PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have experience making their own deer burger?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-14-2013, 12:25 PM
I've been thinking about starting to make my own deer burger so I don't have to pay someone else and that I can insure that I'm actually eating the deer that I harvested. Does anyone have experience doing this? Got any recommendations or tips?

BeastMan
11-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Never done it but I have grinded beef before. I would suggest adding some fat to the deer since it's so lean. That's all I got

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Do you know much about the grinders themselves? I've heard people say that it's worth spending a little extra money to get one that is somewhat fast working because it can take forever with the cheap models. I guess if nothing else, I'll go buy one and do some experimenting.

Madkinmecrazy
11-14-2013, 03:29 PM
If you can afford a grinder and can locate some fat, go for it.

Go to a butcher and see if you can buy some beef fat from them, its usually pretty cheap if they aren't using it in their own grind. If you can't, you can always buy a brisket with a couple inches of fat on it and just trim off the fat (or you could just throw the brisket in there). Bacon works pretty well to add a little extra fat, but I've tried going bacon/venison only and was unimpressed.

You have to make sure that the meat is well trimmed though. Don't leave any of the "film" on the outside and try to remove as many ligaments as possible.

SoJackDog
11-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Let us know if you do it and how it comes out

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
11-15-2013, 08:24 AM
If you can afford a grinder and can locate some fat, go for it.

Go to a butcher and see if you can buy some beef fat from them, its usually pretty cheap if they aren't using it in their own grind. If you can't, you can always buy a brisket with a couple inches of fat on it and just trim off the fat (or you could just throw the brisket in there). Bacon works pretty well to add a little extra fat, but I've tried going bacon/venison only and was unimpressed.

You have to make sure that the meat is well trimmed though. Don't leave any of the "film" on the outside and try to remove as many ligaments as possible.
Thanks for the knowledge. I've also heard of people using the fat from a boston butt because of its high fat content, so I may try a variety of options. I'm going to do a little research and locate a good meat grinder. I'll try to take notes/pics and share my experiences when completed.

Crystal Balls
11-19-2013, 09:50 PM
I just mix regular hamburger meat with ground deer meat.Works great.Taste great.Easy to do.

I buy the 73/27 burger from wallyworld and mix it 50/50 burger and ground deer meat. Over the years i've mixed with bacon,pork fat and beef fat. IMO it's easier,cheaper and taste better using the burger.

FISHDAWG
11-20-2013, 09:47 AM
I just mix regular hamburger meat with ground deer meat.Works great.Taste great.Easy to do.

I buy the 73/27 burger from wallyworld and mix it 50/50 burger and ground deer meat. Over the years i've mixed with bacon,pork fat and beef fat. IMO it's easier,cheaper and taste better using the burger.

^^^ this makes a lot of sense and I will def try this - great idea ^^^

GreaterCowbell
11-24-2013, 10:53 PM

I've done this also works out pretty well using the tube of cheap ground beef. I've been processing my own for years. I age the meat for 10 days in cooler set at 37 degrees. Then de-bone, run it through my $80 dollar eBay grinder and vacuum seal. It will last forever.

Natedogg33
11-25-2013, 09:24 PM
That's a cool idea cutting it with the burger. I always make mine w/o the fat. I don't use it for burgers, so it doesn't need to hold together. Been gettin it from the processor for ten years or better w/o fat. They got lazy, and I started doing it myself. And a good grinder goes a long way. Pay the extra money.