PDA

View Full Version : Tracking the 2022 MSU Baseball Roster

ScoobaDawg
07-02-2021, 11:09 AM
Ok there has been a few small discussions about this Yesterday but I wanted to create something more centralized that could be tracked and updated.

2021 Draftees (Must sign by Aug 1st)
Will Bednar - 1st rd - 14th pick - SF Giants - SIGNED
Maddux Bruns - 1st rd - 29th pick - LA Dodgers (signee) - SIGNED
James Wood - 2nd rd - 62nd pick - SD Padres (signee)- SIGNED
Jordan McCants - 3rd rd - 88th pick - Miami Marlins (signee) - SIGNED
Tanner Allen - 4th Rd - 118th - Miami Marlins - SIGNED
Eric Cerrantola - 5th rd - 139th pick - KC Royals - SIGNED
Christian MacLeod - 5th rd - 159th pick - MN TWINS - SIGNED
Rowdey Jordan - 11th rd - 332nd pick - NY Mets
Houston Harding - FA Signing - LA Dodgers

Returning players as of 8/3/21 (23)
KC Hunt
Kamren James
Brandon Smith
Drew McGowan
Kellum Clark
Davis Meche
Cade Smith
Stone Simmons
Chase Patrick
Logan Tanner
Luke Hancock
Landon Sims
Kyte McDonald
Jackson Fristoe
Tanner Leggett
Parker Stinnett
Brad Cumbest
Preston Johnson
Brayland Skinner
Mikey Tepper
Lane Forsythe
Cam Tullar
Drew Talley

Reported Transfer Portal entries:

Eric Cerrantola - Drafted and Signed
Xavier Lovett - Texas a&m
Josh Hatcher - Kennesaw State
Landon Jordan - South Alabama
Jaxen Forrester - Lipscomb
Davis Rokose - UGA
Austin Reed
Shane Lewis - Chipola
Jared Shemper - Lipscomb
Kace Gardner
Brandon Pimentel - Texas-Rio Grand Valley
Dylan Carmouche

Our Starters for the CWS
Logan Tanner - Returning
Hancock - ?
Dubrule - Eligibility Done.
Forsythe - Returning
James - Returning
Cumbest - Returning
Skinner - ?
Rowdey - Gone
TA - Gone

2021 Signing Class (13)
Maddux Bruns - LHP - Saraland, Ala. - UMS-Wright Prep - Drafted and Signed
James Wood - OF - Olney, Md. - IMG Academy (Fla.) - Drafted and Signed
Jordan McCants - UTL - Cantonment, Fla. - Pensacola Catholic - Drafted and Signed

Cole Cheatham - LHP - Ardmore, Ala. - Ardmore
Jackson Conn - RHP - Jackson, Miss. - Jackson Prep
Matt Corder - UTL - Madison, Miss. - Germantown (Hinds C.C.)
Aaron Downs - OF - Columbus, Miss. - Heritage Academy
Tyler Haines - RHP - Phenix City, Ala. - Phenix City Central
Trey Higgins - OF - Oxford, Ala. - Oxford
Hunter Hines - C/1B - Madison, Miss. - Madison Central
Jeffrey Ince - IF - Brandon, Miss. - Jackson Prep
William Kohn - LHP - Verbena, Ala. - Chilton County
Tayler Montiel - LHP - Brentwood, Tenn. - Brentwood Academy
Jack Walker - RHP - Lake Charles, La. - Alfred M. Barbe
Andrew Walling - LHP - Castle Rock, Wash. - R.A. Long (Eastern Oklahoma State College)
Bradley Wilson - RHP/C - Irwinton, Ga. - West Laurens

2022 Transfers IN (3)
Matt Corder - Hinds CC
Jess Davis - OF - UAB
RJ Yeager - SS - Mercer

ScoobaDawg
07-02-2021, 11:11 AM
If you have any updates - Let me know.

Saltydog
07-02-2021, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I saw Kendall Rogers tweet on Hatcher and Cerantola. Both of those guys could be huge for us next year. I hate to lose Lovett too. He?s got a really good arm.

Homedawg
07-02-2021, 11:51 AM
Carmouche is in the portal.

Homedawg
07-02-2021, 11:52 AM
I can't see pimentel returning either.

Saltydog
07-02-2021, 11:57 AM
Question is, are we going to pick up players that are better? Hopefully coming off the year we just had we can do that but I guess it remains to be seen?.

Quaoarsking
07-02-2021, 12:02 PM
Are all of the portal players dead set on leaving, or just seeing what their options are before deciding?

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2021, 12:24 PM
Question is, are we going to pick up players that are better? Hopefully coming off the year we just had we can do that but I guess it remains to be seen?.

Based on the above we currently have 44 players vying for 40 spots. If all 5 draft risks don't come (which I think is unlikely), we don't have a lot of space for transfers. I'm sure we will get some, I just wouldn't count on some huge influx based on our current numbers.

StarkVegasSteve
07-02-2021, 12:32 PM
Pimentel and Kace Gardner are both in the portal.

StarkVegasSteve
07-02-2021, 12:33 PM
Are all of the portal players dead set on leaving, or just seeing what their options are before deciding?

The ones I've seen that are in the portal are probably dead set on leaving, especially the pitchers. Kace Gardner is the only one I could see us maybe trying to convince to stay since I don't know what our options at catcher are for next year.

Todd4State
07-02-2021, 12:44 PM
The ones I've seen that are in the portal are probably dead set on leaving, especially the pitchers. Kace Gardner is the only one I could see us maybe trying to convince to stay since I don't know what our options at catcher are for next year.

We have LoTan, Hancock, and Gray Bane for next year. We should be Ok but if a walk-on wanted to join that would be fine.

Ari Gold
07-02-2021, 12:47 PM
Hunter Hines is a draft risk as well..

StarkVegasSteve
07-02-2021, 12:48 PM
We have LoTan, Hancock, and Gray Bane for next year. We should be Ok but if a walk-on wanted to join that would be fine.

Forgot about Hancock still being able to catch too.

ScoobaDawg
07-02-2021, 01:02 PM
Pimentel and Kace Gardner are both in the portal.

removed from returning. added to portal.

ScoobaDawg
07-02-2021, 01:08 PM
Based on the above we currently have 44 players vying for 40 spots. If all 5 draft risks don't come (which I think is unlikely), we don't have a lot of space for transfers. I'm sure we will get some, I just wouldn't count on some huge influx based on our current numbers.

What are the current thoughts on the draft risks for the top 5. I don't know anything about either but would be great to get one of Kohn or Bruns.

Homedawg
07-02-2021, 01:14 PM
What are the current thoughts on the draft risks for the top 5. I don't know anything about either but would be great to get one of Kohn or Bruns.

Bruns is gone.

StarkVegasSteve
07-02-2021, 01:15 PM

I've heard that people around Mobile and UMS Wright are saying that it's going to take a strong offer to get Bruns to go straight to Pro Ball. Walling, McCants, and Wood are all gone out of all likelihood. We should get Kohn. I think we get Hines as well.

Saltydog
07-02-2021, 01:22 PM

IF Luke gets drafted, he?s gone. That much I know. Some say he won?t get drafted because he really doesn?t have a position to play but with the the walks combined with a low K rate someone is gonna take him?..

Ari Gold
07-02-2021, 01:29 PM

I know for a fact Hines is a draft risk. It’s not expected but if the asking number is hit there will a be a decision to make

DawgFromOxford
07-02-2021, 01:45 PM
Any MSU Alum that runs a business, pony up and sponsor some of these kids to convince them it's worthwhile to come to MSU instead of the draft.

Halfway joking...

basedog
07-02-2021, 01:57 PM
I know for a fact Hines is a draft risk. It’s not expected but if the asking number is hit there will a be a decision to make

I know his Uncle, he says Hines is excited about being a Bulldog, just saying.

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 01:58 PM
We've got some incoming hitters that are likely coming to school with big time potential.

Aaron Downs (slight draft risk), Trey Higgins, Slate Alford, and Hunter Hines are all big guys (hear that Yancy?) that have power potential.

You've also got Juco OF Matt Corder from Hinds CC that will challenge for CF. He hit .458 this year. Has good speed.

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-02-2021, 02:06 PM
What about this transfer from UAB?

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 02:09 PM

His name is Jess Davis.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2021)
- Appeared and started in all 54 games
- Batted .258 with 48 hits, 39 runs, seven doubles, one triple, three home runs and 30 RBIs
- Held a perfect fielding percentage with 186 putout and one assist in center field
- Had a season-high four hits versus Alabama A&M on Feb. 26, also drove in three runs during the game
- Second on the team with 23 steals on the season
- Has 77 career stolen bases, which is third all-time in program history

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2020)
- Season cut short due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- Appeared and started in all 16 games
- .290 batting average with 20 hits, 11 runs, five doubles, one triple, one home run and 12 RBIs
- Had a .435 slugging percentage and .342 on-base percentage
- Held a .955 fielding percentage with 41 putouts and one assist

FRESHMAN SEASON (2019)
- Appeared in all 56 games, starting in 54 of them
- Selected to the Conference USA All-Freshman Team
- Finished second in the country and led the conference with 48 stolen bases on the year
- Second most hits (64) and doubles (14) for the Blazers on the season
- Batted .296 with five home runs, 34 RBI and 50 runs scored
- Tallied a career-high four hits in a 4-for-5 effort with a homerun, an RBI and two runs scored in an 11-4 series-clinching win at FIU (5/5)
- Had 12 multi-steal games, highlighted by swiping a career-high five bags on five attempts in a 13-5 win over SIUE (2/16) to finish a sweep
-Went 3-for-4 with two RBI and three runs scored on top of the five steals in the final game of the SIUE series
-Also stole four bases on four attempts in both wins over Alabama State (2/27, 5/1)
- Posted a .970 fielding percentage
- Named to the Conference USA Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 02:14 PM

StarkVegasSteve
07-02-2021, 02:14 PM
His name is Jess Davis.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2021)
- Batted .258 with 48 hits, 39 runs, seven doubles, one triple, three home runs and 30 RBIs
- Held a perfect fielding percentage with 186 putout and one assist in center field
- Had a season-high four hits versus Alabama A&M on Feb. 26, also drove in three runs during the game

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2020)
- .290 batting average with 20 hits, 11 runs, five doubles, one triple, one home run and 12 RBIs

FRESHMAN SEASON (2019)
- Finished second in the country and led the conference with 48 stolen bases on the year
- Tallied a career-high four hits in a 4-for-5 effort with a homerun, an RBI and two runs scored in an 11-4 series-clinching win at FIU (5/5)
- Had 12 multi-steal games, highlighted by swiping a career-high five bags on five attempts in a 13-5 win over SIUE (2/16) to finish a sweep
-Went 3-for-4 with two RBI and three runs scored on top of the five steals in the final game of the SIUE series
-Also stole four bases on four attempts in both wins over Alabama State (2/27, 5/1)
- Named to the Conference USA Commissioner’s Academic Honor Roll

Sounds like he's the contigency plan if Skinner goes pro.

Ari Gold
07-02-2021, 02:17 PM
I know his Uncle, he says Hines is excited about being a Bulldog, just saying.

Yes he is.. just saying if the number is met ( which is a good possibility) there is going to be a decision to be made. I know this for a fact..

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 02:18 PM
Sounds like he's the contigency plan if Skinner goes pro.

I think he's being brought in to challenge Skinner for the CF job.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 02:23 PM

It's ok for Kace to go. I know why his juco stats were so good and why he didn't do a whole lot in starkville, i'll just leave it at that.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 02:25 PM
IF Luke gets drafted, he?s gone. That much I know. Some say he won?t get drafted because he really doesn?t have a position to play but with the the walks combined with a low K rate someone is gonna take him?..

Talking with scouts and only 20 rounds very doubtful he gets drafted.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 02:27 PM
We've got some incoming hitters that are likely coming to school with big time potential.

Aaron Downs (slight draft risk), Trey Higgins, Slate Alford, and Hunter Hines are all big guys (hear that Yancy?) that have power potential.

You've also got Juco OF Matt Corder from Hinds CC that will challenge for CF. He hit .458 this year. Has good speed.

I watched Corder play in person many times this year. He's gonna be a good player, may take some time to adjust to sec pitching but he has the tools and can run.

Cowbell
07-02-2021, 02:30 PM

I'm pretty sure this guy was a problem for us when we played them and Polk raved the whole game about him,

ScoobaDawg
07-02-2021, 03:19 PM

So is he officially coming or are we waiting to see what happens with Skinner first?

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-02-2021, 03:28 PM
Robbie says he?s coming.

ScoobaDawg
07-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Robbie says he?s coming.

Sounds good to me.
Added

TNDawg35
07-02-2021, 04:56 PM
Don’t be surprised if McCants is in Starkville next year. He was a 1st rounder, but has slowly slipped down. With the Natty, it has become apparent that he really wants to come to school and play against his brother.

We are getting to the point where Lemonis is just reloading with “his” guys and not just filling holes. It’s a new era…

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 05:02 PM
Don’t be surprised if McCants is in Starkville next year. He was a 1st rounder, but has slowly slipped down. With the Natty, it has become apparent that he really wants to come to school and play against his brother.

We are getting to the point where Lemonis is just reloading with “his” guys and not just filling holes. It’s a new era…

Yeah I've heard we have a real shot getting mccants on campus. He would be a big pull.

ScoobaDawg
07-02-2021, 05:17 PM

Who is his brother?

BeardoMSU
07-02-2021, 05:27 PM
Who is his brother?

Plays for OM.

TNDawg35
07-02-2021, 05:27 PM
Who is his brother?

The McCants at Ole Miss

Homedawg
07-02-2021, 05:29 PM

He was never graded as a first rounder. That was woods. And he would come and sit. Not ready for sec pitching. Meaning woods isn't.

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 05:47 PM
Yeah I've heard we have a real shot getting mccants on campus. He would be a big pull.

If McCants comes to school, I think he has a chance to start at 2B

The Federalist Engineer
07-02-2021, 07:49 PM
Bruns is gone.

Bruns is a possible Canadian is how the MLB scouting report reads ... the report implies Bruns Needs low stakes development not SEC starts at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP program like MSU.

Plus his HS coach gave him this advice.

"Maddux and I have talked about it, but it was on his terms,? he said. ?My message to him was, ?It just depends on what you want to do. If your goal is to play major league baseball, then you need to get started as soon as you can.? That?s my advice. ?If you want to play at State for three years, that is good, too. But you can get an education anytime. You can get an education online.? It just depends on what his goal is and what he wants to do. If his goal is big-league ball, he needs to get in as quick as he can."

The coach also implies Bruns is a 1 pitch guy. Fastball with a curve when he has to. The coach was Tanner Allen's coach too. Decent article.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2021/06/ums-wrights-kevin-raley-not-surprised-by-success-of-tanner-allen-maddux-bruns.html

HoopsDawg
07-02-2021, 08:48 PM
Bruns is a possible Canadian is how the MLB scouting report reads ... the report implies Bruns Needs low stakes development not SEC starts at a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP program like MSU.

"Maddux and I have talked about it, but it was on his terms,? he said. ?My message to him was, ?It just depends on what you want to do. If your goal is to play major league baseball, then you need to get started as soon as you can.? That?s my advice. ?If you want to play at State for three years, that is good, too. But you can get an education anytime. You can get an education online.? It just depends on what his goal is and what he wants to do. If his goal is big-league ball, he needs to get in as quick as he can."

The coach also implies Bruns is a 1 pitch guy. Fastball with a curve when he has to. The coach was Tanner Allen's coach too. Decent article.

https://www.al.com/highschoolsports/2021/06/ums-wrights-kevin-raley-not-surprised-by-success-of-tanner-allen-maddux-bruns.html

Horrible advice. Statistics now show your odds are better going to college first.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 08:57 PM
Horrible advice. Statistics now show your odds are better going to college first.

Absolutely, you're more likely to be a high draft pick as a pitcher out of college than high school. Hitters are a different story.

The Federalist Engineer
07-02-2021, 08:57 PM

Yes, that is true unless you really lose location and you need multiple years of A ball. Of course, you take the player as a college but this does not read like he is ready to be Leiter, Rocker, or Alex Lange next spring.

Read this:

"Gatorade's Alabama high school player of the year, Bruns made a huge splash at the Perfect Game National showcase last June, reaching 97 mph with his fastball and displaying two quality breaking balls. He never approached that performance the rest of the summer as his control disintegrated to the point where he had innings rolled over at multiple events. He's doing a better job of finding the plate this spring and has more pure stuff than any prep left-hander available, though he's still an extreme risk/reward play."

"he doesn't look completely comfortable and stills wings balls off the backstop. Some scouts think his stuff can be good enough to make him a big league starter with below-average control, while others worry he could max out as a reliever difficult to trust in high-leverage situations."

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

TNDawg35
07-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Yes, that is true unless you really lose location and you need multiple years of A ball. Of course, you take the player as a college but this does not read like he is ready to be Leiter, Rocker, or Alex Lange next spring.

Read this:

"Gatorade's Alabama high school player of the year, Bruns made a huge splash at the Perfect Game National showcase last June, reaching 97 mph with his fastball and displaying two quality breaking balls. He never approached that performance the rest of the summer as his control disintegrated to the point where he had innings rolled over at multiple events. He's doing a better job of finding the plate this spring and has more pure stuff than any prep left-hander available, though he's still an extreme risk/reward play."

"he doesn't look completely comfortable and stills wings balls off the backstop. Some scouts think his stuff can be good enough to make him a big league starter with below-average control, while others worry he could max out as a reliever difficult to trust in high-leverage situations."

https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/

Sounds like a left handed Cerantola...

ImissCityBagel
07-02-2021, 11:24 PM
Any MSU Alum that runs a business, pony up and sponsor some of these kids to convince them it's worthwhile to come to MSU instead of the draft.

Halfway joking...

Starkville really needs a baseball-themed restaurant that sells old-fashioned hot dogs, peanuts, and has an MSU baseball ambiance. I'd give that a substantial investment. Maybe call it "Omadogs" if that isn't trademarked.

MaroonFlounder
07-03-2021, 12:12 AM
Nobody has listed or mentioned Dakota Jordan. He must be a '23 guy?

ScoobaDawg
07-03-2021, 12:53 AM
Nobody has listed or mentioned Dakota Jordan. He must be a '23 guy?
He's class of 22.

ShotgunDawg
07-03-2021, 12:57 AM

This isn't true. Many kids turn down millions out of HS only to get hardly anything out of college. More college guys are drafted because they ask for less money & thus more get to the big leagues, but I'd bet you'd find the HS kids that get 7+ figures are pretty damn good.

OLJWales
07-03-2021, 04:34 AM
His name is Jess Davis.

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2021)

SOPHOMORE SEASON (2020)

FRESHMAN SEASON (2019)
- Named to the Conference USA Commissioner?s Academic Honor Roll

Thank God it's Jess and not Jeff. Lol

BiscuitEater
07-03-2021, 06:03 AM
Starkville really needs a baseball-themed restaurant that sells old-fashioned hot dogs, peanuts, and has an MSU baseball ambiance. I'd give that a substantial investment. Maybe call it "Omadogs" if that isn't trademarked.

Current photos of players, allow $$ for them!

SilentSteel16
07-03-2021, 09:52 AM
So does that mean Abners is about to go broke?

The Federalist Engineer
07-03-2021, 09:55 AM
Thank God it's Jess and not Jeff. Lol

So the outfielder pool is:

Clark, Cumbest, McDonald, Skinner, McGowan, J Davis, Corder

Clark and Cumbest should level up by a peg or two

McGowan, Skinner, and McDonald should be much better

Corder is a Hitter, 100 points better than firmer CUSA POY Luke Reynolds at Hinds

OLJWales
07-03-2021, 03:07 PM
Absolutely, you're more likely to be a high draft pick as a pitcher out of college than high school. Hitters are a different story.

Hey commerce, this reminds me of something I heard a while back that its harder to pitch to aluminum because the batter has a better chance of getting around on the inside pitch. So once they start pitching to wood, they find some extra zone to work with.. So if you are a great college pitcher, your already a proven commodity. Batters on the other hand have more to prove in adjusting to wood. Does this sound right?

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 05:21 PM
Hey commerce, this reminds me of something I heard a while back that its harder to pitch to aluminum because the batter has a better chance of getting around on the inside pitch. So once they start pitching to wood, they find some extra zone to work with.. So if you are a great college pitcher, your already a proven commodity. Batters on the other hand have more to prove in adjusting to wood. Does this sound right?

Pretty accurate. Pitching inside aluminum bats don't break and hitters can get cheap hits, happened a few times during cws. And it's a big adjustment for hitters from aluminum to wood.

KOdawg1
07-03-2021, 06:40 PM
This should be a kid that makes it to campus

TNDawg35
07-03-2021, 07:00 PM
This should be a kid that makes it to campus

How did we pull him out from under LSU??

99jc
07-03-2021, 07:22 PM
How did we pull him out from under LSU??

We ARE College baseball that's how.

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 07:29 PM
We ARE College baseball that's how.

This and we're kinda of a throwback team. Lot of talented kids out there that want that culture.

OLJWales
07-03-2021, 07:40 PM
So Jack Walker is not considering the draft? Solid offers from other power houses?

Saltydog
07-03-2021, 07:46 PM
Mabye it's just me but I'm not that impressed with Jess Davis. Good glove, sure but we're going to need some sticks and if he's only hitting .258 against the competition he's been facing what's he gonna hit in the SEC. We've got a decent glove in Skinner but he can't hit. Why bring in the same thing?

Commercecomet24
07-03-2021, 07:54 PM
Mabye it's just me but I'm not that impressed with Jess Davis. Good glove, sure but we're going to need some sticks and if he's only hitting .258 against the competition he's been facing what's he gonna hit in the SEC. We've got a decent glove in Skinner but he can't hit. Why bring in the same thing?

Davis had an off year this year because of some nagging injuries but he played every game and stole 28 bases. Last year he hit 290, year before hit 296, has good obp doesn't strike out much and stole 48 bases the year he hit 296(stole 6 last year in the shortened season).

KOdawg1
07-03-2021, 07:55 PM
So Jack Walker is not considering the draft? Solid offers from other power houses?

He's coming off a TJ surgery so I think scouts want him to come to college, get stronger, and do well vs. SEC hitting. He's going to be a steal.

Saltydog
07-03-2021, 07:57 PM
I've got an in at UAB. I'll see what I can find out......

Catfish
07-03-2021, 09:07 PM
Delete

OLJWales
07-04-2021, 01:06 AM
We can safely assume Lemonis has evaluated Davis and accept his decision.

Hambone
07-04-2021, 01:18 AM

After what Lemonis and company did this year you have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hell, if they announced that Gene Swindoll was signing to be our clean up hitter then by all means, get ready!

OLJWales
07-04-2021, 01:37 AM
I realize the concerns but Team Lemonis deserves leeway at this juncture. Commerce is a humble gentleman that prolly is one of the most knowledgeable baseball person on this board.

preachermatt83
07-04-2021, 02:56 AM
He's coming off a TJ surgery so I think scouts want him to come to college, get stronger, and do well vs. SEC hitting. He's going to be a steal.

Yessir he is. He very well could be a closer for us

maroonmania
07-04-2021, 08:24 AM

I guess I just have a different perspective than this HS coach. I don't think a guy should ever skip his college experience unless he is being offered life changing money out of HS that he risks never seeing again if he doesn't take it. I say that because you only get one chance to have the college experience (sorry, online education is not the same) and better develop as a well rounded human being. There is much more to life than just baseball EVEN for baseball players trying to play professionally. Going straight out of HS to the minor league life where you are just playing baseball and traveling all the time with mostly guys much older and only focused on sports is really not the best way for an 18 to 20 year to mature into life, its just not.

maroonmania
07-04-2021, 08:38 AM
This isn't true. Many kids turn down millions out of HS only to get hardly anything out of college. More college guys are drafted because they ask for less money & thus more get to the big leagues, but I'd bet you'd find the HS kids that get 7+ figures are pretty damn good.

Goodness, there are 'many' kids turning down millions out of HS? I find that hard to believe but if its happening at all it must be primarily happening at a place like Vanderbilt that can basically provide 'extra benefits' legally while offering a prestigious degree. I know they have gotten several first rounders to come to school. As far as I know, JT Ginn is the only player in our entire baseball history that has ever turned down that kind of money to come to MSU.

Offshore Dawg
07-04-2021, 11:20 AM
so are some of you guys saying that the Dawgs could be better next year

StarkVegasSteve
07-04-2021, 11:28 AM
so are some of you guys saying that the Dawgs could be better next year

Depends on development of a few guys. Obviously TA and Rowdey are big losses that will be tough to replace, but we were a young team this year for the most part. Guys like LoTan, KJ, Kellum, and Forsythe get a summer and an off-season to get stronger and develop more as hitters. I think it will again come down to what our pitching staff looks like. We need Fristoe and Cade Smith to both take a step up next year and be weekend starters for us.

Saltydog
07-04-2021, 12:21 PM
Not sure that'll be the case.....I know we're hyped but let's be realistic, we have nobody to replace TA, RJ and WB......Sure, we have some serviceable guys that will get better but those are some big shoes to fill......

smootness
07-04-2021, 01:50 PM
Our lineup should be quite good, but we don't know if it will be good or very good. And we really have no idea what our rotation will look like or how good it will be. We should be a solid team at absolute worst and the potential is there to be very good, but we really just have no way of knowing at this point what kind of team we'll have.

The Federalist Engineer
07-04-2021, 02:23 PM
Our lineup should be quite good, but we don't know if it will be good or very good. And we really have no idea what our rotation will look like or how good it will be. We should be a solid team at absolute worst and the potential is there to be very good, but we really just have no way of knowing at this point what kind of team we'll have.

It will be good, especially pitching- Fristoe, Cade, and Tepper are a high talent group AND you have a healthy Brandon.

You might get Harding and MacLeod back. With Sims, that's a very talented front 7.

If KC Hunt clicks In as expected, then it's another special pitching staff.

By the way, this is true for every team in the nation. Vandy without Leiter/Rocker, Hogs without Wiklander/Kopps, etc

SilentSteel16
07-04-2021, 03:12 PM
BTW at the beginning of the season we did not have Bednar penciled in. Let the chips fall and Lemo will figure it out. Can?t tell you how many times an Ace starts the year as Ace yet finished in the pen. Young arms coming in are stout. Same with the position players.

Commercecomet24
07-04-2021, 03:16 PM
BTW at the beginning of the season we did not have Bednar penciled in. Let the chips fall and Lemo will figure it out. Can?t tell you how many times an Ace starts the year as Ace yet finished in the pen. Young arms coming in are stout. Same with the position players.

Yeah Lemonis adjusted everything from the pitching staff to the lineup til he got what he wanted. Love the fact he's not afraid to tinker early and play a lot of guys to find out what they can do and where they fit. He really does play the long game and sees things down the road instead of instant gratification. It's been amazing to watch him manage the roster and lineup.

BiscuitEater
07-04-2021, 04:41 PM

Kid deserves a 'shot!'

"In Lemonis I trust"

Homedawg
07-04-2021, 07:21 PM
I'm worried about Preston Johnson and Stinnett.

Commercecomet24
07-04-2021, 07:37 PM
I'm worried about Preston Johnson and Stinnett.

We need both back.

AlSwearengen
07-04-2021, 08:07 PM
I thought Bednar was the No. 2 from the beginning but missed a couple weeks with a “stiff neck”. You guys are talking like he wasn’t a lock for the rotation, or am I misunderstanding?

Saltydog
07-04-2021, 09:22 PM
I'm thinking PJ may be gone. That last showing against Vandy may have moved his draft stock a bit.

CadaverDawg
07-04-2021, 09:22 PM
Even without the newcomers, we'd be serviceable at worst.

Cade
Fristoe
Hootie
MacLeod
Sims
Stinnett
Johnson
B Smith

Davis CF
James 3B
Hancock 1B
Tanner C
Clark DH
Mule RF
Leggett 2B
Skinner/McGowan LF
Forsythe SS

So we basically need to make sure guys like Hancock, Preston, and Stinnett return, and then if we have newcomers that can immediately provide an upgrade to Skinner, Davis, Leggett, or Forsythe...that's major icing on the cake. But even with the above group I feel like we'd be pretty solid. And we all should feel pretty confident that the above is not going to be our best lineup next season

BeardoMSU
07-04-2021, 09:34 PM
We can safely assume Lemonis has evaluated Davis and accept his decision.

"Na, and I can't wait until the game 1 thread in 2022 when we're down in the first so I can bitch more about how Lemon is ****in' up"

- some dipshit, probably

Commercecomet24
07-04-2021, 09:41 PM
"Na, and I can't wait until the game 1 thread in 2022 when we're down in the first so I can bitch more about how Lemon is ****in' up"

- some dipshit, probably

And you know it's gonna happen, lol!

Ari Gold
07-05-2021, 08:06 AM
On the SS situation with Lane
I will be the first to say I was all in on a transfer at the position and moving Lane to 2b
Not to say I’m still not if the right transfer or even recruit makes it campus

But I doubt they play the position better, Lane is a plus plus defensive SS already and not to make shitty comparisons
But didn’t Kessinger at OM his freshman year hit like a Buck 70 ??
Lane should continue to improve offensively

The Federalist Engineer
07-05-2021, 09:53 AM
I will be the first to say I was all in on a transfer at the position and moving Lane to 2b

But I doubt they play the position better, Lane is a plus plus defensive SS already and not to make shitty comparisons

Polk and Jay Powell both think Lane is still growing and will be much better.

Another thing, the pitching we faced in Omaha was about as good as could be faced in college. Lane may not have looked good batting but not many were going to look good batting versus this competition.

4 games started by a top-10 draft picks (Madden, Madden, Leiter, Rocker) + Quintanilla + McGarrity + Maldonado

the_real_MSU_is_us
07-05-2021, 10:46 AM

If the knock on Lane is his bat, then moving him to 2B doesn't help. Unless we get a better defender at SS, or 2 middle infielders that hit better than him, he should stay at SS.

And for other posters talking about not being bale to replace Allen and Rowdy... well... the same thing was said about Foscue and Westburg the year before, and the same thing was said about Mangum and Mac the year before that. College players leave every year, pitchers and position players. We have a LOT of big game experience coming back in both the lineup and staff, many with room to grow, and we have high ceiling guys coming in. That's as good of a position as anyone in the country. Not everyone will pan out and -like this year- there will be bumps early as we work out who has or hasn't panned out, but ultimately we should be good to go postseason

Coach34
07-05-2021, 12:10 PM
I’ll be surprised if Stinnet, Johnson, and Hancock return.

Madisonmd
07-05-2021, 12:18 PM
I?ll be surprised if Stinnet, Johnson, and Hancock return.

I will not be surprised if Skinner does not get cut in fall. Others feel the same. Does not compete offensively

KOdawg1
07-05-2021, 12:20 PM
I’ll be surprised if Stinnet, Johnson, and Hancock return.
I don't see Hancock getting drafted. I guess that doesn't mean he couldn't leave, but he really doesn't project anywhere at the next level.

Stinnett and Johnson leaving would hurt. They would have big roles next year.

trob115
07-05-2021, 12:26 PM
Stinnett and Hancock are both expected back.

PJ has a good chance of being drafted. He pretty much is what he is. He might could see a slight tick up in velo, but I don't expect him to stay if drafted.

Stinnett wants a shot at starting next year. He's got to work on control this summer.

Coach34
07-05-2021, 03:58 PM
I don't see Hancock getting drafted. I guess that doesn't mean he couldn't leave, but he really doesn't project anywhere at the next level.

Stinnett and Johnson leaving would hurt. They would have big roles next year.

Agree on Hancock. It was just mentioned he may move on. Would be good to have him back. A Natty can always change some minds. Stinnett and Johnson likely will be drafted. Only question is how much they will be offered.

Homedawg
07-05-2021, 08:20 PM
Agree on Hancock. It was just mentioned he may move on. Would be good to have him back. A Natty can always change some minds. Stinnett and Johnson likely will be drafted. Only question is how much they will be offered.

Yep.

preachermatt83
07-05-2021, 10:16 PM
Sims, Cade s, and fristoe is one heck of a rotation

Cowbell
07-05-2021, 11:06 PM
Polk and Jay Powell both think Lane is still growing and will be much better.

Another thing, the pitching we faced in Omaha was about as good as could be faced in college. Lane may not have looked good batting but not many were going to look good batting versus this competition.

4 games started by a top-10 draft picks (Madden, Madden, Leiter, Rocker) + Quintanilla + McGarrity + Maldonado

Lane went 4 for 11 against great pitching in the cws finals

Commercecomet24
07-06-2021, 08:43 AM

- some dipshit, probably

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BeardoMSU again.

Tbonewannabe
07-06-2021, 09:11 AM
Lane went 4 for 11 against great pitching in the cws finals

Yep, as bad as Lane was at the beginning, he had a couple of good games towards the end. He needs to learn to bunt and continue to get better. He is fast enough to make a good bunt a weapon.

Cowbell
07-09-2021, 08:22 AM
Sims, Cade s, and fristoe is one heck of a rotation

Why are people forgetting about McCloud? He's gonna redeem himself

StarkVegasSteve
07-09-2021, 08:50 AM

I imagine CMac is gone. He'll probably be picked anywhere between the 4-6th rounds and head on to pro ball.

Saltydog
07-09-2021, 11:48 AM
If he does it won't be because of Jess Davis. I've read all the hype and they are essentially one in the same. Matter o' fact, I spoke with someone very close to the UAB program and in the know and when I asked if he could hit SEC pitching the response was "it's gonna be a struggle".

ScoobaDawg
07-09-2021, 04:56 PM
I imagine CMac is gone. He'll probably be picked anywhere between the 4-6th rounds and head on to pro ball.

From Rosebowls latest pre-draft thoughts..
(https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Mississippi-State-baseball-major-league-baseball-draft-167588151/?fbclid=IwAR3nvEttCngB0iVHGhshFKYguEcaggRoZ2AXYTwh U00GsIHVdhKUrNzDI7k)
The latest projections suggest that Bednar along with weekend rotation mate Christian MacLeod, third baseman Kamren James, SEC player of the year Tanner Allen and fireballer Eric Cerantola should not have to wait long to be selected by pro baseball teams.
When and where they are selected will determine their baseball futures.

On the other side of things, Mississippi State's signing class may lose some members when the pro clubs pick teams. Southpaws Maddux Bruns and Andrew Walling along with Jordan McCants and James Wood are among the most likely to opt for pro baseball. There are some other signees who are expected to be selected, but those picks may not come soon enough to keep those future Diamond Dawgs from attending school.

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 05:04 PM
Would like to see stats showing lineups and how much $ each turned down to stay in school.

Cowbell
07-09-2021, 05:05 PM
From Rosebowls latest pre-draft thoughts..
(https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Mississippi-State-baseball-major-league-baseball-draft-167588151/?fbclid=IwAR3nvEttCngB0iVHGhshFKYguEcaggRoZ2AXYTwh U00GsIHVdhKUrNzDI7k)
The latest projections suggest that Bednar along with weekend rotation mate Christian MacLeod, third baseman Kamren James, SEC player of the year Tanner Allen and fireballer Eric Cerantola should not have to wait long to be selected by pro baseball teams.
When and where they are selected will determine their baseball futures.

On the other side of things, Mississippi State's signing class may lose some members when the pro clubs pick teams. Southpaws Maddux Bruns and Andrew Walling along with Jordan McCants and James Wood are among the most likely to opt for pro baseball. There are some other signees who are expected to be selected, but those picks may not come soon enough to keep those future Diamond Dawgs from attending school.

Thanks guys - I didn't realize he was draft eligible

ScoobaDawg
07-09-2021, 05:29 PM
Thanks guys - I didn't realize he was draft eligible

Same.. I haven't keep up with that stuff. even more complicated with the covid-year.

Coach34
07-09-2021, 06:16 PM
James is going to be the one to watch. If he goes 2nd round or early 3rd- he most likely wont return altho 1 more year of college is 100% what he needs

AlSwearengen
07-09-2021, 06:36 PM
Losing James would suck. If he could figure out the slider and show good defense, whether at 3B or in the outfield, he would be a 1st rounder in next year’s draft.

OLJWales
07-09-2021, 06:48 PM
Not worried bout next year. We will continue to crush everyone in our path and use their intestines to grease the axles of our War Dog Machine. IT has arrived and the pride and emotions of being a Diamond Dog just got even better. I'm convinced that's gonna be a special advantage for us for a very long time. Hail STATE

HoopsDawg
07-09-2021, 07:27 PM
Losing James would suck. If he could figure out the slider and show good defense, whether at 3B or in the outfield, he would be a 1st rounder in next year’s draft.

James would be a massive loss. He's going to be a stud next year at 3B.

Todd4State
07-10-2021, 12:56 AM
James is most likely coming back. He's in the Cape I believe and most guys that aren't planning on coming back don't go out there and play before the draft. He also didn't make MLB.com top 200 draft eligible players this year.

MacLeoud is gone.

Of the high school draft risks I'd advise all of them to go to school except for Woods assuming Bruns isn't drafted in the first round.

MetEdDawg
07-10-2021, 10:21 AM
James is most likely coming back. He's in the Cape I believe and most guys that aren't planning on coming back don't go out there and play before the draft. He also didn't make MLB.com top 200 draft eligible players this year.

MacLeoud is gone.

Of the high school draft risks I'd advise all of them to go to school except for Woods assuming Bruns isn't drafted in the first round.

The big thing we have to watch with these kids is who other teams draft alongside them. The big one I remember was Gray Fenter. Back in 2015 he fell to the 7th round and a lot of folks thought he might make it to campus. But the Orioles drafted some seniors in front of him, low balled them, and gave Gray a million dollar signing bonus in the 7th round. He took it and went.

I'm concerned about losing James for a similar reason. Team loves him and wants him. Drafts him and is willing to go above slot to get him because his potential is through the roof.

KOdawg1
07-10-2021, 12:02 PM

It's best for both us and MacLeod if he moves on.

Offshore Dawg
07-10-2021, 01:10 PM
Yeah Lemonis adjusted everything from the pitching staff to the lineup til he got what he wanted. Love the fact he's not afraid to tinker early and play a lot of guys to find out what they can do and where they fit. He really does play the long game and sees things down the road instead of instant gratification. It's been amazing to watch him manage the roster and lineup.
This is very true 👍

The Federalist Engineer
07-10-2021, 01:14 PM
The big thing we have to watch with these kids is who other teams draft alongside them. The big one I remember was Gray Fenter. Back in 2015 he fell to the 7th round and a lot of folks thought he might make it to campus. But the Orioles drafted some seniors in front of him, low balled them, and gave Gray a million dollar signing bonus in the 7th round. He took it and went.

I'm concerned about losing James for a similar reason. Team loves him and wants him. Drafts him and is willing to go above slot to get him because his potential is through the roof.

Have to keep recruiting like crazy to make the team robust to these possibilities - he's probably needing that additional year and his age is in his favor to stay one more year. He's a potential 1st rounder like Westburg if he comes back. I hope he does not short his own Stock value

calidawg
07-10-2021, 01:54 PM
It's best for both us and MacLeod if he moves on.

Agreed. No chance McCloud comes back.

Coach34
07-10-2021, 03:34 PM
aGain- that’s why I said to watch tomorrow where James is drafted. 2nd round- early 3rd....he is likely gone. 5th-6th round? He’ll likely return because he can get himself into the late 1st-early 2nd round next summer.

ScoobaDawg
07-12-2021, 01:32 PM
Will update as drafted. Must sign by 8/1

SilentSteel16
07-19-2021, 11:53 AM
Crickets on our guys and signees signing with pro clubs except for Tanner Allen

ScoobaDawg
07-21-2021, 04:55 PM
Adding new grad transfer - RJ Yeager - SS - Mercer
https://twitter.com/rj_yeag1/status/1417830989011853314

Goldendawg
07-23-2021, 03:56 PM
NM. Wrong thread.

ScoobaDawg
07-26-2021, 12:58 AM
Updated. Next update will be once draftee signing period passes on Aug 1st.

ScoobaDawg
08-03-2021, 08:53 AM
What does roster limits go back to this year?

vv83
08-06-2021, 10:17 AM
So anyone have a run down on who made it to campus from the draft? Both HS and current players coming back

TNDawg35
08-09-2021, 11:06 PM
So anyone have a run down on who made it to campus from the draft? Both HS and current players coming back

Best I can remember we lost
TA, Cerentola, MacLeod, Rowdy, Bednar off the current Roster.

McCants, Wood, and Bruns from the signee pool.

We jus reloaded this year seems like. Still havent really gotten Lemonis signing class due to baseball being recruited so far out, but we have some really good players coming in this year.

Also to note, Lemonis and Foxhall have gotten some top pitching prospects committed for the future. A kid from North Carolina and the kid from MS come to mind.

Todd4State
08-10-2021, 01:04 AM
What does roster limits go back to this year?

I don't know but my guess is that anyone affected by that would be allowed to be on the roster like before if they wanted to come back but I think most of that was taken care of naturally because we could only play so many guys and therefore most of the ones that didn't play much just transferred out.

Todd4State
08-10-2021, 01:06 AM
Best I can remember we lost
TA, Cerentola, MacLeod, Rowdy, Bednar off the current Roster.

McCants, Wood, and Bruns from the signee pool.

We jus reloaded this year seems like. Still havent really gotten Lemonis signing class due to baseball being recruited so far out, but we have some really good players coming in this year.

Also to note, Lemonis and Foxhall have gotten some top pitching prospects committed for the future. A kid from North Carolina and the kid from MS come to mind.

Typically, and I still think that this is mostly true the first two years really don't count because of how the recruiting cycle works. Year one is basically another coach's players. Year two is when the first recruits start to come in. After that the players start to become more and more from the current coach.

Choctaw Dawg
11-26-2021, 07:37 PM
The 2022 fall roster released a couple months ago had 43 players on it. In the past couple of weeks three guys have put their names in the transfer portal: Freshman Jeffery Ince, Freshman Tyler Haines, and Sophomore Kyte Mcdonald. I believe the roster limit this year is 40 and we are right at that number and the expectation is that 1-2 more will transfer before the season starts.

Saltydog
11-27-2021, 11:07 AM
The 2022 fall roster released a couple months ago had 43 players on it. In the past couple of weeks three guys have put their names in the transfer portal: Freshman Jeffery Ince, Freshman Tyler Haines, and Sophomore Kyte Mcdonald. I believe the roster limit this year is 40 and we are right at that number and the expectation is that 1-2 more will transfer before the season starts.
Hate to hear Kyte is leaving......He would add some much needed depth in the of......

Choctaw Dawg
11-28-2021, 03:20 PM
Hate to hear Kyte is leaving......He would add some much needed depth in the of......

Not really anywhere for him to go though, his defense is poor and his arm strength isn't great either. He was a good hitter when given the chance though

terradawg
12-25-2021, 08:11 PM
So just to get the ball rolling...who will be our Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starting pitchers? Maybe Landon Sims, Jackson Fristoe, then Stone Simmons. Any thoughts?

Choctaw Dawg
12-25-2021, 08:35 PM
Sims Fristoe and Cade Smith is my guess. Other guys that I wouldn't rule out would be Stinnett, Walling, and Tullar (he was brought in to be a starter for us last year).

I'm kinda hoping they keep Preston Johnson as a bullpen guy, Closers you will probably see KC Hunt or Jack Walker. Wouldn't rule out Tepper logging some bullpen innings too this year.

Todd4State
12-26-2021, 02:22 PM
So just to get the ball rolling...who will be our Friday, Saturday, and Sunday starting pitchers? Maybe Landon Sims, Jackson Fristoe, then Stone Simmons. Any thoughts?

I think it will be Sims, Cade Smith, and I think Andrew Walling will get a shot to start early since that's a big reason why he came to MSU. Walling didn't exactly do that great in the fall but that's the fall and only means so much. I could definitely see KC Hunt getting a starting job too as well as Fristoe of course. Preston Johnson will get a look because he has shown that he can go multiple innings. Jack Walker could win a job as a freshman as well. He's going to be a good pitcher for us.

Hambone
12-26-2021, 05:52 PM
I know he faded towards the end of the year but everyone that’s looked at us (Fitts and company) mention Fristoe almost every time. Makes me think Sims Friday Fristoe Saturday and Walling Sunday

The Federalist Engineer
12-27-2021, 01:47 AM
I know he faded towards the end of the year but everyone that’s looked at us (Fitts and company) mention Fristoe almost every time. Makes me think Sims Friday Fristoe Saturday and Walling Sunday

FWIW:

The buzz from Twitter is Sims, Stinnett, and Cade Smith

Sims is an All American, Stinnett is now an unhittable control pitcher, and Cade Smith was the top-Freshman with CWS proof-testing

If correct, this gives us a RIDICULOUS bullpen, best ever for MSU?

B Smith, P Johnson, Fristoe, Tepper (great at the Cape), Simmons, Walling, Hunt, Tullar

If Fristoe is our wildcard, that's a pretty huge wildcard. He's a 1st Round Candidate in 2022. He is not Cerantola that never actually showed us anything and was a hockey kid most of his life. JF is supposed to be a 1st Rounder, he is supposed to be a Flag Ship. But let's get real, JF did not look good in the Regional but Cade Smith was the Man in the Arena in clutch innings against the best teams in the nation. JF had 4 consecutive bad starts before Harding earned the #3 job.

But Fristoe is not the only wildcard with huge upside. B Smith, Walling, and Hunt are due a leap of performance. How high, could be game changing. I think a Bulldog will be the Kevin Kopps of 2022. Of course, I wear Maroon colored lenses.

Todd4State
12-27-2021, 12:59 PM
FWIW:

Sims is an All American, Stinnett is now an unhittable control pitcher, and Cade Smith was the top-Freshman with CWS proof-testing

B Smith, P Johnson, Fristoe, Tepper (great at the Cape), Simmons, Walling, Hunt, Tullar

If Fristoe is our wildcard, that's a pretty huge wildcard. He's a 1st Round Candidate in 2022. He is not Cerantola that never actually showed us anything and was a hockey kid most of his life. JF is supposed to be a 1st Rounder, he is supposed to be a Flag Ship. But let's get real, JF did not look good in the Regional but Cade Smith was the Man in the Arena in clutch innings against the best teams in the nation. JF had 4 consecutive bad starts before Harding earned the #3 job.

But Fristoe is not the only wildcard with huge upside. B Smith, Walling, and Hunt are due a leap of performance. How high, could be game changing. I think a Bulldog will be the Kevin Kopps of 2022. Of course, I wear Maroon colored lenses.

I would be surprised to see Stinnett start.

Choctaw Dawg
12-27-2021, 08:39 PM
FWIW:

Fristoe's problem was that because of Covid he didn't pitch all year his senior year. He was throwing a lot of innings as a freshman when he hadn't thrown in a game in a while. Sure you could make that excuse for most everybody but I think it effected him more

Homedawg
12-27-2021, 08:44 PM
I think it will be Sims, Cade Smith, and I think Andrew Walling will get a shot to start early since that's a big reason why he came to MSU. Walling didn't exactly do that great in the fall but that's the fall and only means so much. I could definitely see KC Hunt getting a starting job too as well as Fristoe of course. Preston Johnson will get a look because he has shown that he can go multiple innings. Jack Walker could win a job as a freshman as well. He's going to be a good pitcher for us.

First two correct. Walling has lots of work got do to get a weekend spot. He's not a strike thrower and he's trying to become one. While doing so his velo is down too. He will have to prove himself out of the pen and mid week starts.... walker is going to be good. We shall see who ultimately ends up as Sunday guy. Probably numerous people get a shot.

Homedawg
12-27-2021, 08:45 PM
I would be surprised to see Stinnett start.

Agree

Pancho
12-27-2021, 08:59 PM
So has Stinnett simply improved his ability to locate or developed a better slider?

Homedawg
12-27-2021, 09:38 PM
So has Stinnett simply improved his ability to locate or developed a better slider?

His slider was good last year. At least the bite on his slider. Location, now that's another story.

Todd4State
12-28-2021, 02:02 AM
First two correct. Walling has lots of work got do to get a weekend spot. He's not a strike thrower and he's trying to become one. While doing so his velo is down too. He will have to prove himself out of the pen and mid week starts.... walker is going to be good. We shall see who ultimately ends up as Sunday guy. Probably numerous people get a shot.

I agree about Walling. Unless he makes a big jump in the spring he won't make the rotation and really the only reason I mentioned him was because I know that being a starter here was our pitch when we were recruiting him. I could see Lemonis using him as a starter midweek to start the year barring a big jump that I mentioned but right now he just looks like a relief only guy. I could also see him ending up like Cerentola last year.

Todd4State
12-28-2021, 02:05 AM

He was better at it in summer ball. Not sure that I would just make him a starter based on his summer though. It wasn't like he had a Stratton/Dakota Hudson type summer in the Cape or anything like that. I don't think he even started in summer ball either but I could be wrong about that.

He'll be a good bullpen piece for us but he was honestly pretty lucky last year with how much he walked people.

The Federalist Engineer
12-28-2021, 02:07 AM

Fun preseason stats: 149, 115, and 125

Those were the opposing batting averages against Sims, Cade, and Stinnett in 2021.

Stinnett with control could be very special, that's why his great Fall is very interesting, D1 gave him a nice write up

Todd4State
12-28-2021, 02:11 AM
Fun preseason stats: 149, 115, and 125

Those were the opposing batting averages against Sims, Cade, and Stinnett in 2021.

Stinnett with control could be very special, that's why his great Fall is very interesting, D1 gave him a nice write up

Hard to hit something that isn't in the strike zone! LOL. Stinnett with control is probably our closer. But he's probably going to be a lot closer to Cole Gordon than Landon Sims. If he even is the closer. Preston Johnson and others will have a say in that as well.

The Federalist Engineer
12-28-2021, 02:13 AM
He was better at it in summer ball. Not sure that I would just make him a starter based on his summer though. It wasn't like he had a Stratton/Dakota Hudson type summer in the Cape or anything like that. I don't think he even started in summer ball either but I could be wrong about that.

He'll be a good bullpen piece for us but he was honestly pretty lucky last year with how much he walked people.

The 2021 Cape Hero is Mikey Tepper. But only pitched 9 innings, but 2-0 in 2 starts, 0.00 ERA

TNDawg35
12-28-2021, 02:21 AM
Hard to hit something that isn't in the strike zone! LOL. Stinnett with control is probably our closer. But he's probably going to be a lot closer to Cole Gordon than Landon Sims. If he even is the closer. Preston Johnson and others will have a say in that as well.

Early or late Cole Gordon? Cause if we talking Post Mullet, knee locking curveball Cole, bring it!!!

The Federalist Engineer
12-28-2021, 02:24 AM

We'll see. The player got 31 Ks in 18 innings with 13 SEC or Regional outings. Foxhall had many options.

Funny thing for me, I was alone in the same argument last year about Houston Harding

The Federalist Engineer
12-28-2021, 09:07 AM
His slider was good last year. At least the bite on his slider. Location, now that's another story.

Another thought on #3, who ever it might be. What we learned in Omaha is that this team can roll out 5 or 6 arms on a Sunday and keep batters under control.

Might be the way that Foxhall attacks the deep, experienced hitting teams like LSU, Arkansas, and OM. Never let anybody see the same pitcher twice

KOdawg1
12-28-2021, 10:19 AM
I think our rotation is Sims, Smith, and then a battle between Fristoe and Walling.

I think the closer could be KC Hunt.

Saltydog
12-28-2021, 12:08 PM
I think our rotation is Sims, Smith, and then a battle between Fristoe and Walling.

I think the closer could be KC Hunt.

I think Tepper has better stuff than Hunt! We?ll see how much he?s progressed! Kid?s got a big time arm for sure!

The Federalist Engineer
12-28-2021, 04:17 PM
I think Tepper has better stuff than Hunt! We?ll see how much he?s progressed! Kid?s got a big time arm for sure!

It's great to have so many prospects, considering that MSU ended 2021 with Bednar as the only original rotation guy still performing to expectations, having this quality depth and options is critical.

- Original #2 Pre-Season All American developed mechanical problems late and lost his snap
- Original #3 stayed at his freshman development level
- Original #4 went from Freshman All American to regular Freshman

Yet, still won a National Championship due to depth that could replace the expected performance

HoopsDawg
12-29-2021, 11:45 AM
Funny thing for me, I was alone in the same argument last year about Houston Harding

Say what now?

OLJWales
01-02-2022, 12:37 PM
If you have any updates - Let me know.

Not sure how I missed or forgot this thread. Good work and thanks Scooba.

Cowbell
01-02-2022, 02:05 PM
If I have learned anything about our coaching and the ever changing college game, it is that I am more concerned with how deep and effective our bullpen is than how good our starters are.

Todd4State
01-03-2022, 02:24 AM
The 2021 Cape Hero is Mikey Tepper. But only pitched 9 innings, but 2-0 in 2 starts, 0.00 ERA

Early or late Cole Gordon? Cause if we talking Post Mullet, knee locking curveball Cole, bring it!!!

Hopefully late Cole Gordon.

We'll see. The player got 31 Ks in 18 innings with 13 SEC or Regional outings. Foxhall had many options.

Another thought on #3, who ever it might be. What we learned in Omaha is that this team can roll out 5 or 6 arms on a Sunday and keep batters under control.

Might be the way that Foxhall attacks the deep, experienced hitting teams like LSU, Arkansas, and OM. Never let anybody see the same pitcher twice

I'm not sure that the staff would prefer to do that though. Would mean that midweek would be an adventure as well.

The thing about Tepper is he has to show consistent command. That's the key for him.

CadaverDawg
01-04-2022, 11:50 PM
My initial thoughts at the rotation would be Sims, Cade, and Simmons....but that would be 3 RHP's, and I'm thinking we'll want at least 1 Lefty starter in the weekend rotation. That leads to my next question....can someone list our LH arms? Do we have many LHP's? Bc I feel like having a few go-to LHP's is huge in postseason for matchups

The Federalist Engineer
01-05-2022, 12:16 AM
My initial thoughts at the rotation would be Sims, Cade, and Simmons....but that would be 3 RHP's, and I'm thinking we'll want at least 1 Lefty starter in the weekend rotation. That leads to my next question....can someone list our LH arms? Do we have many LHP's? Bc I feel like having a few go-to LHP's is huge in postseason for matchups

The starters used in the Inter-Team series and the Bama game were:

(A) Bama - Fristoe: 1 inning 1 Run 1 Hit (HR)
(B) B Smith - 4 innings, 5 hits, 1 run
(C) Walling - less than 1 inning with 4 walks, 4 runs, 9 batters faced
(D) Simmons - 3 innings with 5 runs, 6 hits
(E) Stinnett - 4 innings and 9 Ks and 1 BB, 2 runs
(F) Kohn - 1 inning, 3 runs
(G) C Smith -2 innings 6 runs

So after Sims, there were quite a few players given a shot to start in the fall. ED seems to have Sims and C Smith as given starters with #3 being different for each poster.

The 3rd starter by the 1st SEC Series seems like a great V-Cash betting topic.

CadaverDawg
01-05-2022, 02:15 AM
The starters used in the Inter-Team series and the Bama game were:

(A) Bama - Fristoe: 1 inning 1 Run 1 Hit (HR)
(B) B Smith - 4 innings, 5 hits, 1 run
(C) Walling - less than 1 inning with 4 walks, 4 runs, 9 batters faced
(D) Simmons - 3 innings with 5 runs, 6 hits
(E) Stinnett - 4 innings and 9 Ks and 1 BB, 2 runs
(F) Kohn - 1 inning, 3 runs
(G) C Smith -2 innings 6 runs

So after Sims, there were quite a few players given a shot to start in the fall. ED seems to have Sims and C Smith as given starters with #3 being different for each poster.

The 3rd starter by the 1st SEC Series seems like a great V-Cash betting topic.

Good idea on the V-Cash thought. So based on your knowledge of the team, who do you see as a possible left handed option both as a starter and/or a top matchup guy out of the pen down the stretch?

The Federalist Engineer
01-06-2022, 02:16 AM
Good idea on the V-Cash thought. So based on your knowledge of the team, who do you see as a possible left handed option both as a starter and/or a top matchup guy out of the pen down the stretch?

This a better Todd question. The lefties are Walling, Tullar Kohn, Cheatham, and Montiel.

Tullar is a roster player but did not pitch in the Fall. He was ok last year, after being a big recruit that the 2020 draft left behind. 6+ ERA in 2021 but half the runs in two outings. He made the CWS roster. He was used as a matchup guy in 2021.

Walling is the big upside guy (ranked 143 of 200 top MLB draft prospects) but with control issues. The young man is angling to perform, contribute and be drafted highly in 2022. That would be great. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/andrew-walling-681003

Kohn is the biggest lefty HS recruit, could be the lefty with the most innings/appearances pitched in 2022. He got lots of work in the Fall and versus Alabama.

If Foxhall can push the right buttons with big prospects like Walling and Kohn, that would be huge for 2022.

On closers, without Sims, I have no guess.

Todd4State
01-10-2022, 01:33 AM
This a better Todd question. The lefties are Walling, Tullar Kohn, Cheatham, and Montiel.

Tullar is a roster player but did not pitch in the Fall. He was ok last year, after being a big recruit that the 2020 draft left behind. 6+ ERA in 2021 but half the runs in two outings. He made the CWS roster. He was used as a matchup guy in 2021.

Walling is the big upside guy (ranked 143 of 200 top MLB draft prospects) but with control issues. The young man is angling to perform, contribute and be drafted highly in 2022. That would be great. https://www.mlb.com/prospects/draft/andrew-walling-681003

Kohn is the biggest lefty HS recruit, could be the lefty with the most innings/appearances pitched in 2022. He got lots of work in the Fall and versus Alabama.

If Foxhall can push the right buttons with big prospects like Walling and Kohn, that would be huge for 2022.

On closers, without Sims, I have no guess.

I think Montiel left the team. Tullar pitched bullpens only and I think I heard he had some minor injury but should be ready to go now. Kohn I could see as a LOOGY but I could also see him factoring in as a potential midweek guy too. Walling could be another Daniel Brown or Paul Young. Walling wants to be a starter but I think he is a relief guy.

Most people think KC Hunt will be the closer. I could see us maybe using Walling as a closer some along with Preston Johnson because Foxhall doesn't like to overwork our closers- see Sims. I know that drove us crazy sometimes and it probably cost us a couple of games during the regular season but Sims was ready when we really needed him.

The Federalist Engineer
01-10-2022, 05:20 PM
I think Montiel left the team. Tullar pitched bullpens only and I think I heard he had some minor injury but should be ready to go now. Kohn I could see as a LOOGY but I could also see him factoring in as a potential midweek guy too. Walling could be another Daniel Brown or Paul Young. Walling wants to be a starter but I think he is a relief guy.

Most people think KC Hunt will be the closer. I could see us maybe using Walling as a closer some along with Preston Johnson because Foxhall doesn't like to overwork our closers- see Sims. I know that drove us crazy sometimes and it probably cost us a couple of games during the regular season but Sims was ready when we really needed him.

Hey Todd, I am optimistic about Matt Corder for no other reason than I believe in numbers and differential stats. Never seen him play, he was injured for fall ball I hear.

He hit like 100 points higher than his nearest teammate and 130 higher than the team average at Hinds. Low Strikeouts and almost as many walks. He is not huge in size. He also lead his Summer team in hitting, he was the star man.

Is he the new Brett Pirtle (a legend)? Can he play OF for MSU?

Todd4State
01-10-2022, 06:49 PM
Hey Todd, I am optimistic about Matt Corder for no other reason than I believe in numbers and differential stats. Never seen him play, he was injured for fall ball I hear.

He hit like 100 points higher than his nearest teammate and 130 higher than the team average at Hinds. Low Strikeouts and almost as many walks. He is not huge in size. He also lead his Summer team in hitting, he was the star man.

Is he the new Brett Pirtle (a legend)? Can he play OF for MSU?

I like Corder a lot but I just don't see him contributing this year a lot because of his injury. I think he's an outfielder all the way. I wouldn't be surprised if he is our center fielder next year honestly.

Tbonewannabe
01-14-2022, 09:28 AM
Any freshmen pitchers going to make an impact? I am interested to see if Jack Walker from LA logs some innings. Not often that you get a National Pitcher of the Year into school.

Todd4State
01-16-2022, 01:16 AM
Any freshmen pitchers going to make an impact? I am interested to see if Jack Walker from LA logs some innings. Not often that you get a National Pitcher of the Year into school.

I'd keep an eye on Walker, Pico Kohn, and Cole Cheatham. Brooks Auger and Andrew Walling are potential impact JUCO's.

maroonmania
01-16-2022, 02:50 PM

You are asking for trouble though if you try to use someone who can't throw strikes as a closer.

Choctaw Dawg
01-24-2022, 02:31 PM
There are now 38 players on the roster for State.

It looks like Corbin Grantham and Taylor Haines have been taken off the roster recently. I know Haines announced he was transferring but never saw anything from Corbin.

Homedawg
01-24-2022, 04:12 PM
There are now 38 players on the roster for State.

It looks like Corbin Grantham and Taylor Haines have been taken off the roster recently. I know Haines announced he was transferring but never saw anything from Corbin.

Corbin didn't make the cut

fevans
01-26-2022, 04:58 PM

I believe Kace Garner is at Samford now. A friend of mine saw him at a camp or recruiting visit there last year and said he looked good with the bat.

https://samfordsports.com/sports/baseball/roster/kace-garner/7941

Pancho
01-26-2022, 05:52 PM
Catcher- Highfill

Todd4State
01-28-2022, 02:24 AM
I believe Kace Garner is at Samford now. A friend of mine saw him at a camp or recruiting visit there last year and said he looked good with the bat.

https://samfordsports.com/sports/baseball/roster/kace-garner/7941

As odd as this may sound I wished he would have stayed. Would have helped with depth even though he would have been the third guy behind Tanner and Hancock.