PDA

View Full Version : Does Will Clark have beef with State?

Lloyd Christmas
07-01-2021, 09:02 PM
His absence last night was notable, considering all the famous alumni in attendance. He kinda seems like a dick in general.

Hambone
07-01-2021, 09:07 PM
He kinda has a job with the San Francisco Giants.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 09:07 PM
I don't think so. He was in a video with former Dawgs wishing them well a few days ago.

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-01-2021, 09:08 PM
No. Read Rod Walkers article on him that he put out yesterday. It?s good.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 09:10 PM
Wills a good dude, just a little odd but who ain't.

SailingDawg
07-01-2021, 09:20 PM
Busy raising a family.

Turfdawg67
07-01-2021, 09:35 PM
No. Read Rod Walkers article on him that he put out yesterday. It?s good.

Everyone should read that! Supposedly he is very proud of this team and what the others before them have done. He said that he had goosebumps when they debuted the Thunder & Lightning statues and said what an honor it was. And was coming back for the parade held today(?). He's a proud Bulldog! Weird he never mentioned Polk in the interview. There is probably some stuff behind the scenes that most of us don't know about.

ETA... he's always been kind of standoffish and has been rude to fans at alumni games... but we all have are flaws.

State82
07-01-2021, 09:39 PM
Wills a good dude, just a little odd but who ain't.

Excellent point.

KOdawg1
07-01-2021, 10:00 PM
I know someone who knew Will back in the day.

He loves State, but he's not as sentimental about it as Raffy and others. Will isn't one to sign autographs, take pictures, etc. He kinda just does his own thing. I'm sure he's proud of State, but like others have said, he's kinda busy with other stuff.

OLJWales
07-01-2021, 10:37 PM
The only thing I like about Will is what he did at the Dude. My favorite swings of all time belong to Clark, Strawberry, and Brett. But he is at the bottom of my likable list for former Bullies. Got numerous reasons.

shoeless joe
07-01-2021, 11:10 PM
Clark is a lot like chipper Jones…the fire and the traits that made them as successful as they are also tend to make them come across as ass holes at times…I know it sounds weird but I don’t mean that as a negative.

Not everybody has or desires to have people pleasing skills…and I can relate.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 11:27 PM
Clark is a lot like chipper Jones…the fire and the traits that made them as successful as they are also tend to make them come across as ass holes at times…I know it sounds weird but I don’t mean that as a negative.

Not everybody has or desires to have people pleasing skills…and I can relate.

Yep this is a very good explanation of Will. Pretty accurate. Like I said Wills a good dude but he has a little bit of cockiness to him which is what made him so good.

OLJWales
07-01-2021, 11:31 PM
Yep this is a very good explanation of Will. Pretty accurate. Like I said Wills a good dude but he has a little bit of cockiness to him which is what made him so good.

I can't relate to him being a good dude from a STATE fan perspective. DAK is an example of a righteous STATE Dude.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 11:57 PM
I can't relate to him being a good dude from a STATE fan perspective. DAK is an example of a righteous STATE Dude.

I played against him and know him. You might've had some bad experiences with him but I haven't. Like i said he's a little cocky and little odd but a lot of talented athletes are.

Guess we'll just have to disagree on this one.

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 12:11 AM
I played against him and know him. You might've had some bad experiences with him but I haven't. Like i said he's a little cocky and little odd but a lot of talented athletes are.

How long has it been since he's shown up for us or made an appearance in STATE Gear? Seen him a long while back with Tulane gear in their dug out during game day in N.O. totally shit on Raffy with that trade shit. Clark couldn't hold Raffy's jock when it comes to school support and team pride. 17 Will Clark from my STATE fan perspective.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 12:14 AM
How long has it been since he's shown up for us or made an appearance in STATE Gear? Seen him a long while back with Tulane gear in their dug out during game day in N.O. totally shit on Raffy with that trade shit. Clark couldn't hold Raffy's jock when it comes to school support and team pride. 17 Will Clark from my STATE fan perspective.

Well as I said we'll just have to disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, but he's done plenty for State $$$. But it's cool you don't have to like him.

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 12:16 AM
From the article:

Clark will make the 300 mile drive from Prairieville to Starkville for the team's victory parade on Friday. He'll get a chance to go to his ranch in Macon, about 40 miles from campus. He'll get a chance to see that statue that gives him goosebumps. And he'll get a chance to celebrate something he helped start. So it's a drive he says is well worth it.

"I can see my place. And on top of that, go support the guys and the hell of a job they did."

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 12:22 AM
Well as I said we'll just have to disagree. You're entitled to your opinion, but he's done plenty for State $$$. But it's cool you don't have to like him.

From a non fan perspective, God Bless his family and their special needs child.

Turfdawg67
07-02-2021, 12:23 AM

Not even worth the time to type this... and actually, I don't need to, read my earlier post and C24's, Clark is a fan. 17 you, I'll take him over you any day of the week. Loser who's trying desperately to get his post count up.

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=KOdawg1;1347983]From the article:

Clark will make the 300 mile drive from Prairieville to Starkville for the team's victory parade on Friday. He'll get a chance to go to his ranch in Macon, about 40 miles from campus. He'll get a chance to see that statue that gives him goosebumps. And he'll get a chance to celebrate something he helped start. So

Todd4State
07-02-2021, 02:23 AM

I think part of it is the fact that he is from New Orleans too. It's just a completely different culture that may come across the wrong way at times. I've met Clark myself a couple of times and he was pretty cool to me.

Todd4State
07-02-2021, 02:28 AM

That's just the business side of baseball. It's really not personal. The real issue was they played the same position in MLB. But the Rangers/Orioles were never going to be able to afford both. They have to cover their ass. I actually would have loved to have seen both on the same team with Palmeiro at DH and Clark at first.

The other issue was that Palmeiro didn't like the attention Clark got for being on Team USA in 1984. Which was always odd to me since Palmeiro was ineligible for Team USA because he was from Cuba. But otherwise Palmeiro would have been a no-brainer for the 1984 Olympic team and would have gotten the exact same treatment. Also, the reality is they just aren't as close as our fans would like for them to be. That doesn't mean that they absolutely hate each other to death though. There is a middle ground.

thf24
07-02-2021, 06:25 AM
Didn't Will and Raffy also have some beef between them over the steroid issue at some point? Might be totally making that up but I feel like I heard that once some years back.

VandelayIndustries
07-02-2021, 06:57 AM
Yea they did, but I believe they have squashed it since

BiscuitEater
07-02-2021, 07:17 AM
Went to a Shreveport AA game with my young son and Will was thereon a rehab assignment. Will spotted my sons MSU hat, made a b-line to us, signed a ball for my son and had nothing but fantastic things to say about our fanbase.

He went out of his way and made a 'lasting' impact on my son and myself!

Patrick Tibbons
07-02-2021, 07:58 AM
I know someone who knew Will back in the day.

He loves State, but he's not as sentimental about it as Raffy and others. Will isn't one to sign autographs, take pictures, etc. He kinda just does his own thing. I'm sure he's proud of State, but like others have said, he's kinda busy with other stuff.

Anecdotal of course, but I, as a 17 year old a long time ago, did not have this experience. I was at a Catch-A-Dream auction at Old Waverly and spotted Clark. I went up and introduced myself and told him I was a big State fan. We talked baseball for awhile and he gave me shit about wearing an Atlanta Braves cap. He took several pictures with me and signed that Braves cap he was poking fun at. He couldn?t have been nicer to some random 17 year old kid who walked up to him while he was in the middle of a conversation with other adults.

Tbonewannabe
07-02-2021, 08:09 AM
Didn't Will and Raffy also have some beef between them over the steroid issue at some point? Might be totally making that up but I feel like I heard that once some years back.

He said something like he didn't respect cheaters or something like that when he was asked about steroids in baseball. I don't know if he specifically said something about Raffy but I think it was around the time of the hearing at Congress.

BeardoMSU
07-02-2021, 08:12 AM
He said something like he didn't respect cheaters or something like that when he was asked about steroids in baseball. I don't know if he specifically said something about Raffy but I think it was around the time of the hearing at Congress.

Most of it is in the T and L doc.

Liverpooldawg
07-02-2021, 08:16 AM
Look at the NOLA paper site. He will be there today.

sandjunky
07-02-2021, 08:29 AM

Man, did he bang your mom or steal your girlfriend? That?s a very unhealthy level of vitriol you?re spewing.

Have you ever thought he just might not be a ?social? person? People like that will do it when they have to but it?s extremely exhausting.

As far as giving, who knows how much if any he has given to the university - maybe he doesn?t want the notoriety? Maybe the only way Palmeiro donated was because he would get a building named after him

BrunswickDawg
07-02-2021, 08:38 AM
Man, did he bang your mom or steal your girlfriend? That?s a very unhealthy level of vitriol you?re spewing.

Have you ever thought he just might not be a ?social? person? People like that will do it when they have to but it?s extremely exhausting.

As far as giving, who knows how much if any he has given to the university - maybe he doesn?t want the notoriety? Maybe the only way Palmeiro donated was because he would get a building named after him

Next thing you know, Will will start saying he went to Jesuit High School during pre-game introductions instead of MSU and THEN people will REALLY melt!***

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 08:51 AM

Was drunk. I went too far on this.

sandjunky
07-02-2021, 09:06 AM

That’s what’s wrong with this ****ing society - always quick to make an excuse or blame someone or something for their behavior

Like being drunk is some kind of get out of jail free card and all is right because I wouldn’t say that sober - no all the alcohol did was free you to say what you otherwise thought but was too big of a ***** to say sober - accurate? Is that what you ar implying?

StarkVegasSteve
07-02-2021, 09:17 AM
Will played a very unabashed and brash style of baseball. He thought he was the best and let you know it every chance he got. It's not a bad quality to have when you have the talent to back it up. And I think that personality style bleeds over to his interactions with people sometimes as well. I've had both good and bad experiences with Will. Talked to him for 25-30 minutes one day about baseball and the changes he was seeing in the game and another time he barely acknowledged me. I think it really comes down to what kind of day Will is having.

StarkVegasSteve
07-02-2021, 09:18 AM
I feel like this is a joke....or at least I hope it is.

EDIT: Meant to respond to sandjunky's post.

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 09:28 AM
That’s what’s wrong with this ****ing society - always quick to make an excuse or blame someone or something for their behavior

Like being drunk is some kind of get out of jail free card and all is right because I wouldn’t say that sober - no all the alcohol did was free you to say what you otherwise thought but was too big of a ***** to say sober - accurate? Is that what you ar implying?

Chill, I didn't molest anyone. Finding out about the no show sparked memories of how disrespectful He twas to Raffy during the trade. At the end of the day I guess he has the right to be an asshole.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 10:08 AM
I think part of it is the fact that he is from New Orleans too. It's just a completely different culture that may come across the wrong way at times. I've met Clark myself a couple of times and he was pretty cool to me.

Yeah the South LA thing has a lot to do with it. It's just the culture, they tend to be brash, loud and obnoxious at times but I've played a lot of ball down there and made a lot of great friends over the years. When I played against Will we all knew who he was(and this was way before internet/social media). He was an arrogant,cocky competitor on the field who talked trash non stop, but before and after the games you could talk hitting with him and he would share stuff with you like you were his best friend. Like he said he's an odd cat at times, aloof and arrogant at times, but he still loves State and promotes the school. Heck all of us are a little odd, some more than others lol.

preachermatt83
07-02-2021, 11:35 AM
Will is alright but will Clark Is all about one thing? Will Clark.

Bothrops
07-02-2021, 12:06 PM

I'd go back and erase that post, just saying.

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 12:24 PM
I'd go back and erase that post, just saying.

Done..thanks for advice.

AlSwearengen
07-02-2021, 12:39 PM
Folks from south la are a different breed that are easily misunderstood until you get to know them and spend some time with them. Everyone has heard this but until you have experience with them, you don?t really get it. Their humor, volume, tone; every form of communication is different and is a little ?in your face?, compared to Mississippians especially.

There is also a baseball culture, especially in the New Orleans area that is a little different. There are old men leagues, really old, as in 70 yrs old and it is serious business. I have never heard of that anywhere in MS. I?m sure that baseball culture helped to form Will?s personality and playing style.

And I get the moodiness part. Some days, I can?t wait to hang out with friends and others, my dogs are the only people that I want to see. If I had been a famous player at State, ya?ll would hate my ass.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 12:55 PM
Folks from south la are a different breed that are easily misunderstood until you get to know them and spend some time with them. Everyone has heard this but until you have experience with them, you don?t really get it. Their humor, volume, tone; every form of communication is different and is a little ?in your face?, compared to Mississippians especially.

There is also a baseball culture, especially in the New Orleans area that is a little different. There are old men leagues, really old, as in 70 yrs old and it is serious business. I have never heard of that anywhere in MS. I?m sure that baseball culture helped to form Will?s personality and playing style.

And I get the moodiness part. Some days, I can?t wait to hang out with friends and others, my dogs are the only people that I want to see. If I had been a famous player at State, ya?ll would hate my ass.

Absolutely 100% truth.

Liverpooldawg
07-02-2021, 07:53 PM
He drove over 300 miles today to be there. I'd say he is still a DAWG. He has enough money not to care what we think. He didn't have to do that AT ALL. I'd say Thunder and Lightening represent well! Ralph in Omaha and Will today.

MagicDawg
07-02-2021, 08:03 PM
Will's speech at the Dude tonight was 100% positive about loving Mississippi State forever. Also... he looked pi$$ed off at everyone while he delivered it. It's just his nature and the way he's built.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 08:21 PM
Will's speech at the Dude tonight was 100% positive about loving Mississippi State forever. Also... he looked pi$$ed off at everyone while he delivered it. It's just his nature and the way he's built.

Lol definitely him in a nutshell

99jc
07-02-2021, 08:24 PM
I met him when he was a freshman at State. My 1st impression was he is a cocky Asshole... But that is his personality and he is ALL MSU!