PDA

View Full Version : Question: Will OUR NATTY

Cowbell
07-08-2021, 12:26 PM
Make any difference on football attendance this year?

I think yes, but am curious what others think

Jack Lambert
07-08-2021, 12:35 PM
I think attendance is going to be down just like it will be at other schools. The cost of attending and the availability of TV was putting the hurt on it before Covid and kind of did it in more. The only thing that will get it up is winning a lot of games and competing for SEC championships. Also I think the present situation in college football is horrible. Saban has made college football suck.

lefty96
07-08-2021, 12:39 PM
Also I think the present situation in college football is horrible. Saban has made college football suck.

This is a huge problem imo. I've quit watching. I haven't followed SEC football in 3 years - I check scores and nothing has changed. Same outcomes, same rankings, same, same, same. It's boring.

confucius say
07-08-2021, 12:41 PM
I think no. I believe football attendance will continue to decline

Catfish
07-08-2021, 12:43 PM
Saban is dealing the cards he is dealt. NCAA is the reason college football sucks. No parity has ruined it.

Rex54
07-08-2021, 12:44 PM
Football attendance will be down nationally from 2 seasons ago pretty much across the college football board. As will ratings.

Dawgology
07-08-2021, 01:05 PM
This is a huge problem imo. I've quit watching. I haven't followed SEC football in 3 years - I check scores and nothing has changed. Same outcomes, same rankings, same, same, same. It's boring.

Yep. I watch it but I also missed several games last year and didn?t really care. Same over dominant teams. No parity. What?s the point? And the NCAA will never fix it.

CaptainObvious
07-08-2021, 01:08 PM
The TV networks and money has something to do with the falling interest. Even if you listen to the talking heads on various sports talk radio, blogs, podcasts, TV, the all say the same things. They don?t want parity. They don?t want champions with 3 losses. They want the cream to always be made up of the blue bloods.

I can?t imagine what they would do in a 12 team playoff if a conference champ with 4 losses got on a roll and won a NC. Oh they would talk it up for a season but they would want the blue bloods back on top the next year. If a 12 team playoff all of a sudden has a couple of champions from the 10-12 slots, they will be clamoring for it to go back to 4 teams in a hurry.

DawgFromOxford
07-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Nah. When it comes down to it, winning is the only thing that boosts attendance. Unless you are consistently winning, most people would rather save their time and money.

BulldogBear
07-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Also....gorilla in room...soaring ticket prices for shitty seats are more of a problem than most people realize.

confucius say
07-08-2021, 01:47 PM
Also....gorilla in room...soaring ticket prices for shitty seats are more of a problem than most people realize.

Are tickets higher this year than in 2019? I think mine are the same

Rex54
07-08-2021, 01:49 PM
Nah. When it comes down to it, winning is the only thing that boosts attendance. Unless you are consistently winning, most people would rather save their time and money.

Not winning necessarily, but the thought that winning was even possible.

Also, the outright buying of players now is a turnoff.
Also, the wokeness culture.
Also, the cost of attending.

College sports as currently constructed is on a downhill trend for many reasons. Glad we got our Natty but I think that may be the closing door on the college sports as a major cultural factor era. And probably for the best.

Dolphus Raymond
07-08-2021, 02:01 PM
Wokeness culture?

Lord McBuckethead
07-08-2021, 02:16 PM
Wokeness culture?

It is something that boomers like to complain about, because they are boomers and hate the world they have left the next generation.
Manufacturing shutting down across the country - boomers fault
People tired of being treated any less than any other citizen - boomers fault
Cost of Attending - Boomers fault
Participation trophies - Boomers fault
Next generation with an glass ceiling earning potential over them... Boomers that will not retire's fault
Boomers didn't save for retirement - Boomers fault

People have the nerve to speak out against these things... Boomer like, shut your mouth. I refuse to participate anymore and I will stay home cause some women's basketball coach said some stuff that made me uncomfortable. Boomer.

That wasn't aimed at you Rex. Just boomers.

Lord McBuckethead
07-08-2021, 02:19 PM

Well they were worth it, when we were winning and actively competing in games we did lose. Now, the couch is more comfortable and my beer is close.
Either way, I re-upped my tickets and look forward to the day I can return to the stadium to cheer on the best group of students that fight for my school's pride.
The co-eds and those skirts/rompers they wear.

Cowbell
07-08-2021, 02:41 PM
I really feel Ike like more people will want to be at Davis wade just due to the high we are on right now

Rex54
07-08-2021, 02:41 PM
Wokeness culture?

Don't act stupid.

Extendedcab
07-08-2021, 02:51 PM
It is something that boomers like to complain about, because they are boomers and hate the world they have left the next generation.
Next generation with an glass ceiling earning potential over them... Boomers that will not retire's fault

People have the nerve to speak out against these things... Boomer like, shut your mouth. I refuse to participate anymore and I will stay home cause some women's basketball coach said some stuff that made me uncomfortable. Boomer.

OK, you asked for it!

If your comments were NOT tung in cheek, then to be blunt (like our moderator), you are full of shit! Excuse my french, but your post is not accurate at all. You see all those over 60 (all Boomers) as the problem, the instigators, the group that wants to change America. Well we are not, we are the exact opposite or at least the portion of Boomers that knows where our salvation comes from - you know, the ones you have problem with. We are trying to keep America centered on it founding principles and what our predecessors died for in multiple wars. We simply do not support organizations or people that do not reflect traditional values and especially those that flagrantly oppose traditional values.

Here is what is wrong with America today!

The Supreme Court expelled God from the public schools in 1962 and 1963, when they ruled that prayer and Bible reading in school had become unconstitutional. Today the moral precepts of the Ten Commandments can no longer hang on the walls of our children's public classrooms. Yet many people can't understand why the generation that reached adulthood in the '60s and '70s turned out so rootless and rebellious. This was a definitive turning point in our nation's history since our nation was founded on the belief of God and Jesus Christ. The laws of God in the Bible, and specifically the Ten Commandments, have been the bedrock of western civilization for 2,000 years. Judeo-Christian concepts of justice and legitimate authority shaped the English Common Law and later the American Declaration of Independence, with its recognition of inalienable rights bestowed upon men by their Creator. Our "values" are based on something ABSOLUTE and objective. This is necessary in order for our "values" to have any enduring strength and binding force. But these foundations have been abandoned in our day even at our highest level of government as this generation is now in a position of authority and influence. The results are that we are abandoning commitment and virtue, and degenerating into an openly hedonistic people with an egocentric philosophy of moral relativism.

This is what is wrong with America, not the "Boomers".

Catfish
07-08-2021, 03:01 PM
OK, you asked for it!

If your comments were NOT tung in cheek, then to be blunt (like our moderator), you are full of shit! Excuse my french, but your post is not accurate at all. You see all those over 60 (all Boomers) as the problem, the instigators, the group that wants to change America. Well we are not, we are the exact opposite or at least the portion of Boomers that knows where our salvation comes from - you know, the ones you have problem with. We are trying to keep America centered on it founding principles and what our predecessors died for in multiple wars. We simply do not support organizations or people that do not reflect traditional values and especially those that flagrantly oppose traditional values.

The Supreme Court expelled God from the public schools in 1962 and 1963, when they ruled that prayer and Bible reading in school had become unconstitutional. Today the moral precepts of the Ten Commandments can no longer hang on the walls of our children's public classrooms. Yet many people can't understand why the generation that reached adulthood in the '60s and '70s turned out so rootless and rebellious. This was a definitive turning point in our nation's history since our nation was founded on the belief of God and Jesus Christ. The laws of God in the Bible, and specifically the Ten Commandments, have been the bedrock of western civilization for 2,000 years. Judeo-Christian concepts of justice and legitimate authority shaped the English Common Law and later the American Declaration of Independence, with its recognition of inalienable rights bestowed upon men by their Creator. Our "values" are based on something ABSOLUTE and objective. This is necessary in order for our "values" to have any enduring strength and binding force. But these foundations have been abandoned in our day even at our highest level of government as this generation is now in a position of authority and influence. The results are that we are abandoning commitment and virtue, and degenerating into an openly hedonistic people with an egocentric philosophy of moral relativism.

Well done! I agree100%.

Tbonewannabe
07-08-2021, 03:03 PM

I pretty much only watch MSU games now. I used to watch every SEC game possible and any other big games. I barely care anymore about college football. We don't drive in for games like we used to either. We now pick out one game every month or so just to see our friends and tailgate.

Captain Falcon
07-08-2021, 03:12 PM
Our first game is against a C-USA team at 3 pm in the sweltering heat. I will be floored if there are more than 50,000 actual butts in seats.

We have had three straight seasons that were very frustrating in many ways. Fan enthusiasm for our football program is not super high right now.

lefty96
07-08-2021, 03:19 PM
Our first game is against a C-USA team at 3 pm in the sweltering heat. I will be floored if there are more than 50,000 actual butts in seats.

We have had three straight seasons that were very frustrating in many ways. Fan enthusiasm for our football program is not super high right now.

Uncomfortable temps, bad opponents, increased ticket prices and 60 years of cultural changes entirely tangent to being hot, broke and bored . . .no wonder there's attendance issues.

confucius say
07-08-2021, 03:41 PM
Uncomfortable temps, bad opponents, increased ticket prices and 60 years of cultural changes entirely tangent to being hot, broke and bored . . .no wonder there's attendance issues.

Don't forget metal detectors and the long lines that accompany them

lefty96
07-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Don't forget metal detectors and the long lines that accompany them

Those are covered in a sub-section of the moral decay.

Rex54
07-08-2021, 04:29 PM
Those are covered in a sub-section of the moral decay.

More like border decay

Saltydog
07-08-2021, 04:31 PM
Short answer is "no", IMO. I don't think it affects FB at all, other than being mentioned on TV a 1,000 times this fall. Course, that doesn't hurt but the effects would be minimal IMO. Just my two cents.

Dolphus Raymond
07-08-2021, 05:40 PM
Still on edge, Rex? Don?t fret; August will be here before you know it. ???????

R2Dawg
07-08-2021, 06:23 PM
OK, you asked for it!

Here, here. Nailed it.

RocketDawg
07-08-2021, 07:42 PM
I think attendance will continue to decline, in part because athletes are no longer amateurs, and in part because of the increasing cost (tickets, require donations, hotel prices, and such). Paying players is something that will stick in the craw of long time supporters - perhaps not the younger crowd, but it will to the older ones who are the primary donating fan base.

Cowbell
07-08-2021, 07:48 PM
OK, you asked for it!

This is fact

Rex54
07-08-2021, 08:22 PM
Still on edge, Rex? Don?t fret; August will be here before you know it. ???????
Uh... ok

Maroonthirteen
07-08-2021, 08:43 PM
You can click the link in the MSU athletic depts email to buy season tickets and see what's open. It is July. There are still seats open between the 40s.

Homedawg
07-08-2021, 09:54 PM
Crowds are going to continue to shrink. Is what it is

SPMT
07-08-2021, 10:48 PM
I personally could give a 17 about football.

DownwardDawg
07-09-2021, 10:13 AM
OK, you asked for it!

His post was so bad I just laughed at it. Hoping it was a joke.

DownwardDawg
07-09-2021, 10:18 AM
Sadly, my football watching now depends on what else is going on. It used to be the opposite.

Lord McBuckethead
07-15-2021, 09:34 AM
OK, you asked for it!

Are you serious Clark? Boomers had their entire lives to improve our country and they failed. That is the problem with America. An entire generation that cannot honor what men and women fought for for generations and move us into new territory as a country.
Screw God in schools. I said it. Who's God? Yours? Mine? There is not a single problem in our country that cannot be directly tied to the action or worse inaction of Boomers.

MSUDAWGFAN
07-15-2021, 10:54 AM
There is not a single problem in our country that cannot be directly tied to the action or worse inaction of Boomers.

I am not a "boomer" but will say this - This statement you made is pretty ridiculous. Can I name a single problem - Electing Obama and then Biden was largely due to younger people.

And before anybody says what's the problem with that, if you don't see the problem with our current White House secretary not being able to condemn communism by name, well I don't know what to tell you. The current occupant of the White House made the statement that people in Cube were protesting not having enough Covid vaccines, despite the fact that they were yelling "Liberty" and "Freedom" and holding American flags.

HoopsDawg
07-15-2021, 11:04 AM
I can't wait for that Tennessee State game. It's going to be epic. College Football has issues.

HoopsDawg
07-15-2021, 11:14 AM
We have a season coming up where we are competing for nothing. Best case scenario a decent bowl in which several players will opt out. Major reform is needed, but as long as the money is flowing nothing will change.

PMDawg
07-15-2021, 02:22 PM

I'm a millennial, and I find you to be an idiot. People with your attitude and inability to think for themselves are the real problem.

SPMT
07-15-2021, 09:23 PM
I think attendance is going to be down just like it will be at other schools. The cost of attending and the availability of TV was putting the hurt on it before Covid and kind of did it in more. The only thing that will get it up is winning a lot of games and competing for SEC championships. Also I think the present situation in college football is horrible. Saban has made college football suck.

Saban effect is over blown imo. We stood little chance pre-Saban and are actually a better program post-Saban. Most would just rather watch on tv. Our game experience will need to be improved to pre-Cohen levels for me to get too interested (concessions, WATER in SEPTEMBER, lines moving, etc.)

For some reason I no longer find football as interesting. Nothing to do with Saban, LSU, etc. We have never stood a chance and other than a fluke, never will.

I no longer find the NBA interesting and don't find college basketball interesting. I think it's the me-me era my generation ushered in a turn off.

Dawgology
07-15-2021, 11:30 PM
I'm a millennial, and I find you to be an idiot. People with your attitude and inability to think for themselves are the real problem.

This. You have Millennial/Gen Z and Boomers fighting constantly and they are basically the opposite sides of the same coin. **** em both. Live and let live and shut up about your ****ing feelings. Do some good. Live your life. And get the **** over yourself. There is nothing worse than someone telling you how you are supposed to think or believing they have all the answers. News flash: no one has the answers and nothing is black and white.

Todd4State
07-15-2021, 11:52 PM
Let's get back to the OP.

What the National Championship will do for MSU is it will help us grow as a baseball program, recruit, promote and possibly build a sidewalk fan base even to a degree. It will have much more of an effect on baseball than anything.

That said I do think it will help with enrollment because winning is the best exposure we could possibly have. I'm guessing that some of the college kids without any allegiances will choose MSU in small part because of the baseball team.

Lord McBuckethead
07-16-2021, 12:49 AM
I am not a "boomer" but will say this - This statement you made is pretty ridiculous. Can I name a single problem - Electing Obama and then Biden was largely due to younger people.

And before anybody says what's the problem with that, if you don't see the problem with our current White House secretary not being able to condemn communism by name, well I don't know what to tell you. The current occupant of the White House made the statement that people in Cube were protesting not having enough Covid vaccines, despite the fact that they were yelling "Liberty" and "Freedom" and holding American flags.

So.....yeah why do we even discuss it.

Lord McBuckethead
07-16-2021, 01:03 AM
Let's get back to the OP.

What the National Championship will do for MSU is it will help us grow as a baseball program, recruit, promote and possibly build a sidewalk fan base even to a degree. It will have much more of an effect on baseball than anything.

That said I do think it will help with enrollment because winning is the best exposure we could possibly have. I'm guessing that some of the college kids without any allegiances will choose MSU in small part because of the baseball team.

I hope that is the case, but a football or basketball championship would help the university more than baseball. I will say this though, MSU bringing a legit national championship to Mississippi is a big deal in pretty much only Mississippi. Most sports fans don't even watch college baseball. Not like football and basketball.

#growthegame

Lord McBuckethead
07-16-2021, 01:05 AM
I love how one "boomer" post throws the entire damn thing off the rails.

Lord McBuckethead
07-16-2021, 01:08 AM
This. You have Millennial/Gen Z and Boomers fighting constantly and they are basically the opposite sides of the same coin. **** em both. Live and let live and shut up about your ****ing feelings. Do some good. Live your life. And get the **** over yourself. There is nothing worse than someone telling you how you are supposed to think or believing they have all the answers. News flash: no one has the answers and nothing is black and white.

Gen Z hasn't had their turn yet. They are not the opposites side of the same coin. That is like saying boomers and the greatest generation or sides of the same coin. We will have to answer for the country we leave behind in 2050.

Dawg2003
07-16-2021, 10:05 AM
College baseball is a niche sport with no more followers than women's basketball or fast pitch softball.I wouldn't be surprised if fast pitch softball has more followers actually (at the collegiate level). That being said, I am all for us investing in niche sports that we have a chance to win NCs in, which was why I was fine investing in women's basketball when Vic was here.

We will never win a natty in football. Football must be invested in, and we must be respectable and keep going to bowl games. But outside of that, we won't do much more. 99% of schools have no chance of winning a natty in football and find other ways to win championships. A baseball championship won't increase attendance at football games. Our fans just don't care as much about football. Baseball is a religion to many of our fans, and it's a really special tradition.

Dawgology
07-16-2021, 10:54 AM
Gen Z hasn't had their turn yet. They are not the opposites side of the same coin. That is like saying boomers and the greatest generation or sides of the same coin. We will have to answer for the country we leave behind in 2050.

I don?t know man. From an outside perspective both sides look the same. Whine and cry if they get their fragile feelings hurt or if someone doesn?t agree with them or think like them. One side is ultra conservative and the other is ultra liberal with no room for questioning their narrative. Just the same lame coin. Both blaming each other for the ?downfall of America? lol.

Anyways, Hail State. I?ll be watching football games on my big screen in HD from my living room with air conditioning and a ton of BBQ until the temps cool off in October/November.

OLJWales
07-16-2021, 06:00 PM
Are you serious Clark? Boomers had their entire lives to improve our country and they failed. That is the problem with America. An entire generation that cannot honor what men and women fought for for generations and move us into new territory as a country.
Screw God in schools. I said it. Who's God? Yours? Mine? There is not a single problem in our country that cannot be directly tied to the action or worse inaction of Boomers.

Are there any rewards for the most reatarded post ever? I could end up in the list, please feel free to add my name if it is warranted.

Saltydog
07-16-2021, 08:08 PM
Yeah, the women's CWS would sell out TD Ameritrade (rolls eyes)..........

R2Dawg
07-17-2021, 12:57 PM

Wow Bucket, you are in a real bad place and I won't attempt to address the big stuff you said here but I will add one.

Every person and generation is responsible for the time they have. Those alive right now don't get to blame everyone before them and don't take responsibility for now. We are the only generation alive now and the only ones that can change anything. Not saying previous generations have not made huge mistakes because they have, but it can be fixed if people had courage to do the right thing. Problem is today people don't even know right from wrong anymore. We are in a serious moral and spiritual crisis and some want to blame everyone else.

R2Dawg
07-17-2021, 01:00 PM
I don?t know man. From an outside perspective both sides look the same. Whine and cry if they get their fragile feelings hurt or if someone doesn?t agree with them or think like them. One side is ultra conservative and the other is ultra liberal with no room for questioning their narrative. Just the same lame coin. Both blaming each other for the ?downfall of America? lol.

Anyways, Hail State. I?ll be watching football games on my big screen in HD from my living room with air conditioning and a ton of BBQ until the temps cool off in October/November.

You are wrong on the first point, generally conservatives are not threatened by an opposing opinion but will debate, left wing liberals are not really liberal at all, cancel any disagreement with their take. See the nation when they are in charge right now. Cut you off social media if you don't agree with them. When has a conservative every done that? Answer - never. They are scared to debate. When you have no argument you have to use bully and intimidation to beat down opposition. That is where we are.

OLJWales
07-17-2021, 03:43 PM
You are wrong on the first point, generally conservatives are not threatened by an opposing opinion but will debate, left wing liberals are not really liberal at all, cancel any disagreement with their take. See the nation when they are in charge right now. Cut you off social media if you don't agree with them. When has a conservative every done that? Answer - never. They are scared to debate. When you have no argument you have to use bully and intimidation to beat down opposition. That is where we are.

Repped. You can prove 100 facts then be called racist or any other woke code word then shut you down in jack booted fashion

FISHDAWG
07-18-2021, 09:41 AM

As previously suspected... I'm now convinced you're just full of shit

Todd4State
07-18-2021, 02:59 PM
I hope that is the case, but a football or basketball championship would help the university more than baseball. I will say this though, MSU bringing a legit national championship to Mississippi is a big deal in pretty much only Mississippi. Most sports fans don't even watch college baseball. Not like football and basketball.

#growthegame

I don't know. I've met a lot of people that are not MSU fans that were pulling for us and I've had a person who has a daughter that is out of state ask me about going to MSU and specifically mentioned that they went when our regional was going on and how impressed they were with everything and how MSU was his daughter's top choice now.

What we have in baseball is unique and special in large part because I think it shows everyone MSU's potential when everyone is on the same page and really goes all in and invests in something. Even if it isn't football.

Our problem with football is honestly we seem to be resigned to the fact that "we can't" instead of looking to see "how can we"? Starting with recruiting.

Todd4State
07-18-2021, 03:04 PM
College baseball is a niche sport with no more followers than women's basketball or fast pitch softball.I wouldn't be surprised if fast pitch softball has more followers actually (at the collegiate level). That being said, I am all for us investing in niche sports that we have a chance to win NCs in, which was why I was fine investing in women's basketball when Vic was here.

We will never win a natty in football. Football must be invested in, and we must be respectable and keep going to bowl games. But outside of that, we won't do much more. 99% of schools have no chance of winning a natty in football and find other ways to win championships. A baseball championship won't increase attendance at football games. Our fans just don't care as much about football. Baseball is a religion to many of our fans, and it's a really special tradition.

I don't know about that. The CWS for baseball is without question one of the NCAA's largest events and bigger than the Women's Basketball Championship or Women's CWS. ESPN may not like it but that's true. The truth of the matter is women's sports don't draw as well as men's. If given the choice between watching the NBA and WNBA fans are going to watch the NBA most of the time. Most people don't even realize that there is a fast pitch softball pro league in America.

OLJWales
07-18-2021, 03:49 PM
I don't know about that. The CWS for baseball is without question one of the NCAA's largest events and bigger than the Women's Basketball Championship or Women's CWS. ESPN may not like it but that's true. The truth of the matter is women's sports don't draw as well as men's. If given the choice between watching the NBA and WNBA fans are going to watch the NBA most of the time. Most people don't even realize that there is a fast pitch softball pro league in America.

As a fan, I'll take a CWS over a Women's Hoops natty but I do believe more exposure goes to the latter. Sorry if wrong on that but I think I saw that a while back.

Sports plays such a huge role in so many colleges no matter how illogical it sounds and is ingrained as a priority along with academics. SMU was SO Crushed financially by what happened to them. How many new students does Bamer get every year cuz of football?

Vic leaving was a gut punch to State and me personally. Had he stayed and put up some Natties for us, we'd be rollin' in a lot more out of state student "talent" right now on campus.

The CWS Natty gives us great exposure to the fans who are into baseball but it's just not nearly on the level of hoops and football. Let's see if we can have a great year in hoops and hope even more to get on a football hot streak. Would be a great way to grow the university's strength and street cred.

R2Dawg
07-18-2021, 07:43 PM
As a fan, I'll take a CWS over a Women's Hoops natty but I do believe more exposure goes to the latter. Sorry if wrong on that but I think I saw that a while back.

Sports plays such a huge role in so many colleges no matter how illogical it sounds and is ingrained as a priority along with academics. SMU was SO Crushed financially by what happened to them. How many new students does Bamer get every year cuz of football?

Vic leaving was a gut punch to State and me personally. Had he stayed and put up some Natties for us, we'd be rollin' in a lot more out of state student "talent" right now on campus.

The CWS Natty gives us great exposure to the fans who are into baseball but it's just not nearly on the level of hoops and football. Let's see if we can have a great year in hoops and hope even more to get on a football hot streak. Would be a great way to grow the university's strength and street cred.

The baseball NC is huge. Had people from all over commenting to me. The WBB was huge too. Vic leaving was a blow to MSU and to me personally as well. Vic just fit MSU so well. When our WBB beat Uconn it had as big an impact as a NC, we just didn't get to hang a banner for it.