PDA

View Full Version : Football question, what is CML answer to DBs

R2Dawg
07-11-2021, 07:29 AM
jumping routes? Watching replay game now and I've not seen a counter to this from him yet. We can't keep playing into the D hands.

CadaverDawg
07-11-2021, 11:19 AM
I'm not watching a game at the moment, but in my opinion if you're going to stop guys from jumping routes, you have to prove you can beat them deep. Doesn't seem like we did that much last year. Not sure if it was by design, or that our QB didn't have confidence taking shots, or if our WR's weren't where they were supposed to be on the deep routes, or if the OL just didn't allow enough time. Probably a combo of things...but we gotta get to where we can make teams pay for jumping routes and playing a drop zone. Beat em deep, run the football effectively...that should open the crossing routes

Todd4State
07-11-2021, 12:22 PM
Don't stare down the receiver?

OLJWales
07-11-2021, 02:02 PM
Don't think Ive ever crashed as as hard after LSU game. Understand concept of man to man vs zone but not route busting and other stuff so these types of threads are greatly appreciated.

R2Dawg
07-11-2021, 03:13 PM
We have to have an answer or we are going to see the same thing again this year. Yall know what the definition of insanity is. I never saw his response all year long after watching all those int due to jumped routes.

What will CML do this year?

One answer is run the ball to keep them honest. Some deep routes but that ain't really pure air raid is it. The short routes is his running game. Run the dang ball at least some.

Lord McBuckethead
07-11-2021, 03:26 PM
Having a qb that can actually see dbs would be a good start. I swear KJ just couldn't see dbs. Only way I can understand his decision.

R2Dawg
07-11-2021, 03:32 PM
Having a qb that can actually see dbs would be a good start. I swear KJ just couldn't see dbs. Only way I can understand his decision.

All of our QBs did it in the air raid. Will been bad at it too.

What do we do?

Does CML adjust?

This in my opinion will tell what kind of season we have. More of same and we'll get more of same result. There is our season in s nutshell.

I don't care how good some individual players are.

MetEdDawg
07-11-2021, 04:00 PM
I forgot who I saw wrote this but they said we had the 3rd best WR group in conference behind UGA and Bama. In order to maximize that talent and see the improvement, we are going to have to get more consistent OL play and significantly better QB play.

We don't need a world beater at QB. We need a consistently smart decision maker. Sawyer Robertson is the world beater. But in year 2 of CML, we need someone to keep us in games by making good decisions.

BuckyIsAB****
07-11-2021, 04:05 PM
I forgot who I saw wrote this but they said we had the 3rd best WR group in conference behind UGA and Bama. In order to maximize that talent and see the improvement, we are going to have to get more consistent OL play and significantly better QB play.

We don't need a world beater at QB. We need a consistently smart decision maker. Sawyer Robertson is the world beater. But in year 2 of CML, we need someone to keep us in games by making good decisions.

Sawyer Robertson is not even close to ready. I have seen it. Believe me or not idc.

This is Will Rogers job and it will be till he leaves. The offense will come down to the OL. The rest of the pieces are there

BuckyIsAB****
07-11-2021, 04:08 PM
That wasnt the problem. The problem was drop 8 but still getting pressure and not having enough time for guys to get open against it. Thats why we threw so many swings to the RBs. It was that a sack or a pick. We were way better after 2 came in and were a way better offense after UGA.

It will work, we just have to give him time to throw and for Walley and co to get open. I dont care how many you drop if you cant get to him you cant cover for 5 seconds. I bet you we run the ball at least 25 percent this year. Or close to it. Last year we ran it about 10 till Leach took the leash off our QB

OLJWales
07-11-2021, 04:19 PM
Opposing D's dropping 8 while getting quick pressure & stopping our RB's makes my dick itch.

R2Dawg
07-11-2021, 05:14 PM
That wasnt the problem. The problem was drop 8 but still getting pressure and not having enough time for guys to get open against it. Thats why we threw so many swings to the RBs. It was that a sack or a pick. We were way better after 2 came in and were a way better offense after UGA.

It will work, we just have to give him time to throw and for Walley and co to get open. I dont care how many you drop if you cant get to him you cant cover for 5 seconds. I bet you we run the ball at least 25 percent this year. Or close to it. Last year we ran it about 10 till Leach took the leash off our QB

Problem is half our WR run 3-5 yard routes. Doesn't matter how much time QB has if route is over in 2 seconds. OL may not have been best in SEC but they gave QB time to throw many times last year but QB just held the ball forever. Idk if it is scheme, QB, WR or what but that is what happened.

coachnorm
07-11-2021, 05:25 PM
More and more programs have become match up orientated over scheme orientated in the pass game. In match up, the receiver is working on position in relationship to the defender instead of separation from him. Match up offenses use different release and footwork technique. Some air raid programs have some match up incorporated in their offenses. Alabama and Clemson are match up orientated over scheme orientated.

coachnorm
07-11-2021, 07:05 PM
In match up passing game, it is understood that there is going to be less separation and more match up domination of the receiver over the defender. Simply, there is nothing to jump? If the defender is counting the receivers steps or the quarterbacks drop, the receiver is going to aggressively kick his ass because the defender needs to fully focus on his threat to survive. In scheme the coordination of the receivers is the primary focus ie 5 work as one. In match up, the receivers are independent of each other and are focused on individual domination. The QB throws to who he is comfortable with to win position then win the catch. Have you not noticed that there are many more catches with defenders very close to receivers? This is practiced and not luck. Do receivers need separation when they are now bigger than the defensive backs covering them?

MetEdDawg
07-11-2021, 10:42 PM
Sawyer Robertson is not even close to ready. I have seen it. Believe me or not idc.

This is Will Rogers job and it will be till he leaves. The offense will come down to the OL. The rest of the pieces are there

Don't disagree. But in 2 years, I would think for most of us the expectation is Sawyer steps in and challenges for the job because of the overall package he brings to the table.

He doesn't need to play at all next year if we can help it. Needs to learn the system. But I think most everyone would agree that the tools and skill set he has gives us a higher ceiling than Will Rogers in 2-3 years. That's why I said we need a consistently smart decision maker. That's not Sawyer right now and won't be this year.

Coach34
07-11-2021, 11:14 PM
#RTGDF

Bowl Game? 30 runs/30 passes
Mizzou? 38 passes/28 runs

Offense got better the last 2 games when we ran the damn ball to keep defenses honest. That will be the case again in 2021. 50 passes to 15 runs will not end up working out for us.

OLJWales
07-11-2021, 11:41 PM
#RTGDF

Offense got better the last 2 games when we ran the damn ball to keep defenses honest. That will be the case again in 2021. 50 passes to 15 runs will not end up working out for us.

This makes sense to me cuz I can't figure out how you can't run when the D's dropping 8.

BuckyIsAB****
07-12-2021, 07:32 AM
This makes sense to me cuz I can't figure out how you can't run when the D's dropping 8.

When they are sitting in a head up and 2 4is it makes it tough. LBs just sitting and reading. Which is why you saw us start running that little quick pitch vs odd fronts.

We will be much improved on offense but it will hinge on the 5 up front how much better we are. Give him time and drop 8 doesnt matter, hand it off and get 3 or 4 more than you get 1-2

BuckyIsAB****
07-12-2021, 07:33 AM
Problem is half our WR run 3-5 yard routes. Doesn't matter how much time QB has if route is over in 2 seconds. OL may not have been best in SEC but they gave QB time to throw many times last year but QB just held the ball forever. Idk if it is scheme, QB, WR or what but that is what happened.

Thats just not true

FISHDAWG
07-12-2021, 08:27 AM
Don't think Ive ever crashed as as hard after LSU game. Understand concept of man to man vs zone but not route busting and other stuff so these types of threads are greatly appreciated.

I know this sounds crazy after a record setting performance - and in Death Valley at that, but after re-watching that game yesterday I believe Costello really didn't play that well. Pick-6, and at least one other interception, fumbles, and intentional grounding made for some sloppy play. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying it was bad play ... only what could have been if we had a QB that was capable and used to ML's offense. Will Rogers seemed to get better with playing time and I think he's a very capable QB for us ... But I still wonder what might have been

Lord McBuckethead
07-12-2021, 08:41 AM

Because all 8 have their eyes in the backfield and only have to cover one back coming out as a potential runner. Diagnose the play and then tackle that one guy. This is where jet motion would help. Auburn has made their entire career, including a national championship off of that pre-snap motion with the fastest damn player on the field as the jet sweep guy.

TrapGame
07-12-2021, 08:44 AM
#RTGDF

The offense settled in toward the end of the season. Will was making better decisions with the ball.

OLJWales
07-12-2021, 11:17 AM
Because all 8 have their eyes in the backfield and only have to cover one back coming out as a potential runner. Diagnose the play and then tackle that one guy. This is where jet motion would help. Auburn has made their entire career, including a national championship off of that pre-snap motion with the fastest damn player on the field as the jet sweep guy.

And these plays require fast pulling lineman and WR's that block, no?

R2Dawg
07-12-2021, 01:25 PM
#RTGDF

Yep it was noticeable the last two games what running the ball can do. Did we learn anything? Guess we will see.

OLJWales
07-13-2021, 09:26 PM
Bump for good conversation on what Leach's plans are to combat stuff. I think he's gonna come out with fire in his belly and a well planned scheme. He saw it and he's gonna respond / adjust likewise. Our coach hates losing as much as any coach out there and he seems to take this shit personal. I'm syked about what I'm gonna see.

Dannyripms
07-14-2021, 06:07 AM
We need to have WR to block. We could run pick plays on drop 8 all day and get the wr 10 yards. Need to run the ball more as well. Need to mix it up. Need to block better. It a whole mixture of things we need to improve on.

OLJWales
07-14-2021, 12:21 PM
We need to have WR to block. We could run pick plays on drop 8 all day and get the wr 10 yards. Need to run the ball more as well. Need to mix it up. Need to block better. It a whole mixture of things we need to improve on.

I miss Bear Wilson.

BuckyIsAB****
07-15-2021, 12:07 PM

How are you going to run pick plays vs drop 8 quarters or double cloud

R2Dawg
07-17-2021, 12:16 PM
Bump for good conversation on what Leach's plans are to combat stuff. I think he's gonna come out with fire in his belly and a well planned scheme. He saw it and he's gonna respond / adjust likewise. Our coach hates losing as much as any coach out there and he seems to take this shit personal. I'm syked about what I'm gonna see.

Hope you are right. I don't expect CML to tell the media what he is going to do, but I want to see it on the field too. No coach wants to lose even Croom and Moorhead but that don't mean much to me at this level. It is what are you gonna do? Saban changed because he hates losing more than doing his thing, does CML?

HoopsDawg
07-17-2021, 12:19 PM
Hope you are right. I don't expect CML to tell the media what he is going to do, but I want to see it on the field too. No coach wants to lose even Croom and Moorhead but that don't mean much to me at this level. It is what are you gonna do? Saban changed because he hates losing more than doing his thing, does CML?

CML it too old and too stubborn to adjust.

R2Dawg
07-17-2021, 12:25 PM
CML it too old and too stubborn to adjust.

Tend to agree, he has a 20 year track record to prove it. Those that survive in anything long term though adjust - Saban.

Will CML or will he go down swinging his sword?

OLJWales
07-18-2021, 04:24 PM
Tend to agree, he has a 20 year track record to prove it. Those that survive in anything long term though adjust - Saban.

Will CML or will he go down swinging his sword?

He will keep with his long time philosophy but I refuse to believe he doesn't know how to adapt to the technical aspects that will improve performance.

R2Dawg
07-18-2021, 05:59 PM
He will keep with his long time philosophy but I refuse to believe he doesn't know how to adapt to the technical aspects that will improve performance.

This is the drama of MSU football this year and what makes watching interesting. If he adapts, we could be a force to deal with.

OLJWales
07-18-2021, 06:43 PM
This is the drama of MSU football this year and what makes watching interesting. If he adapts, we could be a force to deal with.

Yep, this board definitely has its doomers and gloomers full of negative waves. Oh well. At least I wasn't born in China.