PDA

View Full Version : We are NOT young. Pure BS excuse!

SPMT
11-14-2013, 11:53 PM
Seven sophomores and four freshmen on the starting 22. That is a young team. That beat LSU.

The other comparable teams to us, UK and Auburn, show four sophomores and three freshmen and six sophomores and one redshirt freshman respectively on the starting 22.

Versus UK the hailstate website show us starting four sophomores out of the starting 22, the rest were juniors and seniors.

Such a bunch of horseshit!

cheewgumm
11-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Toe the line.

thf24
11-15-2013, 12:13 AM
We may not be relatively young in terms of age, but we're young in terms of experience at a few key positions, which is almost as much of a disadvantage. Then there's the fact that we're playing a few juniors and seniors who need to be replaced by some younger guys.

Dawg61
11-15-2013, 12:17 AM
We are young at the skill positions

SPMT
11-15-2013, 12:31 AM
We may not be relatively young in terms of age, but we're young in terms of experience at a few key positions, which is almost as much of a disadvantage. Then there's the fact that we're playing a few juniors and seniors who need to be replaced by some younger guys.

That's fine, however, by definition Ole Miss, UK, Auburn are roughly just as inexperienced and younger. If they are younger they have had less opportunity to get the experience our juniors may or may not have. Our juniors may have two years experience just like the sophomores that Auburn, UK, and Ole Miss may or may not have.

And really, if we have juniors that are so inexperienced that they are not effective players then again we prove we have a huge coaching and coaching philosophy problem.

SignalToNoise
11-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Maybe inexperienced is a better way to put it.

I remember over the summer engie had this chart (imagine that, engie with a spreadsheet/chart/statistics) showing that our corners were in fact not young or even inexperienced, but had played some number of snaps. The implication was that they'd be good. As it turns out our secondary is a liability. Are they inexperienced or do they just plain suck? Y'all can decide.

Those guys might be Sophs and Jrs but some of are just now seeing lots of playing time. Getting to play during garbage time of an Alabama blowout loss doesn't prepare you to be a full time starter, so I don't think it's horseshit at all.

SPMT
11-15-2013, 12:39 AM

We list for for three WR: 2 jr, 1 so
TE: 1 Jr

Auburn

WR: 2 jr, 2 so
TE: 1 jr

UK

WR: jr JUCO, jr, fr
TE: sr

SPMT
11-15-2013, 01:05 AM
The corners play well other than cox who doesn't appear comfortable there. Safety play is the main liability. Regardless, every team is confronted with jr and sr leaving every year and we had less than the amount many others had, and the admin and coaches still use this excuse.

justwin
11-15-2013, 01:19 AM
Seven sophomores and four freshmen on the starting 22. That is a young team. That beat LSU.

The other comparable teams to us, UK and Auburn, show four sophomores and three freshmen and six sophomores and one redshirt freshman respectively on the starting 22.

Versus UK the hailstate website show us starting four sophomores out of the starting 22, the rest were juniors and seniors.

Speaking of "young", are both Quay and Nick James redshirting due to their "youthful" ways?

Todd4State
11-15-2013, 01:58 AM
Heck, I wish we were "younger" since the younger guys seem to be more productive than the upper classmen.

Our best two outside WR's IMO are freshmen- Bear and Brown. Our best RB's are Robinson and Shumpert- a sophomore and a freshman. Malone and Clayborn are solid looking o-linemen. Dak is a sophomore.

Our most talented D-linemen IMO are Chris Jones, Quay, and Nick James- all freshmen and a sophomore.

Our best LB is a sophomore- McKinney

Redmond is very talented and that is evident already.

The problem is- how many of those guys start or play a lot? Dak- and only because of injury to Tyler, Malone is hurt to be fair, Chris starts- but I'd like to see him more at DE where I think he would wreak havoc, McKinney, and Redmond. So, about half of our most talented guys.

Todd4State
11-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Speaking of "young", are both Quay and Nick James redshirting due to their "youthful" ways?

Quay isn't redshirting. Unless you can get a medical redshirt for not being forgetting to use a turn signal.

James is.

Coach 57
11-15-2013, 07:38 AM
The only REAL snaps Dak has had before this year are redzone, shortyardage/goalline packages. That doesn't help him between the 20's. We knew he was a great threat in those instances. But between the 20's against a base look defense is where he develop. Plus he missed most of this off season due to his surgery. Our biggest problem on defense is we have experience & age at the safety positions but Nikoe is a liability in both run & pass. I know he picked Manziel Saturday but most if the time he takes terrible angles of pursuit, he's hips are horrible in coverage & is slow to react and sometimes he just makes bonehead plays. Our deficiency at CB (being so young) is actually heightened with horrible safety play. Our LBs a lot of times look slow & don't "fill" gap assignments either. These are supposed to be positions of strength for us but they actually are very inconsistent positions. I told you guys last week the 30 defensive front was the way to defend Manziel with our personnel. And when we went to it we actually did a good job.

msstate7
11-15-2013, 08:03 AM
How many seniors do we have vs other sec teams?

ShotgunDawg
11-15-2013, 08:14 AM
Lets put this another way: We are young at the positions that keep us from winning.

Dak - Not many snaps before this year, and also didn't go through spring practice - 3 interceptions vs SC

Bell - Only a sophomore - inexperienced in punting and only a sophomore kicking

Cox - Not young, but inexperienced- Blows coverages when he goes outside of the scheme

Gives these 3 guys more experience, and give Wilson, Ross, Chris Jones, Holloway, Remond, Jiles, Coman, and Clayborne more experience and we our record would be very different.

TaxSetUs
11-15-2013, 08:20 AM
I totally agree. Using that excuse is just stupid.

HunterDawg
11-15-2013, 08:34 AM

What you are pointing out there is the weakness of some recruiting classes at certain positions. Coaches play the best players regardless of age. If we have juniors and seniors who are still inexperienced, there is probably a reason why they have not played much before. We had some classes with some holes in them. Those are working their way through the system now.

It happens to everybody. You can even have a highly ranked class, but if there are unmet needs, it will show up eventually. Also, when you have NFL quality db's, it is very hard to recuit new ones until the old ones have graduated. You could promise a guy early playing time, but then he sees he would have to put Banks on the bench he goes somewhere else. With the current madness of everyone wanting to start in Sept of their Freshman year, having great players actually hurts your recruiting. The big recruits demand to be promised 4 years of starts, beginning 4 months after they graduate from high school and we couldn't do that at some positions back then.

It will work through. It doesn't mean Dan wasn't trying to recruit db's, either.

Political Hack
11-15-2013, 08:46 AM
we only have 3 guys in the defensive two deep not coming back. we are young and inexperienced at a lot of spots IMO.

that doesn't mean other teams aren't younger and that doesn't mean we should use it as a crutch either. If we'd switch out 5-10 of Perk's carries each week to a younger less experienced JRob, we'd be better.

SPMT
11-15-2013, 08:51 AM
Either a weakness at certain positions or too many redshirted and not enough playing time when they were young.

If you have good players you're always going to have a young team in some area because some are leaving early.

I believe our players have plenty of experience except the true freshmen wr and cox. Dak hasn't hurt is in but one game, in fact he's helped us more than our senior qb had been.

HunterDawg
11-15-2013, 08:51 AM
we only have 3 guys in the defensive two deep not coming back. we are young and inexperienced at a lot of spots IMO.

that doesn't mean other teams aren't younger and that doesn't mean we should use it as a crutch either. If we'd switch out 5-10 of Perk's carries each week to a younger less experienced JRob, we'd be better.

Everyone keeps saying that but, you know, it is kind of a double edged sword. "Our db's aren't very good, but they will all be back playing again next year." This isn't, necessarily good news.

SPMT
11-15-2013, 08:53 AM

Not any younger than anyone else. Benchmark it against like competitors. It shouldn't be an excuse but that's what they are using it as.

msstate7
11-15-2013, 09:05 AM
Everyone keeps saying that but, you know, it is kind of a double edged sword. "Our db's aren't very good, but they will all be back playing again next year." This isn't, necessarily good news.

I think they're getting better. Sounds strange coming off giving up 49 points, but I believe it. Hughes and Arrington were huge blows to our secondary

Political Hack
11-15-2013, 09:10 AM
losing guys along the OL hurts our ability to run the ball and forces our guys to play more snaps too. A stronger OL next year, return of Hughes and Arrington, a more experienced CB field, allowing Cox to move spots, an experienced set of 2nd strong LBs, and jones being able to move around even more on the DL as he learns the offense is going to help A LOT IMO.

I don't know if it's as much as an excuse for this year as it is a projection for next year. That's how I'm viewing it at least.

maroonmania
11-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Let's just call a spade a spade. Its 2 issues really. First, the 2010 and 2011 just plain out didn't have enough SEC caliber players in it and were bad classes by SEC standards. That's why we have some younger players that are inexperienced that are more talented than older players at certain positions and stealing some of their playing time. Now the other issue is we tend to take lower rated players who have some raw talent and attempt to "develop" them. Well that just takes longer. OM and Auburn are young but they brought guys in that are 4 and 5 stars that can play at the college level immediately and contribute. Guys like Treadwell, RobertK, and the OT they took from GA (name escapes me) at OM don't have to be so "developed" to start contributing at a high level in college ball because they SHOW UP that way. Our "diamonds in the rough" aren't going to jump out of a 2A MS HS and be a dependable SEC player even if they do have some raw ability. A "developmental" program like ours can't be depending on FR and SO for the bulk of playing time but we are pretty much in that position because of recruiting failures back in 2010 and 2011.

Coach34
11-15-2013, 09:47 AM
We are a developmental program- so our guys arent ready to play early for the most part. It's not hard to figure out

Then add in all the injuries to the Secondary- plus Redmond being out.
Lost a starting guard one half into the season
Went to our back-up QB 1st game of the season

That's why we are where we are. We are a team thats getting better though- in spite of the injuries

smootness
11-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Heck, I wish we were "younger" since the younger guys seem to be more productive than the upper classmen.

This. I've said all along that it's not that we're young overall necessarily, it's that our best talent is young. We have upperclassmen, but they're mostly from the 2010 and 2011 classes, which weren't very good.

Jack Lambert
11-15-2013, 10:28 AM

I went back and read all 47 or your posts and I could only find one that was remotely positive and it wasn't even about Miss State.

maroonmania
11-15-2013, 11:07 AM
This. I've said all along that it's not that we're young overall necessarily, it's that our best talent is young. We have upperclassmen, but they're mostly from the 2010 and 2011 classes, which weren't very good.

Exactly my point. You can call yourself a "developmental program" but you still have to bring in guys with enough raw talent to eventually be a contributing player in this league. If a guy's ceiling is a good Sun Belt player then you can develop him until the cows come home but he will still be a liability on an SEC team.

Goat Holder
11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
You guys realize that SPMT is a rebel, right? At least he was on 6-pack.

HancockCountyDog
11-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Im assuming this is a joke. Rojo and Tubby are both in their 4th years here at MSU. Perkins is a 5th year senior. Malcolm Johnson is a Junior and has been on the field a ton.

smootness
11-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Im assuming this is a joke. Rojo and Tubby are both in their 4th years here at MSU. Perkins is a 5th year senior. Malcolm Johnson is a Junior and has been on the field a ton.

True. But once again, a lot of the experience either isn't a great fit or isn't as talented.

Jameon Lewis is a rsJR and is now finally able to be a legitimate threat. Robert Johnson was a decent talent coming in, and he hasn't really taken the next step. You're definitely right there; sort of the same with Malcolm Johnson, though he wasn't thought of as highly talented coming in.

Perkins is a rsSr and is certainly talented but isn't a good fit for what we want to do.

Our most talented WRs are De'Runnya Wilson and Fred Ross, both true freshmen. Our most talented RBs (who are a good fit for the offense) are Robinson, Griffin, and Shumpert...a rsSO, a rsJr who has never been healthy, and a true freshman.

So yes, we are young at the skill positions. There is not a football team in the world who will have 80% of their roster as freshmen and sophomores unless that coach was just absurdly bad at roster management. You will always have upperclassmen, juniors and seniors. We do, but the guys who are more talented and fit what we want to do more are younger.

msstate7
11-15-2013, 12:53 PM
True. But once again, a lot of the experience either isn't a great fit or isn't as talented.

Jameon Lewis is a rsJR and is now finally able to be a legitimate threat. Robert Johnson was a decent talent coming in, and he hasn't really taken the next step. You're definitely right there; sort of the same with Malcolm Johnson, though he wasn't thought of as highly talented coming in.

Perkins is a rsSr and is certainly talented but isn't a good fit for what we want to do.

Our most talented WRs are De'Runnya Wilson and Fred Ross, both true freshmen. Our most talented RBs (who are a good fit for the offense) are Robinson, Griffin, and Shumpert...a rsSO, a rsJr who has never been healthy, and a true freshman.

So yes, we are young at the skill positions. There is not a football team in the world who will have 80% of their roster as freshmen and sophomores unless that coach was just absurdly bad at roster management. You will always have upperclassmen, juniors and seniors. We do, but the guys who are more talented and fit what we want to do more are younger.

I think you should add fred brown with Fred Ross and Wilson. Really like brown. As much hell as morrow catches, I think he's progressing nicely also. The future at wr is bright

EAVdog
11-15-2013, 12:55 PM
Our best players are young.

HancockCountyDog
11-15-2013, 01:10 PM

All that means is that our recruiting from 2010-2011 has sucked; Personally, I don't think that is true. There is talent on this team, we simply aren't using it correctly at times. Having TR run a read option for a critical two point conversion was just a terrible play call.

We have talent on this team - its just not being utilized.

smootness
11-15-2013, 01:16 PM

And EAVdog sums my post up in 5 words. Haha, nice job.

SPMT
11-15-2013, 01:20 PM
You guys realize that SPMT is a rebel, right? At least he was on 6-pack.

What a dumbass.

I'm a realist in that when someone gives me a reason for an outcome I'm going to check it. Admin have told me we're young, we will be good and Mullen is here to stay.

Accept it if you want, I don't.

Todd4State
11-15-2013, 01:50 PM
Either a weakness at certain positions or too many redshirted and not enough playing time when they were young.

If you have good players you're always going to have a young team in some area because some are leaving early.

I believe our players have plenty of experience except the true freshmen wr and cox. Dak hasn't hurt is in but one game, in fact he's helped us more than our senior qb had been.

Actually, it's the opposite. We should have redshirted Bumphis, Chris Smith, Cam Lawrence, Banks, Boyd, and we also probably should have signed about 3 more o-linemen in that class. All of those guys would have been fifth year seniors and would have made a huge difference in our team this year.

PMDawg
11-15-2013, 02:57 PM
We are a developmental program- so our guys arent ready to play early for the most part. It's not hard to figure out

Then add in all the injuries to the Secondary- plus Redmond being out.
Lost a starting guard one half into the season
Went to our back-up QB 1st game of the season

That's why we are where we are. We are a team thats getting better though- in spite of the injuries

Bowling Green and Kentucky just spit their coffee out. "bbbbb bbbb but Texas A&M!!!" They have the worst defense in the South and it took us 2 quarters to figure out how to move the ball on them.

Jack Lambert
11-15-2013, 03:02 PM
What a dumbass.

I'm a realist in that when someone gives me a reason for an outcome I'm going to check it. Admin have told me we're young, we will be good and Mullen is here to stay.

Accept it if you want, I don't.

I also noticed that you do a lot of name calling and personal attacks.

EAVdog
11-15-2013, 03:10 PM
All that means is that our recruiting from 2010-2011 has sucked; Personally, I don't think that is true. There is talent on this team, we simply aren't using it correctly at times. Having TR run a read option for a critical two point conversion was just a terrible play call.

We have talent on this team - its just not being utilized.

2009 - 19th rated class
2010 - 29th rated class
2011 - 34th rated class
2012 - 22nd rated class
2013 - 25th rated class

(all rankings by 247 sports)

There is a pretty obvious dip in there right at 2010-11. The last 2 years have been much better. And while rankings might not always correlate to immediate success go look up the rankings of our opponent this weekend. We have a ton of 2014 and 2015 talent coming in town this weekend. If folks are going to Starkville they need to put a damn smile on their face a few extra Benjamin's in their pockets. And be like fight club.

SPMT
11-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Actually, it's the opposite. We should have redshirted Bumphis, Chris Smith, Cam Lawrence, Banks, Boyd, and we also probably should have signed about 3 more o-linemen in that class. All of those guys would have been fifth year seniors and would have made a huge difference in our team this year.

I disagree on the redshirting unless the players are not able to be developed quickly. If you have a player that can go pro as a freshman you don't redshirt.