PDA

View Full Version : Matt Wyatt - Film Study on Will Rogers

CadaverDawg
07-05-2021, 10:07 PM
Worth the watch. Matt is incredible at these. Makes me ready for some football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvd0z_gm2VM&feature=youtu.be

BayouDawg
07-06-2021, 12:49 PM
I really liked how he showed how will grew throughout the season. I think this offense will work in the sec. I think its reasonable to expect to be 7 or 8 wins a year with a shot at 10 every 4 or 5 years.

Catfish
07-06-2021, 01:06 PM
I really liked how he showed how will grew throughout the season. I think this offense will work in the sec. I think its reasonable to expect to be 7 or 8 wins a year with a shot at 10 every 4 or 5 years.

I totally agree. Can't wait for the season to start.

Tbonewannabe
07-06-2021, 03:50 PM
This offense can work if....the Oline actually blocks people. Can't have 8 people dropping into coverage and still getting a sack rushing 3 guys.

KOdawg1
07-06-2021, 03:59 PM
Wyatt always does a good job with these.

I'm not sold on Rogers by any stretch. He's a film junkie and I think he'll put in the work, but I question his arm talent.

Geedawg
07-06-2021, 04:02 PM
This offense can work if....the Oline actually blocks people. Can't have 8 people dropping into coverage and still getting a sack rushing 3 guys.

I think it will work if Leach is committed to throwing in the run game to his play mix like he did in the last few weeks of the season.

Jarius
07-06-2021, 05:50 PM
Wyatt always does a good job with these.

I'm not sold on Rogers by any stretch. He's a film junkie and I think he'll put in the work, but I question his arm talent.

Leach hasn’t had anyone with great “arm talent” his entire career outside of a couple of guys. They all look just like Will. The OL is the key. Will is accurate and smart enough to run this Offense to perfection if e OL blocks. Like someone else said we have to beat the drop 8. When that happens we will be nearly impossible to stop. Every week will look a lot more like LSU than Arkansas / Kentucky when that happens.

BayouDawg
07-06-2021, 07:36 PM
Leach hasn’t had anyone with great “arm talent” his entire career outside of a couple of guys. They all look just like Will. The OL is the key. Will is accurate and smart enough to run this Offense to perfection if e OL blocks. Like someone else said we have to beat the drop 8. When that happens we will be nearly impossible to stop. Every week will look a lot more like LSU than Arkansas / Kentucky when that happens.

I think the o line improved down the stretch and the receivers started understanding how to find the space in the zone. The UGA game is a great example of how the team finally trusted the system and took what the defense gave them until UGA got impatient and jumped to man then we hit them with some shot plays. The auburn game was a setback but the other games down the stretch were vastly improved.

BuckyIsAB****
07-06-2021, 08:44 PM
We will have to run the ball more and give Will time for it to work. We are going to see the drop 8 and if we cant protect we are going to see some pressure with 3 man rush. The offense hinges on the OL. The rest of it is good enough to win 7-9 at this point. Ive said before, Leach is not going to call a run play. Every run is a QB check.

KOdawg1
07-06-2021, 09:13 PM
Here's his breakdown of Jack Abraham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpKPNPyAJtM

Jarius
07-06-2021, 09:40 PM
Here's his breakdown of Jack Abraham

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpKPNPyAJtM

I appreciate the off-season thread with Jack’s highlights but I hope our fans can get it out of their heads that he is going to come in to rescue the day. He’s not an SEC quarterback and is not going to play this year unless will gets hurt. Outside of the spring game the qb competition was not close per anyone that watched.

bulldawg28
07-06-2021, 09:45 PM
I appreciate the off-season thread with Jack’s highlights but I hope our fans can get it out of their heads that he is going to come in to rescue the day. He’s not an SEC quarterback and is not going to play this year unless will gets hurt. Outside of the spring game the qb competition was not close per anyone that watched.

Says who?

KOdawg1
07-06-2021, 10:07 PM

I never said he was...

Todd4State
07-06-2021, 11:31 PM
We will have to run the ball more and give Will time for it to work. We are going to see the drop 8 and if we cant protect we are going to see some pressure with 3 man rush. The offense hinges on the OL. The rest of it is good enough to win 7-9 at this point. Ive said before, Leach is not going to call a run play. Every run is a QB check.

I feel like if you have five guys that they should always be able to block three unless those three are Reggie White, JJ Watt, and Aaron Donald or something like that.

Were our issues a not enough reps issue, was it a fit issue with the o-line, and how likely will we resolve it?

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 12:16 AM
I feel like if you have five guys that they should always be able to block three unless those three are Reggie White, JJ Watt, and Aaron Donald or something like that.

Were our issues a not enough reps issue, was it a fit issue with the o-line, and how likely will we resolve it?

The issue is SEC defensive lineman are much much quicker than olineman and the more you spread them out, the more you give their speed/leverage combination a chance to outmaneuver you especially at the Tackle positions. Wide splits will not work unless you are able to keep them honest with the run. If they know it's a pass play, it's like giving them a two step head start in a bull rush.

Jarius
07-07-2021, 09:10 AM
Says who?

Says the people who actually went to practices and talk to the coaches this past spring.

Hot Rock
07-07-2021, 10:07 AM
What I saw in these films that bothered me was the lack of separation by our WR's. The coverage ability by some of these defenses we face must be next level or something because we do not get separation easily. You just don't see open guys running around out there even with 5 out in a route. A year into the system, maybe we will have better route running and separation throughout the WR group and not just have one or two executing properly.

As far as Will and the QB position is concerned:

I think Pre-snap recognition, quick decision making and precision passing is way more important than having that big arm. This offense can become very methodical which requires high execution and a good grasp of the entire offenses so you can finish drives over multiple plays. They don't seem to take shots down the field until they are presented which usually comes after they have been executing at a high level for awhile. I know you can't be throwing rainbow passes out there all the time but Will seems to put plenty of zip on most of his throws and he is decisive and accurate which is an effective combination.

Will also seemed to be checking into more and more run plays as the season went along, that's part of that pre-snap recognition that is so important. I don't see anyone starting ahead of Will, at least for now, and I expect this offense to be much better this year.

I am looking forward to the season. I have ordered my tickets and I plan to be there. I fully expect to see some fun times ahead!

DownwardDawg
07-07-2021, 11:53 AM
What I saw in these films that bothered me was the lack of separation by our WR's. The coverage ability by some of these defenses we face must be next level or something because we do not get separation easily. You just don't see open guys running around out there even with 5 out in a route. A year into the system, maybe we will have better route running and separation throughout the WR group and not just have one or two executing properly.

As far as Will and the QB position is concerned:

I think Pre-snap recognition, quick decision making and precision passing is way more important than having that big arm. This offense can become very methodical which requires high execution and a good grasp of the entire offenses so you can finish drives over multiple plays. They don't seem to take shots down the field until they are presented which usually comes after they have been executing at a high level for awhile. I know you can't be throwing rainbow passes out there all the time but Will seems to put plenty of zip on most of his throws and he is decisive and accurate which is an effective combination.

Will also seemed to be checking into more and more run plays as the season went along, that's part of that pre-snap recognition that is so important. I don't see anyone starting ahead of Will, at least for now, and I expect this offense to be much better this year.

I am looking forward to the season. I have ordered my tickets and I plan to be there. I fully expect to see some fun times ahead!

Wear all your baseball NC merchandise. Hopefully it'll rub off on the football team!!!

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Says who?

Everyone with any football sense

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2021, 12:49 PM

That is a myth. The way we block it you are always going to end up with a 1 on 1 somewhere. You can go on and on about 5 against 3 but when it turns into 1v1 those numbers dont matter anymore. As a defensive coach that is about all you can ask for is for your best rusher to get a 1v1 and let him go win.

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2021, 12:50 PM

But I can tell you now the OL will be improved from a year ago. The whole team will be. We are not far off

thf24
07-07-2021, 01:05 PM
The issue is SEC defensive lineman are much much quicker than olineman and the more you spread them out, the more you give their speed/leverage combination a chance to outmaneuver you especially at the Tackle positions. Wide splits will not work unless you are able to keep them honest with the run. If they know it's a pass play, it's like giving them a two step head start in a bull rush.

The idea that defensive talent in the SEC collectively is on an insurmountably higher level is a myth at this point that only grows as time goes on. It's true for a handful of teams who also happen to be among the tip-top recruiting teams in the country, who we play two to three, occasionally four times a year. I expect the air raid to struggle more often than not against those top teams just like the vast majority of offenses we've ever put on the field have, but I'll believe it when I see it that this offense fully tuned up has a ceiling in the SEC across the board any more than any other conference.

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2021, 02:30 PM
The idea that defensive talent in the SEC collectively is on an insurmountably higher level is a myth at this point that only grows as time goes on. It's true for a handful of teams who also happen to be among the tip-top recruiting teams in the country, who we play two to three, occasionally four times a year. I expect the air raid to struggle more often than not against those top teams just like the vast majority of offenses we've ever put on the field have, but I'll believe it when I see it that this offense fully tuned up has a ceiling in the SEC across the board any more than any other conference.

The defensive talent is on another level in this league. Ask a lot of our staff and they will tell you. Spurrier Arnett all of them. This is a different world. Especially in the front 7

OLJWales
07-07-2021, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=BuckyIsAB****;1349135]The defensive talent is on another level in this league. Ask a lot of our staff and they will tell you. Spurrier Arnett all of them. This is a different world. Especially in the front 7[/QUOT

Going with bucky here.

thf24
07-07-2021, 03:43 PM
The defensive talent is on another level in this league. Ask a lot of our staff and they will tell you. Spurrier Arnett all of them. This is a different world. Especially in the front 7

I'll buy we've got the cream of the crop in our region; the NFL proves that much. But if the defensive talent across the board was truly so much greater that it makes an entire offensive scheme that works in every other conference non-viable (which I know isn't your position, just speaking to my original point), the SEC would be very close to undefeated in non-conference games, especially in the postseason.

calidawg
07-07-2021, 03:53 PM
I'll buy we've got the cream of the crop in our region; the NFL proves that much. But if the defensive talent across the board was truly so much greater that it makes an entire offensive scheme that works in every other conference non-viable (which I know isn't your position, just speaking to my original point), the SEC would be very close to undefeated in non-conference games, especially in the postseason.

Would be curious what the SEC W/L record against P5 teams is in the regular season last 10 years. Bowl games aren't a great indicator, too many other factors at play.

Jarius
07-07-2021, 03:54 PM
We play 8 teams a year with defenses on par to what Leach has seen his entire career. 4 non conference, Ole Miss, kentucky, vandy, Arkansas this particular year….none of those defenses scare Mike Leach. The other 4 are going to be tough to deal with but that’s the case with any offense we put on the field with any coach.

BuckyIsAB****
07-07-2021, 06:08 PM
We play 8 teams a year with defenses on par to what Leach has seen his entire career. 4 non conference, Ole Miss, kentucky, vandy, Arkansas this particular year….none of those defenses scare Mike Leach. The other 4 are going to be tough to deal with but that’s the case with any offense we put on the field with any coach.

We beat all of those teams last year if we dont turn it over. We are not far off. People forget why we lost to UK and Arky. We are a fumble at the foot line away from beating OM with 41 kids on the roster

bulldawg28
07-07-2021, 06:31 PM
We beat all of those teams last year if we dont turn it over. We are not far off. People forget why we lost to UK and Arky. We are a fumble at the foot line away from beating OM with 41 kids on the roster

I'm rolling with you this year.

Turfdawg67
07-07-2021, 06:49 PM

Very well said. No reason we shouldn't win 7-8 games / yr... minimum.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 07:10 PM

You need to work on your reading comprehension. Read what i said again. No matter what league you are in, the defensive line, mainly edge rushers, will always be quicker than the offensive front. Quicker feet, quicker moves.

R2Dawg
07-07-2021, 07:55 PM

The NFL says otherwise.

thf24
07-07-2021, 09:10 PM
You need to work on your reading comprehension. Read what i said again. No matter what league you are in, the defensive line, mainly edge rushers, will always be quicker than the offensive front. Quicker feet, quicker moves.

So when you said "SEC" in your post I first responded to, reading comprehension should have told me you meant "all leagues." Got it, will remember for the future.

Cowbell
07-07-2021, 10:58 PM
So when you said "SEC" in your post I first responded to, reading comprehension should have told me you meant "all leagues." Got it, will remember for the future.

"Defensive lineman are much much quicker than olineman" much like offensive lineman are stronger than receivers usually. That's the point. Nothing about defenses being better than offenses.

Hot Rock
07-08-2021, 10:30 AM
The NFL says otherwise.

Only 20% of NFL rosters come from the SEC. Sure that's more than any other conference but 80% of the NFL did not play in the SEC.

The big difference is that almost all the schools in the SEC have talent where other conferences taper off rather quickly after the top few teams. It's every week in the SEC that you see those type players.

I think that's why SEC teams fair better in the playoffs or in bowl games etc.. They are more hardened to the competition on a weekly basis.

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-08-2021, 03:03 PM
Yeah the average SEC DL is better than the average big 12 DL, but the elite of any conference would still ball out in the SEC. As was said, 20% of the NFL are from the SEC, which has about 12% of the schools. That's definitely better talent, but it isn't like the air raid is suddenly facing 2 first rounder DL a Saturday, or that Leach OLs didn't face NFL lineman at his other stops.

Hot Rock
07-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Yeah the average SEC DL is better than the average big 12 DL, but the elite of any conference would still ball out in the SEC. As was said, 20% of the NFL are from the SEC, which has about 12% of the schools. That's definitely better talent, but it isn't like the air raid is suddenly facing 2 first rounder DL a Saturday, or that Leach OLs didn't face NFL lineman at his other stops.

For sure, especially if you consider that he had was at place that had two of the worst places to go in WSU and Tech for NFL talent. It was rare he got a NFL talented player and he had to go up against them way more than he had them and he was still successful with his offenses.

BuckyIsAB****
07-08-2021, 05:22 PM
The SEC is the best conference top to bottom. But the gap is farthest vs the big 12 and pac 12. The ACC and Big 10 are closer but still aint there yet. Likely never will be. Probably never were its just the system of crowning a champ was so flawed before the mid 90s really

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-08-2021, 07:41 PM
The SEC is the best conference top to bottom. But the gap is farthest vs the big 12 and pac 12. The ACC and Big 10 are closer but still aint there yet. Likely never will be. Probably never were its just the system of crowning a champ was so flawed before the mid 90s really

Yes the SEC is the strongest top to bottom. I feel we have the most culture problems which can create massive dumpster fires of trash (TN under Pruitt, Ark under Morris) but the talent on everyone but Vandy makes the "danger" level week to week higher than it is in any other conference.

So, if you have a bad year -like us last year-, it's likely you get beat by everyone. Whereas that same team in another conference would still get destroyed by the top of that conference, but would be able to win a few vs other bottom dwellers. Fortunately, Leach has won big at Tech and WSU. That means his system, when run properly with a reasonable level of talent, can beat teams good teams with far more talent, and we don't have to worry that his success was only because his 50th best team got lucky that the 60th best team was in their conference and bumped the W-L record up.

Mullen never proved he could do that. I do think Mullen is a better overall coach, but his ceiling was lower than Leach. Leachs' system goes for broke every year, Mullen toned it back to where the floor was higher but we had no shot vs elite teams.

The fact is last year we had a OL doing the exact opposite of what they were recruited and trained for, our terrible WR room was asked to be the center of the O vs zone concepts they've never been taught to beat, and a mess at QB between a talented but brain dead transfer QB and a TFr. Oh, did I mention our premadona distraction of a RB, who was rightly kicked off leaving us with 2 TFr at the position?

That's an absolute mess of an O anyway you slice it. Would we have been better if Leach adjusted his system to our personnel? Yes. Can I draw any long term conclusions about his system based on last year? No.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2021, 08:24 AM
Yes the SEC is the strongest top to bottom. I feel we have the most culture problems which can create massive dumpster fires of trash (TN under Pruitt, Ark under Morris) but the talent on everyone but Vandy makes the "danger" level week to week higher than it is in any other conference.

So, if you have a bad year -like us last year-, it's likely you get beat by everyone. Whereas that same team in another conference would still get destroyed by the top of that conference, but would be able to win a few vs other bottom dwellers. Fortunately, Leach has won big at Tech and WSU. That means his system, when run properly with a reasonable level of talent, can beat teams good teams with far more talent, and we don't have to worry that his success was only because his 50th best team got lucky that the 60th best team was in their conference and bumped the W-L record up.

Mullen never proved he could do that. I do think Mullen is a better overall coach, but his ceiling was lower than Leach. Leachs' system goes for broke every year, Mullen toned it back to where the floor was higher but we had no shot vs elite teams.

The fact is last year we had a OL doing the exact opposite of what they were recruited and trained for, our terrible WR room was asked to be the center of the O vs zone concepts they've never been taught to beat, and a mess at QB between a talented but brain dead transfer QB and a TFr. Oh, did I mention our premadona distraction of a RB, who was rightly kicked off leaving us with 2 TFr at the position?

That's an absolute mess of an O anyway you slice it. Would we have been better if Leach adjusted his system to our personnel? Yes. Can I draw any long term conclusions about his system based on last year? No.

One thing with Mullen, he was always in try not to lose mode. He has opened the offense up more at UF. I wonder if that is him or Spurrier pushing him to do it. Anyone see that video of him writing on a white board and Spurrier walks in and "corrects" him and then walks back out?

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 02:19 PM
One thing with Mullen, he was always in try not to lose mode. He has opened the offense up more at UF. I wonder if that is him or Spurrier pushing him to do it. Anyone see that video of him writing on a white board and Spurrier walks in and "corrects" him and then walks back out?

I've always enjoyed Old Ball Coach's Assholedry but if he did that in front of players, not sure I'm on board.

Tbonewannabe
07-09-2021, 02:32 PM
I've always enjoyed Old Ball Coach's Assholedry but if he did that in front of players, not sure I'm on board.

I think if I remember correctly Mullen was breaking down a play and Spurrier picked up a marker and redesigned his play or something similar. It might have just been coaches in the room, not sure.

BuckyIsAB****
07-09-2021, 02:40 PM

If it is a normal year, no covid we go 7-5 and nobody is bitching. We won 3 SEC games, Mullen did that a lot. If Rogers starts vs UK and Arky we win 5 SEC games