PDA

View Full Version : Kellum Clark Cape position?

AlSwearengen
07-11-2021, 12:39 PM
Anyone know? That might give us an indication as to what our coaches are thinking is his future position.

As an aside, I saw that Logan Tanner hit a HR for team USA in the last couple of days.

Todd4State
07-11-2021, 12:54 PM
I think he may have been playing first base?

Homedawg
07-11-2021, 01:11 PM
He's playing first.

Lord McBuckethead
07-11-2021, 03:27 PM
We need him playing first.

preachermatt83
07-11-2021, 06:18 PM
We need him playing first.

I thought luke did a good job at first

BeardoMSU
07-11-2021, 06:20 PM

Several guys said Luke won't be back, fwiw.

shoeless joe
07-11-2021, 06:27 PM
Several guys said Luke won't be back, fwiw.

The only thing I think that would make him want to move on is the fact that Tanner is blocking him at his natural position. Luke is a pro catcher…just happens to be on a team that has another one that’s a little better. I’d like to see him come back and improve upon his power numbers against quality pitching. But am interested to see how it shakes out with him. He was a huge key to this past season.

Homedawg
07-11-2021, 09:19 PM

If Luke gets drafted he's gone. Who knows. But Clark is draft eligible next year. He's gonna bust it to play a spot. Dh isn't much help for him.

Todd4State
07-11-2021, 10:12 PM
Regardless of what happens with Hancock I don't think he will be our first baseman next year.

If I had to guess it will be Clark or Hines.

Dawgtini
07-11-2021, 10:28 PM
The only thing I think that would make him want to move on is the fact that Tanner is blocking him at his natural position. Luke is a pro catcher…just happens to be on a team that has another one that’s a little better. I’d like to see him come back and improve upon his power numbers against quality pitching. But am interested to see how it shakes out with him. He was a huge key to this past season.

The fact that Luke was the hardest out in all of college baseball says he should be drafted or else come back.

Coach34
07-11-2021, 11:21 PM
Is Hancock playing anywhere this summer? I havent seen him listed anywhere

Lord McBuckethead
07-12-2021, 11:57 AM
The fact that Luke was the hardest out in all of college baseball says he should be drafted or else come back.

Luke simply had quality at bats for what seemed to be the entire season. Sure, he was sacrificing a little of his power to make sure he hit for average, if he came back one more year, I bet he puts up some really good numbers next year.

Saltydog
07-12-2021, 12:08 PM
The only thing I think that would make him want to move on is the fact that Tanner is blocking him at his natural position. Luke is a pro catcher?just happens to be on a team that has another one that?s a little better. I?d like to see him come back and improve upon his power numbers against quality pitching. But am interested to see how it shakes out with him. He was a huge key to this past season.

That's the problem with Luke. He's NOT a pro catcher. Just isn't good enough defensively. He's not big enough to play 1st so where does he play at the next level? That's what is going to hurt him but at the same token you have a guy that walks a lot and doesn't strike out a bunch so someone will take a chance on him. I don't think he's back. If he's drafted, he's gone.

shoeless joe
07-12-2021, 12:25 PM
That's the problem with Luke. He's NOT a pro catcher. Just isn't good enough defensively. He's not big enough to play 1st so where does he play at the next level? That's what is going to hurt him but at the same token you have a guy that walks a lot and doesn't strike out a bunch so someone will take a chance on him. I don't think he's back. If he's drafted, he's gone.

Size is definitely what could hold him back from playing behind the plate. I said that the day he showed up. But you are wrong that he doesn’t have the defensive tools to catch in pro ball. He just happens to play behind Tanner who could be a top round pick in the draft next yr.

Homedawg
07-12-2021, 12:31 PM
Size is definitely what could hold him back from playing behind the plate. I said that the day he showed up. But you are wrong that he doesn’t have the defensive tools to catch in pro ball. He just happens to play behind Tanner who could be a top round pick in the draft next yr.

He's not a pro catcher. Salty is right. He's an adequate college catcher. But we wouldn't want him starting there 3 days in the weekend.

Hot Rock
07-12-2021, 01:17 PM

I don't get the size problem for Luke. He is 5' 11" and 190lbs. He is only about an inch shorter and 15-20lbs lighter than the average catcher in the MLB. He is taller than several of them by an inch or two and he is sure to add a few pounds of muscle over the next couple years if he keeps working at it. That would put him just below the average size for a MLB catcher. It's not like he is 5' 5" or something. Where does this come from the he is too small?

Hot Rock
07-12-2021, 01:40 PM
Luke would be about the same size as Yadier Molina who is only 5' 11" and weighs in at 205lbs and bigger than Christian Vazquez who is 5' 9" and 194lbs. Both are considered two of the better catchers in the game.

If the skills and power are there then his size won't be his limiting factor.

WSOPdawg
07-12-2021, 06:02 PM

I don't get the size problem for Luke. He is 5' 11" and 190lbs. He is only about an inch shorter and 15-20lbs lighter than the average catcher in the MLB. He is taller than several of them by an inch or two and he is sure to add a few pounds of muscle over the next couple years if he keeps working at it. That would put him just below the average size for a MLB catcher. It's not like he is 5' 5" or something. Where does this come from the he is too small?

But CJ Rodriguez, 5-10, 200 lb backstop from Vanderbilt was selected in the 5th round... so the argument about size is BS... just saying.