PDA

View Full Version : Perry Costello

FriarsPoint
07-01-2021, 12:25 PM
All pressure from all sources needs to be brought to bear to make sure that guy never calls a game in Omaha, or any college town for that matter, ever again.

He was equally awful for both sides.

How in the hell does a guy like that end up behind the plate in the biggest game of the year?

Inexcusable.

StateDawg44
07-01-2021, 12:31 PM
Really was awful.

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2021, 12:33 PM
Not sure how you set up on the inside corner and still call strikes on TA and Hancock on those pitches. If we were crowding the plate both guys get hit square in the thigh.

ScoobaDawg
07-01-2021, 12:34 PM
Worst part of the CWS was the umpiring.. he wasn't the only one but by far the worse. Clark should of never had that 3 run bomb. Skinner was out at second and dubrule got ball 4 on a down the middle pitch, unbelievable... yea it helped us but still..

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 12:36 PM
They've got to do better with these umpires behind home plate for the cws. Absolutely embarrassing what I watched this week. These kids and coaches work their tales off the least they can do is provide better officiating on the biggest stage. Can't they find some minor league umps to at the very least call the finals? It's a joke when balls 8 inches off the plate are a strike and then one knee high right down the pipe is a ball. They should be able to find better than this.

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2021, 12:37 PM
Worst part of the CWS was the umpiring.. he wasn't the only one but by far the worse. Clark should of never had that 3 run bomb. Skinner was out at second and dubrule got ball 4 on a down the middle pitch, unbelievable... yea it helped us but still..

The strike zone was all over the place. Vandy got more "outside" calls than we did but we still got some that was hitting the chalk on the other batters box. The hitter is screwed on those. Best case scenario is fouling it off.

shoeless joe
07-01-2021, 12:44 PM
The bad thing is that Costello is seen as one of the best in the college game or either he wouldn’t be at the CWS.

Obviously I’ve been harping about this for years. And as baseball becomes bigger on the college stage something will have to be done. There were numerous embarrassing moments in this tourney. The “foul ball” for nc state, the terrible strike zones, and quite frankly the call to end it last nite (it was almost like he still thought it was a no hitter and wasn’t gonna let it be lost on a chicken shit bunt). And don’t forget the “no pitch” in the Florida regional.

But overall college baseball needs an overhaul with how it does umps. I don’t know what the immediate fix is but over time they could make some changes that would, at worst, improve the product.

CovertDawg
07-01-2021, 12:52 PM
Costello and the NCAA are lucky the game was a blowout. If this was a one run game then he is the story. Never seen an umpire setup so absurdly off the plate.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 01:07 PM
With the billions and billions of dollars the ncaa rakes in one would think they could hire/train better umps.

smootness
07-01-2021, 01:21 PM

It was low. Sure, he called some of those strikes but he also called some balls and for a true strike zone it was at least borderline. Not down the middle.

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-01-2021, 01:48 PM
Bart Gregory knew it before the game. Said it was unacceptable for him to be there

Randolph Dupree
07-01-2021, 02:07 PM
How about that pitch to Skinner. Right down the pipe, knee high and the dude calls ball four. It saved us an out but damn was that bad. There were lots and lots of bad calls but...just wow

Rex54
07-01-2021, 02:42 PM
Electronic strike zone is coming. Thank God.

They also need to take away the pitch clock if there are runners on base. Or go to a golf system where it takes an egregious pitcher to even be put on a clock. Honestly "time between pitches" isn't that big a deal.

ScoobaDawg
07-01-2021, 02:50 PM
Electronic strike zone is coming. Thank God.

They also need to take away the pitch clock if there are runners on base. Or go to a golf system where it takes an egregious pitcher to even be put on a clock. Honestly "time between pitches" isn't that big a deal.

name / link your source. I doubt that is true... like everything else you say.

Rex54
07-01-2021, 02:56 PM
name / link your source. I doubt that is true... like everything else you say.

I'm saying in general it's coming for baseball douchebag.

KB21
07-01-2021, 04:11 PM
Angel Hernandez wasn't available.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 04:22 PM
Costello made Eric Gregg blush with his strike zone.

ScoobaDawg
07-01-2021, 04:34 PM
I'm saying in general it's coming for baseball douchebag.

You have no proof. The umpires will fight tooth and nail to make sure it doesn't happen.

Rex54
07-01-2021, 04:41 PM
You have no proof. The umpires will fight tooth and nail to make sure it doesn't happen.

What are you talking about "proof"? They are already experimenting with it, genius. There would still be the same number of umpires working so I'm not sure why they would have an issue.... really bad take here Scoob

shoeless joe
07-01-2021, 06:36 PM
Costello made Eric Gregg blush with his strike zone.

At least Eric Gregg was consistent. He gave a giant outside corner all game. Costello picked and chose when he would or would not call strikes.

MSUMatt
07-01-2021, 06:55 PM
Y?all think he was safe at first last night on the final out?

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 06:57 PM
Safe no question but as Tanner Allen says "it don't matter"

WinningIsRelentless
07-01-2021, 07:39 PM
The problem with the college umpiring and refereeing circle is it?s so political. The way the selection works is who do you know, who?s ass have you kissed and how long have you kissed it.

What needs to be done is a grading system run by the coaches association. The grades would be made available online throughout the year to all coaches and at the start of the regionals you use the grades to select the umps for the regionals.

At the regionals the coaches grade the umps again but you also bring in three D2/D3 coaches/assistants and have them grade the umps strike zone as well. You take these grades and pick for the super regionals and repeat the process throughout until you make the championship series.

Turfdawg67
07-01-2021, 09:50 PM
The strike zone was all over the place. Vandy got more "outside" calls than we did but we still got some that was hitting the chalk on the other batters box. The hitter is screwed on those. Best case scenario is fouling it off.

Yep! He sucked big time. But fortunately he sucked for both teams.

TNDawg35
07-01-2021, 10:50 PM
Y?all think he was safe at first last night on the final out?

He was safe by a MILE... I saw a screen shot on twitter where the runners foot was on the bag and you could still see the ball like 3 feet from the glove. But like i stated, there was no way they were gonna review that with us already dog piling on the field. Props to Corbin for not pushing the envelope on that either. He could have very well took our moment for a review...

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 10:53 PM
At least Eric Gregg was consistent. He gave a giant outside corner all game. Costello picked and chose when he would or would not call strikes.

That's true about Gregg that's why Costello made him blush lol