PDA

View Full Version : Super conferences form super league

CaptainObvious
07-26-2021, 05:45 PM
If that happens, Mississippi State University could be in good shape. Why?

Let?s say the new ?League? settles in at 60 to 72 programs. Let?s say the leaders decide to hold the yearly signings to 25 or maybe even only 20, and cut scholarships to 80, maybe 75. Fewer teams to divide up the best players means the Dawgs will get their share of the Top 600 players. But more importantly, the best 30 QBs, best 60 WRs, best 60 DEs and so on are going to want to play, not sit and wait their turn on 20 teams full of 4 and 5 stars at their position. A Premier League with 60 to 72 teams is going to be more balanced in football.

Maverick91
07-27-2021, 10:33 AM

Let?s say the new ?League? settles in at 60 to 72 programs. Let?s say the leaders decide to hold the yearly signings to 25 or maybe even only 20, and cut scholarships to 80, maybe 75. Fewer teams to divide up the best players means the Dawgs will get their share of the Top 600 players. But more importantly, the best 30 QBs, best 60 WRs, best 60 DEs and so on are going to want to play, not sit and wait their turn on 20 teams full of 4 and 5 stars at their position. A Premier League with 60 to 72 teams is going to be more balanced in football.

I like where your head is at, but, my one issue is these kids are already doing this. How many 5 stars are sitting on Bama, OSU, Clemson, Oklahoma's bench currently? To many to count.

JetRoh
07-27-2021, 01:44 PM
Is there any threat of the bigger schools dissolving the SEC and leaving people like us behind?

I know we can't get kicked out of the SEC, but how viable is "the SEC" forever?

Extendedcab
07-27-2021, 01:51 PM

Playing devils advocate here. If the NCAA could not do that with 120+ teams why in the world would a 60-70 program "superleague" do it? I see it as a mini or elite NCAA - still not equal for all schools.

Liverpooldawg
07-27-2021, 02:04 PM
There was one scenario discussed in an ESPN article this week where the end game might be the 20-30 biggest programs breaking away to form a Super League and not even playing outside the league.

Maroonthirteen
07-27-2021, 02:24 PM
There was one scenario discussed in an ESPN article this week where the end game might be the 20-30 biggest programs breaking away to form a Super League and not even playing outside the league.

Who knows wtf will happen but....

Seems the whole driver in this is money. Bottom line ... money.

If in a few years or decade, the sec is way ahead of the bigten in money and championships. OhioState may cry UNCLE and want a new super league with them included. However I can't see anyone in the sec wanting some new league. If the sec is dominant on the field and at the bank.

But again.... who knows anymore. A new super league could make all the decision makers a few more bucks and then they won't care who wins what championship.