ShotgunDawg
07-06-2021, 04:16 PM
https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN/status/1412421635894923267?s=20

https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN/status/1412423022846300171?s=20

https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN/status/1412426227604987904?s=20[TWITTER]

[TWITTER]https://twitter.com/PeterBurnsESPN/status/1412426227604987904?s=20

Jack Lambert
07-06-2021, 04:19 PM
They would have to do it with every school or alumni from the schools they left out would boycott. I think it is not going to be that big of deal. The same guys are going to sign with the same schools.

ShotgunDawg
07-06-2021, 04:20 PM
They would have to do it with every school or alumni from the schools they left out would boycott. I think it is not going to be that big of deal. The same guys are going to sign with the same schools.

Did you read the tweets?. I don't think you understand what's going on here.

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 06:02 PM
This is a disaster waiting to happen. Amateur sports are over.

Homedawg
07-06-2021, 06:04 PM

Yep

Quaoarsking
07-06-2021, 06:07 PM

To be fair, they already were. Now we're just admitting it.

AROB44
07-06-2021, 06:16 PM
This will be the end of college athletics as we know it.

Rex54
07-06-2021, 06:20 PM
I've said this on this board throughout the whole debate. We won our Natty the right way, a true deserving title for the program and fanbase...now turn out the lights.

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 06:23 PM
I've said this on this board throughout the whole debate. We won our Natty the right way, a true deserving title for the program and fanbase...now turn out the lights.

I was just thinking that we got one in before the bell rang.

R2Dawg
07-06-2021, 06:26 PM

Yep basically make up any reason you want to pay players. This is a disaster. I'm still amazed at the people that are so blind and can't see this. This will further separate the have's and have nots.

Miami supporter giving half mil a year split to all players. What is to stop anyone from making ridiculous contributions and claiming NIL stuff. Piss poor leadership and idiotic followship.

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 06:33 PM
Yep basically make up any reason you want to pay players. This is a disaster. I'm still amazed at the people that are so blind and can't see this. This will further separate the have's and have nots.

Miami supporter giving half mil a year split to all players. What is to stop anyone from making ridiculous contributions and claiming NIL stuff. Piss poor leadership and idiotic followship.

Just can't see this ending well. The ncaa can't run anything without it turning into disaster and this is opening the floodgates. Remind me again why even need the ncaa at this point?

calidawg
07-06-2021, 06:37 PM
540,000 / 85 scholarships is 6k per player.... and the world is ending!!!

Get a grip people. Grow up and accept the reality that the United States designates rights to people over 18 and receiving compensation is one of them.

Jack Lambert
07-06-2021, 06:51 PM
Did you read the tweets?. I don't think you understand what's going on here.

Yes I read the tweets. If a group of business in Florida pools money and give to UF and not the other schools those alumni will boycott those business. Like it or not they have to be political. Why you think that dumb ass Bo Bounds sounds so Pro Ole MIss all the time. Example: I will never buy from Cannon motors. NEVER!

Irondawg
07-06-2021, 06:59 PM
Mind you this isn?t the NCAA I don?t think - they lost their court case and now you have to scramble to figure out how to create boundaries inside the ruling.

I don?t know how you do it and keep any sort of even playing field.

Pinto
07-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Seems this model would cause a title IX issue. If the contracts are grouped and not individual, then all athletes for the university should have to get paid equally. That?s why it is Name and Individual Likeness ie. A one to one contract.

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 07:02 PM
Mind you this isn?t the NCAA I don?t think - they lost their court case and now you have to scramble to figure out how to create boundaries inside the ruling.

I don?t know how you do it and keep any sort of even playing field.

This is what I'm talking about. Who's gonna regulate this and how? Wild Wild West as others have said.

Leeshouldveflanked
07-06-2021, 07:07 PM
The Tax Man will be taking his fair share from the athletes now?

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 07:12 PM

Gonna get really interesting isn't it?

somebodyshotmypaw
07-06-2021, 07:20 PM

Get a grip people. Grow up and accept the reality that the United States designates rights to people over 18 and receiving compensation is one of them.

Fair point. But in truth, they have always been able to get legal compensation. Nothing prevented Trevor Lawrence from signing a million dollar deal with Nike 2 years ago.

Dawg2003
07-06-2021, 07:27 PM

Pretty much.

BayouDawg
07-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Maybe put a cap on NIL giving per academic year? I have no idea how to come up with a reasonable cap though.

Quaoarsking
07-06-2021, 08:29 PM

Well yeah, that's a good thing, right? I'm sure Cam never paid taxes on his $180,000

BuckyIsAB****
07-06-2021, 08:36 PM

Its not going to end up being that big of a deal.

People need to calm down. Im fine with guys getting sponsorships and im fine with guys getting some money for a video game but this is not going to be worst case like many are scared into thinking

BuckyIsAB****
07-06-2021, 08:40 PM
There are a lot of walls and boundaries between this and wild Wild West. I understand the concern and totally agree if it turns into that I will be a lot less interested.

But there is still a long way to go before amateur sports are over. The sky is not falling. I guarantee you the game threads here will be just as long. Who care if our LT gets money from UMI restaurant for appearing? They were already being compensated and living a lot better than a lot of folks. They are not and have never been victims.

They do work hard and deserve credit for it and they got that. Let it be

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 08:47 PM
It's going to become more one sided than it is now. That's the problem.

Bothrops
07-06-2021, 08:53 PM
Oh it'll work, it will just morph college football into something it was never intended to be, and that is what they want.

SailingDawg
07-06-2021, 09:06 PM
It's going to become more one sided than it is now. That's the problem.

For the top teams and the top players.

parabrave
07-06-2021, 09:11 PM
Well yeah, that's a good thing, right? I'm sure Cam never paid taxes on his $180,000

Can't trace Cash

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 09:22 PM
Can't trace Cash

Cash, the gift that keeps on giving.

sack07
07-06-2021, 10:00 PM

This is a contradiction. It?s going to separate the haves and the have nots? Yet, you?re worried about Miami rising up? Seems like you think it?s going to give more teams a chance.

It?s funny that all you free-market capitalists have a problem with people earning money that any other college student would be able to earn.

bulldawg28
07-06-2021, 10:05 PM

This all day. Players have always been paid BIG MONEY in power 5. The difference will be now anyone/most will be paid not just the superstars.

Rex54
07-06-2021, 11:08 PM
What limits are there on a per player or dollar amount?

Can Jimmy Haslam theoretically pay a player 6 figures to be on a Flying J billboard?

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 11:28 PM

Can Jimmy Haslam theoretically pay a player 6 figures to be on a Flying J billboard?

I don't believe there's any limits, at least that I've heard. Open market.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 12:08 AM
There are a lot of walls and boundaries between this and wild Wild West. I understand the concern and totally agree if it turns into that I will be a lot less interested.

But there is still a long way to go before amateur sports are over. The sky is not falling. I guarantee you the game threads here will be just as long. Who care if our LT gets money from UMI restaurant for appearing? They were already being compensated and living a lot better than a lot of folks. They are not and have never been victims.

They do work hard and deserve credit for it and they got that. Let it be

There are absolutely no walls or boundaries. This is a circus and there is no way this ends well. You will find out firsthand real soon. OM will absolutely own us in football recruiting because of this.

Quaoarsking
07-07-2021, 12:37 AM
There are absolutely no walls or boundaries. This is a circus and there is no way this ends well. You will find out firsthand real soon. OM will absolutely own us in football recruiting because of this.

They already recruit "better" than us, and yet they've been to, what, 5* bowls over the last 11 seasons, compared to our 11?

* - 1 of which was vacated

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2021, 08:20 AM

Anyone, and I mean anyone, can give money directly to players at any amount under any circumstances. The NCAA hold on buying players is over. I believe we all can agree, any student that has the ability to make money legally should have that right to do so. As they should. Same as in any student can transfer freely from one university to another, players should have that same ability.

We are all just accustomed to the NCAA treating these players as property. Holding their "passports" and forcing them into labor without pay because they have the only path to the pros. Those days are done. MSU needs to organize a "SuperPac" and do this big. If you don't, well look at Southern Miss. We need to become the place you go to make bank. Big time players, making big time money. Cause if you don't, Bama will. If we don't, UM will. There is not an option here. We need to get out there NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, not after breakfast....NOW.

Rex54
07-07-2021, 08:27 AM
Anyone, and I mean anyone, can give money directly to players at any amount under any circumstances. The NCAA hold on buying players is over. I believe we all can agree, any student that has the ability to make money legally should have that right to do so. As they should. Same as in any student can transfer freely from one university to another, players should have that same ability.

We are all just accustomed to the NCAA treating these players as property. Holding their "passports" and forcing them into labor without pay because they have the only path to the pros. Those days are done. MSU needs to organize a "SuperPac" and do this big. If you don't, well look at Southern Miss. We need to become the place you go to make bank. Big time players, making big time money. Cause if you don't, Bama will. If we don't, UM will. There is not an option here. We need to get out there NOW. Not tomorrow, not next week, not after breakfast....NOW.

Meh, who cares. You're about to see a huge exodus in college sport support, most notably football.

Johnson85
07-07-2021, 08:34 AM
This is a contradiction. It?s going to separate the haves and the have nots? Yet, you?re worried about Miami rising up? Seems like you think it?s going to give more teams a chance.

It?s funny that all you free-market capitalists have a problem with people earning money that any other college student would be able to earn.

It's going to create a sports league that more closely resembles professional leagues. Big committed fanbases, committed rich boosters, and committed local businesses are going to be important. So there will be some schools that are better able to comopete under the new regime. Just looking at football: Miami, despite being a small private school, actually has a rich donor base that might be wiling/able to make them competitive again. If T Boone Pickens were still around, he alone could make Ok St. relevant. If Jerry and one of the walmart heirs wanted to, they could make arkansas nationally relevant. A&M and Texas will probably stop being sleeping giants and will be able to buy their way out of their cultural problems. Alabama will be hurt but has enough crazy boosters they can probably keep up. Auburn will probably be about the same. This may help UTenn improve to consistently above average, but I don't think they are in a position to be nationally relevant.

The schools that will be hurt the most are the ones that are currently doing more with less. I'm sure there is somebody it will hurt more than MSU, but I'm not sure who it is. I'm thinking we are extremely lucky to have Leach right now, as I think he can put a decent offense on the field while losing a lot of recruits because of lower NIL payments.

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2021, 08:34 AM

Jimmy Haslam could theoretically pay a player 6 figures to potentially be on a Flying J billboard. It doesn't even need to happen. An agreement that it could be possible may not even be required.

Homedawg
07-07-2021, 10:40 AM
Jimmy Haslam could theoretically pay a player 6 figures to potentially be on a Flying J billboard. It doesn't even need to happen. An agreement that it could be possible may not even be required.

It has to be done through a company. And there is a legal sheet thats only a page long has to be filled out.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 11:00 AM
It has to be done through a company. And there is a legal sheet thats only a page long has to be filled out.

What has been the interest level from our boosters/donors thus far.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 11:01 AM
They already recruit "better" than us, and yet they've been to, what, 5* bowls over the last 11 seasons, compared to our 11?

* - 1 of which was vacated

If that makes you feel better....

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2021, 11:08 AM

And who is checking every dollar that comes in now? If company A wants to hire Logan Tanner as his spokesman, and then random dude B decides he wants to give him an additional 30k for no reason at all, all he would have to do is file with the secretary of state's office as a corporation.

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2021, 11:10 AM
What has been the interest level from our boosters/donors thus far.

I don't know but I am going to start a company called LordMc's 20 Dollar Bill fountain. Almost all funds will go to current players, future players, strippers, and anything else needed to get these poor players the money they deserve based on their free market value.

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2021, 11:11 AM
I would add, my company needs funds for advertising. So if anyone wants to donate, I will make sure Sawyer and Tulu doesn't ever miss a pay day.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 11:11 AM
The biggest issues with this To me are:
1) There is almost always an "uncle" or parent/agent there to take advantage of the young person or give them poor advice. In my opinion, this money above a certain amount should be put into a trust until they graduate. So the young people can learn how to manage it and mature a little before the buzzards circle.
2) This completely takes what little emphasis there was on education away. Even if a young linebacker wants to come to state abd get an engineering degree, if ole miss pays a higher price, then they will take that and change majors. All about the money now.

Lord McBuckethead
07-07-2021, 11:12 AM
1) There is almost always an "uncle" or parent/agent there to take advantage of the young person or give them poor advice. In my opinion, this money above a certain amount should be put into a trust until they graduate. So the young people can learn how to manage it and mature a little before the buzzards circle.
2) This completely takes what little emphasis there was on education away. Even if a young linebacker wants to come to state abd get an engineering degree, if ole miss pays a higher price, then they will take that and change majors. All about the money now.

It hasn't been about education since recruiting and recruiting rankings started.

SailingDawg
07-07-2021, 12:23 PM
And who is checking every dollar that comes in now? If company A wants to hire Logan Tanner as his spokesman, and then random dude B decides he wants to give him an additional 30k for no reason at all, all he would have to do is file with the secretary of state's office as a corporation.

I can see Bracky taking in the cash and distributing it as instructed, along with a 1099.

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2021, 12:46 PM

I do agree with you on this. Especially number 1. Number 2 has been dead for a while. That ended about when Bear Bryant started recruiting

R2Dawg
07-07-2021, 01:18 PM

Ain't got nothing to do with Miami. Miami is just the example of how out of control this thing can get.

Free market don't mean anything goes; that is an ignorant perception. There are rules all over society to keep order and prevent chaos and corruption. This ruling creates chaos and corruption. I can't help those that have little wisdom and discernment.

Do you know what discernment is? It is knowing the difference in right and almost right. Almost right is wrong.

confucius say
07-07-2021, 01:40 PM

This is not free market.

Free market is the ncaa saying, here is how we are going to do things. If you don't like it, create your own entity with its own model and compete against us.

confucius say
07-07-2021, 01:41 PM
This all day. Players have always been paid BIG MONEY in power 5. The difference will be now anyone/most will be paid not just the superstars.

It will still be just the stars. No company is doing an endorsement deal for a third string lb who only plays on special teams

confucius say
07-07-2021, 01:56 PM
One other thing to keep in mind: the Alston ruling only allowed athletes to receive "education related benefits." And it gave the NCAA discretion to determine what constitutes an "education related benefit."

But big picture, I suspect the next challenge will be to benefits unrelated to education. And when the ncaa loses that, it will cease to exist.

OLJWales
07-07-2021, 03:09 PM
It will still be just the stars. No company is doing an endorsement deal for a third string lb who only plays on special teams

What if boosters spring for the AD?

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 07:20 PM
I do agree with you on this. Especially number 1. Number 2 has been dead for a while. That ended about when Bear Bryant started recruiting

I think it will take what little was left away of the education piece. It didn't matter much but I know kids every year who let that play into the decision.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 07:22 PM

You aren't paying attention. Read the paper. Miami is just the beginning....

R2Dawg
07-07-2021, 07:37 PM
There is nothing stopping a booster from inviting a player to the house and paying him $200,000 for an hour. It won't happen? Isn't that what Bama paid Albert Means 20 years ago? An he wasn't even a great player. Cam Newton 100K?

The NCAA went from $400 for a set of tires for Kevin Fant and destroying us to anything goes now. We went from having standards to having no standards. Just a reflection of society where we don't have any morality any more. If it feels right to me or for me, do it.

Rex54
07-07-2021, 07:44 PM
There is nothing stopping a booster from inviting a player to the house and paying him $200,000 for an hour. It won't happen? Isn't that what Bama paid Albert Means 20 years ago? An he wasn't even a great player. Cam Newton 100K?

The NCAA went from $400 for a set of tires for Kevin Fant and destroying us to anything goes now. We went from having standards to having no standards. Just a reflection of society where we don't have any morality any more. If it feels right to me or for me, do it.

Yep. We won the last National Championship before the fall. I can live with that. More reading and fishing from here on out it appears.

sack07
07-07-2021, 07:57 PM
Ain't got nothing to do with Miami. Miami is just the example of how out of control this thing can get.

Free market don't mean anything goes; that is an ignorant perception. There are rules all over society to keep order and prevent chaos and corruption. This ruling creates chaos and corruption. I can't help those that have little wisdom and discernment.

Do you know what discernment is? It is knowing the difference in right and almost right. Almost right is wrong.

What exactly is wrong (or almost right as you say) with a player being paid money? Their talents are marketable.

Dawgology
07-07-2021, 08:00 PM

Fair compensation: Tuition- 4 years = $92,000 out of state/ $40,000 in state, text books, meal plan, housing 4 years = $68,000.

A student athlete on full scholarship gets the equivalent of $108,000 - $160,000 over 4 years, a college degree and no student loans. This doesn?t include the tutoring, medical, and other assistance plus the plethora of business connections made and tons of PR.

This is a bad plan and has basically come about due to cancel culture pressure but no one wants to admit. Everyone with a bit of common sense knows this is a terrible idea. The stipulation should have been put in place that all of this money should be put into an account and it is equally dispensed to all student athletes upon GRADUATION from college with a degree?you know?since they are STUDENT athletes playing for a SCHOOL. Yes, you would not get a lick of it if you left college early.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 11:03 PM
What exactly is wrong (or almost right as you say) with a player being paid money? Their talents are marketable.

Even the NFL has a salary cap for a reason

Bdawg
07-07-2021, 11:44 PM

If everything was going to be on the up and up, it would be fine. Athletes would be paid what they are worth from a business. But there is no way in hell this will be this way. Rich boosters and businesses will get word to athletes that they will pay the most in order to build/buy a team for their school. Got nothing to do with how marketable they are. Athletes will get paid way over what is market value if they think said athlete will be a good player. Just need 4 or 5 stars by your name. And money men will do whatever it takes to make sure athletes know what they can get before they even get in school. Will be a bidding war behind the scenes on what booster or business can get the athlete the most money. The rich schools will build a better team while the poor schools fall by the way side. Bye bye old school college football.

Quaoarsking
07-08-2021, 12:11 AM
If everything was going to be on the up and up, it would be fine. Athletes would be paid what they are worth from a business. But there is no way in hell this will be this way. Rich boosters and businesses will get word to athletes that they will pay the most in order to build/buy a team for their school. Got nothing to do with how marketable they are. Athletes will get paid way over what is market value if they think said athlete will be a good player. Just need 4 or 5 stars by your name. And money men will do whatever it takes to make sure athletes know what they can get before they even get in school. Will be a bidding war behind the scenes on what booster or business can get the athlete the most money. The rich schools will build a better team while the poor schools fall by the way side. Bye bye old school college football.

Everything you're describing already happens. Better to have it out there in the open than behind the scenes and wink-wink-denied.

sack07
07-08-2021, 05:56 AM
Even the NFL has a salary cap for a reason

And MLB doesn?t, so?,

It is really not going to be the doom and gloom you all propose. Once the newness wears off, how much money do you think these boosters are actually going to shell out? They are in a position to pay players because, in general, they have good business acumen. It is not good business to pay for a whole college football team. Will big time players get some money? Absolutely. But those guys are going to the same 6 schools anyway. If anything, this gives other schools a chance if they have a good NIL program in place.

OLJWales
07-08-2021, 07:12 AM
And MLB doesn?t, so?,

It is really not going to be the doom and gloom you all propose. Once the newness wears off, how much money do you think these boosters are actually going to shell out? They are in a position to pay players because, in general, they have good business acumen. It is not good business to pay for a whole college football team. Will big time players get some money? Absolutely. But those guys are going to the same 6 schools anyway. If anything, this gives other schools a chance if they have a good NIL program in place.

This is a retarded post.

Lord McBuckethead
07-08-2021, 07:36 AM
We have new rules in place. We better learn them, master them, and learn to exploit them. If we don't then we better go ahead and switch our focus to badminton

Bdawg
07-08-2021, 07:42 AM
Everything you're describing already happens. Better to have it out there in the open than behind the scenes and wink-wink-denied.

To a certain extent. But when it's legal and there are no penalties for it, the bigger markets, colleges in bigger cities, whoever has the most money is going to have an even bigger advantage than what is going on now. The gap will keep getting worse. I thought college sports were about tryin to create a level playing field. This just makes it worse than it already is.

Johnson85
07-08-2021, 09:19 AM

College sports are essentially an arms race, so without the ability to agree to some sort of salary cap, the value that is mostly created by the university brands is almost exclusively going to be captured by people/entities other than the universities. Not the worst tragedy in the world, just not good.

RiverCityDawg
07-08-2021, 09:27 AM
We have new rules in place. We better learn them, master them, and learn to exploit them. If we don't then we better go ahead and switch our focus to badminton

It's really this simple.

coachnorm
07-08-2021, 10:43 AM
The thread indicates the NIL rules won't work. There is a litigation evolution in this regards and there was a victor and the vanquished. Simply, it works for some and not others. The NCAA has lost its credibility with the government, the courts, and the public as a whole. Because of the moral credibility loss, the courts have treated the NCAA as morally bankrupt and stripped it of regulating issues like NIL. Believe it or not, the Reggie Bush issue has exposed the NCAA especially when the courts forced it to grant access of its mainframe to Todd Nair's attorneys. Then the courts ordered public access to all discoveries found by Nair's legal team. Because of legal evolution of late, the NCAA is a shadow of itself because of its legal perceptions, and has lost a lot of ability to govern unfettered.

confucius say
07-08-2021, 11:06 AM
You aren't paying attention. Read the paper. Miami is just the beginning....

Let me know when that comes to fruition

confucius say
07-08-2021, 11:21 AM
The ncaa is made up of its member schools.
Those member schools are not required to give athletic scholarships. Maybe just enact a rule that reduces a player's scholarship by the amount received from NIL? That wouldn't run afoul of the courts antitrust holding in the Alston case (which after reading that case, the entire case was predicated on the belief that the ncaa has a monopoly on college Athletics and can dictate terms, despite the existence of other competing entities, which I'm not sure I agree with).

MedDawg
07-08-2021, 11:23 AM
Let's do this for baseball--a SuperPAC to ensure all 35 roster spots have tuition and room/board covered. We can then essentially offer each baseball recruit a full scholarship, although it would be covered by the SuperPAC and not the school. Then the stars of the team separately get whatever they can.

Homedawg
07-08-2021, 11:46 AM
Let's do this for baseball--a SuperPAC to ensure all 35 roster spots have tuition and room/board covered. We can then essentially offer each baseball recruit a full scholarship, although it would be covered by the SuperPAC and not the school. Then the stars of the team separately get whatever they can.

That sounds great. Now you have officially volunteered to raise 700k per year to fund your proposal.

confucius say
07-08-2021, 12:00 PM

Really wouldn't be hard. 12 out of state players on full ride. Put 200k in a super pac. Put 20 in state non scholly guys in a commercial and pay each 10k to cover tuition. Fudge the numbers as necessary, may need 350k some years depending on number of out of state kids.

confucius say
07-08-2021, 12:04 PM
That sounds great. Now you have officially volunteered to raise 700k per year to fund your proposal.

You could do it for half that easy. We could get 350 people worldwide to give 1,000 dollars each easily. I would for sure.

R2Dawg
07-08-2021, 12:06 PM

Many will not see this but it is the truth. You have to believe in absolute truth vs relative moralism.

Money corrupts people. The love of money is the root of all evil. Money is not bad but misuse, abuse, etc. is. I am pro free market but limits on things are good to contain man's corruption. That is why there are antitrust laws to keep from one entity from controlling people, a market, etc. There would be oppression is one group had too much power. Kinda like what we are seeing with our culture now so it isn't surprising this is happening. This will not be fair and it will be abused. That is neither entertaining or good practice. Do you want to watch Bama win 10 more in a row after Saban leaves? Get ready here it comes.

People act like they aren't getting paid. They are getting paid very well in scholarships and a ton of benefits. What about paying high school kids to play sports? Where does it stop. That is why it is amateur sports and why you have professional sports.

MedDawg
07-08-2021, 12:13 PM

35 roster spots less 11.7 NCAA scholarships = 23.3 unfulfilled scholarships.

23.3 x $24,000 cost of attendance at MSU = $559,200 per year.

State fans/boosters/companies could raise that easily and put it into a SuperPAC to distribute among the 23.3 players. One 'cigar boy' could probably fund that.

Other richer schools could also do that but very few would for baseball.

Homedawg
07-08-2021, 12:14 PM
35 roster spots less 11.7 NCAA scholarships = 23.3 unfulfilled scholarships.

23.3 x $24,000 cost of attendance at MSU = $559,200 per year.

State fans/boosters/companies could raise that easily and put it into a SuperPAC to distribute among the 23.3 players. One 'cigar boy' could probably fund that.

Other richer schools could also do that but very few would for baseball.

So we just gonna get in state players????Either way. Get it done

MedDawg
07-08-2021, 01:33 PM
So we just gonna get in state players????Either way. Get it done

What makes my post for only in-state players? The $24k number? I just googled MSU cost of attendance and that figure came up.

If we need more for out of state players then we will have to raise more. I initially posted $840,000 per year for all 35 players, but of course the school would cover the first 11.7 scholarships. So maybe the $800k figure is more accurate to account for out-of-state tuition. That is still doable.

Homedawg
07-08-2021, 01:55 PM
Yes. The 24 is for in state. Not a big deal. Either way I've put you in charge.!!!

confucius say
07-08-2021, 01:55 PM
And you can stack academic aid on athletic aid now if I understand correctly, so that should help.

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 12:31 AM
I look forward to teams like USC and Syracuse having their way with us with MS Croots.

Cowbell
07-09-2021, 08:14 AM
I look forward to teams like USC and Syracuse having their way with us with MS Croots.

This is what some people on this board don't see. The difference of $100/month is enough to sway recruits

Quaoarsking
07-10-2021, 01:09 PM
This is what some people on this board don't see. The difference of $100/month is enough to sway recruits

$100/month is well within the bounds of what already happens. If someone at Syracuse is willing to pay $100/month to Mississippi high schoolers to come play there, he already is.

sack07
07-10-2021, 01:50 PM

So you do not want a kid to earn an extra $100/month that someone is willing to pay, so that we can preserve the integrity? of what exactly?

LC Dawg
07-10-2021, 02:08 PM
It was inevitable (and needed imo) that college athletes were going to get paid. This current model is a result of the NCAA and schools ignoring the issue and doing nothing.
Also, I wonder how these nil fund programs, or whatever they'll be called, will affect donations to the universities and their athletic departments. A lot of people have a limited amount of money to give and if they give to an nil fund they may give less to the school.

OLJWales
07-10-2021, 02:47 PM
So you do not want a kid to earn an extra $100/month that someone is willing to pay, so that we can preserve the integrity? of what exactly?

He didn't say he wanted them not to get paid. He understands the consequences of changing what once was illegal into a legal act. Do you really like our chances at a public auction going against alumni in NYC & LA?

Cowbell
07-10-2021, 04:30 PM

IN ALL THINGS IN LIFE, When money is the sole driver, bad things happen. Many of these 17-18 yr olds don't understand that. And some adults don't.

Cowbell
07-10-2021, 04:33 PM
He didn't say he wanted them not to get paid. He understands the consequences of changing what once was illegal into a legal act. Do you really like our chances at a public auction going against alumni in NYC & LA?
Glad someone gets it

sack07
07-10-2021, 06:46 PM

I am talking bigger picture than Mississippi State competing (by the way, we are not competing in the current market either). You do not think it ridiculous that another college kid, who could be on academic scholarship, can earn money on his Twitch stream and an athlete cannot because they play a sport? Why is playing a sport an inhibitor?

Cowbell
07-11-2021, 11:19 AM
I am talking bigger picture than Mississippi State competing (by the way, we are not competing in the current market either). You do not think it ridiculous that another college kid, who could be on academic scholarship, can earn money on his Twitch stream and an athlete cannot because they play a sport? Why is playing a sport an inhibitor?
This is not the argument

OLJWales
07-11-2021, 06:14 PM
This is not the argument

Yep, diversion tacticts commonly used when proven wrong.

Johnson85
07-12-2021, 09:06 AM

Because the value is usually not created by the athlete, but by the university brand. How many players for the Braves or Shuckers have endorsement deals? Or for the Hustle and Birmingham? Probably basically zero for the Braves and Shuckers, and maybe one or two on each G-leauge team?

There are certainly some athletes that have an independent brand that has value apart from their college team, but they are the exception rather than the rule. They have a legitimate beef (although for anybody other than football players, they still have the option of just going pro if the university isn't providing enough value for them). For everybody else, it's just a battle about who can capture the most value the university brand creates.

Dawgtini
07-12-2021, 09:47 AM
Because the value is usually not created by the athlete, but by the university brand. How many players for the Braves or Shuckers have endorsement deals? Or for the Hustle and Birmingham? Probably basically zero for the Braves and Shuckers, and maybe one or two on each G-leauge team?

There are certainly some athletes that have an independent brand that has value apart from their college team, but they are the exception rather than the rule. They have a legitimate beef (although for anybody other than football players, they still have the option of just going pro if the university isn't providing enough value for them). For everybody else, it's just a battle about who can capture the most value the university brand creates.

This^^. And the university having the "brand" is where this all gets dicey.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-12-2021, 10:04 AM
So nothing will change except now it will be out in the open where everyone can see. IF y'all think paying players is something new, I got some beach front property in Union, Mississippi to sell you.

OLJWales
07-12-2021, 11:04 AM
So nothing will change except now it will be out in the open where everyone can see. IF y'all think paying players is something new, I got some beach front property in Union, Mississippi to sell you.

Keeping it illegal gives schools like STATE a fighting chance to defend their areas. Now schools will be able to drive up to a MS high school player's house with his new Ferrari and contract. Done.

bulldawg28
07-12-2021, 11:17 AM
Keeping it illegal gives schools like STATE a fighting chance to defend their areas. Now schools will be able to drive up to a MS high school player's house with his new Ferrari and contract. Done.

Why couldn't Mississippi state keep up? We've been doing so for years and have been doing fine.

BB30
07-12-2021, 02:03 PM

I don't personally care either way. State is a long shot at winning a NC in football anyway and my thoughts are it will end up buffing out about the same.

That being said if they have marketable talents let them be eligible to go to the NFL at 18 and "market" their talents just as any other college student could decide to do. Now chances are those talents won't be as valuable without the teaching and development that they receive at the college level just as a senior in highschool isn't as valuable to an engineering firm until he has graduated school.

You brought up free market and athletes having the same ability to make money as regular college students. If you want to do it that way fine. But out of what they are being paid they should also be covering the cost of their tuition, books, fee for using and maintaining weight equipment, fee for the trainers they are using, fee for the meal prep they are receiving etc.

You act like they aren't already gaining about a 100K in value simply from stepping foot on campus to play a sport. That is before they actually get a degree that will help them with life after football.

I am all for paying them if they are treated like a regular student and have to cover tuition costs and every other benefit they are currently getting for free. Don't forget what makes their talent marketable at the college level... it is the school they play at, not necessarily themselves.

StateDawg44
07-13-2021, 07:05 AM
Why couldn't Mississippi state keep up? We've been doing so for years and have been doing fine.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight...

sandwolf
07-13-2021, 03:29 PM
That is why there are antitrust laws to keep from one entity from controlling people, a market, etc. There would be oppression is one group had too much power.

You mean like the NCAA?

Look, if you want to make the argument that this is the beginning of the end of college football as we know it, then do that. But stop trying to make this an issue of morality. There is absolutely nothing immoral about paying football players.

OLJWales
07-13-2021, 03:54 PM
You mean like the NCAA?

Look, if you want to make the argument that this is the beginning of the end of college football as we know it, then do that. But stop trying to make this an issue of morality. There is absolutely nothing immoral about paying football players.

Keeping it "under the table" gave / gives us a chance because boosters have to show a level of discretion despite what others think how high or low that level has to be. I get it, the NCAA has not policed the worst offenders based on their recent rulings like Ole Miss' "LOI Control" meant nothing to them.

Keeping it illegal means freshmen will have to rely on Bamer type Cars, this ruling means they can now have Ferarries. Keeping it illegal creates a salary cap so to speak. Why do you want STATE competing with boosters who have 10 X our money with no limits? I wouldn't mind this new ruling if there were caps on the $. I don't think there is one and it looks like a killer for schools like STATE.

sandwolf
07-13-2021, 05:01 PM
Keeping it "under the table" gave / gives us a chance because boosters have to show a level of discretion despite what others think how high or low that level has to be. I get it, the NCAA has not policed the worst offenders based on their recent rulings like Ole Miss' "LOI Control" meant nothing to them.

Keeping it illegal means freshmen will have to rely on Bamer type Cars, this ruling means they can now have Ferarries. Keeping it illegal creates a salary cap so to speak. Why do you want STATE competing with boosters who have 10 X our money with no limits? I wouldn't mind this new ruling if there were caps on the $. I don't think there is one and it looks like a killer for schools like STATE.

I never said I wanted this. I just said that it isn't immoral.

I actually tend to agree that this is going to be detrimental to college football long term. I think it is going to shine a big spotlight on the lack of parity and unless drastic changes are made to at least keep the illusion of a somewhat level playing field, most people will lose interest.

OLJWales
07-13-2021, 06:46 PM
I never said I wanted this. I just said that it isn't immoral.

I actually tend to agree that this is going to be detrimental to college football long term. I think it is going to shine a big spotlight on the lack of parity and unless drastic changes are made to at least keep the illusion of a somewhat level playing field, most people will lose interest.

agreed. but keep in mind, I don't think I discussed the morality of the ruling. Professional sports put salary caps in place for a reason which is to protect parity. These college players produce a TON of money, no doubt and cutting them in would not be immoral IMO. We don't need to be in bidding wars for local 4-5 Star Talent from teams like Syracuse because they are allowed to publicly promise tons of almost unlimited money on the T.V. Screen.

sandwolf
07-13-2021, 10:07 PM
but keep in mind, I don't think I discussed the morality of the ruling.

I don't see where you did either....which is why I quoted R2Dawg in my initial post.

Dannyripms
07-14-2021, 06:10 AM
The only good to come out of this is this will be the end to the NCAA. I see a storm coming and the big 6 will form their own alliance and rules.