PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen should take note of something Kiffin said on the herd

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2013, 01:03 PM
Colin Cowherd just asked Lane Kiffin,"what would you do differently in your time at USC?"

Kiffin said,"delegate more, I spread myself to thin and details were missed. Someone would make a mistake and I would micromanage."

With all of Mullen's staff changes and his insistance to call plays, no doubt this has been a problem.

BeastMan
11-14-2013, 01:06 PM
I was listening and thought the same thing. I thought Kiffin did a great interview

CJDAWG85
11-14-2013, 01:08 PM
I agree with this.

maroonmania
11-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I agree as well, we have talent but we are NOT a well oiled machine to be kind. Hiccups in special teams, not knowing how to lineup offensively costing timeouts at critical times, missed assignments, blown coverages in the secondary. Some of this is the sign of a young team and some of it is not enough attention to detail from the coaching staff. These are the type of mistakes you just don't see from a Saban coached team. And maybe Mullen is trying to do too much and not spreading the burden out among the staff. Hard to know unless you are there to see how things are organized and how practice and preparation are done.

Madkinmecrazy
11-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Colin Cowherd just asked Lane Kiffin,"what would you do differently in your time at USC?"

Kiffin said,"delegate more, I spread myself to thin and details were missed. Someone would make a mistake and I would micromanage."

With all of Mullen's staff changes and his insistance to call plays, no doubt this has been a problem.

I hope to God that Mullen doesn't EVER take anything that Kiffin says to heart.

DownwardDawg
11-14-2013, 02:21 PM
They both (Cowherd and Kiffin) also commented about coaches being as good as their QB. Colin brought up Sumlin and JFF, Pete Carol was 7-9, 7-9, and then he got Russel Wilson. He gave a few more examples and then he gave examples of coaches who chose pro-style QB's that didn't work out too well for them. It made me think about Mullen. Since I'm sure our AD has no plans whatsoever to hire Hud, I'm interested (excited even) to see what Mullen can do moving forward with Dak, Williams, Staley, and Fitzgerald. Maybe we'll turn into a perrenial 9-3 ball club.

DownwardDawg
11-14-2013, 02:24 PM
I hope to God that Mullen doesn't EVER take anything that Kiffin says to heart.

Kiffin will have another job as HC next year. I couldn't stand the guy either and then I watched his last few interviews on ESPN and on Gameday. The guy is very impressive if you just watch his demeanor and listen to what he says. He's a salesman and he knows just what to say. He will get hired soon.

Barking 13
11-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Kiffin will have another job as HC next year. I couldn't stand the guy either and then I watched his last few interviews on ESPN and on Gameday. The guy is very impressive if you just watch his demeanor and listen to what he says. He's a salesman and he knows just what to say. He will get hired soon.

plus his ole lady is smokin' hot...

DownwardDawg
11-14-2013, 02:46 PM

Well that certainly helps!!!

Jack Lambert
11-14-2013, 02:50 PM

Well James Franklin from Vandy pretty much said that was the first thing he looked at before he hired a coach. I still can't figure out how he got away with that statement or even sued by some coach who interviewed for the job but wife is ugly and did not get hired.

Madkinmecrazy
11-14-2013, 02:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in a booth or as an NFL assistant next year, but he'll be back as a college head coach soon enough. He's a snake oil salesman, but a salesman nonetheless.

It still amazes me that he parlayed a failed 1-year attempt in the NFL into an SEC coaching job where he barely broke .500 and managed to garner all the wrong types of attention. He then parlayed that mediocre year into USC, where he successfully drove the program into the ground so impressively that ED OREGERON is now doing a better job than him.

BeastMan
11-14-2013, 02:57 PM
They both (Cowherd and Kiffin) also commented about coaches being as good as their QB. Colin brought up Sumlin and JFF, Pete Carol was 7-9, 7-9, and then he got Russel Wilson. He gave a few more examples and then he gave examples of coaches who chose pro-style QB's that didn't work out too well for them. It made me think about Mullen. Since I'm sure our AD has no plans whatsoever to hire Hud, I'm interested (excited even) to see what Mullen can do moving forward with Dak, Williams, Staley, and Fitzgerald. Maybe we'll turn into a perrenial 9-3 ball club.

That was a great quote by Cowherd. He said something to the effect of with all the rules in football being geared to a QBs advantage, you're only as good as your QB

ShotgunDawg
11-14-2013, 04:19 PM
This seems to be a consistent theme with Mullen. He is a good coach, but will be much better when he stops being a control freak. He simply doesn't want help when it comes to recruiting, coaching, etc. he wants to so do it all himself. He will be a much better coach the day he decides to let his other coaches and the boosters do their job.

thf24
11-14-2013, 04:46 PM
These are the type of mistakes you just don't see from a Saban coached team.

While you're dead on with your post, the ironic thing is that Saban himself is a micromanager. It just goes to show that some can pull it off to great effect and some can't.

Coach 57
11-14-2013, 05:59 PM

I was waiting in the sarcastiricks from Downward. Where are they? Did he actually say something nice about CDM?

Todd4State
11-14-2013, 06:53 PM
I think USC was pretty much Kiffen's dream job, and he got it and then he basically tried too hard for a lack of better terms. I think the same thing happened to Cohen when he first got here, but I think he got through it and now he is probably going to be an even better coach.

Kiffen didn't get along with a senile Al Davis. Big deal.

Then he goes to Tennessee, runs his mouth and all of sudden his dream job opens up. He left the wrong way for sure- including poaching their recruiting class which left them in bad shape for a few years.

He took over a USC team that was on probation and I think if he had been given time, he would have probably done very well there. But that's a school that expects to win the National Title every year and they don't really care about the current state of affairs. You add the micromanaging and all of that on top of it and the alumni pressure was just too much for him to stay.

Todd4State
11-14-2013, 06:54 PM
While you're dead on with your post, the ironic thing is that Saban himself is a micromanager. It just goes to show that some can pull it off to great effect and some can't.

Or that some can micromange better than others. I would imagine that it's the assistant coaches on Saban's staff that feel the full brunt of the micromanagement moreso than the players.

DownwardDawg
11-14-2013, 07:02 PM
I was waiting in the sarcastiricks from Downward. Where are they? Did he actually say something nice about CDM?

Haha!!! I actually want him to succeed. I want what's best for MSU whether that be Mullen, Hud, or whoever. I wanted Croom to win so bad I could taste it. When it became apparant to me that he couldn't do it, I turned on him like a pack of wolves. I'm a fan, so I am going to be irrational at times. I send money to the Bulldog Club and I'm not enjoying the return on my investment right now. I just want to win. I don't want to turn this into another one of those threads, but I think we should hire you-know-who ASAP. That's not happening so I DO NOT WANT TO GET RID OF MULLEN TO HIRE ANYBODY ELSE!!!
I want Mullen to be our coach and I want him to win the SEC.

Coach 57
11-14-2013, 07:09 PM
Sounds good to me.

MarvinGardens
11-14-2013, 08:08 PM

He must continue with the salesmanship once he has the job. That may be tougher than the sales job needed to get the job.