PDA

View Full Version : Texas, Oklahoma; April fool's?

TheLostDawg
07-21-2021, 03:12 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008313-texas-oklahoma-reportedly-reach-out-to-sec-with-interest-in-joining-conference

StarkVegasSteve
07-21-2021, 03:13 PM
Would Texas be willing to give up the Longhorn Network to join? Also it doesn't sound like A&M would be for this just judging by Bdork's comments.

AROB44
07-21-2021, 03:45 PM
Well....it SURE wouldn't be good for us!!

TUSK
07-21-2021, 04:14 PM
Texas, Oklahoma, & the Big12, would all be "done", IMO...

gtowndawg
07-21-2021, 04:22 PM
Doesn't pass the smell test to me

msudawglb
07-21-2021, 04:37 PM
I'm assuming they would join the West and Bama and Auburn would move to the East? We might move to the East to even it out. Or we would just have one Division with 16 teams and play 15 games in a regular season.

redstickdawg
07-21-2021, 04:46 PM
DO NOT WANT UT at all!!! They would attempt to run everything to only their benefit and consider everyone else as peons. This would be a disaster, they are the reason that the Big 12 is failing and a large part of the reason that the SWC failed. TOO much EGO, think Bama steroid overdose.

Quaoarsking
07-21-2021, 04:48 PM
Geographically they would probably put them in the West, move Missouri to the West, and Alabama and Auburn to the East.

There would then be no pressing need for permanent opponents, so we'd probably have a 7/2 rotational model.

Or we could just have 3 permanent and 6 rotating opponents in 1 table

GeoDawg
07-21-2021, 04:49 PM
If you add Oklahoma and Texas to the west and take Alabama and Auburn out, you would still only have 7 teams in the west. To balance, I could see Missouri switching to the west in your scenario.

Or the SEC could go to four 4 team divisions. I think that has been discussed before.

Offshore Dawg
07-21-2021, 05:03 PM
MHO is Texas will not give up the longhorn tv deal, period.

TheLostDawg
07-21-2021, 05:15 PM
I'm assuming they would join the West and Bama and Auburn would move to the East? We might move to the East to even it out. Or we would just have one Division with 16 teams and play 15 games in a regular season.

The current SEC format ends in 2026.

TheLostDawg
07-21-2021, 05:18 PM
If you add Oklahoma and Texas to the west and take Alabama and Auburn out, you would still only have 7 teams in the west. To balance, I could see Missouri switching to the west in your scenario.

Or the SEC could go to four 4 team divisions. I think that has been discussed before.

Wish we could take Oklahoma and NC State. Taking Texas would keep TAMU at Bay though.

parabrave
07-21-2021, 05:19 PM
No way they would come to the SEC where they would be losing 2 - 3 games a year.

OLJWales
07-21-2021, 05:26 PM
Based on what I'm seeing, I think TX and OK have indeed reached out and are talking to us.

MedDawg
07-21-2021, 05:35 PM
I'm all for adding the University of Texas at Arlington and the University of Central Oklahoma to the SEC West.

I want the SEC West easier, not harder.

Cowbell
07-21-2021, 05:41 PM
Two of the worst fan bases in all of sports - this would ruin it for me

I have to put up with these people on the daily and could not stand to hear about them in our conference

SteelCurtain74
07-21-2021, 05:45 PM
If Texas joins,can our players do horns down or will the SEC cave like the Big 12 and make that illegal?

FISHDAWG
07-21-2021, 05:48 PM
Never gonna happen... Oklahoma state Legislature would never sign off on it ... it state law there that U of Oklahoma and Okie State MUST play in the same conference

OLJWales
07-21-2021, 05:50 PM
Two of the worst fan bases in all of sports - this would ruin it for me

I have to put up with these people on the daily and coull=d not stand to hear about them in our conference

your opinion has iron. Lived in Fort Worth 16 years and TX & OK fans are obnoxious and delusional for the most part. Living here has always had me pulling agin both. I'm sure the money trail will lead us to what eventually happens.

Cowbell
07-21-2021, 06:00 PM
your opinion has iron. Lived in Fort Worth 16 years and TX & OK fans are obnoxious and delusional for the most part. Living here has always had me pulling agin both. I'm sure the money trail will lead us to what eventually happens.

You know exactly what I'm talking about - they both think they are Gods gift to college sports. These are the biggest SEC hating schools.

OLJWales
07-21-2021, 06:05 PM
You know exactly what I'm talking about - they both think they are Gods gift to college sports. These are the biggest SEC hating schools.

Yep, and it appears TX leaked it right before Jimbo took the podium. Wouldn't surprise me as they have always been like Ole Miss overdosed on steroids IMO. Meanwhile , looks like A&M's beast is breaking out of the cage.

MetEdDawg
07-21-2021, 08:52 PM
Bringing in two college football blue bloods to the same division as us would be a disaster for us.

There is zero good for our program if this happens. Lots of folks will be like hey great more money for us. Well who cares about that when all the folks around us who already have more money than us also get more money.

I think this would effectively end any reasonable chance we would have at every hoping to be competitive in the division for football.

Homedawg
07-21-2021, 08:56 PM
At this point, them coming does little for them and little for the league. Tv market isn't branched much. Viewers, yes, market no. And they have a way easier path in the league they are in or other leagues. They missed shot before A&M joined IMO. We shall see. Plus Texas is greedy as hell

The Federalist Engineer
07-21-2021, 10:37 PM
They are just trying to flex for leverage on the other B12 schools to be even harsher slum lords - via fake news Hoax

If the SEC added Duke and UNC, that's cool

Quaoarsking
07-21-2021, 11:10 PM
Bringing in two college football blue bloods to the same division as us would be a disaster for us.

There is zero good for our program if this happens. Lots of folks will be like hey great more money for us. Well who cares about that when all the folks around us who already have more money than us also get more money.

I think this would effectively end any reasonable chance we would have at every hoping to be competitive in the division for football.

If we stop playing Alabama and Auburn every year and start playing Texas and Oklahoma every year instead, that's probably an increase to our total win count over the next decade.

MetEdDawg
07-22-2021, 05:38 AM
If we stop playing Alabama and Auburn every year and start playing Texas and Oklahoma every year instead, that's probably an increase to our total win count over the next decade.

How many more wins do you think? Because over the next decade we will go winless against Oklahoma. And I don't see us hanging around 50% against Texas like we have against Auburn.

And once you bring those two in, that allows them into our geographical recruiting area. And given what we would do from a division standpoint, we very well could end up playing Bama and/or Auburn in a year if we went to 9 conference games which is what probably happens.

It would be a disaster.

PGHBulldogBG
07-22-2021, 07:01 AM
Texas, TTU, OU and Ok state would be a better fit for the PAC12 and then the SEC could add WVU and Kansas State. Those football fanbases and schools would be good fits in the SEC. Then the big 10 can add Iowa State and Kansas. Maybe put Baylor and TCU in the ACC? Not sure where to place them.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2021, 07:37 AM

With 16 teams, they won't have divisions. The only feasible way to build a schedule will be a "pod" system where you have 3 permanent opponents, then rotate thru the rest of the conference via your other 5 games.
Pod 1 - Mizzou, Oklahoma, Texas, A&M; Pod 2: LSU, OM, MSU, Arky; Pod 3: Auburn, Alabama, UT, Vandy; Pod 4: UGa, UF, USC, UK

OLJWales
07-22-2021, 08:41 AM
Texas, TTU, OU and Ok state would be a better fit for the PAC12 and then the SEC could add WVU and Kansas State. Those football fanbases and schools would be good fits in the SEC. Then the big 10 can add Iowa State and Kansas. Maybe put Baylor and TCU in the ACC? Not sure where to place them.

You would be down with Kstate and WVa? Are you high ?

TrapGame
07-22-2021, 10:41 AM
There are bad ideas and then there's this. I hope this is a bunch of nothing.

redstickdawg
07-22-2021, 12:33 PM
There are bad ideas and then there's this. I hope this is a bunch of nothing.

I agree there is little upside for MSU with UT and OU in the conference, the parties that would benefit the most would be UT and OU and not the SEC members. That's the reason that this is idea originates in Austin and not in SEC territory.

OLJWales
07-22-2021, 12:36 PM
I agree there is little upside for MSU with UT and OU in the conference, the parties that would benefit the most would be UT and OU and not the SEC members. That's the reason that this is idea originates in Austin and not in SEC territory.

you could be on to something. SECN mentioned TX leaked it right before A&M coach hit the podium.

TheLostDawg
07-22-2021, 01:16 PM
With 16 teams, they won't have divisions. The only feasible way to build a schedule will be a "pod" system where you have 3 permanent opponents, then rotate thru the rest of the conference via your other 5 games.
Pod 1 - Mizzou, Oklahoma, Texas, A&M; Pod 2: LSU, OM, MSU, Arky; Pod 3: Auburn, Alabama, UT, Vandy; Pod 4: UGa, UF, USC, UK

SEC network had us with OM, TAMU, and LSU

TheLostDawg
07-22-2021, 01:20 PM
SEC network had us with OM, TAMU, and LSU

If they did this would be interesting to have TAMU, Texas, OU, and Ark in same bracket.

Certainly wish we would keep ark if so. Doubt this happens but if so..I like your idea better than theirs

TheLostDawg
07-22-2021, 02:44 PM
Yeah OU and Texas would probably make us regret taking them as they'd like to be pampered and not have things be "fair".

broadcast contracts can almost certainly be considered the driving forces. Oklahoma's contract with Fox/Bally Sports expires in July 2022, and ESPN's Longhorn Network has never been particularly lucrative. A significant development therein came back in March, when the Sooners' long-anticipated nonconference matchup with former Big Eight rival Nebraska was scheduled for an 11 a.m. kickoff. Castiglione chastised his program's television partners for the undesirable time slot, saying that he and the university were "bitterly disappointed" that the renewal of the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry did not receive a prime-time nod. 11 a.m. kickoffs have been a recurrent thorn in the Sooners' side in recent years, as both fans and university personnel have decried OU's regular slew of morning kicks each season. Even Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby acknowledged that "11 a.m. is an inconvenience for some fans," but reiterated that "we all signed the TV contract. We're going to live by the stipulations of our television agreements

TrapGame
07-22-2021, 02:50 PM
Texas and Alabama in the same conference?

What kind of fresh hell would that be?!

Can't y'all see Bama being conveniently moved to the East while Texas stays in the West? The East side brethren would all stroke out over that. And A&M would get to play Texas again.

I thought the NIL was going to shit on us pretty bad but this would be even worse.

StarkVegasSteve
07-22-2021, 02:51 PM
Yeah OU and Texas would probably make us regret taking them as they'd like to be pampered and not have things be "fair".

broadcast contracts can almost certainly be considered the driving forces. Oklahoma's contract with Fox/Bally Sports expires in July 2022, and ESPN's Longhorn Network has never been particularly lucrative. A significant development therein came back in March, when the Sooners' long-anticipated nonconference matchup with former Big Eight rival Nebraska was scheduled for an 11 a.m. kickoff. Castiglione chastised his program's television partners for the undesirable time slot, saying that he and the university were "bitterly disappointed" that the renewal of the Oklahoma-Nebraska rivalry did not receive a prime-time nod. 11 a.m. kickoffs have been a recurrent thorn in the Sooners' side in recent years, as both fans and university personnel have decried OU's regular slew of morning kicks each season. Even Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby acknowledged that "11 a.m. is an inconvenience for some fans," but reiterated that "we all signed the TV contract. We're going to live by the stipulations of our television agreements

They literally play the Red River Rivalry every year at 11 AM. Which they think is bigger than the national championship, which I guess to them it is since they never make the national championship.

BulldogBear
07-22-2021, 03:51 PM
17 both of them. If we expand, should be VPI & NCSU. If one declines, then WVU. Move Mizzou to the West or go the 4x4 option. I've rhough of that for years. It can be quite balanced.

BulldogBear
07-22-2021, 03:55 PM
VPI, Tenn, Ky, Vandy

Bama, Auburn, MSU, TSUN

Fla, UGa, SC, NCSU

LSU, TAMU, UPig, Mizzou

North is weaker than the others, but you might switch Vandy and NCSU.

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2021, 04:12 PM

It would continue to raise the overall national profile of the school. I think it would offer MSU a better chance at recruiting nationally. Especially with the transfer portal.

It would also bring in better games & bigger atmosphere to Starkville, which will only help Starkville grow & eventually into a destination college town.

We should also just be thankful that we are a part of this rather than being left out

Quaoarsking
07-22-2021, 04:23 PM
How many more wins do you think? Because over the next decade we will go winless against Oklahoma. And I don't see us hanging around 50% against Texas like we have against Auburn.

And once you bring those two in, that allows them into our geographical recruiting area. And given what we would do from a division standpoint, we very well could end up playing Bama and/or Auburn in a year if we went to 9 conference games which is what probably happens.

It would be a disaster.

Oklahoma loses a game or 2 to a team like us every year, and they'll probably do it more when they're getting beat up in the SEC every week. Texas is a soft program that we probably would have gone 6-4 or 7-3 against this past decade. And both of them run defenses that Leach will torch.

I think our expected win count over the next decade is something like:
Alabama - 0.5
Auburn - 4
Oklahoma - 3
Texas - 5

Dawgology
07-22-2021, 05:24 PM
You all are looking at this wrong. There is a major move right now to create a 16 team power conferences with the NCAA talking about autonomy for conferences. We want to be in on this or we will be left out completely and it won't be good for our athletic program. Winning the NC in baseball this year was HUGE.

OLJWales
07-22-2021, 05:31 PM
Im thinking maybe on OK but no on TX. Would like OK and NC State. I don't think any ACC hoops power houses are gonna bolt. I like VA too.

Dawgology
07-22-2021, 05:37 PM
I'm not pumped about Texas but Oklahoma and Virginia Tech would be cool.

OLJWales
07-22-2021, 05:40 PM
I'm not pumped about Texas but Oklahoma and Virginia Tech would be cool.

Good option. 17 UT.

TheLostDawg
07-22-2021, 07:44 PM
Only thing with taking Texas is Texas and TAMU will have to battle each other for recruits which will keep TAMU at bay. TAMU is possibly on the path to becoming dominant. On the other hand might make it harder for us to get Texas recruits but I don't think we're getting anyone now from there that we wouldn't get off Texas comes over. Could be wrong especially if Texas thumps us which I don't think will be the case now but could be when they start paying for top players

WSOPdawg
07-22-2021, 08:33 PM
You all are looking at this wrong. There is a major move right now to create a 16 team power conferences with the NCAA talking about autonomy for conferences. We want to be in on this or we will be left out completely and it won't be good for our athletic program. Winning the NC in baseball this year was HUGE.

^^^^^ This right here. With the NCAA becoming more irrelevant with each passing week, it's only a matter of time until either the Pac12 or Big10 strike for Texas, Notre Dame or Oklahoma (these are the 3 big fish prime to bolt to another conference). 2nd place in this race will be a big loser. With none of UT, OU or SEC commish "denying", this has to be a pre-emptive move by the SEC and one that will place the Big10 at a decisive disadvantage.

TheLostDawg
07-23-2021, 06:57 PM
^^^^^ This right here. With the NCAA becoming more irrelevant with each passing week, it's only a matter of time until either the Pac12 or Big10 strike for Texas, Notre Dame or Oklahoma (these are the 3 big fish prime to bolt to another conference). 2nd place in this race will be a big loser. With none of UT, OU or SEC commish "denying", this has to be a pre-emptive move by the SEC and one that will place the Big10 at a decisive disadvantage.

It'll probably give us one more loss in football a year but the question is how much more money will it bring in for us (and will it even give us one more loss if they replace Alabama in the conference). Also add in how much more money it would bring if we had four divisions and SEC championship had two games (though that would be more wear on the players but it's all about money now anyway, isn't it?) Will it help us get further ahead of schools in other conferences? We have the coaches to recruit nationally now.
Not sure but just something to think about

smootness
07-23-2021, 08:13 PM

The SEC isn't going anywhere, and they're not kicking anyone out. We're in no danger regardless.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-23-2021, 08:32 PM
Which would you rather do: Go 10-2 in the Sun Belt, be the 40th best team in the country overall and never play a nationally relevant game, OR be 7-5 overall, the #23rd best team in the nation, with 3-4 games a year that are nationally relevant? Oh yeah, did I mention option 1 also means we make less money, so every other sport would also be worse than under option 2?

I want to be good. I want to be respectable. I want to play real teams and have a chance to claim some fame. Yeah LSu last year was false hope, but because we beat a real program we got real attention. Break the Sun Belt passing record and nobody notices.

OU and Texas joining means we get to upgrade our facilities, upgrade our recruiting, increase our coaching budget, and have a better shot at a Natty in every single sport. "But to win the SEC in baseball now we have to beat Texas too!"... so the F what? We'd have to beat them in Omaha whether they're in the SEC or not, may as well play them in the regular season first too. One more elite team to gain experience on before the games actually matter.

I will not sacrifice actually being good for a slightly better overall W-L record. End of rant

Dawgology
07-23-2021, 08:59 PM
The SEC isn't going anywhere, and they're not kicking anyone out. We're in no danger regardless.

That?s exactly what the BIG-12 was thinking about 3 days ago. And then it all changed.

smootness
07-23-2021, 09:02 PM
That?s exactly what the BIG-12 was thinking about 3 days ago. And then it all changed.

The SEC isn't anywhere close to the Big 12 in this.

TheLostDawg
07-24-2021, 12:06 PM
Which would you rather do: Go 10-2 in the Sun Belt, be the 40th best team in the country overall and never play a nationally relevant game, OR be 7-5 overall, the #23rd best team in the nation, with 3-4 games a year that are nationally relevant? Oh yeah, did I mention option 1 also means we make less money, so every other sport would also be worse than under option 2?

I want to be good. I want to be respectable. I want to play real teams and have a chance to claim some fame. Yeah LSu last year was false hope, but because we beat a real program we got real attention. Break the Sun Belt passing record and nobody notices.

OU and Texas joining means we get to upgrade our facilities, upgrade our recruiting, increase our coaching budget, and have a better shot at a Natty in every single sport. "But to win the SEC in baseball now we have to beat Texas too!"... so the F what? We'd have to beat them in Omaha whether they're in the SEC or not, may as well play them in the regular season first too. One more elite team to gain experience on before the games actually matter.

I will not sacrifice actually being good for a slightly better overall W-L record. End of rant

This

TheLostDawg
07-24-2021, 07:04 PM
Saw an Arkansas write post how it's really going to affect them with recruiting since they got Texas hard. It could keep us ahead of them.

Also saw big 12 trying to keep them and pay OU and Texas more. Looks like they are sitting pretty either way.

R2Dawg
07-24-2021, 07:14 PM

Agree, but they would be chanting SEC in a few years.

R2Dawg
07-24-2021, 07:17 PM
Oklahoma loses a game or 2 to a team like us every year, and they'll probably do it more when they're getting beat up in the SEC every week. Texas is a soft program that we probably would have gone 6-4 or 7-3 against this past decade. And both of them run defenses that Leach will torch.

I think our expected win count over the next decade is something like:
Alabama - 0.5
Auburn - 4
Oklahoma - 3
Texas - 5

Tend to agree but not sure how we get .5 wins against Bama in 10 years?

WPS
07-25-2021, 12:23 AM
Saw an Arkansas write post how it's really going to affect them with recruiting since they got Texas hard. It could keep us ahead of them.

Also saw big 12 trying to keep them and pay OU and Texas more. Looks like they are sitting pretty either way.

All depends on what happens with TCU, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor. Potential there for Arkansas to get some recruits that are going there now depending on the fallout of the Big 12. There are only like 2 players on the current roster who legit picked Arkansas over Texas, Hogs weren?t winning many recruiting battles against them or OU even before this.