PDA

View Full Version : Rowdy Jordan

Catfish
07-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Dang, I really thought he would go somewhere in the 10 rounds. What are his options now?

LandDawg
07-12-2021, 06:46 PM
10 more rounds of the draft tomorrow

R2Dawg
07-12-2021, 08:19 PM
Rowdey is a baller. Someone going to get a steal in next 10 rounds.

Homedawg
07-12-2021, 08:33 PM
Rowdy was a really good college player and proud he will always be a bulldog! With that said, I have a very hard time seeing him progress very far in the minors. I hope this is my worst prediction ever. But I can't see it.

MetEdDawg
07-12-2021, 08:49 PM
Rowdy was a really good college player and proud he will always be a bulldog! With that said, I have a very hard time seeing him progress very far in the minors. I hope this is my worst prediction ever. But I can't see it.

Same. He's not a particularly great defender and has a below average arm that won't get better. Doesn't have that top end speed that's impressive. Good contact hitter that shows power sometimes.

I think his ceiling if he can find a way to really improve is short term OF platoon in the MLB, but his most likely scenario is AA ball then after 4 years getting into coaching or something else.

I'm with Homedawg. I really hope I'm wrong and that this is a shit prediction. But I said something very similar about Mangum and still stand by that.

Commercecomet24
07-12-2021, 09:08 PM
Love Rowdey and he's a Bulldog legend, great college player. However he's limited for pro ball. Doesn't really have the arm or bat to play outfield in pro ball. That being said I hope he becomes a hall of famer! Love the guy!

Todd4State
07-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Love Rowdey and he's a Bulldog legend, great college player. However he's limited for pro ball. Doesn't really have the arm or bat to play outfield in pro ball. That being said I hope he becomes a hall of famer! Love the guy!

I kind of wonder if he could play second base? May not have the range to do it.

Fader21
07-12-2021, 09:31 PM
I think his ceiling if he can find a way to really improve is short term OF platoon in the MLB, but his most likely scenario is AA ball then after 4 years getting into coaching or something else.

Why does everyone think just because you played the sport at a college level they need to go into coaching. He has his degree in Finance. I understand you can coach with any degree but he can do so much more with a finance degree. I bet you are one of the ones who hopes Dak comes back to coach for us with Boobie and crew

MetEdDawg
07-12-2021, 09:42 PM
Why does everyone think just because you played the sport at a college level they need to go into coaching. He has his degree in Finance. I understand you can coach with any degree but he can do so much more with a finance degree. I bet you are one of the ones who hopes Dak comes back to coach for us with Boobie and crew

I think your statement is a gross overreaction to a pretty benign comment. Kid seems like he's pretty smart and loves the game and could be a good coach at some point.

I'm not pigeon holing him into some destitution in the coaching profession. Just an observation that he could get into coaching and be successful at some point since I think he's a solid ball player and could be the kind of person to impart that knowledge on others.

Calm down.

Tbonewannabe
07-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Same. He's not a particularly great defender and has a below average arm that won't get better. Doesn't have that top end speed that's impressive. Good contact hitter that shows power sometimes.

I'm with Homedawg. I really hope I'm wrong and that this is a shit prediction. But I said something very similar about Mangum and still stand by that.

Mangum has a plus arm (was throwing 92-95 off the mound if I remember correctly) and is a very good defensive outfielder. His big limit is drawing walks (hopefully can work on this) and power (seems he did work on this last year - 4 or so homers so far in AA). Rowdy has shown more power but lacks everything else. Who knows how he develops but he has shown he can hit great pitching at least.

Jack Lambert
07-13-2021, 07:45 AM
Because of Covid can't he come back for another season?

BiscuitEater
07-13-2021, 08:18 AM
Because of Covid can't he come back for another season?

CAN BUT probably WON'T

ImissCityBagel
07-13-2021, 08:33 AM
That sucks because I could easily see Rowdy being the "face" of a franchise. He needs a faster sprint for his type though...otherwise he is dime a dozen at the top level.

Fader21
07-13-2021, 08:37 AM
I think your statement is a gross overreaction to a pretty benign comment. Kid seems like he's pretty smart and loves the game and could be a good coach at some point.

I'm not pigeon holing him into some destitution in the coaching profession. Just an observation that he could get into coaching and be successful at some point since I think he's a solid ball player and could be the kind of person to impart that knowledge on others.

Calm down.

Don't you realize most coaches are those who didn't extremely excel at their sport. Some examples of this are Vince Lombardi, Nick Saban, Dan Mullen, Lincoln Riley, Mike Leach, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid. Baseball you got Joe Mason, Jim Leyland, and probably the most famous baseball manager of all time is Joe McCarthy
Some played college ball but I wouldn't say at a successful level of play. Yes, Rowdey loves the game, I love the game, my daughter loves the game. That doesn't mean we all would be good coaches or managers.

Why is it that everyone thinks someone is overreacting because they disagree with their opinions. You might not like mine but I don't think you are overreacting. I just think your wrong in your assessment.

Saltydog
07-13-2021, 08:43 AM
He can but here's the problem with that. When you're a senior, unless you're a really high draft pick you don't have any bargaining power. It's pretty much "take it or leave it" because you really don't have any other options at that point. That's the issue with him coming back. Jake Mangum only got $20,000 and he was drafted in the 4th round.

MetEdDawg
07-13-2021, 08:59 AM
Don't you realize most coaches are those who didn't extremely excel at their sport. Some examples of this are Vince Lombardi, Nick Saban, Dan Mullen, Lincoln Riley, Mike Leach, Bill Belichick, Andy Reid. Baseball you got Joe Mason, Jim Leyland, and probably the most famous baseball manager of all time is Joe McCarthy
Some played college ball but I wouldn't say at a successful level of play. Yes, Rowdey loves the game, I love the game, my daughter loves the game. That doesn't mean we all would be good coaches or managers.

Why is it that everyone thinks someone is overreacting because they disagree with their opinions. You might not like mine but I don't think you are overreacting. I just think your wrong in your assessment.

Mostly because you said "I bet you are one of those people who want Dak to come back and coach with Boobie and crew". It was a total overreaction. You've got no clue what I think man. It was an overreaction trying to call me out on me saying he could end up a coach.

Let him go do finance if he wants and it doesn't work out with baseball. Makes no difference to me. All it was was a statement of opinion from me. You can disagree all you want. But for every example you gave, there are thousands and thousands of coaches at all levels from middle school to the pros that are full of guys like a Rowdey that played ball and decided they wanted to give back to the sport instead of do something in their original field.

Just calm down.

FISHDAWG
07-13-2021, 09:17 AM

Maybe a DH in the American League... He's a contact hitter and it seems like some MLB team somewhere could use that.. I tend to agree with y'all, I'm holding out hope for a good Bulldog
I think about Tony Gwinn as I type this

Fader21
07-13-2021, 09:30 AM

Calm down.

Mostly because you said "I bet you are one of those people who want Dak to come back and coach with Boobie and crew". It was a total overreaction. You've got no clue what I think man. It was an overreaction trying to call me out on me saying he could end up a coach.

Let him go do finance if he wants and it doesn't work out with baseball. Makes no difference to me. All it was was a statement of opinion from me. You can disagree all you want. But for every example you gave, there are thousands and thousands of coaches at all levels from middle school to the pros that are full of guys like a Rowdey that played ball and decided they wanted to give back to the sport instead of do something in their original field.

Just calm down.

You are right he maybe the best little league coach of all time.

But see your problem is you think I'm overreacting and I'm not. I am very calm so you don't have to tell me to calm down. Trust me I have great BP

StarkVegasSteve
07-13-2021, 09:37 AM
Maybe a DH in the American League... He's a contact hitter and it seems like some MLB team somewhere could use that.. I tend to agree with y'all, I'm holding out hope for a good Bulldog

Pro Ball is all about launch angle at the moment. They'll take 1-4 with a HR over 3-4 with 3 singles every day of the week.

Coach34
07-13-2021, 09:59 AM
People need to remember these guys aren't on full scholarship like football and basketball. They have to pay to play. Some people choose to move on as opposed to keep paying thousands

Quaoarsking
07-13-2021, 10:57 AM
People need to remember these guys aren't on full scholarship like football and basketball. They have to pay to play. Some people choose to move on as opposed to keep paying thousands

Somebody with money needs to offer him an endorsement that covers full cost of grad school attendance if he chooses to return.

parabrave
07-13-2021, 11:00 AM
Even though he played CF in College that doesn't mean he will in the Pros. If you go to any minor league series esp A and AA you will see players playing multiple positions. They even have position players pitching. The minors are for development.

MetEdDawg
07-13-2021, 11:14 AM
Rowdey now heading to the Mets in the 11th round. Will be hanging around Mangum, Ginn, and Cole Gordon hopefully soon.

I could never be a Mets fan as a Braves fan but dang that's a lot of MSU guys in their organization.

Commercecomet24
07-13-2021, 11:18 AM
Rowdey now heading to the Mets in the 11th round. Will be hanging around Mangum, Ginn, and Cole Gordon hopefully soon.

I could never be a Mets fan as a Braves fan but dang that's a lot of MSU guys in their organization.

Good for Rowdey!

PMDawg
07-15-2021, 02:09 PM
You are right he maybe the best little league coach of all time.

But see your problem is you think I'm overreacting and I'm not. I am very calm so you don't have to tell me to calm down. Trust me I have great BP

All of this may be true, but you're certainly the one coming off as the jerk in this situation.

StarkVegasSteve
07-15-2021, 02:36 PM
Even though he played CF in College that doesn't mean he will in the Pros. If you go to any minor league series esp A and AA you will see players playing multiple positions. They even have position players pitching. The minors are for development.

His hope to make it at the next level will be as a middle infielder. He doesn't have the power to be an outfielder at the next level.

OLJWales
07-16-2021, 02:04 PM

thank you for reminding me of him as back then I kept up with MLB. What a good eye at the plate.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-17-2021, 10:26 AM
You will always have guys who are incredible college players, but don’t have pro potential. Often this is because of certain “measurables” that professional leagues like. Darry Wilson in basketball for example. Or Ross Mitchell in baseball. Rowdey may fit in that category. We will see. I wish him nothing but the best. But there is a reason that Eric Cerantola got drafted in the 5th round, while Houston Harding didn’t get drafted at all. And that reason was clearly not production or success or execution.