "SEC"

Agree, Super Elite Conference

redstickdawg
07-27-2021, 08:13 AM
Of the SEC disbands- so does our paycheck. The last thing we need is the SEC being smart and loopholing us, Vandy, Kentucky, and Mississippi out of the SEC

Yes, we need to realize that we have much more vulnerability here than others. We are a very small market school with smaller fan base than others, these changes are not without major pitfalls and opportunities for schools with limited history - yet bigger TV footprint to move into our "reserved space". This possible expansion is great without question for the Bamas, LSU, UGA's, etc., the small guys need to be careful.

gtowndawg
07-27-2021, 09:28 AM
Yes, we need to realize that we have much more vulnerability here than others. We are a very small market school with smaller fan base than others, these changes are not without major pitfalls and opportunities for schools with limited history - yet bigger TV footprint to move into our "reserved space". This possible expansion is great without question for the Bamas, LSU, UGA's, etc., the small guys need to be careful.

This is why I've always been a fan of "bigger is better" from a student enrollment perspective. It not only grows the school and fanbase but the city of Starkville will continue to grow. All good things in my book.

And FYI, something I've seen over the years, when a student comes to State it's not just that kid that is the fan. I've seen parents, aunt's and uncle's, friends, etc become dedicated fans after that connection is made. Case in point, 25 years ago my wife was a nanny to 4 little girls in Memphis. The family moved here from Canada. I use to give the girls State things (pom poms, stuff like that, nothing special). They eventually moved back to Canada but one of those girls enrolled at State years later, graduated and now there's about 12 family members in Canada that are State fans. Point being, the more students the better in my book.

Lord McBuckethead
07-27-2021, 09:49 AM
Agree, Super Elite Conference

Southern Elite Conference, maybe.

MagicDawg
07-27-2021, 09:58 AM
Sufficiently Expanded Conference.