PDA

View Full Version : Football is over for us and schools like us

Coach34
07-20-2021, 12:26 PM
The NIL deals have all but assured that. It will only entrench the blue bloods in the top 5 even deeper.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/07/20/bryce-young-reached-nearly-seven-figures-nil-nick-saban/

Irondawg
07-20-2021, 12:33 PM
I agree although a think a few schools that have always been buried but have some big alumni bases may try to ante up and get into this.

As all the NILs become public and people see what these guys are getting paid and especially what they are getting paid for ($10K exclusive interviews for example) the masses are going to wake up to what a farce it is. Then it's going to be interesting to see what schools do in response. I have no idea how it's going to shake out. Maybe it will be status quo but just different, but there is no way anyone with a straight face can believe it's not a recruiting tool.

So what does that mean for non Top 10 programs. Does the going rate for a upper 3 star double or triple or does it stay about where it is? At a certain point I don't know that boosters want to spend all their cash to chase a 8-4 season.

Between this and the transfer portal craziness I think the majority of the schools are going to seek some way to bring things into a balance. I'm very curious to see how that plays out though.

Tbonewannabe
07-20-2021, 01:01 PM
I agree although a think a few schools that have always been buried but have some big alumni bases may try to ante up and get into this.

As all the NILs become public and people see what these guys are getting paid and especially what they are getting paid for ($10K exclusive interviews for example) the masses are going to wake up to what a farce it is. Then it's going to be interesting to see what schools do in response. I have no idea how it's going to shake out. Maybe it will be status quo but just different, but there is no way anyone with a straight face can believe it's not a recruiting tool.

So what does that mean for non Top 10 programs. Does the going rate for a upper 3 star double or triple or does it stay about where it is? At a certain point I don't know that boosters want to spend all their cash to chase a 8-4 season.

Between this and the transfer portal craziness I think the majority of the schools are going to seek some way to bring things into a balance. I'm very curious to see how that plays out though.

This along with the transfer portal is going to kill any chance of us really competing for the SEC title. What happens if you develop someone like Dak and Bama offers $1 or 2 Mil to transfer for their senior year? If poor ole MSU is just getting you a $100k, most people are taking the extra $$$.

Coach34
07-20-2021, 01:04 PM
This along with the transfer portal is going to kill any chance of us really competing for the SEC title. What happens if you develop someone like Dak and Bama offers $1 or 2 Mil to transfer for their senior year? If poor ole MSU is just getting you a $100k, most people are taking the extra $$$.

It’s going to be just as bad in basketball as well. It will take longer for it to get to baseball- but that sport is where we are the Blue Blood and can do it to other schools moving forward.

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-20-2021, 01:09 PM
Agree coach. We could have the advantage in baseball. Not so in the others

msugolf
07-20-2021, 01:11 PM
At first thought you would think so. But it also could be a big problem down the line for those blue bloods. The worst thing that can happen to someone (especially young kids) is to get some money and get comfortable. If you take away that motivation or desire to succeed at the next level then they'll become complacent. Meanwhile the guys that didn't get as much and are still out to prove themselves will continue to work. Also, handing over a bunch of money to people who aren't mature enough to handle it can cause all sorts of ego and attitude problems. Maybe potential locker room issues.

So I can see both sides of it coming into play.

However, I lean to it hurting us more than helping. But my interest in cfball has dwindled mightily past few years so might as well put the nail in the coffin. Eventually people will tire of seeing the same 4-5 teams at the top and ratings will decline

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2021, 01:20 PM
It's going to force schools to go all in in one sport. Not many, if any, schools can afford to pay what it's going to take to get and keep elite athletes in multiple sports. They'll hang their hat on one or two sports and the rest will be hung out to dry.

ScottH
07-20-2021, 01:20 PM
Podcast I listened to yesterday said within a couple of years high school kids will be getting their own NIL type deals.

That is officially Pandora's Box.

Offshore Dawg
07-20-2021, 01:27 PM

Competing, shit where have you been. We get a 3* bama gets a 5*, If we had a 4* committed they will leave at the next better offer. State has to learn their place and only go after 3*'s. Committed doesn't mean jack shit anymore. State has been in the SEC to provide wins for the big boys, and for that state gets a check. No more No less. Sorry about the rant but I am pissed at the democrats and all they get away with, kind of like the scummy rebel bears. *************

Dawg_Lover
07-20-2021, 01:41 PM
Competing, shit where have you been. We get a 3* bama gets a 5*, If we had a 4* committed they will leave at the next better offer. State has to learn their place and only go after 3*'s. Committed doesn't mean jack shit anymore. State has been in the SEC to provide wins for the big boys, and for that state gets a check. No more No less. Sorry about the rant but I am pissed at the democrats and all they get away with, kind of like the scummy rebel bears. *************

Yep, kinda like David & Goliath, only David?s slingshot was taken away.

MadDawg
07-20-2021, 01:54 PM
The worst thing that can happen to someone (especially young kids) is to get some money and get comfortable. If you take away that motivation or desire to succeed at the next level then they'll become complacent.

There's no doubt this will hurt the quality of college footb...uh all college sports. Kids getting paid 6 figures to play for a temporary team until they start their real career? Yeah, why try that hard? Why play every game? You've already got paid. Opt outs will become even more common. Is the value of your NIL due to your sports prowess? Or your twitter following or youtube subscribers? What will increase your following? Playing sports? Or maybe being funny. Maybe it's being controversial. Maybe it's based on your looks.

The actual playing of the sport has been relegated to about 4 or 5 on the priority list. Maybe lower.

TheLostDawg
07-20-2021, 01:56 PM

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008219-alabama-qb-bryce-young-has-earned-close-to-7-figures-in-nil-deals-nick-saban-says

1-2 mil? Think again

TheLostDawg
07-20-2021, 01:58 PM
And they are just getting started.

MadDawg
07-20-2021, 01:58 PM
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10008219-alabama-qb-bryce-young-has-earned-close-to-7-figures-in-nil-deals-nick-saban-says

1-2 mil? Think again

Nearly 1 million for a kid who has never played a single down of college football. What would the going rate for a 4th year senior in the transfer portal? 2 million? 3 million?

Who will be the first college player to make more than Saban?

TheLostDawg
07-20-2021, 01:59 PM
They'll get who ever they want no matter the price.

Homedawg
07-20-2021, 01:59 PM
The NIL deals have all but assured that. It will only entrench the blue bloods in the top 5 even deeper.

https://tdalabamamag.com/2021/07/20/bryce-young-reached-nearly-seven-figures-nil-nick-saban/

Yep... those clamoring for it, thinking it would help us we're just naive or ignorant. Not sure which.

TheLostDawg
07-20-2021, 02:00 PM
Nearly 1 million for a kid who has never played a single down of college football. What would the going rate for a 4th year senior in the transfer portal? 2 million? 3 million?

Who will be the first college player to make more than Saban?

Not sure but UCF is about to become very competitive. Mark it down.

Maverick91
07-20-2021, 02:01 PM
Will this allow us to not use tax payer dollars to fund their scholarships? Or are they just going to get to double dip?

Johnson85
It?s going to be just as bad in basketball as well. It will take longer for it to get to baseball- but that sport is where we are the Blue Blood and can do it to other schools moving forward.

I'm not sure how true that is over time. In the short term, we are a blue blood in baseball. But it really only takes one committed wealthy donor to move the needle. How many schools in Texas have a few wealthy donors that might decide they want their alma mater to be a powerhouse in baseball. As you saw with us and women's basketball, if you are successful in a sport, your fan base will usually start to care. I don't see us falling off the map in baseball or anything, but we could see a lot of schools pass us by just because they have a larger alumni base and have a few wealthy donors interested enough to get them moving in the right direction.

TheLostDawg
Mississippi better do away with their State taxes to help

confucius say
07-20-2021, 02:02 PM
I'm close to being done with college football anyway. Wish we could just skip to baseball

TheLostDawg
07-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Will this allow us to not use tax payer dollars to fund their scholarships? Or are they just going to get to double dip?

Could do it like Magnum and list them as walk on and give other players scholarships

AlSwearengen
07-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Yeah. Anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together could see this 10 miles away.

College football especially will turn into the most unmanageable shit show surpassed only by the US government.

confucius say
07-20-2021, 02:08 PM
Once the ratings continue to plummet even further and stadiums are half full instead of the current 80% full, maybe the people who make money off cfb will wake up and put corrective measures in place.

Irondawg
07-20-2021, 02:09 PM
I'm also eagerly awaiting the first gender discrimination suit, when some "business" gives a football player $10K for an exclusive interview and gives a female softball player $500 for same thing

msugolf
07-20-2021, 02:13 PM
There's no doubt this will hurt the quality of college footb...uh all college sports. Kids getting paid 6 figures to play for a temporary team until they start their real career? Yeah, why try that hard? Why play every game? You've already got paid. Opt outs will become even more common. Is the value of your NIL due to your sports prowess? Or your twitter following or youtube subscribers? What will increase your following? Playing sports? Or maybe being funny. Maybe it's being controversial. Maybe it's based on your looks.

The actual playing of the sport has been relegated to about 4 or 5 on the priority list. Maybe lower.

Yep it has. Just like with the rest of the society. Its not about whether you can do the actual job or skill great or based on performance; its based solely on your ability to influence others -- that's the desired "skill" nowadays. Thats why you have people who have absolutely no real or actual talent making millions on instagram and other platforms for doing nothing but pimping a product or talking about themselves. But yet they think they're great business leaders and highly gifted.

I'm expecting players to find a way to celebrate TDs by showing a company's instagram handle on their gloves or something. This whole thing will be a mess.

Coach34
07-20-2021, 02:19 PM
Now the NIL becomes a big factor in recruiting for the upcoming cycle. Kids are going to go where they can get the best deals. All this is just getting started.

Now HS players can do it since it doesn’t matter in college anymore. Some guys will have already been making money. HS transfers will begin to spike. Total shitshow ahead

Maverick91
07-20-2021, 02:22 PM
Once the ratings continue to plummet even further and stadiums are half full instead of the current 80% full, maybe the people who make money off cfb will wake up and put corrective measures in place.

That is a pipedream that I am jumping on the bandwagon for, I love college football to much to just wish it to yesteryear.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2021, 02:24 PM
This won?t change a thing.

Desirable HS players get paid a ton under the table. The reason schools with big booster networks win is because they have more to throw at players. OM stacked their booster money on #1 players at their position and it worked, but was obvious and pissed off the money schools.

Now, instead of $800 handshakes and getting a recruits mama a 70k job, that money will be funneled through a car dealership in exchange for a 30 second add.

But the effect is the exact same: more money, more recruits. You?ll just see it now

Maverick91
07-20-2021, 02:24 PM
Yep it has. Just like with the rest of the society. Its not about whether you can do the actual job or skill great or based on performance; its based solely on your ability to influence others -- that's the desired "skill" nowadays. Thats why you have people who have absolutely no real or actual talent making millions on instagram and other platforms for doing nothing but pimping a product or talking about themselves. But yet they think they're great business leaders and highly gifted.

I'm expecting players to find a way to celebrate TDs by showing a company's instagram handle on their gloves or something. This whole thing will be a mess.

GOSH! That idea makes we want to barf.

confucius say
07-20-2021, 02:25 PM
Would any of y'all be interested in putting up a couple hundred (or thousand) and having a few guys come sign autographs somewhere in Starkville (or wherever) and them split the money? I figure we could raise 20k easy and let a few guys split it.

SteelCurtain74
07-20-2021, 02:43 PM
I can't wait until they start interviewing some of these kids after a big win and they start sounding like a damn NASCAR driver giving thanks and naming all of their sponsors.

Offshore Dawg
07-20-2021, 02:53 PM
Well, I got to enjoy watching College football for most of my 70 years. I am just glad that football season coincides with hunting seasons.

Coach34
07-20-2021, 03:01 PM
I can't wait until they start interviewing some of these kids after a big win and they start sounding like a damn NASCAR driver giving thanks and naming all of their sponsors.

It’s already happening. SECN was interviewing a DE from Kentucky today and asked if there was anybody he needed to mention to help his NiL deals.

Cowbell
07-20-2021, 03:08 PM
There's a salary cap in the pros and I will never understand why there isn't in college

Big4Dawg
07-20-2021, 03:16 PM
There's a salary cap in the pros and I will never understand why there isn't in college

Because there isn't a salary cap on how much Mahomes can receive from sponorship

BrunswickDawg
07-20-2021, 03:20 PM
It’s already happening. SECN was interviewing a DE from Kentucky today and asked if there was anybody he needed to mention to help his NiL deals.

https://y.yarn.co/6052c871-1eae-4f17-9f9e-4187474a2aac_text.gif

99jc
07-20-2021, 03:20 PM
It?s already happening. SECN was interviewing a DE from Kentucky today and asked if there was anybody he needed to mention to help his NiL deals.

College players have been getting paid for years just under the table...remember Scam newton and albert means. This gives us a chance to legally outbid Aubarn, Bama and ole miss. there are only a handful of players that would demand 1mil to sign. not even A$M has the money to pay top dollar for 70 football players. Just think on the baseball side if we guarantee say 4-6 top pitchers a year to bypass the draft to go to college and still get paid the equivalent of a MLB signing bonus to play at the dude its a win win situation for us and the players. HAIL STATE!

Matt3467
07-20-2021, 03:45 PM
Makes you miss the old agreement that if you were good at sports you could get "paid" by getting a free ride to a university that many others only dream about.

Coach34
07-20-2021, 03:46 PM
Yes they have- but now it’s a lot easier for the big boys. They don’t have to try to hide it. We can’t come close to matching any of that. And now it makes it easier for schools in the middle to help their signees. Places like Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Birmingham, etc can generate more advertising dollars than we can.

Activated Alpha
07-20-2021, 03:52 PM
At this point I look forward to seeing the whole sham burn down. Never been a watch the world burn type of guy, but I think it is time. This will totally snowball into lawsuits from other individuals like ladies who feel that they are being discriminated against by not having the same type NIL deal. Also I feel for some of our brightest students who work their ass off for academic scholarship money only to be laughed at by a football player with an ACT of 17 making 6 figures

basedog
07-20-2021, 04:16 PM
I imagine agents will get involved with this NIL thingy! Easy picking for them.

Maroonthirteen
07-20-2021, 04:17 PM
I got a feeling UofMemphis is about to recruit better too. There are a lot of commercial entities that use Tiger basketball for ads. I'm sure some of those would be happy to have actual basketball and football players in those ads.

Maroonthirteen
07-20-2021, 04:20 PM
Now the NIL becomes a big factor in recruiting for the upcoming cycle. Kids are going to go where they can get the best deals. d

Which just goes to show that a players Name and likeness is only as valuable as the brand under which they play. That kid will make $1million because he is the Bama QB. Not because of who he actually is. It's all bulls***.

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2021, 04:21 PM

First off I'd like to thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to play at this level. Also want to thank my mama for driving me to practice all those days. And I got to thank, Bin612, Oby's, Trustmark bank, Parker McGill Dodge, and Bulldog Package Store for making all this possible. And don't forget my homies on the Little Dooey offensive line.

99jc
07-20-2021, 04:29 PM
Yes they have- but now it?s a lot easier for the big boys. They don?t have to try to hide it. We can?t come close to matching any of that. And now it makes it easier for schools in the middle to help their signees. Places like Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Birmingham, etc can generate more advertising dollars than we can.

I think you may be surprised at the money we have backing MSU. I know several big time MSU alumni that would be willing to write off 250k a year to pay these players/family's or provide jobs for parents.

SteelCurtain74
07-20-2021, 04:45 PM
First off I'd like to thank God for blessing me with the opportunity to play at this level. Also want to thank my mama for driving me to practice all those days. And I got to thank, Bin612, Oby's, Trustmark bank, Parker McGill Dodge, and Bulldog Package Store for making all this possible. And don't forget my homies on the Little Dooey offensive line.

LOL

Turfdawg67
07-20-2021, 04:48 PM
I laugh at ppl when they exclaim "I am done with college football because... ". But this could seriously kill it for me. I don't mind being somewhat na?ve and believing that next year will be THE year, but knowing that glimmer of hope will soon be diminished... I might as well punt now.

MadDawg
07-20-2021, 04:51 PM
I think you may be surprised at the money we have backing MSU. I know several big time MSU alumni that would be willing to write off 250k a year to pay these players/family's or provide jobs for parents.

Take whatever you think we have, multiply it by 50, 100, 200 times and you will have the Bama's and Texas's of the world.

99jc
07-20-2021, 05:10 PM
Take whatever you think we have, multiply it by 50, 100, 200 times and you will have the Bama's and Texas's of the world.

And that may be true but we don't need to pay but 5-10 premium players a year and yes we can compete on that level.

OLJWales
07-20-2021, 05:11 PM
This won?t change a thing.

Desirable HS players get paid a ton under the table. The reason schools with big booster networks win is because they have more to throw at players. OM stacked their booster money on #1 players at their position and it worked, but was obvious and pissed off the money schools.

Now, instead of $800 handshakes and getting a recruits mama a 70k job, that money will be funneled through a car dealership in exchange for a 30 second add.

But the effect is the exact same: more money, more recruits. You?ll just see it now

Effect is still the same? $1.2M for a player who hasn't played?

BuckyIsAB****
07-20-2021, 05:16 PM
Guys. They were already getting paid. Many assume the worst. It will be ok I think. Its not going to ruin the sport

Turfdawg67
07-20-2021, 05:26 PM
Guys. They were already getting paid. Many assume the worst. It will be ok I think. Its not going to ruin the sport

Most weren't millionaires... many from the blue bloods will be. This is just the beginning of the end.

Cowbell
07-20-2021, 05:26 PM

Hypothetical- What happens if Will lights it up this year and Mullen gets a gator donor to come and offer him or any of the key pieces around him that help make it possible. That's the part that scares me. The portal and NIL can't exist together.

BuckyIsAB****
07-20-2021, 05:31 PM
Hypothetical- What happens if Will lights it up this year and Mullen gets a gator donor to come and offer him or any of the key pieces around him that help make it possible. That's the part that scares me. The portal and NIL can't exist together.

Ill be honest I dont know enough about it to even say that would be legal to do

Bdawg
07-20-2021, 05:32 PM
Makes you miss the old agreement that if you were good at sports you could get "paid" by getting a free ride to a university that many others only dream about.

Yep. And that "payment" has been steadily increasing over the years.

Turfdawg67
07-20-2021, 05:36 PM
Yep. And that "payment" has been steadily increasing over the years.

Right! Ole Matt is nostalgic for the 1040's. And I thought I was na?ve. Lolz

Mobile Bay
07-20-2021, 05:54 PM
Yes they have- but now it?s a lot easier for the big boys. They don?t have to try to hide it. We can?t come close to matching any of that. And now it makes it easier for schools in the middle to help their signees. Places like Houston, Memphis, Dallas, Birmingham, etc can generate more advertising dollars than we can.

This has nothing to do with advertising dollars. Do you think one person on earth will care about the endorsement of a teenager when they need to buy 30 million dollars worth of concrete from USA Ready Mix?

Or a $100 million dollar building from Harbert?

Or $500k worth of yellowwood?

This is about crazy rich people who can spend this kind of money on dinner getting into ego wars. And we don't even have the chips to sit at the table.

Dawgology
07-20-2021, 06:31 PM
I think this will eventually lead to (in the next 5-10 years) a minor league for college football and a return to amateur status for college players who play with little to no scholarships.

KOdawg1
07-20-2021, 07:20 PM
It's over with.

Amateur athletics had a great run. I look forward to seeing the train crash from this mess.

CovertDawg
07-20-2021, 07:23 PM
It is a mess. D-1 Football is basically just bad minor league football from now on. Honestly, not even sure how Saban finds it fun at this point. He already has all the money in the world and his resume will say greatest college coach ever... and he could not hack it in the NFL when he did not have the best players.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2021, 07:38 PM
Effect is still the same? $1.2M for a player who hasn't played?

I worded it wrong, let me rephrase:

The boosters currently hand out money to recruits, knowing full well 9/10 recruits wont be wanted by the staff by the time they're Srs/that they'll pick a rival school, who's also paying them. Overall, most of the under the table money goes to a lot of recruits that will never see the field for them. The wanted players are double, triple, or quadruple dipping from boosters from multiple schools. Poor booster networks (like ours) have to be careful who they pick because we can't "show the love" to as many recruits.

Under these new NIL laws, boosters can -instead of finding the promising 8th graders and beginning a 5 year journey of small bribes to them- pool their money. No more handouts to 5 LBs only for 1 to get offered by the staff, just pool that 5 recruits' worth of money and offer it all to the staffs top target. If that recruit gets offered more elsewhere, the boosters can decide to up their offer or move on to target #2.

So from a players' perspective, it will go from a multi year long trickle of $200 handshakes from multiple schools to a 1 time payout by the school you sign with. From the schools' perspective, it will be whoever can pit together the most booster $ will get the best recruits... which is how it is now. That's what I mean by it won't change anything.

Look at Cam Newton. Dude LITERALLY shopped himself around and took the best offer. Only difference now is it would be 180k for a 30 second add, vs 180k in a church offering plate

Maroonthirteen
07-20-2021, 07:48 PM
I'm The bribes will still be made in recruiting for visits and on visits. However The larger paydays will be delayed and be much larger. In this environment, Cam Newton doesn't get $180k. He gets the promise of $1M once on campus.

Which this is what the NIL will be for recruiting. It will be an established "pay scale" for recruits to study and determine which school offers the largest pay scale.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2021, 08:03 PM
I'm The bribes will still be made in recruiting for visits and on visits. However The larger paydays will be delayed and be much larger. In this environment, Cam Newton doesn't get $180k. He gets the promise of $1M once on campus.

Which this is what the NIL will be for recruiting. It will be an established "pay scale" for recruits to study and determine which school offers the largest pay scale.

Well either way we aren't getting him, so I'd rather the poor athlete take the cheating corrupt rich businessmen for all their worth. Seriously though, who'd you rather have the extra money? a 19 year old that's never had any and wants to help his mom get out of the trailer park? Or the 57 year old with a net worth of 18mil that's willing to cheat to win at football?

MoreCowbell
07-20-2021, 08:17 PM
The smart play is to put all our resources and money into basketball and baseball. Be powerhouses in both of those. Football will still pay the bills but we will never be competitive enough to do anything so it is what it is

confucius say
07-20-2021, 08:22 PM
I think this will eventually lead to (in the next 5-10 years) a minor league for college football and a return to amateur status for college players who play with little to no scholarships.

I could supper that

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-20-2021, 08:36 PM
The smart play is to put all our resources and money into basketball and baseball. Be powerhouses in both of those. Football will still pay the bills but we will never be competitive enough to do anything so it is what it is

I think baseball. Basketball has a ton of blue bloods with more money than us, and we'd be fighting against history which recruits seem to care about.

R2Dawg
07-20-2021, 08:59 PM

an
Texas and TAMU will rise, wait and see. Texas is on the rise already and they will be a power again soon. They are vested and committed to winning. Watch and see.

TheLostDawg
07-20-2021, 09:08 PM
I think baseball. Basketball has a ton of blue bloods with more money than us, and we'd be fighting against history which recruits seem to care about.

That and private colleges in big cities with wealthy alumni like Dayton. They'll pour their money into basketball. We're going to have to put money into basketball just to stay relevant.

Football is going to be run by the same teams as it was "in the good ole days" which is when they all paid back then such as SMU, Texas, Alabama, ETC,.

Baseball is where we have the advantage. Only thing is, it doesn't bring much income. Maybe that changes in the future when everyone starts lose some interest in football

coachnorm
07-20-2021, 09:45 PM
Now the NIL becomes a big factor in recruiting for the upcoming cycle. Kids are going to go where they can get the best deals. All this is just getting started.

Now HS players can do it since it doesn?t matter in college anymore. Some guys will have already been making money. HS transfers will begin to spike. Total shitshow ahead

The odd thing about this new evolution is Las Vegas which is home to the most corrupt high school football program in America: #2 is light years behind them? UNLV with all that Vegas glitch and elite stadium? You can say you heard it first; who has more money Tuscaloosa or Las Vegas?

Cowbell
07-20-2021, 10:06 PM
Ill be honest I dont know enough about it to even say that would be legal to do

There is nothing they can do about it now other than try to make them sit out a year and that doesn't seem to work either.

HoopsDawg
07-20-2021, 10:07 PM

Man, it's over for us. Absolutely over. South Carolina, Arkansas, Auburn, even UK are going to clean our clock. We are going to have to be the Oakland As of the SEC but moneyball doesn't work when it comes to Dline.

Lord McBuckethead
07-20-2021, 10:36 PM

You act like smaller schools had a shot anyway?

Ari Gold
07-20-2021, 11:55 PM
It’s going to be a complete shit show..

HoopsDawg
07-21-2021, 12:38 AM
an
Texas and TAMU will rise, wait and see. Texas is on the rise already and they will be a power again soon. They are vested and committed to winning. Watch and see.

SMU might make a comeback

Offshore Dawg
07-21-2021, 06:45 AM
So many on here wanting to spend somebody else's money. So my question is what are some of you contributing to this cash source.

The Federalist Engineer
07-21-2021, 07:04 AM
Yep, kinda like David & Goliath, only David?s slingshot was taken away.

David still has a Slingshot - now Goliath has a M4, night vision, and body armor

maroonmania
07-21-2021, 07:09 AM
You act like smaller schools had a shot anyway?

Well, tell yourself that if it makes you feel better but, did we have a shot at a championship? Probably not, but for the last 30 years we've at least had a good shot to be competitive against most teams in our league. Not sure if even that will be possible anymore. What we've had to date has been the equivalent of a lot of schools running 65 to 70 in a 55 mph zone with the concern that they may come around a corner and meet up with a highway patrolman. What we will have now is no speed limit and no law enforcement anywhere to be found. This seems to be more like us trying to keep up on a race track in a Ford Escort against Porsches and Ferraris. We have one of the smallest fanbases in the SEC and our school is one of the more rurally located of any P5 school. Not a good combination with NIL which is nothing more than an athlete money grab from boosters.

Jack Lambert
07-21-2021, 08:13 AM
I don't think it is going to make that big of a difference. Cannon Motors might pay a Ole Miss player if he pans out to be good but not anyone coming out of high school. Business are not going to throw money away. I think they are going to have to be proven. At first there will be mistakes made giving money to unproven guys but they will learn. I just think nothing has changed. The Supreme Court did not say the schools had to pay the players it only said college athletes can make money off their name and images. You have to be good to get the big contracts and those guys were going to Bama and LSU anyways. Where it might be trouble a guy turns out to be good and some advertiser tell him he has to transfer to Bama as part of the contract. Who knows if enough schools gets pissed off the NCAA might change the transfer rules back to what they use to be if it gets out of hand.

ShotgunDawg
07-21-2021, 08:31 AM
My biggest problem with the NIL is that these kids aren't capitalizing on their NIL. It's just boosters paying kids for recruiting purposes.

basedog
07-21-2021, 08:47 AM
I don't think it is going to make that big of a difference. Cannon Motors might pay a Ole Miss player if he pans out to be good but not anyone coming out of high school. Business are not going to throw money away. I think they are going to have to be proven. At first there will be mistakes made giving money to unproven guys but they will learn. I just think nothing has changed. The Supreme Court did not say the schools had to pay the players it only said college athletes can make money off their name and images. You have to be good to get the big contracts and those guys were going to Bama and LSU anyways. Where it might be trouble a guy turns out to be good and some advertiser tell him he has to transfer to Bama as part of the contract. Who knows if enough schools gets pissed off the NCAA might change the transfer rules back to what they use to be if it gets out of hand.

I'm not as concerned about in coming freshman as much as proven players who have a year or two left in college will go to a school which can offer a better deal!

I will say it again, agents will play a part especially in basketball. They already give "free advice" to baseball and basketball stars.

Dawgbite
07-21-2021, 09:08 AM
I don’t care how much money we raise for players, the Bama’s of the world can top us ten fold. We only had a chance to be competitive in football when the playing field was somewhat level financially. That day is long gone. What we need to do is commit 20-25 football scholarships to two way Football/baseball players. Find the pitcher who played football his high school freshman year and put him on scholarship. Put every two way player on IR during football season so they don’t get hurt or let them all be the kickoff coverage team. Do you honestly think we will win more games with 85 scholarships vs 65 scholarships in the future we face?

OLJWales
07-21-2021, 09:17 AM
Transfer situations getting interesting. Did bama cave and drop $1.2M due to a transfer threat? Should sitting out a year return?

lastmajordog
07-21-2021, 09:37 AM
del

Coach34
07-21-2021, 10:06 AM
I'm not as concerned about in coming freshman as much as proven players who have a year or two left in college will go to a school which can offer a better deal!

So you dont think Boosters will start sponsoring 4 and 5 star recruits during their Sr year of HS? I do. And now there arent any repercussions

OLJWales
07-21-2021, 11:00 AM
So you dont think Boosters will start sponsoring 4 and 5 star recruits their Sr year of HS? I do. And now there arent any repercussions

Unfortunately you are right. One of my issues with this shit is that it doesn't reflect true advertising costs. What percent of general consumers keeps up with crootin?

BuckyIsAB****
07-21-2021, 11:44 AM
So you dont think Boosters will start sponsoring 4 and 5 star recruits during their Sr year of HS? I do. And now there arent any repercussions

I think you are underestimating the MHSAA and the school districts. I know places like Rankin and Madison would never go for that

OLJWales
07-21-2021, 12:10 PM
I think you are underestimating the MHSAA and the school districts. I know places like Rankin and Madison would never go for that

Not if a judge says otherwise.

Jesus replied, “And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them.

Luke 11:46

basedog
07-21-2021, 12:11 PM

I did t say they want, just saying a proven player will get a good day one year deal in the free agent market.

Cowbell
07-21-2021, 12:16 PM

I will say it again, agents will play a part especially in basketball. They already give "free advice" to baseball and basketball stars.

Exactly how I see it as well! And agents can be paid by the sponsors. There is absolutely no stopping this. Think the NFL without contracts and without salary cap, the players are unproven, and donors call all the shots.

Cowbell
07-21-2021, 12:17 PM

The problem is this will become a lawsuit if they try and stop it.

Cowbell
07-21-2021, 12:19 PM
It’s going to be a complete shit show..

This could be the Webster's definition of "disaster", "dumpster fire" or "abomination"

Coach34
07-21-2021, 12:23 PM

They won?t have a choice. AAU and 7 on 7?s already have sponsors. Now it will just be individual.

BuckyIsAB****
07-21-2021, 12:27 PM
They won?t have a choice. AAU and 7 on 7?s already have sponsors. Now it will just be individual.

Im with you in that im concerned it hurts the sport but just dont think it will change that much. Only the stars and your QBs are going to get anything.

The one thing the media and some of the kids dont want people to know is that they were already getting paid. They are already getting a stipend every month to do what they want to do with on top of housing food education clothes whatever else. But you will never hear that on Gameday

ArrowDawg
07-21-2021, 12:28 PM
At first thought you would think so. But it also could be a big problem down the line for those blue bloods. The worst thing that can happen to someone (especially young kids) is to get some money and get comfortable. If you take away that motivation or desire to succeed at the next level then they'll become complacent. Meanwhile the guys that didn't get as much and are still out to prove themselves will continue to work. Also, handing over a bunch of money to people who aren't mature enough to handle it can cause all sorts of ego and attitude problems. Maybe potential locker room issues.

So I can see both sides of it coming into play.

However, I lean to it hurting us more than helping. But my interest in cfball has dwindled mightily past few years so might as well put the nail in the coffin. Eventually people will tire of seeing the same 4-5 teams at the top and ratings will decline

I've already tired of seeing the same teams at the top every year. The playoff has bored the hell out of me lately. Just don't care. I think we need to accept that we're a baseball school and throw everything we have at that, then just take whatever we get in football.

confucius say
07-21-2021, 12:53 PM
Isn't it limited to current student athletes, not prospective? Meaning recruits.

OLJWales
07-21-2021, 12:54 PM
I've already tired of seeing the same teams at the top every year. The playoff has bored the hell out of me lately. Just don't care. I think we need to accept that we're a baseball school and throw everything we have at that, then just take whatever we get in football.

Are you French?

Coach34
07-21-2021, 01:11 PM
Isn't it limited to current student athletes, not prospective? Meaning recruits.

There is no more amateurism. You can't limit it at this point.

confucius say
07-21-2021, 01:33 PM
There is no more amateurism. You can't limit it at this point.

From what I've read, I find two things interesting. One, most high school associations have a rule that prevents an athlete from receiving payment related to his activities as an athlete. I wonder if the mhsaa has such a rule.
Two, the ncaa rule allows for recruits "to engage in the same type of NIL opportunities available to current student athletes" but specifically says those opportunities may not be used as recruiting endorsements. Does that mean a booster, as defined by the NCAA, cannot provide an NIL opportunity for a high school athlete?

Bothrops
07-21-2021, 01:54 PM
I hope no one is surprised that college sports isn't unreachable by the swirling slick of sewage that has become every other part of life in the 21st century..

Coach34
07-21-2021, 02:00 PM
From what I've read, I find two things interesting. One, most high school associations have a rule that prevents an athlete from receiving payment related to his activities as an athlete. I wonder if the mhsaa has such a rule.
Two, the ncaa rule allows for recruits "to engage in the same type of NIL opportunities available to current student athletes" but specifically says those opportunities may not be used as recruiting endorsements. Does that mean a booster, as defined by the NCAA, cannot provide an NIL opportunity for a high school athlete?

Whats to stop the top recruited QB in the state from taking an advertisement deal after his last game at QB? What they gonna do- kick him out of math class?

confucius say
07-21-2021, 03:27 PM
Whats to stop the top recruited QB in the state from taking an advertisement deal after his last game at QB? What they gonna do- kick him out of math class?

No bc the mhsaa wouldn't be tied to his Ducati on anyway. They may keep him from playing basketball or baseball in the spring.
Plus, by the time his last game is over I'm guessing he is already committed and weeks away from signing.

I think the bigger issue is how the ncaa will handle it if a booster of school X provides an NIL opportunity to Joe and then Joe signs with school X, bc that certainly appears to be a recruiting endorsement, which is specifically not allowed by the rule

coachnorm
07-21-2021, 11:43 PM

You are bringing to light Rankin and Madison when this new evolution is a NATIONAL THING. Coach34 is giving many a heads up on high school football issues as NATIONAL high school football is rained down on Mississippi and the rest of the country. Getting some law and order within the game is going to be problematic when the government, courts, and public has lost respect for the NCAA and State Governing boards. For fellow elite doggers, do you know that the Nevada State Legislature almost passed a resolution against Bishop Gorman High School Football baring all Nevada programs from playing them? Bishop Gorman was almost relegated to play their whole schedule out of State? Buckle up you seat belts, it's going to get crazy.

SPMT
07-22-2021, 08:20 AM

hard to argue against this.

Extendedcab
07-22-2021, 04:52 PM
This may have already been posted but - this is crazy and we are just starting NIL:

Alabama football coach Nick Saban hasn't officially named Bryce Young the Crimson Tide's starting quarterback, and yet Saban says that Young is already approaching $1 million in endorsement deals.

According to reports, Saban told the Texas High School Coaches Association's convention on Tuesday that Young, a sophomore, is due to make "ungodly numbers."

While Saban wouldn't divulge the specifics of the deals Young has signed, Saban said the total compensation is "almost seven figures."

"And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet," Saban said, according to The Athletic. "But that's because of our brand."

Asked at SEC media days about Young's potential compensation, Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin said, "That number just blew me away.

"He's made $1 million, and he hasn't started a game yet? Wow.

OLJWales
07-22-2021, 04:59 PM
This may have already been posted but - this is crazy and we are just starting NIL:

Alabama football coach Nick Saban hasn't officially named Bryce Young the Crimson Tide's starting quarterback, and yet Saban says that Young is already approaching $1 million in endorsement deals.

According to reports, Saban told the Texas High School Coaches Association's convention on Tuesday that Young, a sophomore, is due to make "ungodly numbers."

While Saban wouldn't divulge the specifics of the deals Young has signed, Saban said the total compensation is "almost seven figures."

"And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet," Saban said, according to The Athletic. "But that's because of our brand."

Asked at SEC media days about Young's potential compensation, Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin said, "That number just blew me away.

"He's made $1 million, and he hasn't started a game yet? Wow.

Did Kiffin say that tounge in cheek? I mean who the hell writes his checks?

Extendedcab
07-22-2021, 05:17 PM
Did Kiffin say that tounge in cheek? I mean who the hell writes his checks?

The quote want not just from Kiffin but supposedly from Saban himself.

"Alabama football coach Nick Saban hasn't officially named Bryce Young the Crimson Tide's starting quarterback, and yet Saban says that Young is already approaching $1 million in endorsement deals."

I wish I knew who wrote the checks!

Goldendawg
07-23-2021, 03:41 PM
With some of these "amateur" athletes going to make much more $ than me under NIL, scholarships should be based on need and they pay their share or all. Real game changer in more ways than one! Signed 50 plus years season ticket holder and Bulldog Club member. If I wanted to watch pro games I would go to Nashville or maybe Atlanta. Concerned/Hail State!