PDA

View Full Version : Mark Emmert says....

CaptainObvious
07-15-2021, 08:35 PM
For your reading pleasure

Liverpooldawg
07-15-2021, 09:19 PM
For the obviously link challenged......

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31824357/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-says-right-consider-decentralized-deregulated-college-sports

The Federalist Engineer
07-15-2021, 09:40 PM
NCAA is over. This is like Gorbachev pulling the Tanks and Troops out of Eastern Europe in 1989.

https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/11/08/PCIN/bb397256-26cc-4ec8-a1da-21a97832a5f7-AP_8911110123.jpg

Some places will be like Germany and the Czech Republic and pivot to peace and prosperity. Others will sink into chaos and War Lords like Chechnya, Bosnia, and Afghanistan

OLJWales
07-15-2021, 09:49 PM
For your reading pleasure

You might wanna get a new user name.

Dawgcap
07-15-2021, 09:53 PM
Hell he got rich off of this. While it needs to be gone it should of been years earlier but people like him had to pad their pockets and now try showing he has morals!

OLJWales
07-15-2021, 10:00 PM
The NCAA is a dumbass institution if they were unable to win that case

CaptainObvious
07-15-2021, 10:40 PM
For the obviously link challenged......

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31824357/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-says-right-consider-decentralized-deregulated-college-sports

Yeah. Thanks for the assist.

One interesting thing is that he admits that the different levels and different sports have to be separated. I wonder how much agreement he gets from the Group of 5, The FCS, Division 2 and Division 3 Presidents on that opinion?

TheLostDawg
07-15-2021, 11:04 PM
"You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens," Emmert said. "Or you can say, 'Look, we're in it. This is a new era.' We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it."

Yet he's 'leaning back' and letting the conferences figure it out. What a hipocrite to say that then basically say it's all on the conferences to figure it out. You'd think the NCAA would set some foundation and then watch how each conference does and go with what works and adapt. Seems like instead he wants the NCAA as far away as possible.

In a way I don't blame him. The way things are today someone would probably dig/make up some dirt on him if he didn't do what one group liked/call him a (insert whatever here) and try to ruin him/his career. People take things way too personal these days.

Dawgology
07-15-2021, 11:17 PM
"You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens," Emmert said. "Or you can say, 'Look, we're in it. This is a new era.' We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it."

Yet he's 'leaning back' and letting the conferences figure it out. What a hipocrite to say that then basically say it's all on the conferences to figure it out. You'd think the NCAA would set some foundation and then watch how each conference does and go with what works and adapt. Seems like instead he wants the NCAA as far away as possible.

In a way I don't blame him. The way things are today someone would probably dig/make up some dirt on him if he didn't do what one group liked/call him a (insert whatever here) and try to ruin him/his career. People take things way too personal these days.

I love what hes doing. Sitting back and watching it go. It should be a hilarious ride. You are about to see a level of corruption unparalleled in college sports. It will be a magnificent train wreck and in the end you will see a BUNCH of sports programs suffer and scholarships dry up.

ScoobaDawg
07-15-2021, 11:41 PM
Yeah. Thanks for the assist.

One interesting thing is that he admits that the different levels and different sports have to be separated. I wonder how much agreement he gets from the Group of 5, The FCS, Division 2 and Division 3 Presidents on that opinion?

Fixed...

Westdawg
07-16-2021, 12:13 AM
I predict that Liberty University will win a Football National Championship under Hugh Freeze within 5 years......LU about to make SMU look like peewee football 👀

HoopsDawg
07-16-2021, 08:47 AM
"the bare minimum" wow.

HoopsDawg
07-16-2021, 08:50 AM
the NCAA"s NIL proposal was an attempt to "prevent from getting sued". Lawyers....

RiverCityDawg
07-16-2021, 09:25 AM
Seems a lot of people don't quite realize that the NCAA is just an organized front for university President's and AD's. They are the bad guy face but don't really have any power that isn't given to them by the actual decision makers behind the scenes.

The NCAA model worked in the past but the spread between SEC college football and women's MEAC hockey (for example) is just too great now. There are too many varied interests and needs. Football alone is its own animal and the SEC within that is big enough to be completely autonomous. Covid plus the NIL just made it even more abundantly clear that a drastic change has to happen to give each sport the flexibility it needs to survive in the current landscape.

They guy just said out loud what is already abundantly clear. If I was running an organization that is powerless but is perceived to have some sort of power and is constantly getting sued for it, I would say the same thing as he has... Get us the hell out of this.

TrapGame
07-16-2021, 10:00 AM
I predict that Liberty University will win a Football National Championship under Hugh Freeze within 5 years......LU about to make SMU look like peewee football ��

Didn't SMU have a crap ton of oil money back then?

Hugh might be back at a P5 program before too long.

Tbonewannabe
07-16-2021, 10:35 AM
Didn't SMU have a crap ton of oil money back then?

Hugh might be back at a P5 program before too long.

Seems I read that Liberty has a lot of money also. It pays to be an entity that doesn't pay taxes. If you look at their facilities, they are on par with P5 schools already. They just have a smaller enrollment so don't need a big stadium.

OLJWales
07-16-2021, 11:49 AM
What's the difference between the NFL preventing the Chiefs from doubling Mahomes' salary vs the NCAA putting caps on NIL? A wealthy Canes fan has already offered
$500 a month for all Cane football players thru Bring Back the U and using his MMA training facility bidness he owns for the advertising. I think that soon there will be those types of organizations on campuses everywhere replacing bags of cash with endorsement contracts for croots and players. I also think that every player on a team making the same will cause problems and there will be players jealous of those making much more if the true value is put in place. A fork in the road with no good option?

I think this will turn out to be kinda the same as boosters getting players "jobs". Worked with a guy who was a standout starter in TX (Big 10). He got $5K per month for a "job" and lived rent free in a VERY nice off campus Condo. Was offered 5K a month by another school in the Big East. He said not all players got that. He was an honest, Christian, husband and father. We went to lunch together a lot and embarassed me on our first time because I forgot to say grace as he said a quick silent prayer.

Serious question, did the NCAA actually say this was an attempt to keep booster money out of the equation? Wanted to prevent "Bring Back The U's" from popping up? I think River City nailed it too in this thread when saying the NCAA is nothing more than an organization run by the Blue Bloods and based on the lawsuits, can't blame those who run the NCAA for saying just 17 it at this point.

Jack Lambert
07-16-2021, 02:09 PM
Does the NCAA make money off football? They don't control play off or bowl games. They don't control TV contracts. They probably should have washed their hands of it years ago.

bobtail bob
07-16-2021, 03:36 PM
You can lean back and do nothing and then just wait and see what happens," Emmert said. "Or you can say, 'Look, we're in it. This is a new era.' We need to take advantage of it, pivot as much as we can toward the areas that I was just talking about and and embrace that change rather than fighting it."

The real thing they are worried about. Keeping their hands in the cookie jar.

SPMT
07-16-2021, 11:59 PM
What?s the solution? Everyone can bitch and moan. What are the steps to a collegiate league in major sports and what are the detriments?

The big schools will NOT go down easily. Too much money involved and they all have more than the rest.

What happens to the ?non-revenue? producing a sports? How does our society continue to provide athletic scholarships for those sports, so they have the education opportunities. Sounds stupid saying that, but that?s the reality.

Honestly, non-revenue sports, that don?t provide ?their own way? to academic institutions, should not obtain scholarships. Like those of us less academically gifted. If hey want to continue to play sports, then pay your way u less you have the grades. Male or female.

These are academic institutions.

Now. I?m not in agreement with the above, but the rabbit hole is very deep.

OLJWales
07-17-2021, 12:20 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/d14dVnsV/Nuke.png

Dawgology
07-17-2021, 09:48 AM
What?s the solution? Everyone can bitch and moan. What are the steps to a collegiate league in major sports and what are the detriments?

The big schools will NOT go down easily. Too much money involved and they all have more than the rest.

What happens to the ?non-revenue? producing a sports? How does our society continue to provide athletic scholarships for those sports, so they have the education opportunities. Sounds stupid saying that, but that?s the reality.

Honestly, non-revenue sports, that don?t provide ?their own way? to academic institutions, should not obtain scholarships. Like those of us less academically gifted. If hey want to continue to play sports, then pay your way u less you have the grades. Male or female.

That will be the only way to truly take care of it. Pull scholarships for all sports and have it become truly amateur again. Allow all major league sports to draft straight out of high school.

HoopsDawg
07-17-2021, 10:17 AM

What did Greg Byrne say when asked about improvements to the old Dudy Noble? he would say, got a stick of dynamite. B/c that is the only solution to the upcoming problems in college sports. Blow it up and start over with modern rules and structures.

R2Dawg
07-17-2021, 04:24 PM
Just like our economy, there is a major correction coming and it ain't going to be pretty for a lot of schools. SEC will survive somehow but it will not be good for a lot of schools. I don't see how title 9 survives.

Dawgology
07-17-2021, 06:24 PM
Just like our economy, there is a major correction coming and it ain't going to be pretty for a lot of schools. SEC will survive somehow but it will not be good for a lot of schools. I don't see how title 9 survives.

Do you mean economy or housing market? I know they go hand in hand. I see a BIG correction in the housing market coming about 6-12 months out. The economy?I don?t know. Maybe the stock market but to me the economy and stock market are two separate beasts.

CaptainObvious
07-17-2021, 08:27 PM
Do you mean economy or housing market? I know they go hand in hand. I see a BIG correction in the housing market coming about 6-12 months out. The economy?I don?t know. Maybe the stock market but to me the economy and stock market are two separate beasts.

Yep. The stock market is definitely artificially inflated right now and people are trying to say the economy is booming because of it. Negative ghost rider. High housing, fuel, and food prices hurt the poorest 2/5 of the population.

R2Dawg
07-17-2021, 09:25 PM

I see the economy as the real business of our country, the stock market is the emotional state of the economy. The stock market has been long overdue but the economy is not heading in a good direction at all - inflation and the fed arbitrarily keeping the interest rates low with inflation is not a good combination. Add in the gov checks, businesses can't hire workers, higher taxes on those working and overspending by gov and we are in big trouble.

Our gov just reflects the people in our culture. No one wants to be responsible and just charge it regardless if they can pay for it.

Homedawg
07-17-2021, 10:10 PM
I see the economy as the real business of our country, the stock market is the emotional state of the economy. The stock market has been long overdue but the economy is not heading in a good direction at all - inflation and the fed arbitrarily keeping the interest rates low with inflation is not a good combination. Add in the gov checks, businesses can't hire workers, higher taxes on those working and overspending by gov and we are in big trouble.

Our gov just reflects the people in our culture. No one wants to be responsible and just charge it regardless if they can pay for it.
Golf clap......and I mean that in a good way...m

Cowbell
07-17-2021, 10:48 PM

Ticking time bomb

OLJWales
07-17-2021, 11:01 PM

Good stuff except I'm not totally on board with "our govt reflects the people in our culture"

Cowbell
07-18-2021, 06:01 AM
Good stuff except I'm not totally on board with "our govt reflects the people in our culture"

I've spent quite a bit of time in DC. Unfortunately our country is being ran by a bunch of 19-25 yr olds.

OLJWales
07-18-2021, 04:20 PM
I've spent quite a bit of time in DC. Unfortunately our country is being ran by a bunch of 19-25 yr olds.

yep. and even the ones much older act as children taking advantage of low information voters.

R2Dawg
07-18-2021, 06:06 PM

I only say that because the people electing the gov. I know there are a large % that do not approve of what has gone on. I work with a lot of ill informed people who vote these idiots in to run us off the tracks. Also know most people get in a personal spending deficeit just like the feds.

R2Dawg
07-18-2021, 06:08 PM

What I don't understand is why would the public elect unqualified people like this? AOC was a bartender and now in DC? Why, How?

OLJWales
07-18-2021, 06:29 PM
What I don't understand is why would the public elect unqualified people like this? AOC was a bartender and now in DC? Why, How?

The same reason people elect the dude from GA who said we must limit the amount of military equipment on a south pacific island in fear of it sinking.. (not kidding)

R2Dawg
07-18-2021, 07:20 PM
The same reason people elect the dude from GA who said we must limit the amount of military equipment on a south pacific island in fear of it sinking.. (not kidding)

Yeah the general public is just ignorant. Maxine Watters, Pelosi, AOC, Omar and the list goes on of people who have no business being in DC. Just for the those libs reading, there are some Rhino Republicans I want gone too that are corrupting DC as well.

OLJWales
07-18-2021, 08:38 PM
Yeah the general public is just ignorant. Maxine Watters, Pelosi, AOC, Omar and the list goes on of people who have no business being in DC. Just for the those libs reading, there are some Rhino Republicans I want gone too that are corrupting DC as well.

yep, I don't worship a party or politican, just choose between the lesser of the two evils.

Bothrops
07-18-2021, 11:43 PM
I think people need to think about how they can start enjoying the big ride off the cliff instead of scrubbing their shoe soles in futile attemp to halt this train.

R2Dawg
07-19-2021, 12:08 PM
I think people need to think about how they can start enjoying the big ride off the cliff instead of scrubbing their shoe soles in futile attemp to halt this train.

It will not be enjoyable but you better be packing your parachutte to soften the landing.