PDA

View Full Version : New Orleans eats

preachermatt83
07-10-2021, 05:05 PM
Overnight in new Orleans tonight. What?s the one restaurant you MUST go to if you only had one night in New Orleans. Price doesn?t matter from cheapest to most expensive. Im game for whatever.

preachermatt83
07-10-2021, 05:06 PM
I’m staying at the Hilton at riverside if that helps

SilentSteel16
07-10-2021, 06:02 PM
Not sure about supper but breakfast MUST is Court of Two Sisters…..

SilentSteel16
07-10-2021, 06:03 PM
They have a breakfast buffet that you won’t see the likes of anywhere else.

FISHDAWG
07-10-2021, 06:14 PM
I?m staying at the Hilton at riverside if that helps

Down ST Charles a bit is Herb Saint... and peppercorn seared Tuna

Bdawg
07-10-2021, 06:25 PM
Do not do antoine's. Was awful a few months ago and terrible service too. G.W Finns was pretty good. Check out the menu. We had a bad server but the meal was good. If you like a breakfast eggs benedict, I highly recommend Stanley's. The crab cake eggs benedict was excellent. It comes with two and is a pretty large serving so you can split it if you like. And it's not far at all from cafe du monde if you want beignets.

Rick Danko
07-10-2021, 06:35 PM
Cochon is awesome in my opinion. Appetizers are amazing and great selection of entrees

Skydawg1
07-10-2021, 06:39 PM
Overnight in new Orleans tonight. What?s the one restaurant you MUST go to if you only had one night in New Orleans. Price doesn?t matter from cheapest to most expensive. Im game for whatever.Are you trying to stay near your hotel, or no? NOLA is re-opened, I think. Don't go to Mulate's. Mother's may already be closed, but that's ok. GW Fins gets good reviews, Bourbon House is good. Felix's for oysters is on Bourbon. If you can get in, Commander's Palace uptown a bit, is great. New Orleans Seafood and Hamburger is good to just get your grub on. Redfish Grill is excellent, it's near GW Fins and Bourbon House. Deanies Seafood, I'd skip. Sadly, K-Pauls closed last year. It was our fave. Happy hunting!

trojandawg
07-10-2021, 06:41 PM
Atmosphere? Food type? By yourself? With family or friends? Just you and your wife?

We like going to Irenes for an evening out. The atmosphere at irenes is quiet with great food. You can stroll around for drinks afterwards.
Dickie Brennan?s used to be a great steak. I haven?t been in a long time. Seafood pretty much most places is good in New Orleans. Most places have a decent gumbo. oceana grill usually has good fried seafood.
One of the better ones a little further away is Jacques Imos in Carrollton area.

Just depends on what you want. Gumbo Shop is always busy and well known. If you just want to walk and stay down in the Canal to quarter area, GW Fins or Irenes.

Bdawg
07-10-2021, 06:46 PM
Are you trying to stay near your hotel, or no? NOLA is re-opened, I think. Don't go to Mulate's. Mother's may already be closed, but that's ok. GW Fins gets good reviews, Bourbon House is good. Felix's for oysters is on Bourbon. If you can get in, Commander's Palace uptown a bit, is great. New Orleans Seafood and Hamburger is good to just get your grub on. Redfish Grill is excellent, it's near GW Fins and Bourbon House. Deanies Seafood, I'd skip. Sadly, K-Pauls closed last year. It was our fave. Happy hunting!

Redfish grill menu looks pretty tasty to me.

preachermatt83
07-10-2021, 07:08 PM
Thanks guys!

TheLostDawg
07-10-2021, 07:15 PM
Vincent's

TheLostDawg
07-10-2021, 07:15 PM
Superior seafood then walk next door to fat Harry's

SaintDawg
07-10-2021, 07:32 PM
Mother's on Poydras. Palace Cafe on Canal.

msstate7
07-10-2021, 07:38 PM
I love the redfish at Estrella on Decatur

BeardoMSU
07-10-2021, 07:45 PM
Cochon is awesome in my opinion. Appetizers are amazing and great selection of entrees

This. And a good place for a family, too, as is Cochon Butcher next door (both owned/operated by Donald Link; someone else already mentioned Herbsaint, which is his flagship restaurant).

If you make your way to Magazine, Parasols is THE spot for po-boys. Tracy's has good food (the hamburger po-boy is choice), but it is more of bar vibe, if that ain't your thing. In the quarter, a great off the path place for dinner is EAT on Dumaine (the cochon and BBQ shrimp are amazing).

parabrave
07-10-2021, 11:09 PM
Really can't go wrong anywhere. If you like Italian There is a place call Venezias on N Carrolton headed toward City Park. 2 blocks from there is Brocatas Italian Gelato.

StoneDawg
07-11-2021, 12:35 AM
Overnight in new Orleans tonight. What?s the one restaurant you MUST go to if you only had one night in New Orleans. Price doesn?t matter from cheapest to most expensive. Im game for whatever.

Luke

lastmajordog
07-11-2021, 01:34 PM
G W Fins ...even though a large restaurant it’s menu changes daily and is an incredibly well run establishment and never had a mediocre meal there, always outstanding.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2021, 10:52 AM
Not sure about supper but breakfast MUST is Court of Two Sisters…..

My wife swears that Court of Two Sisters is the best brunch/breakfast place that you will find anywhere. I have never eaten there but she convinced me that next time we are there we will go.

OLJWales
07-12-2021, 11:58 AM
If I were rich, my 2 most favorite residences would be south FL & N.O. based on my love of history and food, there's just nothing bettern having blackened fish outdoors in the French quarter. Drago's char broiled and raw oysters. Crawfish. Lived there 7 years and I miss it mightily despite the drawbacks.

BeardoMSU
07-12-2021, 12:13 PM
If I were rich, my 2 most favorite residences would be south FL & N.O. based on my love of history and food, there's just nothing bettern having blackened fish outdoors in the French quarter. Drago's char broiled and raw oysters. Crawfish. Lived there 7 years and I miss it mightily despite the drawbacks.

New Orleans is awesome. One of my favorite places.

Johnson85
07-12-2021, 12:32 PM

All this with the caveat that I am not sure how all of these places have recovered from COVID and which places might be struggling from lack of workforce:

I would do Commander's Palace if you can get in. It's going to be a good meal and it's very traditional New Orleans.

If you're less worried about doing something traditionally new orleans, you still have lots of great restaurants to choose from.

GW Fins, Restaurant August, Arnauds are all good high end restaurants.

A lot of people swear by Galatoire's. I probably need to give it another chance but there are so many good options it's hard to give a second chance in new orleans.

None of those are going to be the best bang for your buck, but you are going to pay a premium for high end staples in a tourist town like New Orleans.

BeardoMSU
07-12-2021, 02:12 PM
All this with the caveat that I am not sure how all of these places have recovered from COVID and which places might be struggling from lack of workforce:

I would do Commander's Palace if you can get in.

Absolutely. Commander's Palace for a weekday lunch is the way to go, though...25 cent martinis. Get the "Commanders Martini", up with a twist (you're welcome).

CP is not only one of the best fine dining places in New Orleans (and historically important, nationally), it's also one of the best values...the quality of the food, the portions, the service, etc.

My father-in-law is now passed away, but he retired in New Orleans and bought a house in the Garden District literally around the corner from CP, so we would eat there every time we visited. Easily my favorite restaurant in town.

preachermatt83
07-12-2021, 05:34 PM

Dragos chair broiled oysters tasted like they had been cooked in scortched ashes.

Kingbarkus
07-13-2021, 12:22 AM
GW Fins is good. Try Peche. It?s in the area near the Warehouse District.