PDA

View Full Version : The Pilgrimage to Omaha

TigerMomofaDawg
07-02-2021, 04:27 PM
Back in 2009, my dad and brother drove to Omaha and stayed the whole time and got the see LSU win it all. Both said it was the trip of a lifetime and that it was worth it?even though it cost them a ton of money. Our family is from Louisiana, and we are die-hard LSU fans, and they said that trip topped every single life experience they had ever had besides the birth of their children.

Fast forward to 2021. My daughter is a Diamond Girl at Mississippi State. Because of Covid, they could not travel to Omaha ?officially.? Nevertheless, she wanted to go. She could not go for the whole two weeks, so we gambled that they would make it to the end and rented an air bnb for the championship series. We figured it would be better to watch them possibly win it all at the end than go early and not be able to go back for the end. (She has a summer job and could not go for the whole time, so she had to choose.) After they beat Texas Saturday, we left the Coast at 3 AM and drove 16+ hours to Omaha on little sleep.

Attending those championship games and watching State win it all in person was just surreal. We had unbelievable tickets with a great view and were sitting near several players? families, and just seeing their absolute joy when we made good plays and eventually won was an amazing experience. My daughter even had tears in her eyes when we won. Being there, feeling that energy?well, nothing else can compare to that.

Our phones started blowing up in game two when our daughter was shown on ESPN celebrating, and she was even on ESPN?s highlight reel, so that?s cool. Walking around and seeing so many people you know from back home was also such an awesome experience. Even the drive up, seeing so many cars with MS license plates caravaning and waving to each other was also surreal. One maroon Escalade passed us, and the passenger held up a poster to the window that said, ?Dawgs finna eat!?Everyone knew we were about to watch a hit of history unfold, and we were not going to miss out on that.

The whole vibe up there was just amazing. The crowd was overwhelmingly from Mississippi State, and we just took over that whole town. Everyone seemed to just have faith that we would win it all?even after we lost that first game. No one up there doubted the outcome (though we were shocked that the last game was not even close). Even the locals were rooting for us. After seeing what the NCAA did to NC State, the really wanted Mississippi State to defeat Vandy.

We made it back to Starkville late last night and are heading to the Coast after the parade tonight. We spent a LOT of money going up there, but we have zero regrets! The bottom line; When State goes back to Omaha, make that trip. There?s nothing like being there in person watching history unfold.

SaintDawg
07-02-2021, 08:07 PM
Fantastic post! God Bless You and Yours and Hail State!!!!

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 08:08 PM
Thank you Ma'am and God Bless you and your family.

99jc
07-02-2021, 08:21 PM
Thank you Ma'am and God Bless you and your family.

I spent 5k going and would have spent 10....worth every penny been waiting on this since 1968.....Hail state!

TigerMomofaDawg
07-03-2021, 12:42 AM
?I spent 5k going and would have spent 10....worth every penny been waiting on this since 1968.....Hail state!?

Amen! You can?t put a price on an experience like that. No matter how much you spend, it?s worth it.

Oh, and how come my post has a bunch of question marks where I put apostrophes and dashes?

SilentSteel16
07-03-2021, 10:31 AM
Because you are on an iphone

viverlibre
07-03-2021, 02:32 PM
?I spent 5k going and would have spent 10....worth every penny been waiting on this since 1968.....Hail state!?

Amen! You can?t put a price on an experience like that. No matter how much you spend, it?s worth it.

Oh, and how come my post has a bunch of question marks where I put apostrophes and dashes?

We fared well. Left on Monday morning (in a Hybrid less than $300 round trip in gas), paid a total of $838 for three tickets each for games 2 and 3, and got a smoking deal on hotel rooms. I figure $100/day on food for three of us. Less than $2,000 for the 5 day trip.