PDA

View Full Version : Basketball observations for the 1st half

gravedigger
11-14-2013, 09:07 PM
We are playing hard, and hustling, but we are still very green. Sloppy with the basketball on fast breaks.

Overall we are improving. What this team needs most is a moultrie like scoring threat that draws attention in the post. That gives so many more open looks on the outside.

Ray is doing a good job so far.

Borchert and Thomas are shooting well

Free throws are a problem.

The opponent kennesaw is below average and thankfully doesn't have a dominant center.

They have a very good point guard.

Borchert hits a three to start 2 nod half and sword dunks to give state a 40-31 lead with 18:41 to go in the game.

gravedigger
11-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Winning 61-47 with 7:55 to go.

Borchert has 15
Thomas has 13
Sword Has 11

smootness
11-14-2013, 09:46 PM
We are still very, very rough around the edges, but I like the style we play with...very aggressive, coming at you all game long; it doesn't ever stop.

The two things we really lack are size and one or two true scorers. We just don't have anybody we can get it to when we have to have a basket.

I think Ware and Thomas can still turn into that, though. Thomas has the potential to be a great all-around player.

CadaverDawg
11-14-2013, 09:48 PM
We are still very, very rough around the edges, but I like the style we play with...very aggressive, coming at you all game long; it doesn't ever stop.

The two things we really lack are size and one or two true scorers. We just don't have anybody we can get it to when we have to have a basket.

I think Ware and Thomas can still turn into that, though. Thomas has the potential to be a great all-around player.

I think we'll miss Steele this year. He wasn't a big time scorer, but he could drain an open 3.....we are missing a LOT of wide open shots in these first few games. Sometimes I feel like Borchert is our best perimeter shooter! and that's scary. But hopefully the shooting will come around. I like the effort, just need to clean it up a bit. We have a lot of guys that hustle and give it everything they have while on the court. I'll never have a problem with that.

Dawg61
11-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Looks like Roq Johnson is having a good game

hailmari
11-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Borchert can get hot and look amazing, then slump off the next night. We badly need him and Thomas to be consistent with the J.

maroonmania
11-14-2013, 10:30 PM
I think we'll miss Steele this year. He wasn't a big time scorer, but he could drain an open 3.....we are missing a LOT of wide open shots in these first few games. Sometimes I feel like Borchert is our best perimeter shooter! and that's scary. But hopefully the shooting will come around. I like the effort, just need to clean it up a bit. We have a lot of guys that hustle and give it everything they have while on the court. I'll never have a problem with that.

Well, per the story circulating, Steele was only staying IF he was allowed to redshirt this year. So sounds like we weren't going to have him this year either way.

smootness
11-14-2013, 10:39 PM
We have a lot of guys that hustle and give it everything they have while on the court. I'll never have a problem with that.

Here here.

whosyourdawgy
11-14-2013, 10:43 PM
That is correct sir. Steele wanted to redshirt and Ray did what was best for MSU by letting him go and keeping that scholly slot open for a new recruit.

Schultzy
11-14-2013, 10:54 PM
Looks like Roq Johnson is having a good game

He gets the most out of his ability and drew some fouls too. Made a shot from just inside the three point line.

I thought Kennesaw was long and had some good players. Gavin Ware is well put together and uses his body well.

The new emphasis on hand checking is going to be good for the game......I think. You can tell the players are still getting used to it.

smootness
11-15-2013, 10:02 AM
I think Gavin Ware can be a great scoring option down low by the time he's finished at State. I really like the fact that he slimmed down some, he definitely seems more athletic this year. And Thomas has clearly bulked up some but is still just a great athlete. His defense is phenomenal.

Ray is already proving he can develop players; just need to increase the overall talent level.