PDA

View Full Version : MSU Baseball Mt.Rushmore, Who you got?

R2Dawg
07-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Boy this is a tough one.

Polk, Jake, Tanner, Lemo, Raffey, Clark, Bednar or Rowdey move up?

Do you count pro career in?

Polk and Tanner Allen are there to me. Too many great players, hard to settle on two more.

ScoobaDawg
07-01-2021, 11:20 AM
Cohen needs to be on there too.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 11:21 AM
You gotta get a bigger mountain.

shoeless joe
07-01-2021, 11:23 AM

That’s the truth.

At this point I don’t see how Allen isn’t there.

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 11:25 AM
That’s the truth.

At this point I don’t see how Allen isn’t there.

Tanner #1 Bulldog of all time right now imo .

shoeless joe
07-01-2021, 11:27 AM

Looking back now…was his HR against Virginia the single biggest swing in our baseball history? Sports history as a whole?

Commercecomet24
07-01-2021, 11:32 AM
Looking back now…was his HR against Virginia the single biggest swing in our baseball history? Sports history as a whole?

If it's not it don't take long to call roll. Yeah I think so.

BuckyIsAB****
07-01-2021, 11:33 AM
Tanner Allen Ron Polk Jake Mangum Cohen

MetEdDawg
07-01-2021, 11:34 AM
I think Mangum had his legacy cemented last night. He willed that first Lemonis team to the CWS and helped make this possible.

And I don't think it can be understated that he literally told Lemonis to his face in that press conference that he would bring the first title to MSU.

To me I think Polk, Raffy, Mangum, and TA

sleepy dawg
07-01-2021, 11:38 AM
Riding this high I'm on, I'm going with lemonis, tanner Allen, sims, will bednar

bgover4
07-01-2021, 11:44 AM
I think Mangum had his legacy cemented last night. He willed that first Lemonis team to the CWS and helped make this possible.

And I don't think it can be understated that he literally told Lemonis to his face in that press conference that he would bring the first title to MSU.

I agree Mangum belongs due to having a record that will probably never be broken and his loyalty and contributions to the program off the field and I honestly expect him to come back and be part of the program in the future in a major way due to his loyalty and love for the school.

Johnson85
07-01-2021, 11:48 AM
Polk, Cohen, and Lemonis all had a huge part in this, but I don't think any of them are on Rushmore.

If you're looking at players, I don't think you can leave off Thunder & Lightning. Even though they didn't bring home a championship, they were iconic and a huge part of our history. Then I think it's Mangum. Four year starter, great all four years. Even pitched some when we were in a pinch. And then I think it's Tanner Allen. SEC POY. First National Championship. 3 for 3 on getting to the CWS, starting as a freshman, being a big part of the lineup as a sophomore, and then being a leader on the one that brought it all home.

People will say that's recency bias, but I just don't know that you're going to find players that were such big contributors on big winning teams over three and four years. I'd probably drop one of thunder or lightening before I dropped Mangum or Allen.

ETA: Bednar's performance this world series was incredible, but he's going to be essentially a one year player for us. Just can't put him on Rushmore for one year, even as incredible as his CWS performance was. I can understand why some might disagree. I think that accounts for the lack of pitchers period. Just so few are big time contributors for three years.

ScoobaDawg
07-01-2021, 11:55 AM

It was a powerful moment when Mangum did that..and it's even more so now that it's lived up to it in the NEXT SEASON that a cws was played.

More chills and tears...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt9hmB5vgdM

ScoobaDawg
07-01-2021, 11:56 AM
I agree Mangum belongs due to having a record that will probably never be broken and his loyalty and contributions to the program off the field and I honestly expect him to come back and be part of the program in the future in a major way due to his loyalty and love for the school.

I hope he puts it together and has a long pro career first. That guy deserves it. I know he won't be outworked. if it's in the plan.. it will happen for him to make the big show.

MoreCowbell
07-01-2021, 12:16 PM
Man thats tough... I would go Clark, Palmiero, Rooker, Mangum, T. Allen

SilentSteel16
07-01-2021, 12:36 PM
I would have to go in order … Polk, Mangum, Allen, Lemonis and Raffy

To me, Clark is over hyped and Mangum and Allen went all out for more than 1 year. Heck I would put Macnamee in before will Clark. Bednar was great but overall legacy wise I don’t think he is in same light as Allen and Mangum.

Don’t get me wrong, Bednar is phenomenal and deserves at least ring of Honor but you look at what they did here. Much like Dak and football and Vivens basketball.

SilentSteel16
07-01-2021, 12:41 PM
I really believe Lemonis retires here with more than 3 titles. He seems to really understand how to manage a team. He did a phenomenal job since he has been here. Just can’t wait to see a complete team of his choosing to be on field. What he did with James and Forsythe and Hatcher was genius.

I told y’all that Forsythe was going to be special he is an ELITE SS and his bat will come around once the game slows down for him in the box. He will be SPECIAL. I really hate to lose Scotty Dabrule though. That kid is the definition of a baseball player along with Tanner Allen.

Bert Stare
07-01-2021, 12:43 PM
Heck I would put Macnamee in before will Clark. .

Wow. Some of you are really showing your youthful age. Holy recency bias, batman!

shoeless joe
07-01-2021, 12:48 PM
Wow. Some of you are really showing your youthful age. Holy recency bias, batman!

Yeah no credibility after that.

SilentSteel16
07-01-2021, 12:50 PM
I am over 40 but Clark does not have that alumni feel that Raffy and Dak have. Will Clark is and always was all about Will Clark. That is why I didn’t list MacNamee on the mountain, but I feel he has done more for our program than Clark. Not taking away what Clark did in the field, I am talking about True Maroon baseball. And sorry but Clark has a statue and that is enough. No bias just facts based on actions.

SilentSteel16
07-01-2021, 12:51 PM
Think what you want but Clark is self focused and not program focused even when he was here on the field. I am a Clark fan as well but Clark is not top 5 figureheads for M State. Polk is for sure and Cohen is higher than Clark.

SilentSteel16
07-01-2021, 12:54 PM
I certainly don?t need Bert Stare talking about credibility. Haha. That is hilarious.

RougeDawg
07-01-2021, 12:57 PM

Maybe a canyon. Like a Grand Canyon of baseball greats.

shoeless joe
07-01-2021, 01:14 PM
I certainly don?t need Bert Stare talking about credibility. Haha. That is hilarious.

At least someone picked up on that

Rex54
07-01-2021, 01:19 PM
Mount Rushmore is four

Bednar
Allen
Mangum
Polk

That's the four. Lemonis will one day replace Polk but right now THAT is the four.

Tbonewannabe
07-01-2021, 01:21 PM
I would have to go in order … Polk, Mangum, Allen, Lemonis and Raffy

To me, Clark is over hyped and Mangum and Allen went all out for more than 1 year. Heck I would put Macnamee in before will Clark. Bednar was great but overall legacy wise I don’t think he is in same light as Allen and Mangum.

Don’t get me wrong, Bednar is phenomenal and deserves at least ring of Honor but you look at what they did here. Much like Dak and football and Vivens basketball.

I love Big Hit Mac but Will Clark is the only player in MSU history to have the big individual award. Golden Spikes = Heisman = Naismith. Will was also right behind Raffy for the triple crown that year. It wasn't like Will had one good year.

As far as impact on the program, if I only have 4 spots - Polk, Raffy, Mangum, and TA. Will Clark would be my fifth if I get one and Rooker might be my 6th.

The Federalist Engineer
07-01-2021, 01:21 PM
Think what you want but Clark is self focused and not program focused even when he was here on the field. I am a Clark fan as well but Clark is not top 5 figureheads for M State. Polk is for sure and Cohen is higher than Clark.

Cohen's case:

(1) recruited all the 8th graders that won it all yesterday back in 2012/2013
(2) hired Lemonis
(3) built Dude-2
(4) managed the first championship series in 2013
(5) rescue the program from Polk II
(6) AD for multiple NC opportunities
(7) as a player, not a huge deal, but a HR of Russ Springer won an LSU game
(8) recruited and developed Brent Rooker and Renfroe
(9) the epic Florida Super Regional in 2011, Totally outmanned, Nearly took out #1

Case against him
(1) Starter but not an All American
(2) Lost Mullen to Florida
(3) Lost Vic to Texas
(4) Hired Moorehead

smootness
07-01-2021, 01:26 PM
Allen
Clark
Mangum
Polk

SilentSteel16
07-01-2021, 01:39 PM
It is great that we have so many great players, but now we have a NATIONAL TITLE TO GO WITH THEM. Hail State and this team proved that you need a team of guys playing together to win it all, not individuals. Bednar was great and we would not have won it without him, that is for sure. Our program is a top program and will continue to grow under the leadership of Lemo

I am forever thankful for guys like Raffy and Clark and Mangum. But it was THIS TEAM that won it all for us. They were all great and HAIL STATE.

SilentSteel16
07-01-2021, 01:41 PM
I still think Polk number one, then Mangum, Allen and Raffy. Thankful for everyone from Maholm to Bednar for building this legacy that is continuing to strive. Sims was phenomenal also.

Dawg2003
07-02-2021, 02:09 PM
Here's my reasoning on why Bednar should be included. We could not have won this without him. There was no backup on that roster that could have done what he did. He put the team on his back. Bednar has to be there because he was the one pitcher we had that gave us a chance to break the curse. We have no natty without Bednar.

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 03:30 PM
Mount Rushmore is four

Bednar
Allen
Mangum
Polk

That's the four. Lemonis will one day replace Polk but right now THAT is the four.

Polk's been in Lemonis' rear view a while now. I say go with those who took us to the pinnacle of greatness.

Lemonis...Bednar..Tanner...Sims...Rowdy....gotta have at least 5 ....Mount Vegas

msstatelp1
07-02-2021, 03:38 PM
It starts with Dudy Noble. Without him, there's a significant chance none of the rest happens. Plus he hired the greatest voice in college sports history.

LC Dawg
07-02-2021, 03:42 PM
I'm going to make it easier on myself and say it's players only and go Clark, Palmeiro, Mangum, Allen.
It's actually probably best that we don't put Polk's face on a mountain because he's still pretty peculiar and he could get mad and demand we take his face off the mountain.

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 03:44 PM
I'm going to make it easier on myself and say it's players only and go Clark, Palmeiro, Mangum, Allen.
It's actually probably best that we don't put Polk's face on a mountain because he's still pretty peculiar and he could get mad and demand we take his face off the mountain.

Rep.

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 03:54 PM

I'm with you.

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 03:57 PM
Do we have to pick 4?

Can't we just carve 12 smaller faces instead of 4 big ones? Mt. Rushmore is a big piece of rock ya know

SteelCurtain74
07-02-2021, 03:59 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Boo Ferris.

Lord McBuckethead
07-02-2021, 05:02 PM
Boy this is a tough one.

Polk, Jake, Tanner, Lemo, Raffey, Clark, Bednar or Rowdey move up?

Do you count pro career in?

Polk and Tanner Allen are there to me. Too many great players, hard to settle on two more.

There are now two types of players and coaches in our history, those that have a ring, and those that do not. I am taking Lane Forsythe over Will Clark and Palmers. Lane is a winner. Plain and simple.

Winning a championship Cowbell has now changed everything I thought I knew and turned it on its head.

Lord McBuckethead
07-02-2021, 05:03 PM
I'm with you.

I also concur that Tanner Allen is the #1 MSU Bulldog baseball player of all time.

Lord McBuckethead
07-02-2021, 05:07 PM
Allen, Rowdey, Bednar, Sims, Mangum, Palmero, Clark, B Rocker, Brantley, Mitch Moreland, Thigpen, Polk, Lemonis, Cohen

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-02-2021, 05:47 PM
Our MT Rushmore candidates are so good we have two triple crown winners that can?t get on! Lol

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 05:54 PM
Our MT Rushmore candidates are so good we have two triple crown winners that can?t get on! Lol

How did Rooker not get the Golden Spike? I forget.

KOdawg1
07-02-2021, 05:58 PM
How did Rooker not get the Golden Spike? I forget.

Brendan McKay at Louisville.

Hit .341, 18 HRs, 51 RBIs and went 8-3, 2.22 ERA, and 116 Ks on the mound

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 06:12 PM
Brendan McKay at Louisville.

Hit .341, 18 HRs, 51 RBIs and went 8-3, 2.22 ERA, and 116 Ks on the mound

Wait a minute. A starting pitcher who played every day? When he pitched was another player DH'd for? What an advantage for a team. I admit that is impressive and quite Ruthian.

Rex54
07-02-2021, 08:05 PM
Here's my reasoning on why Bednar should be included. We could not have won this without him. There was no backup on that roster that could have done what he did. He put the team on his back. Bednar has to be there because he was the one pitcher we had that gave us a chance to break the curse. We have no natty without Bednar.

Agree. Bednar is the first name on my list. Allen and Mangum next. Then you have a choice of Polk, Lemonis, Rooker, Clark, Palmeiro, Renfroe, etc.

OLJWales
07-02-2021, 08:10 PM
I will admit, Mangum touched my Bulldog Heart as much if not the most as any.

SilentSteel16
07-02-2021, 08:22 PM
I don’t think there are any wrong answers here but I think it is a consensus that Allen, Mangum and Raffy are top 3. I get that Clark is the GS winner, I just can’t put him on there before those 3. Bednar was phenomenal as well, but I really believe Ron Polk should get the nod, and yes I think Lemo has or is about to pass him up. But Polk was a founding father.

chef dixon
07-02-2021, 08:30 PM
Bednar is a tough one. 2 weeks ago he's not even top 50. But he went god mode to help us secure a natty.

Lord McBuckethead
07-02-2021, 08:38 PM
I don’t think there are any wrong answers here but I think it is a consensus that Allen, Mangum and Raffy are top 3. I get that Clark is the GS winner, I just can’t put him on there before those 3. Bednar was phenomenal as well, but I really believe Ron Polk should get the nod, and yes I think Lemo has or is about to pass him up. But Polk was a founding father.

You can't put Polk on there if you don't put lemonis on there. Polk built college baseball, but Lemonis won it. I will always rank someone on this team over those before this team, cause they are champions and yes all those before helped us get there, but they didn't do it. This team did.

Rex54
07-02-2021, 08:44 PM
but I think it is a consensus that Allen, Mangum and Raffy are top 3.

Not quite

SilentSteel16
07-02-2021, 08:58 PM
You put Polk on their just like you put Washington on Rushmore. He was the founding father. He would go first. And Rex if you don’t think that Allen and Mangum are 1 and 2 you are crazy. Legacy wise it would be Raffy or Clark on throwback but I really believe that Allen and Mangum legacy wise are superior to Raffy and Clark. And that is not knocking Thunder and Lightning but they already have a statue. Polk is on the stadium along with Dudy. That is why I go Allen, Mangum as 1 and 2.

There are no wrong answers to this hypothetical.

This is not like when you were advocating in trying to throw Bednars arm off of his body or Bring Sims into a cruise control game. It all worked out according to your master Lemos plan. He and Foxhall did a phenomenal job this year and post season of managing the chess pieces he had.

Rex54
07-02-2021, 09:15 PM
You put Polk on their just like you put Washington on Rushmore. He was the founding father. He would go first. And Rex if you don’t think that Allen and Mangum are 1 and 2 you are crazy. Legacy wise it would be Raffy or Clark on throwback but I really believe that Allen and Mangum legacy wise are superior to Raffy and Clark. And that is not knocking Thunder and Lightning but they already have a statue. Polk is on the stadium along with Dudy. That is why I go Allen, Mangum as 1 and 2.

There are no wrong answers to this hypothetical.

This is not like when you were advocating in trying to throw Bednars arm off of his body or Bring Sims into a cruise control game. It all worked out according to your master Lemos plan. He and Foxhall did a phenomenal job this year and post season of managing the chess pieces he had.

Allen and Mangum are 2-3 behind Bednar. I have Polk 4.

Since you brought it up my "wanting to throw his arm off" was pitching on 4 days rest. He ended up going on 3 and was fine, loser.

SilentSteel16
07-02-2021, 09:24 PM
How about this, I was saying it jokingly but since you like to throw names out there here we go. As a professional trainer you DO NOT put strain or stress on an arm that will have to have it done again inside of a week. Meaning, you wanted to throw Bednar on 4 days rest in order to get to the NC series, the problem with that IS. Say he throws when you wanted him to, his arm which has been trained with set days of rest, would have torn more pieces of muscle than normal due to insufficient rest. It is recommended by every physician including Andrews that if you have “abnormal stressors” to limit it to 1 time every 21 weeks. By throwing Bednar early you were guaranteeing to throw him again on abnormal rest. His injury likelihood is something around 35 percent higher than normal the second time around. That is way too high for a kid that is being drafted a month later. Lemonis would have been professionally irresponsible to do this. HENCE WHY HE DID NOT.

I can appreciate your fandom and I truly was making a joke with you, but you are so far beyond your depth here that you need to back off. You don’t jeopardize a kids future for a title.

Commercecomet24
07-02-2021, 09:31 PM
How about this, I was saying it jokingly but since you like to throw names out there here we go. As a professional trainer you DO NOT put strain or stress on an arm that will have to have it done again inside of a week. Meaning, you wanted to throw Bednar on 4 days rest in order to get to the NC series, the problem with that IS. Say he throws when you wanted him to, his arm which has been trained with set days of rest, would have torn more pieces of muscle than normal due to insufficient rest. It is recommended by every physician including Andrews that if you have “abnormal stressors” to limit it to 1 time every 21 weeks. By throwing Bednar early you were guaranteeing to throw him again on abnormal rest. His injury likelihood is something around 35 percent higher than normal the second time around. That is way too high for a kid that is being drafted a month later. Lemonis would have been professionally irresponsible to do this. HENCE WHY HE DID NOT.

I can appreciate your fandom and I truly was making a joke with you, but you are so far beyond your depth here that you need to back off. You don’t jeopardize a kids future for a title.

This is the reason coaches only do it when it is absolutely necessary(unless you're an idiot or bianco/Corbin). Notice rockers struggles the last week.

Todd4State
07-02-2021, 09:32 PM
AJ Brown has to be on there somewhere.**

Too soon?

oildawg
07-03-2021, 03:43 PM
Mountain 1:
Tanner Allen, Will Bednar, Rafael Palmeiro, Will Clark

Mountain 2:
Ron Polk, Jake Mangum, Chris Lemonis, John Cohen

Medic601
07-04-2021, 12:00 PM
With all of this being said? does anyone know why Will Clark is so distant from the program? I mean, you see him here and there at some big events like the opening of the new Dude and one or two fan pics from the opening ceremony at the CWS but no pics of him from the final game, no ESPN shots of him like Palmeiro jumping up and down during the game, no pics of him with the team, no athletic facilities with his name, no big tweets about state congratulating them, etc. I realize he isn?t the most pleasant of people but has the program done something to piss him off?