PDA

View Full Version : Don't shoot the messenger and no idea if it is true

RC3
07-08-2021, 09:00 PM
but I heard today that there are some MSU fans who had been in Omaha that have returned home and are now finding themselves ill with COVID.
Yall heard about anyone fitting into this category?

Sucks if true, because I really felt like things were back to normal while there. Big crowds, lots of hugs and screaming. It felt like a real sporting event for the first time, in a long time.
Maybe this was all just a bad rumor or it is being overblown.
I am mainly curious if you have heard of any cases from those who were there?

BrunswickDawg
07-08-2021, 09:12 PM
When only 31% of the state is fully vaxxed.....

https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1413308827315884033?s=21

RC3
07-08-2021, 09:22 PM

Supposedly the guys I heard about had all been vaccinated but were pretty damned sick right now. Hell I know a relatively healthy 46 year old that died yesterday from a short battle with Covid. Shit is real. I?m not saying to shut the world down by any stretch of the imagination but it?s obviously still out there and still effecting lives

STATEBALLIN
07-08-2021, 09:32 PM
I mean. An entire team was removed from
Competition because of the virus. So no it hasn?t gone away but no one said it did.

SouthMSDog
07-08-2021, 09:33 PM
but I heard today that there are some MSU fans who had been in Omaha that have returned home and are now finding themselves ill with COVID.

Sucks if true, because I really felt like things were back to normal while there. Big crowds, lots of hugs and screaming. It felt like a real sporting event for the first time, in a long time.

I am unvaccinated, went to all 3 games and haven?t experienced a symptom. Same for a buddy who went with me. I guess it?s possible I?m asymptomatic, but I?m not going to go get tested without a single symptom. Would?ve never done that before 2020 when I could?ve been asymptomatic with any other infectious disease.

captaindog
07-08-2021, 09:34 PM

Our world would be so much better if we did not have social media and 24 hour news cycles.

RC3
07-08-2021, 09:35 PM
I am unvaccinated, went to all 3 games and haven?t experienced a symptom. Same for a buddy who went with me. I guess it?s possible I?m asymptomatic, but I?m not going to go get tested without a single symptom. Would?ve never done that before 2020 when I could?ve been asymptomatic with any other infectious disease.

Seems reasonable to me. If you aren?t sick, you aren?t sick, right? No reason to get tested for Covid I wouldn?t think.
And to the above poster, I realize that a team was removed from the tournament. And that it?s still out there.
I?m just hopeful we have mostly put it all behind us

msstate7
07-08-2021, 09:42 PM
Guess you might need a 3rd shot soon...

https://apnews.com/article/europe-coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-34c3f2536747a7c08980d7359a8de70c

captaindog
07-08-2021, 09:48 PM

https://apnews.com/article/europe-coronavirus-pandemic-science-health-34c3f2536747a7c08980d7359a8de70c

I could see the shots being given similar to a flu shot on an annual basis.

confucius say
07-08-2021, 10:06 PM
I was there for all 3 games. Hugged and high fived hundreds. Was at the team hotel where we were all on top of each other like ants. Hit the bars and restaurants. Unvaccinated. Nobody who went in our crew is sick.

Commercecomet24
07-08-2021, 10:26 PM
Between friends and family I know 100 or so that went, most there for the whole run and not a one with covid.

RezDog7
07-08-2021, 10:43 PM

My wife is recovering from Covid now but she wasn't in Omaha. So far, the rest of the family is fine.

DownwardDawg
07-08-2021, 11:01 PM
Our world would be so much better if we did not have social media and 24 hour news cycles.

This is the only thing I believe in this entire post you replied to. Your sentence.

OLJWales
07-08-2021, 11:13 PM
I'm 58 , eat a South Beach diet and usually get in 50 push ups a day. My unhealthy vice is vodka but hadn't had the flu in over 10 yrs and never a flu shot. This Covid thing has "never let a crisis go to waste" aspect and I don't take too kindly being a government guinea pig.

SailingDawg
07-09-2021, 06:09 AM
I'm 58 , eat a South Beach diet and usually get in 50 push ups a day. My unhealthy vice is vodka but hadn't had the flu in over 10 yrs and never a flu shot. This Covid thing has "never let a crisis go to waste" aspect and I don't take too kindly being a government guinea pig.

Yep, 600,000 people pretended to die and a million more sick just do the government can pull one over on you.

Jacknut
07-09-2021, 06:39 AM
Yep, 600,000 people pretended to die and a million more sick just do the government can pull one over on you.

He didn't say that. Some people are leery of a vaccine that was rushed through production and is still not approved by the FDA. I'm vaccinated, but I'll defend anyone's right if they don't want it.

Maroonthirteen
07-09-2021, 07:05 AM
I wasn't going to respond to this.... but since someone has to Democrat ....

Yes. I have seen a Facebook post by a State fan. A guy i semi know. He went to Omaha. He posted he got covid. Didn't say when or where he got the virus but posted this after his trip. He posted that he is fully vaccinated.

Dolphus Raymond
07-09-2021, 07:28 AM
If you catch COVID now, buy the ticket take the ride. If the vaccination rate does not improve, we will go through hell again this fall and winter.

Jack Lambert
07-09-2021, 07:42 AM

You can still catch it.

TigerMomofaDawg
07-09-2021, 07:48 AM
My daughter (age 20) and I (age 48) were both in Omaha for the championship series. We are both fully vaccinated and have had zero Covid symptoms. We were in crowded areas for much of the time we were in Omaha.

However, it would not surprise me that people are catching Covid from the CWS. It was crowded, and most Mississippians still are not vaccinated. I have zero concerns for my own health. Even if I catch it, it will likely be a mild case since I am vaccinated. My daughter caught Covid last summer before vaccines were available, and it was a terrible case. She had to get breathing treatments, and it took months for her lungs to recover, but she does have asthma as an underlying condition. I would not wish Covid on anyone.

chef dixon
07-09-2021, 07:59 AM
There's always going to be a dick swinging contest about how people aren't vaccinated, feel just fine, and ain't scared of covid. At the end of the day the risk is still low to get very sick or die, but some people will, especially in less vaccinated areas. Data seems to be supporting this. It probably won't affect you personally, but I never understand how it's some proud rallying call.

msstate7
07-09-2021, 08:04 AM
There's always going to be a dick swinging contest about how people aren't vaccinated, feel just fine, and ain't scared of covid. At the end of the day the risk is still low to get very sick or die, but some people will, especially in less vaccinated areas. Data seems to be supporting this. It probably won't affect you personally, but I never understand how it's some proud rallying call.

I would think it's mostly bc a considerable portion of the vaccinated call them stupid, which puts them on the defensive.

If you're low risk, I wouldn't get it either. If you're medium to high risk, yeah sure, get it.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 08:16 AM
I would think it's mostly bc a considerable portion of the vaccinated call them stupid, which puts them on the defensive.

If you're low risk, I wouldn't get it either. If you're medium to high risk, yeah sure, get it.

This is a big factor in it. People who aren't vaxxed see people who are posting their vaccination cards all over social media and, whether it's meant this way or not, they take it as virtue signaling. So in response you see people puff their chest about how their not vaxxed and nothing is going to happen to them. Personally, I'm not vaxxed because I'm low risk and don't see a need for it. My family is about 75/25 vaxxed to unvaxxed. However, it's not a contentious issue. No one has said anything other than when they were getting it.

DownwardDawg
07-09-2021, 08:16 AM

I see the opposite. People at work telling me I'm crazy for getting the vaccine. They laugh about it.
My unvaccinated extremely healthy fitness junkie 21 year old just fought through it. It was the sickest he's ever been in his life. Me and my wife were with him constantly and all up in his space before we found out for certain it was COVID. Neither of us got sick. We're both vaccinated.

Cowbell
07-09-2021, 08:18 AM
You mean an event where 25k met daily for two weeks resulted in a sickness outbreak? I bet there was a stomach bug with a group and a flu bug with a group as well. There was also probably a car wreck for some family to or from the event at some point.
We have to get a grip...

chef dixon
07-09-2021, 08:22 AM

I get that's some of human nature to respond that way. It sucks in general because the vaccine obviously is helping, and this is going to make some people never get it "just because." I'm for people making their own choice, and I think by now there's plenty of data to make an informed instead of emotional choice.

BiscuitEater
07-09-2021, 08:27 AM

So, they flat out lied when they said TWO shots would protect you. Not me .. especially when the drug companies have 'zero' liability and make big bucks promoting them.

Why not FOUR shots?

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 08:30 AM
So, they flat out lied when they said TWO shots would protect you. Not me .. especially when the drug companies have 'zero' liability and make big bucks promoting them.

Why not FOUR shots?

That's unfortunately where it's headed. Like others have stated it seems the endgame is for this to be like a flu shot and you have to get it every year.

SouthMSDog
07-09-2021, 08:41 AM
I get that's some of human nature to respond that way. It sucks in general because the vaccine obviously is helping, and this is going to make some people never get it "just because." I'm for people making their own choice, and I think by now there's plenty of data to make an informed instead of emotional choice.

I agree with you that there is plenty of data to support that the vaccine works in helping to deter COVID - I'm not sure many would even make an argument to the contrary. However, we haven't had enough time to determine what the long term effects of the vaccine might be (or COVID for that matter). I choose not to get the vaccine because I am healthy, under 40 yrs old and don't have any underlying issues. Additionally, all of my grandparents have passed away and there are no elderly or sick people in my life that I come in contact with regularly. It seems that symptoms of COVID for people in my demographic are generally very mild and turn out to be more of a nuisance than a crippling illness. If it is a deal where people of certain blood types are affected differently, well, my dad (he and I are same blood type) had it and was asymptomatic. Combine all of that and, for me, the benefits of the vaccine don't outweigh my irrational fear of needles.

KOdawg1
07-09-2021, 08:56 AM
I'm fully vaccinated, but I respect the decision for those who aren't. That's completely up to you and it should be.

However, don't get mad or upset if a variant causes an outbreak and effects our lives and possibly MSU sports again.

chef dixon
07-09-2021, 08:58 AM
I agree with you that there is plenty of data to support that the vaccine works in helping to deter COVID - I'm not sure many would even make an argument to the contrary. However, we haven't had enough time to determine what the long term effects of the vaccine might be (or COVID for that matter). I choose not to get the vaccine because I am healthy, under 40 yrs old and don't have any underlying issues. Additionally, all of my grandparents have passed away and there are no elderly or sick people in my life that I come in contact with regularly. It seems that symptoms of COVID for people in my demographic are generally very mild and turn out to be more of a nuisance than a crippling illness. If it is a deal where people of certain blood types are affected differently, well, my dad (he and I are same blood type) had it and was asymptomatic. Combine all of that and, for me, the benefits of the vaccine don't outweigh my irrational fear of needles.

I hear you. Again it's a personal choice. To me the long term risks of the vaccine are not any less clear than long term risks of even a mild covid case itself. Overall risk of long term bad things is low we have to assume to this point, but we do lack data. The vaccine is really the reason we were able to pack out Omaha to begin with. I hope it holds over time and enough people have gotten it to keep this thing at low levels.

msstate7
07-09-2021, 09:01 AM
The 3rd shot is confusing me. It's being reported that the vaccine is highly effective, and the numbers support that. It's also being reported that the vaccine is highly effective against the delta variant. What is the 3rd booster for?

WinningIsRelentless
07-09-2021, 09:07 AM
I hear you. Again it's a personal choice. To me the long term risks of the vaccine are not any less clear than long term risks of even a mild covid case itself. Overall risk of long term bad things is low we have to assume to this point, but we do lack data. The vaccine is really the reason we were able to pack out Omaha to begin with. I hope it holds over time and enough people have gotten it to keep this thing at low levels.

Unfortunately we are starting to see a lot more double infections and break thru cases with Delta. Apparently it?s affecting a different spike protein than original covid. The onset is a lot quicker and the downturn is a lot quicker as well. Time will tell.

Dawgology
07-09-2021, 09:12 AM
The 3rd shot is confusing me. It's being reported that the vaccine is highly effective, and the numbers support that. It's also being reported that the vaccine is highly effective against the delta variant. What is the 3rd booster for?

According to the article I read this morning (NBC news) the booster shot is being developed as an ?in case needed? thing and as of right now the CDC and every other health agency is saying it?s not required and that if you are fully vaccinated then you are protected from the Delta variant. It?s better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them. That?s good planning.

RC3
07-09-2021, 09:27 AM
You mean an event where 25k met daily for two weeks resulted in a sickness outbreak? I bet there was a stomach bug with a group and a flu bug with a group as well. There was also probably a car wreck for some family to or from the event at some point.
We have to get a grip...

Are you really trying to compare Covid with the stomach bug?
How many people do you know that have died or been hospitalized in the last 18 months from the stomach bug?
Answer that and then ask yourself how many people you know that have died or been hospitalized with Covid.
I agree though that some people need to get a grip on reality. Also as I said previously, I?m certainly no advocate for shutting the world down again or anything of the sort but it doesn?t mean that I don?t see the reality of what Covid is

TigerMomofaDawg
07-09-2021, 09:40 AM
I'm fully vaccinated, but I respect the decision for those who aren't. That's completely up to you and it should be.

However, don't get mad or upset if a variant causes an outbreak and effects our lives and possibly MSU sports again.

I agree 100% with the first part. I chose to get vaccinated, and I respect the right of each person to make that choice for himself or herself.

I do not think that we should ever return to shutdowns or restrictions, though. We have a tool at our disposal that allows people to protect themselves if they so choose?the vaccine. I say let things be fully open and let the chips fall where they may. Those who choose to remain unvaccinated know the risks and have accepted them. That is their choice.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-09-2021, 09:55 AM
Cigarettes have killed a lot more people than Covid ever will, but people still smoke.

RC3
07-09-2021, 10:02 AM
Cigarettes have killed a lot more people than Covid ever will, but people still smoke.

so what you're saying is, people do dumb stuff that negatively affects their health???
such as smoking. such as refusing to take a vaccine despite the fact that it appears to be a much better option that dying from covid...
We know smoking is bad and will likely eventually kill you. We know Covid can kill you. People make bad health decisions every single day.

brokennotfractured
07-09-2021, 10:12 AM
3 billion people have been given the vaccine with virtually no problems at all yet you choose to not get vaccinated because of possible side effects? While knowing that millions of people have died and millions of more lives ruined from the side effects of covid. I can not wrap my head around this. I'm not a democrat. I'm an ER physician that has seen the horrors of covid. I honestly don't care if you get vaccinated or not but don't bury your head in the sand and think this is a "never let a crisis go to waste" type event. Complete ignorance.

Dolphus Raymond
07-09-2021, 10:23 AM
Total and complete ignorance. COVID has killed over 600k Americans and 4 million worldwide yet people continue to avoid taking the vaccine. All the while the infection rate continues to climb in our state. Over 1000 new cases in the past three days. If your pride is standing between you and taking the vaccine, take the shot and don?t tell anyone you did. After the smoke clears, your loved ones will thank you.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 10:23 AM
If you catch COVID now, buy the ticket take the ride. If the vaccination rate does not improve, we will go through hell again this fall and winter.

Everybody I know who has gotten covid this summer is vaccinated

confucius say
07-09-2021, 10:28 AM

It's already doing that. Among the vaccinated. The majority of the 8 nc state players who tested positive were vaccinated.

I do agree with you that is a personal choice. I support getting vaccinated if that is what is right for you.

Johnson85
07-09-2021, 10:33 AM
3 billion people have been given the vaccine with virtually no problems at all yet you choose to not get vaccinated because of possible side effects? While knowing that millions of people have died and millions of more lives ruined from the side effects of covid. I can not wrap my head around this. I'm not a democrat. I'm an ER physician that has seen the horrors of covid. I honestly don't care if you get vaccinated or not but don't bury your head in the sand and think this is a "never let a crisis go to waste" type event. Complete ignorance.

The fact that politicians are exploiting it is not incompatible with it being a real crisis. While there are certainly politicians and bureaucrats trying to do the best they can with the information they have, that is not what has dominated our policy decisions w/r/t covid.

And you can criticize people all you want, but we need credible institutions with credible leaders for instances like this. Not everybody is going to be able to do their own research. Unfortunately, we don't have either so we're going to end up muddling through this in a very suboptimal manner.

Cowbell
07-09-2021, 10:38 AM

Money

chef dixon
07-09-2021, 10:39 AM
The fact that politicians are exploiting it is not incompatible with it being a real crisis. While there are certainly politicians and bureaucrats trying to do the best they can with the information they have, that is not what has dominated our policy decisions w/r/t covid.

And you can criticize people all you want, but we need credible institutions with credible leaders for instances like this. Not everybody is going to be able to do their own research. Unfortunately, we don't have either so we're going to end up muddling through this in a very suboptimal manner.

Medical journals, CDC, etc weren't that controversial before 2020. There's plenty of good info out there that medical professionals trust. Most people are just emotionally biased based on who they hear it from

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 10:45 AM

It's basically a choice WHICH government you want to be a guinea pig for. Take the vaccine and you are one for the US (at VERY low risk) or don't take it and you choose to be one for China. Like it or not that is your choice. I take it you chose China.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 10:46 AM
He didn't say that. Some people are leery of a vaccine that was rushed through production and is still not approved by the FDA. I'm vaccinated, but I'll defend anyone's right if they don't want it.

YES, that is EXACTLY what he said.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 10:50 AM

Why not FOUR shots?

No they didn't. They never said that at all. They have said from the very beginning that boosters or an annual shot similar to the flu shot would be needed. Good grief.

Commercecomet24
07-09-2021, 10:51 AM
Hey guys let's get back to the natty talk, it was a lot more fun than this. We spend almost a year with the covid thread, lol!

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 10:51 AM
Medical journals, CDC, etc weren't that controversial before 2020. There's plenty of good info out there that medical professionals trust. Most people are just emotionally biased based on who they hear it from

Exactly. How this became political I will NEVER understand.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 10:52 AM
It's already doing that. Among the vaccinated. The majority of the 8 nc state players who tested positive were vaccinated.

I do agree with you that is a personal choice. I support getting vaccinated if that is what is right for you.

Then you support almost everyone being vaccinated. There are VERY few legitimate reasons not to get this.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 10:54 AM

Bravo sir.

msstate7
07-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Then you support almost everyone being vaccinated. There are VERY few legitimate reasons not to get this.

For young adults and kids, I think there's few reasons to get it. For mid-adults there's a real decision. For older people and preexisting conditions, there is no decision, get it.

RezDog7
07-09-2021, 10:57 AM
so what you're saying is, people do dumb stuff that negatively affects their health???
such as smoking. such as refusing to take a vaccine despite the fact that it appears to be a much better option that dying from covid...
We know smoking is bad and will likely eventually kill you. We know Covid can kill you. People make bad health decisions every single day.

I had Covid and didn't die. I also don't plan to take the vaccine. People get sick. Some might die. Vaccines don't determine who lives and who dies. What's your point?

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 10:58 AM
Hey guys let's get back to the natty talk, it was a lot more fun than this. We spend almost a year with the covid thread, lol!

Unfortunately the numbers don't lie. We are heading into another surge with all that means. The sad thing is this one was mostly preventable. We had a choice this time. People chose to let this one happen. There are still around 1/4 of the over 65s not vaccinated in Mississippi. One more thing: Everyone I know that actually has to treat COVID is saying that this time it's affecting WAY more younger people, and the younger people are getting much sicker. Get your damn shots. It isn't some kind of political statement.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 11:00 AM
I had Covid and didn't die. I also don't plan to take the vaccine. People get sick. Some might die. Vaccines don't determine who lives and who dies. What's your point?

Numbers don't lie. If you are vaccinated and you get it you are a heck of a lot less likely to die than if you aren't vaccinated. It also ain't all about dying. I know several people who will never be the same after getting it.

Dolphus Raymond
07-09-2021, 11:02 AM
Oh, I understand how and why it became political. When Populism rears it?s ugly head, situations like this become inevitable. Fifty years from now, this dynamic will be the topic of several dissertations.
See ?The Dipping Vat War?.

Liverpooldawg
For young adults and kids, I think there's few reasons to get it. For mid-adults there's a real decision. For older people and preexisting conditions, there is no decision, get it.

I have a friend whose 28 year old daughter died from it.

Quaoarsking

You might spread it to someone else. That was reason enough for me to get it back in March. The vaccine dramatically reduces the chances of that.

Also, I don't want to have to take a couple weeks off work, which is what I'd have to do if I ever caught the disease, regardless of how mild and survivable it would likely be in my age group. I bank my time off to use for fun things.

Commercecomet24
07-09-2021, 11:07 AM
Unfortunately the numbers don't lie. We are heading into another surge with all that means. The sad thing is this one was mostly preventable. We had a choice this time. People chose to let this one happen. There are still around 1/4 of the over 65s not vaccinated in Mississippi. One more thing: Everyone I know that actually has to treat COVID is saying that this time it's affecting WAY more younger people, and the younger people are getting much sicker. Get your damn shots. It isn't some kind of political statement.

Wow, just wow. I'm not making any kind of political statement. I'm saying we've had enough covid discussions.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 11:10 AM
Numbers don't lie. If you are vaccinated and you get it you are a heck of a lot less likely to die than if you aren't vaccinated. It also ain't all about dying. I know several people who will never be the same after getting it.

Didn't you swear up and down that there was no way we'd have a college football season? Since you responded with a completely off the wall statement I decided I would too.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 11:13 AM
Let me sum this up so we can quit talking about this:

If you got the vaccine, good for you. You made a decision you were comfortable with and went about your life.

If you didn't get the vaccine, good for you. You made a decision you were comfortable with and went about your life.

msstate7
07-09-2021, 11:15 AM

If you got the vaccine, good for you. You made a decision you were comfortable with and went about your life.

If you didn't get the vaccine, good for you. You made a decision you were comfortable with and went about your life.

This is how it should be, but there's all too few who can respect others decisions. For the vast majority, if I got, you should get, and if I didn't get it, you shouldn't either.

Commercecomet24
07-09-2021, 11:17 AM

This is how it should be, but because everyone has a forum now, they have to try and force their decisions on everyone else, both sides of this.

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 11:19 AM

Thanks liver. I no rarely watch news these days and will take this under consideration.

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 11:19 AM

It's not a purely personal choice when it affects others. I would be devastated and inconsolable if someone died from COVID after catching it from me. It wouldn't matter if it was a stranger, it wouldn't matter if they were vaccinated or not. By taking the vaccine, I've done what I can to minimize the chance that that happens.

Remember that everyone who dies from COVID got it from someone, and in almost all cases, the dying person and the person who gave it to them were both unvaccinated.

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 11:23 AM
I think we can all agree that if you're the type of person who likes to sleep around, it's a good idea to wear a condom, even though they don't literally bring the chance of pregnancy and STDs down to 0%.

And when you do, you're not just protecting yourself, you're protecting the next person you sleep with, the next person she sleeps with, and on down the chain, by preventing future outbreaks, or at least dramatically reducing them.

The same principle applies to COVID vaccination.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 11:27 AM
It's not a purely personal choice when it affects others. I would be devastated and inconsolable if someone died from COVID after catching it from me. It wouldn't matter if it was a stranger, it wouldn't matter if they were vaccinated or not. By taking the vaccine, I've done what I can to minimize the chance that that happens.

Remember that everyone who dies from COVID got it from someone, and in almost all cases, the dying person and the person who gave it to them were both unvaccinated.

So both people knew the risks and decided to not take it......sounds like they made a personal choice and chose to live with the potential consequences. Which is exactly how it should be.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 11:29 AM
I think we can all agree that if you're the type of person who likes to sleep around, it's a good idea to wear a condom, even though they don't literally bring the chance of pregnancy and STDs down to 0%.

And when you do, you're not just protecting yourself, you're protecting the next person you sleep with, the next person she sleeps with, and on down the chain, by preventing future outbreaks, or at least dramatically reducing them.

Ahh good to know that I'm basically spreading syphilis by not getting the vaccine.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 11:30 AM

Is that last part still true? I really hope so. Bc 2/3 of adults are vaccinated, and half of all people are vaccinated. So If vaccinated persons aren't spreading it like you say then the country should be much better off this go round.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 11:32 AM

But condoms are 99% effective. Are you saying the vaccine is 99% effective in preventing one from spreading or contracting covid?

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 11:40 AM
But condoms are 99% effective. Are you saying the vaccine is 99% effective in preventing one from spreading or contracting covid?

I don't know the exact number on either, but they are both extremely effective in preventing transmission.

Haven't you seen how dramatically cases and deaths have fallen since January?

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 11:42 AM
Is that last part still true? I really hope so. Bc 2/3 of adults are vaccinated, and half of all people are vaccinated. So If vaccinated persons aren't spreading it like you say then the country should be much better off this go round.

Yes. Unless there's been another in the last few days since I last verified the stat, there has been only 1 COVID death in Mississippi from a vaccinated person. Every single other one since March could have been prevented, or at least it's extremely likely that it could have been. And that's prevented either from the now-deceased person getting the vaccine OR from the person who gave it to them getting it.

How do you think their families feel knowing that?

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 11:43 AM
So both people knew the risks and decided to not take it......sounds like they made a personal choice and chose to live with the potential consequences. Which is exactly how it should be.

I just fundamentally disagree with this. I don't want anyone dying a preventable death, even if they "knew the risks" (which I find dubious in a lot of cases)

confucius say
07-09-2021, 11:45 AM
I don't know the exact number on either, but they are both extremely effective in preventing transmission.

Haven't you seen how dramatically cases and deaths have fallen since January?

If the vaccine is that effective, that may make me rethink getting it.

The cases peaked January 12 and started tanking through January and February, long before the vaccine took hold. I do think the vaccine helped though.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 11:48 AM
Yes. Unless there's been another in the last few days since I last verified the stat, there has been only 1 COVID death in Mississippi from a vaccinated person. Every single other one since March could have been prevented, or at least it's extremely likely that it could have been. And that's prevented either from the now-deceased person getting the vaccine OR from the person who gave it to them getting it.

How do you think their families feel knowing that?

Well that's good news. If vaccinated persons can't spread the delta variant, case numbers should not get out of hand considering how many people are vaccinated. Basically, a vaccinated person who comes into contact with it would act like a barrier, preventing further spread.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Delete this shit

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 11:51 AM
I just fundamentally disagree with this. I don't want anyone dying a preventable death, even if they "knew the risks" (which I find dubious in a lot of cases)

So you want forced vaccinations? I respectfully disagree with your opinion on it, but hey it's your opinion. You've got just as much a right to is as I have to mine.

SailingDawg
07-09-2021, 11:55 AM

No it?s not how it should be. It should be that we trust the scientists and get vaccinated so we don?t put others in danger. Period.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2021, 11:57 AM
We have to get a grip...

Exactly. This is 100 percent on the media and people spending too much time on Twitter, FB, IG

oldjoedawg
07-09-2021, 11:58 AM

The booster is for old folks like me (80+..recovered from prostate cancer and a heart attack), or for those whose immune systems are compromised...at least that is what I have gathered from reading/hearing reports from actual doctors. Should be no need for it for all who are in good health.

RC3
07-09-2021, 11:59 AM
Delete this shit
it has certainly gone off the rails. I guess that was predictable but it was not the original purpose. There were a lot of us there in Omaha at an MSU sporting event and if this was an issue people would probably want to be made aware. At least one person has chimed in here that they know someone who came down with Covid after their trip. I know of several others. Luckily my group I was with all appear to be healthy though one said he felt hungover for a few days (he was probably actually just hungover for a few days lol).

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-09-2021, 12:01 PM
I could see the shots being given similar to a flu shot on an annual basis.

It's not an if. It will be an annual vaccination going forward.

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 12:06 PM
it has certainly gone off the rails. I guess that was predictable but it was not the original purpose. There were a lot of us there in Omaha at an MSU sporting event and if this was an issue people would probably want to be made aware. At least one person has chimed in here that they know someone who came down with Covid after their trip. I know of several others. Luckily my group I was with all appear to be healthy though one said he felt hungover for a few days (he was probably actually just hungover for a few days lol).

Getting back to the original topic, I've seen a few posts where people said they were sick but they tested negative for COVID and flu.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-09-2021, 12:10 PM

What about personal responsibility? If you are at risk, you should get the vaccine to protect yourself. Forgive me if I don't get the vaccine to protect those that should have the vaccine because they are high risk. That's not my responsibility. Lol at comparing condoms to a "vaccine".

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 12:11 PM
So you want forced vaccinations? I respectfully disagree with your opinion on it, but hey it's your opinion. You've got just as much a right to is as I have to mine.

No, I think forcing it would be counterproductive, but we should align incentives, like paying people to take it, and requiring vaccination at mass events, or reaching out personally to unvaccinated people and offer to bring the shots by their house free of charge.

And obviously 45 needs to cut an ad encouraging people to get it. Most of the "vaccine hesitant" people love him and would go get it if he told them to. "I alone created this vaccine just for you, and it's time we make America great again by making America well again!"

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 12:13 PM
What about personal responsibility? If you are at risk, you should get the vaccine to protect yourself. Forgive me if I don't get the vaccine to protect those that should have the vaccine because they are high risk. That's not my responsibility. Lol at comparing condoms to a "vaccine".

It is absolutely your responsibility to look out for others in addition to yourself.

Commercecomet24
07-09-2021, 12:16 PM
Delete this shit

Best post in this thread.

RC3
07-09-2021, 12:16 PM
No, I think forcing it would be counterproductive, but we should align incentives, like paying people to take it, and requiring vaccination at mass events, or reaching out personally to unvaccinated people and offer to bring the shots by their house free of charge.

And obviously 45 needs to cut an ad encouraging people to get it. Most of the "vaccine hesitant" people love him and would go get it if he told them to. "I alone created this vaccine just for you, and it's time we make America great again by making America well again!"

Let me be clear that I am not advocating for this but the simplest way to encourage the public to get vaxxed, if that was the goal, would be for the insurance companies to be allowed to refuse coverage for covid related expenses for anyone that chose not to get a vaccination without a valid health exemption.

RezDog7
07-09-2021, 12:18 PM
I have a friend whose 28 year old daughter died from it.

But I thought all we had to do was shut down for two weeks, or wear mask or not see people for a year. It never stops. Hey dude, nobody said covid isn't real, but it's a virus, all this shit we've done and it still hasn't stopped it.

SailingDawg
07-09-2021, 12:19 PM
But I thought all we had to do was shut down for two weeks, or wear mask or not see people for a year. It never stops. Hey dude, nobody said covid isn't real, but it's a virus, all this shit we've done and it still hasn't stopped it.

31% Vaccinated in Mississippi isn't "all this shit we've done"

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 12:19 PM

Pay people ? Homeless will be lining up weekly.

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 12:22 PM

Vaccines alone have saved nearly 300,000 American lives. Imagine how many it would be if everyone else did their part.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/562175-researchers-estimate-covid-19-vaccines-have-saved-over

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 12:31 PM
Vaccines alone have saved nearly 300,000 American lives. Imagine how many it would be to everyone else did their part.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/public-global-health/562175-researchers-estimate-covid-19-vaccines-have-saved-over

I've seen too many credible articles showing altered stats. People like Dr Fauci create skeptics.

DownwardDawg
07-09-2021, 12:33 PM
Everybody I know who has gotten covid this summer is vaccinated

And to give the opposite view, not a single person i know that has contracted the virus was vaccinated. The family that we ended up getting exposed from (so we think) didn't get vaccinated and they ended up in the hospital.

viverlibre
07-09-2021, 12:37 PM
Pay people ? Homeless will be lining up weekly.

They should have tied the stimulus to getting vaccinated. There'd be a 90% vaccination rate. I didn't get a stimmy and am not vaccinated, but for a $1200 check, I'll take the jab.

Dawgology
07-09-2021, 12:37 PM
I got Covid before I got the vaccine. Both sucked. What made up my mind was knowing that getting the vaccine would keep me from getting as sick with Covid if I got it again and the knowledge that it would help me NOT pass Covid on to someone it might greatly harm. At the end of the day we that are Christians are called to care for and love our fellow humans. I could not in good conscience and following the teachings of Christ willfully decide to avoid a vaccine that would help me keep others safe. It was that simple for me.

chef dixon
07-09-2021, 12:40 PM
Everyone has the right to choose what they want to do. But with that said it will be increasingly harder to show sympathy for the ones getting very sick and dying that are unvaccinated. I'm comfortable with people taking their own risk, but it will suck if it allows further outbreaks and chances for mutations to new variants that the vaccine does not work against. Then if events start getting cancelled or businesses start changing policies (not to mention more people dying) again there will be a whole lotta bitching.

Dawgfan77
07-09-2021, 12:41 PM
This thread was ok til Liverpool came up with his made up stories and theory's. He is still in his basement getting excited about this new thread and then variants Dude is a propaganda machine and gets off on these Covid threads. Notice how he has been absent til now. Called him out on 247 and he disappeared .

Did y'all hear we won a Natty???

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-09-2021, 12:45 PM
Let me be clear that I am not advocating for this but the simplest way to encourage the public to get vaxxed, if that was the goal, would be for the insurance companies to be allowed to refuse coverage for covid related expenses for anyone that chose not to get a vaccination without a valid health exemption.

Can we do this for birth control too?

Commercecomet24
07-09-2021, 12:45 PM
This thread was ok til Liverpool came up with his made up stories and theory's. He is still in his basement getting excited about this new thread and then variants Dude is a propaganda machine and gets off on these Covid threads. Notice how he has been absent til now. Called him out on 247 and he disappeared .

Hey never let winning a national championship(our first by the way), get in the way of a good covid thread.

DawgNsuds
07-09-2021, 12:47 PM

and every study I've seen shows that those that have had COVID have equal or better immunity than those vaccinated. The asterisk that I've seen is that they don't know for how long (as with the vaccine) . I'm over 50, which in some respects puts me in a high risk group by numbers, but have VO2 Max of 53, which puts me in fitness age of a fit 20 year-old. My COVID was loss of taste and smell and a slight fever. all of this to say, that there are individual circumstances that effect peoples decision.

RC3
07-09-2021, 12:50 PM
Can we do this for birth control too?

i suspect most people with private health insurance aren't having too many babies they can't afford to have; but you bring up an interesting point. My proposal would do nothing to encourage poor uneducated white people living off of the gov't teet to get their vaccines

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Everyone has the right to choose what they want to do. But with that said it will be increasingly harder to show sympathy for the ones getting very sick and dying that are unvaccinated. I'm comfortable with people taking their own risk, but it will suck if it allows further outbreaks and chances for mutations to new variants that the vaccine does not work against. Then if events start getting cancelled or businesses start changing policies (not to mention more people dying) again there will be a whole lotta bitching.

Harder to show sympathy for unvaccinated lol? What demographic has the lowest vaccination rate? Do you know why? I show a little sympathy for these people who are hesitant.

I guess we should stop showing sympathy and concern for victims of drive by shootings or gang related violence . I mean if they wouldn't put themselves in that environment then they wouldn't get shot, right?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-09-2021, 12:58 PM
i suspect most people with private health insurance aren't having too many babies they can't afford to have; but you bring up an interesting point. My proposal would do nothing to encourage poor uneducated white people living off of the gov't teet to get their vaccines

Why do you have to mention race? If you've ever worked in the delta, poor doesn't have a color. There's trash in all races.

Dawgology
07-09-2021, 01:06 PM
Harder to show sympathy for unvaccinated lol? What demographic has the lowest vaccination rate? Do you know why? I show a little sympathy for these people who are hesitant.

I guess we should stop showing sympathy and concern for victims of drive by shootings or gang related violence . I mean if they wouldn't put themselves in that environment then they wouldn't get shot, right?

The vaccination is free and they will actually come to your house and give it to you if you can?t drive. There is no excuse. Being a minority or ?poor? is just an excuse at this point to remain a victim.

chef dixon
07-09-2021, 01:10 PM

Exact same thing

Johnson85
07-09-2021, 01:17 PM

Not sure about medical journals, but there have been a lot of academic and scientific journals that used to be respectable that no longer are (or maybe more accurately, are willing to ignore traditional standards when it comes to the right pet issues). And while I'd like to think the medical profession as a whole is full of competent doctors with integrity, there are enough out there that aren't that get wide circulation in news stories (e.g. https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/05/health/health-care-open-letter-protests-coronavirus-trnd/index.html; https://time.com/5848212/doctors-supporting-protests/) and people outside of the profession don't have a feel for how much of an outlier they are. And then they have zero idea which organizations or medical journals are credible to begin with (see all of these: https://www.meditec.com/resourcestools/professional-associations-list), so when they see a story like this: https://www.statnews.com/2021/06/01/jama-editor-in-chief-stepping-down-after-backlash-from-podcast-that-questioned-racism-in-medicine/, they at best don't know if that was a formerly respectable organization and at worst just assume the profession has gone woke.

Johnson85
07-09-2021, 01:21 PM
Oh, I understand how and why it became political. When Populism rears it?s ugly head, situations like this become inevitable. Fifty years from now, this dynamic will be the topic of several dissertations.
See ?The Dipping Vat War?.

It wasn't populists that decided to trash what little remained of our norms and institutions with credibility. It was the gentry class that did that did enough damage to them to give populists an opening, and the gentry class that then decided to take a flamethrower to them after populists got a little bit of control.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 01:28 PM
I got Covid before I got the vaccine. Both sucked. What made up my mind was knowing that getting the vaccine would keep me from getting as sick with Covid if I got it again and the knowledge that it would help me NOT pass Covid on to someone it might greatly harm. At the end of the day we that are Christians are called to care for and love our fellow humans. I could not in good conscience and following the teachings of Christ willfully decide to avoid a vaccine that would help me keep others safe. It was that simple for me.

So you're saying vaccinated persons cannot transmit the virus? Meaning half of all persons in America and 2/3 of adults cannot transmit the virus?

RC3
07-09-2021, 01:33 PM
Why do you have to mention race? If you've ever worked in the delta, poor doesn't have a color. There's trash in all races.

well because by and large, the MS Delta counties have a higher vaccination rate, than the rural, mainly white counties in this state

confucius say
07-09-2021, 01:35 PM

Wait, you think most of the persons not getting the vaccine in MS, AL, AR, and LA (four of the five states with the lowest vaccine rates) are Trump supporters? Do you know what demographic is getting the vaccine the least (not that I blame them).

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Wait, you think persons not getting the vaccine in MS, AL, AR, and LA (four of the five states with the lowest vaccine rates) are Trump supporters? Do you know what demographic is getting the vaccine the least (not that I blame them).

You're implying that it's black people, but surveys and actual vaccination data show that rural whites have the lowest vaccination rate.

Percho
07-09-2021, 01:42 PM

Could I ask an ER physician a few questions. Maybe you can clear up a few things.

How big of an ER?
Are vaccinated peopled coming into the ER with Covid?
If so, do you know if any have died?
How many have come into your ER after being vaccinated ill that may or may not be attributed to the vaccine?
Have you attributed any to the vaccine?

These are questions not being allowed and or asked to my knowledge. Why? HIPPA? Not asking for association to any names.

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 01:43 PM
well because by and large, the MS Delta counties have a higher vaccination rate, than the rural, mainly white counties in this state

Correct.

https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/resources/12130.pdf

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 01:47 PM
Could I ask an ER physician a few questions. Maybe you can clear up a few things.

How big of an ER?
Are vaccinated peopled coming into the ER with Covid?
If so, do you know if any have died?
How many have come into your ER after being vaccinated ill that may or may not be attributed to the vaccine?
Have you attributed any to the vaccine?

These are questions not being allowed and or asked to my knowledge. Why? HIPPA? Not asking for association to any names.

What? All of those questions are "allowed" and discussed extensively. I honestly have no idea where some of you get this stuff..

Percho
07-09-2021, 01:56 PM

Just dig a hole and bury the Constitution?

RC3
07-09-2021, 02:00 PM
Just dig a hole and bury the Constitution?

so are you saying that people of this country have a constitutional right to healthcare and/or health insurance? Just making sure because I do agree with that

Percho
07-09-2021, 02:03 PM

Chapter and verse, please?

BeardoMSU
07-09-2021, 02:04 PM
I honestly have no idea where some of you get this stuff..

A rabbit-hole of dumbassery...

https://mobile.twitter.com/MattGertz/status/1413121265284562951

confucius say
07-09-2021, 02:10 PM
You're implying that it's black people, but surveys and actual vaccination data show that rural whites have the lowest vaccination rate.

Not according to the department of health. It actually tracks along racial lines. I think it is a combination of libertarians and black people.

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 02:17 PM
Not according to the department of health. It actually tracks along racial lines. I think it is a combination of libertarians and black people.

You just linked the same page I linked at you. Look at the map and compare the Delta and other majority black counties to the white rural counties in the Eastern part of the state.

Yes, white vaccination rates compare favorably because of white suburbans and white liberals like me getting it at extremely high rates. But there is a huge gulf in vaccination rates between white suburbans and white rural, or white Biden supporters and white Trump supporters, or however you want to label it.

Hot Rock
07-09-2021, 02:24 PM

Why not FOUR shots?

Nope, no one lied when they said two shots would protect you at all. They always said that most likely there would have to be booster shots. These type claims are what is wrong with social media.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 02:25 PM
You just linked the same page I linked at you. Look at the map and compare the Delta and other majority black counties to the white rural counties in the Eastern part of the state.

Yes, white vaccination rates compare favorably because of white suburbans and white liberals like me getting it at extremely high rates. But there is a huge gulf in vaccination rates between white suburbans and white rural, or white Biden supporters and white Trump supporters, or however you want to label it.

I'm just looking at the second page where it says 58% of vaccinations in MS are to whites, who make up 57% of the population, while 36% are to blacks who make up 37% of the population.

And considering the overwhelming number of whites in MS are conservative, the white vaccination rate has to be driven by conservatives, not liberals.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 02:29 PM
Nope, no one lied when they said two shots would protect you at all. They always said that most likely there would have to be booster shots. These type claims are what is wrong with social media.

Who is they? The cdc and fda said yesterday, literally, that vaccinated Americans "do not need" booster shots

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2021/07/08/health/pfizer-waning-immunity-bn/index.html

Quaoarsking
07-09-2021, 02:29 PM
I'm just looking at the second page where it says 58% of vaccinations in MS are to whites, who make up 57% of the population, while 36% are to blacks who make up 37% of the population.

And considering the overwhelming number of whites in MS are conservative, the white vaccination rate has to be driven by conservatives, not liberals.

You should look at the whole document instead of the one number that appears to confirm your preexisting notions. All of the white rural counties are very low, but places like Madison and Rankin (not liberal counties, but suburban ones) are pulling it up, as are the college towns. Those may not be liberal, but they're not the white rural counties that are refusing vaccination at the highest rates in every state.

Basically every county with the a rate in the 20s is rural and mostly white. The Delta is doing better than those.

Medic601
07-09-2021, 02:39 PM
As someone who works around it daily and has yet to get it… masks work, the vaccine works, distancing works. GET. THE. VACCINE. PLEASE!!! For us healthcare workers that are stretched so thin… please!!!!! If you don’t want a total and complete collapse of the healthcare system in the United States, we have to vaccinate the population and stop this. If we have another outbreak like we did before, there will be no 911 system to respond to your calls, no nurses to help you, no money to run the hospitals, etc. the healthcare system as you know it will cease to exist. Trust me. It is currently teetering on imploding as it sits now due to the first pandemic, it won’t survive a second.

confucius say
07-09-2021, 02:41 PM
You should look at the whole document instead of the one number that appears to confirm your preexisting notions. All of the white rural counties are very low, but places like Madison and Rankin (not liberal counties, but suburban ones) are pulling it up, as are the college towns. Those may not be liberal, but they're not the white rural counties that are refusing vaccination at the highest rates in every state.

What? There is no way from that county chart for you to know which people (black or white) in which counties are getting vaccinated. For example, there is no way from that chart to tell if the 30% of people in Scott county who have received a shot are black, white, liberal, or conservative.

But the chart im directing you to literally tells you how many blacks and many whites have received the shot.

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 02:42 PM

Social media shutting out other opinions in Jack Booted fashion creates skepticism.

Johnson85
07-09-2021, 02:43 PM

Not sure where you live, but in Mississippi, you cannot label white suburbans and white rural as white biden supporters and white trump supporters. You can call them white trump supporters and ardent white trump supporters maybe? But I'm not sure trump support really breaks down on those lines.

Also, the white rural counties in the eastern part of the state used to be where a lot of the white democrats were. Not positive, but I think those were the latter state house and senate seats to flip from democrat to republican. Maybe they've got a bunch of trump crossover voters now; not sure.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 03:30 PM
Y'all arguing about white and black are basically missing the REAL split. It's education level more than anything.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 03:33 PM

So you don't want to take responsibility for your actions but you want others to take responsibility for theirs, and yours. Got it.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 03:34 PM

Actually we have slowed it down a lot. Y'all just don't want to take responsibility for your actions.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 03:39 PM

LOL, I'm vaccinated and out and about. Was in Starkville shopping today. I haven't posted on 24/7 in YEARS. You have the wrong guy dude. I have never posted there about COVID. You are hilarious!

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Wow, just wow. I'm not making any kind of political statement. I'm saying we've had enough covid discussions.

I quoted the wrong post, sorry.

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 03:46 PM
This is how it should be, but there's all too few who can respect others decisions. For the vast majority, if I got, you should get, and if I didn't get it, you shouldn't either.

So if I'm comfortable with getting smashed and getting behind the wheel and going for a drive then its all good then. Me being comfortable is all that matters. That is exactly the same thing as you just said. If your decision only affected you then your statement would be fine.

msstate7
07-09-2021, 03:53 PM
So if I'm comfortable with getting smashed and getting behind the wheel and going for a drive then its all good then. Me being comfortable is all that matters. That is exactly the same thing as you just said. If your decision only affected you then your statement would be fine.
DUI is against the law. Being unvaccinated isn't. Got another crap analogy?

Liverpooldawg
07-09-2021, 03:56 PM
DUI is against the law. Being unvaccinated isn't. Got another crap analogy?

It's the same thing. You said it was about feeling comfortable with yourself. You choosing not to be vaccinated can be very detrimental to others. It's called taking responsibility for your actions.

msstate7
07-09-2021, 04:00 PM
It's the same thing. You said it was about feeling comfortable with yourself. You choosing not to be vaccinated can be very detrimental to others. It's called taking responsibility for your actions.

If I don't take my 13-year-old to be vaccinated, it's the same as DUI? Just stop

ScoobaDawg
07-09-2021, 04:03 PM
Ok. I'm closing this sh!T-Show.

Y'all just can't behave and go talk about our natty