PDA

View Full Version : Phil Steele and his infinite SEC predictions on football........

99jc
07-08-2021, 06:01 AM
SEC West

Alabama
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Mississippi State
Arkansas

SEC East

Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Rinse and repeat

Leeshouldveflanked
07-08-2021, 06:07 AM
Looks exactly like last years?.

Lord McBuckethead
07-08-2021, 07:31 AM
SEC West

Alabama
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Auburn
Mississippi State
Arkansas

SEC East

Georgia
Florida
Kentucky
Missouri
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Rinse and repeat

East
Florida
GA
TN
KY
MO
SC
VANDY

Johnson85
07-08-2021, 09:14 AM
Well, it's probably a successful formula on average if he would stop overrating Ole Miss and underrating MSU. As of right now, I'm guessing:

1. Alabama
2. Texas A&M

3/4 LSU, Auburn

5/6/7 Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas

Hoping LSU and/or Auburn implode and we make more improvement than Ole Miss or Arkansas.

Jack Lambert
07-08-2021, 09:31 AM
I'm kind of surprise he doesn't have Ark in front of us.

coastratdog
07-08-2021, 09:35 AM
I think us and Tenn are going to surprise people.

Dawgology
07-08-2021, 09:36 AM
He just used copy and paste every year. Plays to larger fan based that buy his mags

Liverpooldawg
07-08-2021, 09:44 AM
I think in the west he has the top 2 right. After that who knows?

Walkerhill
07-08-2021, 09:59 AM
I think in the west he has the top 2 right. After that who knows?

Any regional or national publication is going to slant towards the large fan bases because selling preseason hype is a business and these prognostications are basically standardized commercial products dressed up as expertise.

The formula is rank in order of fan base size and energy and then adjust for obvious major outliers (like a lower tier team having a star player/Heisman candidate or a team outperforming expectations the previous year). There is no reason to buy it or pay any attention unless you are just jonesing for a summer college football fix.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-08-2021, 10:27 AM
I can't really be mad at the West projections.

TrapGame
07-08-2021, 10:36 AM
I can't argue with it. I mean, I can, but I won't. Gotta look competent on offense this season. I think our D will put in position to win a couple we aren't supposed to but the O has to capitalize.

parabrave
07-08-2021, 10:44 AM
The west is bama and everyone else Pot Luck. East Fla, Ga and fill in the blank with Vandy bringing up the rear.

Dawgology
07-08-2021, 01:08 PM
The west is bama and everyone else Pot Luck. East Fla, Ga and fill in the blank with Vandy bringing up the rear.

This. Basically every single year.

parabrave
07-08-2021, 01:12 PM
This. Basically every single year.

I'll go out on a limb and say we end up 2nd in the west with a major Bowl!

Lord McBuckethead
07-08-2021, 02:22 PM
Well, it's probably a successful formula on average if he would stop overrating Ole Miss and underrating MSU. As of right now, I'm guessing:

1. Alabama
2. Texas A&M

3/4 LSU, Auburn

5/6/7 Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Arkansas

Hoping LSU and/or Auburn implode and we make more improvement than Ole Miss or Arkansas.

Texas AM is not going to end 2nd in the west. I would bet money on that right now.

Lord McBuckethead
07-08-2021, 02:23 PM
I think us and Tenn are going to surprise people.

Agreed. I bet both come in 3rd and maybe one of us gets to #2 in their side of the conference.

msudawg1200
07-08-2021, 03:39 PM
I buy Phil Steele's mag every year because he has updated depth charts and good stats. His book printed on the Thursday after Luke McCaffrey transferred to Rice that Monday, and he got it in his magazine in time. Pretty impressive. He does have us in his most improved teams, but has Ole Miss above us there also. His predictions are just like all of the other experts.

deltadawg63
07-08-2021, 04:05 PM
I buy Phil Steele's mag every year because he has updated depth charts and good stats. His book printed on the Thursday after Luke McCaffrey transferred to Rice that Monday, and he got it in his magazine in time. Pretty impressive. He does have us in his most improved teams, but has Ole Miss above us there also. His predictions are just like all of the other experts.

Frankly, we do have a lot to prove this year on offense and our defense lost some key parts but overall returns good nucleus and mostly our coordinator. I feel that schedules play a large part in those closely aligned teams...where the home game is amongst those such as Egg Bowl in Starkville and Kentucky in Starkville but we also play at Fayetteville. Those are all close matches with edge based on who has homefield.

To me, Auburn has the best chance of slipping and falling. LSU just has too much pure athleticism to fall too far but QB play there has to improve for them to compete against the top 5-6 teams in the conference. TAMU does challenge Bama this year in West. Its Georgia and Florida in the East, all the rest save Vandy are scrambled on who has homefield and Vandy last by far. They likely go winless in SEC again.

If Leach and team are motivated (defense will be), we can win Egg Bowl at home. I predict 6-6 to 7-5 including a possible slip at Memphis or against NCSU at home. That's a step in the right direction, beating Kentucky, Vandy, OM and possibly Auburn.

msudawg1200
07-08-2021, 05:13 PM
He also has us at 8 in the SEC Power Ratings and 30th in the nation. We'd be third in the SEC East. If some of y'all don't know the SEC West(not East) is brutally hard.

Johnson85
07-09-2021, 10:47 AM
He also has us at 8 in the SEC Power Ratings and 30th in the nation. We'd be third in the SEC East. If some of y'all don't know the SEC West(not East) is brutally hard.

We've had some breaks lately with Arkansas and Ole Miss struggling, but the SEC is almost back to as tough as it's ever been. Only exception would be when Bama and LSU were top 4 and Arkansas was top 10, and we were still good.

Unless somebody implodes, there's not going to be a bad team in the SEC West next year. May not be great at the top if A&M takes a step back and LSU doesn't improve, but if you take Moorhead's last team and put it in this year's league, I think we'd go 0-7 against the West.

Msudogsrule
07-09-2021, 10:52 AM

Actually printed the day after that news... Tuesday the 15th.

Apoplectic
07-09-2021, 09:23 PM
His rankings are all based on recruiting. You get zero credit for coaching or scheme.

Offshore Dawg
07-11-2021, 09:33 AM
Got to suck that big boy ass.

OLJWales
07-11-2021, 02:57 PM
Pre Season Rags follow the money making them unreliable.

R2Dawg
07-11-2021, 03:22 PM
Pre Season Rags follow the money making them unreliable.

True, they tell the money boys what their itching ears want to hear.