PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to my ex-Brother-in-Law!!

GeoDawg
07-01-2021, 04:56 PM
So, Here's the deal. I grew up on a small farm in eastern Winston County. My dad didn't care for sports; they were a waste of time. And neither of my parents graduated college. So, I grew with no real college leanings.

Fortunate for me, my sister ended up going to Mississippi State and met a pitcher on the MSU Baseball Team and ended up marrying him. This would have been the mid-60's. I was really young when they married, but I think he could tell that I really liked sports and took me under his wing. He was my introduction to MSU Baseball. And, he's the main reason that I later attended and graduated from MSU.

As a player, he was never a major contributor for the team. In fact, he hurt his arm early on and never really played.

Years later, he and my sister divorced, and he later remarried. I somewhat lost touch with him after that. Regular conversations have become rare.

I texted him just a little while ago and reminded him that he will forever be a part of a National Championship Program.

It's a Great Day!!!!

Catfish
07-01-2021, 05:03 PM
So, Here's the deal. I grew up on a small farm in eastern Winston County. My dad didn't care for sports; they were a waste of time. And neither of my parents graduated college. So, I grew with no real college leanings.

Fortunate for me, my sister ended up going to Mississippi State and met a pitcher on the MSU Baseball Team and ended up marrying him. This would have been the mid-60's. I was really young when they married, but I think he could tell that I really liked sports and took me under his wing. He was my introduction to MSU Baseball. And, he's the main reason that I later attended and graduated from MSU.

As a player, he was never a major contributor for the team. In fact, he hurt his arm early on and never really played.

Years later, he and my sister divorced, and he later remarried. I somewhat lost touch with him after that. Regular conversations have become rare.

I texted him just a little while ago and reminded him that he will forever be a part of a National Championship Program.

It's a Great Day!!!!

Good for you, and you're right, he is part of it.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 05:22 PM
Great story! There's just so many stories like this in our fanbase and they're all incredible! I'm glad I was able to share our first nc with my 2 boys(ones coaching high school baseball and ones playing juco baseball), my dad didn't live to see this. I remember back in the late 70s when he retuned back to State to get his masters going to watch Nat(Buck) Showalter, Coach Polk and etc. in the early days of the Polk era. So many memories rushing back last night! Sorry didn't mean to hijack your thread. Thanks for sharing that! So many generations of Maroon have waited for this day and it took until the 21st century to get it but how sweet it is!

HAILSTATE!