PDA

View Full Version : Jess Davis transfers to MSU

Dolphus Raymond
07-03-2021, 05:04 PM
Good get?

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 05:09 PM
Yes a good get. Great outfielder no errors, gold glove winner who can fly. Didn't have a great year at the plate this but did the previous year. Lot of stolen bases.

smootness
07-03-2021, 05:44 PM
He would be out starting CF and leadoff hitter if we started the season today. Very good get.

OLJWales
07-03-2021, 05:48 PM
never understood how a senior regresses from his junior season.

msstate7
07-03-2021, 06:53 PM
Who is Jess Davis?

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 06:56 PM
Who is Jess Davis?

Transfer from uab. Centerfielder great glove and can fly, very good addition

TNDawg35
07-03-2021, 06:57 PM
Who is Jess Davis?

UAB CF. Dang good pick up. Will more than likely be our starting CF and hit at the top of the order… Like someone said above, he can flat out fly. He had 40 something stolen bases one year…

OLJWales
07-03-2021, 07:03 PM
We'll give him some Willie Mays Hayes training if need be.

https://i.postimg.cc/rpB6hj1C/Willie-Mays-Hayes.jpg

Cowbell
07-03-2021, 07:04 PM
Good get but I don't understand the thought that he will lead off or bat top of the order. He batted like .270 at UAB

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 07:08 PM
Good get but I don't understand the thought that he will lead off or bat top of the order. He batted like .270 at UAB

He had an off year this year because of some nagging injuries that he played through. Last year he hit .290 the year before 296. He's got some pop, good obp doesn't strike out much and stole 28 bases this year 6 last year in covid shortened season and 48 the year before

KOdawg1
07-03-2021, 07:18 PM
Don't look at avg for a leadoff hitter. Their job isn't to get hits. It's to get on base.

This guy does that. He puts the ball in play and has good speed.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 07:27 PM
Don't look at avg for a leadoff hitter. Their job isn't to get hits. It's to get on base.

This! And He's tough as nails and a grinder too. He fits our culture to a tee. He could've skipped some games this year and got completely healthy but he played every single game. I like that mentality and toughness.

Cowbell
07-03-2021, 08:17 PM
He had an off year this year because of some nagging injuries that he played through. Last year he hit .290 the year before 296. He's got some pop, good obp doesn't strike out much and stole 28 bases this year 6 last year in covid shortened season and 48 the year before

And I understand that, but historically we have kids hitting much better than that as leadoff

tireddawg
07-03-2021, 08:37 PM
And I understand that, but historically we have kids hitting much better than that as leadoff

And where has that gotten us? Oh wait....

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 08:56 PM

I'm not saying he's another rowdey, I'm saying he's a solid pickup and could very well be a great player for us. Lemonis wouldn't have picked him up if he was slug.

smootness
07-03-2021, 09:05 PM

Who else would lead off as of now?

Dawgcap
07-03-2021, 10:02 PM
Put yet again we have amazing talent evaluators crapping on our players. Some need to shut the hell up. It?s ridiculous

Dawgcap
07-03-2021, 10:07 PM
But not put. But you get my point. We have several who are always looking to bitch. Yep bitch. Grow a pair and shut up. A huge get and you look stupid complaining before he steps on the field. Funny thing is the same few will screen shot any compliment of said players. Lane Forsythe and others say hey. The complaints are a joke. The game is battle to be the best BELOW failure. Yep failure happens way more than success

Cowbell
07-03-2021, 10:52 PM
But not put. But you get my point. We have several who are always looking to bitch. Yep bitch. Grow a pair and shut up. A huge get and you look stupid complaining before he steps on the field. Funny thing is the same few will screen shot any compliment of said players. Lane Forsythe and others say hey. The complaints are a joke. The game is battle to be the best BELOW failure. Yep failure happens way more than success

No one Here is crapping on the guy. I said he was a good get. I actually watched him play for UAB some this year. I just hope we have someone batting 320+ leading off. Scotty Debrule is a good example. Great player but not a leadoff guy for us.

Cowbell
07-03-2021, 10:54 PM
I'm not saying he's another rowdey, I'm saying he's a solid pickup and could very well be a great player for us. Lemonis wouldn't have picked him up if he was slug.

CC - go back to my original post that you responded too. I love the pickup personally. Polk was super high on this kid early in the season. I just "hope" he is not our best option for lead off.

parabrave
07-03-2021, 10:58 PM

Billy Beane approves!!

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2021, 11:46 PM
never understood how a senior regresses from his junior season.

May have a lot to do with what's around him in the lineup.

In 2019, he had a good season & UAB was a .500 type team. This year they were horrendous. Without doing much research, it's reasonable that he had more guys around him in the lineup in 2019 than he did this year. When no one is around you in the lineup or on base, teams can pitch you different.

Needless to say, that won't be problem at MSU. He's a really good player

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2021, 11:48 PM

He doesn't strike out. I bet he hits over .300 for us. Gotta look at what is around him in the lineup. Players don't exist in vacuum

Commercecomet24
07-04-2021, 12:09 AM
CC - go back to my original post that you responded too. I love the pickup personally. Polk was super high on this kid early in the season. I just "hope" he is not our best option for lead off.

I gotcha but he can be a dynamic player. When's the last time we had some steal 48 bases? He's a great option as a lead off hitter. Doesn't strike out, almost 400 obp, can bunt and steal bases. Can you imagine a dynamic base stealer setting the table for some of our power guys? Imagine Kam getting more fbs because we have a base stealer on or any of our other power guys hitting behind him. He may not pan out we'll find out more in the fall but the kid can play.

Todd4State
07-04-2021, 02:07 AM
Seems like a good pick up. At worst we have another Brayland Skinner role player type. At best we have another Jacob Robson.

preachermatt83
07-04-2021, 02:47 AM
I have no idea about his hitting. One would think if he?s a 290 hitter at UAB he would prob be a 250 type guy here. But what I do know is he can steal bases like something I?ve never seen and if you have never watched him play cf you are missing a display. Without question the best college of I?ve ever seen. Im not embellishing. He?s absolutely unbelievable with his glove. Think Andrew Jones crossed with Kenny lofton.

Cowbell
07-04-2021, 06:50 AM
I gotcha but he can be a dynamic player. When's the last time we had some steal 48 bases? He's a great option as a lead off hitter. Doesn't strike out, almost 400 obp, can bunt and steal bases. Can you imagine a dynamic base stealer setting the table for some of our power guys? Imagine Kam getting more fbs because we have a base stealer on or any of our other power guys hitting behind him. He may not pan out we'll find out more in the fall but the kid can play.

I'm tracking you. He will pan out. I'm pretty sure we had a tough time against him

Commercecomet24
07-04-2021, 01:28 PM
I'm tracking you. He will pan out. I'm pretty sure we had a tough time against him

I really hope he pans out. He's an elite glove and a defender like we haven't really seen in cf(no offense to Jake because he was very good). If he can hit 290 and keep his high obp with the way he steals bases the middle of our order will get a lot of fbs and chances to drive in runs. He may or may not be the answer but he's a really good player and has a chance to help us.

Indndawg
07-04-2021, 01:31 PM
Yes a good get. Great outfielder no errors, gold glove winner who can fly. Didn't have a great year at the plate this but did the previous year. Lot of stolen bases.

ala, 1982 Cardinals

Commercecomet24
07-04-2021, 02:48 PM
ala, 1982 Cardinals

Man I've always loved the running game! It's an exciting brand of baseball. It puts the other team on edge and puts infielders in motion and pitchers and catchers on edge. I was a big fan of the White Rat when he was in KC and St Louis

OLJWales
07-05-2021, 12:55 PM
Man I've always loved the running game! It's an exciting brand of baseball. It puts the other team on edge and puts infielders in motion and pitchers and catchers on edge. I was a big fan of the White Rat when he was in KC and St Louis

This reminds me of the nightmares Vince Coleman and the Cards used to give me as a Met's fan when I followed MLB. I still remember all those walks to Vince. Drove me insane. "You don't walk Birds!!" I would scream at the TV.

Todd4State
07-05-2021, 01:02 PM
This reminds me of the nightmares Vince Coleman and the Cards used to give me as a Met's fan when I followed MLB. I still remember all those walks to Vince. Drove me insane. "You don't walk Birds!!" I would scream at the TV.

Dwight Golden gave me nightmares mowing down those singles hitters!

OLJWales
07-05-2021, 01:34 PM
Dwight Golden gave me nightmares mowing down those singles hitters!

Those were the days, no? Then the strike. Watched davey Johnson coach back to back TX League Championships then lucked out on game 7 tickets in '86. Gave Pat Perry and 2 of his fellow Arkansas Traveler teammates a night on the town one night after a game where chin music created an awesome bench clearing brawl. So damn long ago

Todd4State
07-05-2021, 04:42 PM
Those were the days, no? Then the strike. Watched davey Johnson coach back to back TX League Championships then lucked out on game 7 tickets in '86. Gave Pat Perry and 2 of his fellow Arkansas Traveler teammates a night on the town one night after a game where chin music created an awesome bench clearing brawl. So damn long ago

Jackson has had a lot of great players come through during their minor league career for the Mets, Generals, and the M-Braves. I remember the first baseball game I ever went to in Jackson in 1982 and I saw Daryl Strawberry hit a home run against San Antonio.
I was pretty mad at Con Maloney for saying that Jackson couldn't support a baseball team when he sold the team out. Now the M-Braves have been around longer than the old Mets and longer than the Generals.

Todd4State
07-05-2021, 04:45 PM

I like all aspects of that. But I like home runs too! I know we always had a George Hendrick or a Jack Clark in the lineup at that time but I always wished the Cardinals had another couple of power hitters to balance it out some at the time. Because then those mistakes to hitters that resulted in a Willie McGee single or double now become a home run with a power hitter.

Plus it seemed like if the Cardinals were facing a legit power arm they would have a real hard time because they didn't have the bat speed in general to overcome it at times.

CadaverDawg
07-05-2021, 05:13 PM
Speaking of Vince Coleman....he was the fastest dude on RBI Baseball on regular Nintendo, and if you bunted him just right up the first base line, you could bunt for a home run. Ah, those were the days.