PDA

View Full Version : NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP MSU Thoughts

Todd4State
06-30-2021, 11:34 PM
WOW! We FINALLY did it! We added the final piece to the crown of our baseball accomplishments. We have SEC Titles, SEC Tournament Titles, Regional titles, Super Regional Titles, and now my friends...WE ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

So to the players and coaches I say THANK YOU! You will ALWAYS be champions no matter what and it's never going to be taken away from you. It wasn't always easy but in baseball it never is. You always have Mizzou weekends and losses to Kent State's from time to time but that's the nature of the game and it's not about one weekend but putting it all together at the right time.

I know this goes unsaid here because we understand what we have- but we should really appreciate the program that we have and just how special and unique it really is. If you think about it two of the "Big Three" fan bases in the SEC are in what amounts to AA size baseball towns. Baton Rouge and Fayetteville where there is a AA team in Springdale less than 30 miles away. And then yes, Ole Miss but part of the reason why they draw well is in response to what we do and have at MSU. What makes MSU different is the people involved with it. I remember going to MSU games in college and I would end up sitting next to some older gentleman who was a farmer from somewhere like Kilmichael or Houston who attended every game since Ron Polk became coach. Or you would see a person who is a local person who helped take care of the players in Starkville as a mentor. All these people- and then you have some like me who live out of town and can go a few times a year. It's ALL a big family. It really is. We're all in it together. Some of us have rigs in the LFL and are a part of that culture. Some of us are just fans like myself. But it doesn't matter- we're all in it together as a program. All of us together yell just as loud and go just as crazy when something big happens. We all help rattle those pitchers from Notre Dame to help us get to Omaha.

But the players and the coaches of course they are the ones that take center stage. And there have been so many special players through the year. Willie Mitchell was the first Mississippian to make it to MLB from Mississippi A&M. Buddy Myer played in the 1920's and should probably be in the baseball HOF. Dudy Noble made us a regional power and then RP Patty won our first SEC Title with the Bragan's and Alex Grammas. And then Paul Gregory continued to win SEC Titles regularly in the 50's and 60's with players like Del Unser, Bobby Myrick, Phil Still, Brantley Jones, Frank Montgomery, and Sammy Ellis. And then Ron Polk took us from a regional power to the beginning of a national power as well as becoming the most influential person in Mississippi baseball history and the SEC. He started to take us to Omaha. He brought in Jack Lazorko and Buck Showalter and then it happened.....1985 put us on the map nationally with Thunder and Lightning, Brantley and Thigpen. Then the 1989 and 1990 teams showed we could sustain it with guys like Bobby Reed, Jon Harden, Pete Young, Barry Winford, Tommy Raffo, Jon Shave, Jody Hurst, BJ Wallace, John Cohen, Jay Powell, and Brad Hildreth. Obviously Polk had to leave at some point and he left out on a high note with the 97 team with Eric Dubose, Adam Piatt, Jeremy Jackson, Richard Lee, Jon Knott, and Brooks Bryan. Pat McMahon kind of held the status quo and then Polk came back and that was tough for us even we still got some good baseball players and moments like the 2005 SEC Tournament and the 2007 CWS World Series and guys like Paul Maholm , Mitch Moreland, Ed Easley, Jonathan Papelbon, and Craig Tatum. Going to Cohen was a tough time for our family but it was the right decision even though it was painful for many to not see Polk win a CWS or him get what he wanted. And after three tough years we began to return to what MSU baseball is. We saw more great players come through like Adam Frazier, Hunter Renfroe, Chris Stratton, Jarrod Parks, Jonathan Holder, Jacob Lindgren, and then we saw Jake Mangum, Brent Rooker, Dakota Hudson, Nate Lowe, Jack Kruger take us to a SEC title in 2016 after an dead last finish in 2015. Andy Cannizaro turned out to be an embarrassing moment for the program but he took us to a SR, and then Gary Henderson did a great job getting us to Omaha with Mangum, Elijah MacNamee, Ethan Small and then finally Chris Lemonis took us the final step with players like Landon Sims, Logan Tanner, Tanner Allen, and Rowdey Jordan, and Will Bednar. And hopefully we will have many more titles and special players come through.

It's just so amazing. I reflected tonight on some of those tough days back in the late 2000's during Cohen's first two years and as a fan I just remember having this vision of what MSU baseball could be. And for me tonight to see it all kind of come full circle is incredible. Even though I had 0.0000001% participation in the big picture of it. We have the best fans in the country. We have the best stadium. We have the best coaches. We put players in the Big Leagues- see Brandon Woodruff and probably JT Ginn soon. And now we have the best team in the country. It's just so special. I'll admit there were times where I doubted that we would ever win one. Especially when you have a team like Vanderbilt using every loophole that we can't use- same with LSU in the 1990's really too. But tonight none of that mattered. They have two first round pick pitchers who are actually probably top 10 picks. They had twice as many guys on full scholarship who had been part of #1 recruiting classes. They have a coach who is a sleazeball who basically orchestrated to take out a team based on COVID protocols AND the NCAA allowed it. But again- NONE of that mattered. And isn't that so Mississippi State? We play by the rules and we just outwork and out hustle you and there was NOTHING their elite stuck up ass or their slimeball attention whore nasty looking "whistler" could do about it. We won this our way and doing things the Mississippi State way. We played hard and we played good fundamental baseball and like Ron Polk knows it ALWAYS hard to beat that any day of the week. And we did it with our family behind our players and that overcame their advantages just like we did to them in the SEC Tournament in 2012 and just like we did to them in the SR at their house in 2018.

This is the pinnacle of MSU baseball for me. I hope we become a dynasty who knows? But if we don't we at least have tonight. We can say we have done it. And I am so thankful I was alive to see it and experience and share it with my Dad over the phone after the series was over. Very lucky I've seen the Cardinals win the World Series twice too and now this for me kind of completes the circle.

Can't wait to buy my t-shirt and Hail State! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 2021! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeardoMSU
06-30-2021, 11:39 PM
Awesome, Todd.

I'm glad your post going into OMAHA got proven wrong, lol.

Todd4State
06-30-2021, 11:40 PM
Awesome, Todd.

I'm glad your post going into OMAHA got proven wrong, lol.

I can't remember what I even said but I definitely didn't think we would win so yes, I'm glad too!

BeardoMSU
06-30-2021, 11:42 PM
I can't remember what I even said but I definitely didn't think we would win so yes, I'm glad too!
You said the future was bright, but we wouldn't win it this year. Again, it's all good. Honestly, I didn't expect it either. Grit is hard to quantify.

But you're still correct; the future is most definitely bright.

Commercecomet24
06-30-2021, 11:46 PM
Great post Todd!

shoeless joe
06-30-2021, 11:47 PM
Great reflection.

To me this modern era of msu baseball began with that 2011 team. That team epitomized so much about what being a state ball player was about. That team didn’t have the talent of the teams that followed but they were tough and gritty and I’ll always think that was THE turning point.

Then I think about this run in particular and of course macnamee in Tallahassee. Who know how things like that play in the long term but the never say die attitude of Allen and Jordan was more than likely born in that game. And then again in game 3 of the supers at vandy. To lose the lead only to come back again and win. In my eyes 2018 til now has set the stage for what we saw tonight.

I would never in a million years thought we woulda won it in the fashion that we did tonight. But we did it and from now until eternity we have the 2021 title trophy.

William Tecumsah Sherman
06-30-2021, 11:48 PM
Mangum, MacNamee, and kept the baseball program alive during turmoil. It could have tanked. We are here now because of their grit.

BeardoMSU
06-30-2021, 11:55 PM
I would never in a million years thought we woulda won it in the fashion that we did tonight.

Absolutely. We did it by grinding out runs against Kumar ****ing Rocker. Plus, considering that Will had a very shaking first inning, but bounced back to not only shut them out, but no-no them through 6 is just insane. Literal fairytale stuff. And our bats came alive. Just a total team effort, both in terms of skill, but probably more so from a mental stand point.

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2021, 12:02 AM
WOW! We FINALLY did it! We added the final piece to the crown of our baseball accomplishments. We have SEC Titles, SEC Tournament Titles, Regional titles, Super Regional Titles, and now my friends...WE ARE NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!

So to the players and coaches I say THANK YOU! You will ALWAYS be champions no matter what and it's never going to be taken away from you. It wasn't always easy but in baseball it never is. You always have Mizzou weekends and losses to Kent State's from time to time but that's the nature of the game and it's not about one weekend but putting it all together at the right time.

I know this goes unsaid here because we understand what we have- but we should really appreciate the program that we have and just how special and unique it really is. If you think about it two of the "Big Three" fan bases in the SEC are in what amounts to AA size baseball towns. Baton Rouge and Fayetteville where there is a AA team in Springdale less than 30 miles away. And then yes, Ole Miss but part of the reason why they draw well is in response to what we do and have at MSU. What makes MSU different is the people involved with it. I remember going to MSU games in college and I would end up sitting next to some older gentleman who was a farmer from somewhere like Kilmichael or Houston who attended every game since Ron Polk became coach. Or you would see a person who is a local person who helped take care of the players in Starkville as a mentor. All these people- and then you have some like me who live out of town and can go a few times a year. It's ALL a big family. It really is. We're all in it together. Some of us have rigs in the LFL and are a part of that culture. Some of us are just fans like myself. But it doesn't matter- we're all in it together as a program. All of us together yell just as loud and go just as crazy when something big happens. We all help rattle those pitchers from Notre Dame to help us get to Omaha.

But the players and the coaches of course they are the ones that take center stage. And there have been so many special players through the year. Willie Mitchell was the first Mississippian to make it to MLB from Mississippi A&M. Buddy Myer played in the 1920's and should probably be in the baseball HOF. Dudy Noble made us a regional power and then RP Patty won our first SEC Title with the Bragan's and Alex Grammas. And then Paul Gregory continued to win SEC Titles regularly in the 50's and 60's with players like Del Unser, Bobby Myrick, Phil Still, Brantley Jones, Frank Montgomery, and Sammy Ellis. And then Ron Polk took us from a regional power to the beginning of a national power as well as becoming the most influential person in Mississippi baseball history and the SEC. He started to take us to Omaha. He brought in Jack Lazorko and Buck Showalter and then it happened.....1985 put us on the map nationally with Thunder and Lightning, Brantley and Thigpen. Then the 1989 and 1990 teams showed we could sustain it with guys like Bobby Reed, Jon Harden, Pete Young, Barry Winford, Tommy Raffo, Jon Shave, Jody Hurst, BJ Wallace, John Cohen, Jay Powell, and Brad Hildreth. Obviously Polk had to leave at some point and he left out on a high note with the 97 team with Eric Dubose, Adam Piatt, Jeremy Jackson, Richard Lee, Jon Knott, and Brooks Bryan. Pat McMahon kind of held the status quo and then Polk came back and that was tough for us even we still got some good baseball players and moments like the 2005 SEC Tournament and the 2007 CWS World Series and guys like Paul Maholm , Mitch Moreland, Ed Easley, Jonathan Papelbon, and Craig Tatum. Going to Cohen was a tough time for our family but it was the right decision even though it was painful for many to not see Polk win a CWS or him get what he wanted. And after three tough years we began to return to what MSU baseball is. We saw more great players come through like Adam Frazier, Hunter Renfroe, Chris Stratton, Jarrod Parks, Jonathan Holder, Jacob Lindgren, and then we saw Jake Mangum, Brent Rooker, Dakota Hudson, Nate Lowe, Jack Kruger take us to a SEC title in 2016 after an dead last finish in 2015. Andy Cannizaro turned out to be an embarrassing moment for the program but he took us to a SR, and then Gary Henderson did a great job getting us to Omaha with Mangum, Elijah MacNamee, Ethan Small and then finally Chris Lemonis took us the final step with players like Landon Sims, Logan Tanner, Tanner Allen, and Rowdey Jordan, and Will Bednar. And hopefully we will have many more titles and special players come through.

It's just so amazing. I reflected tonight on some of those tough days back in the late 2000's during Cohen's first two years and as a fan I just remember having this vision of what MSU baseball could be. And for me tonight to see it all kind of come full circle is incredible. Even though I had 0.0000001% participation in the big picture of it. We have the best fans in the country. We have the best stadium. We have the best coaches. We put players in the Big Leagues- see Brandon Woodruff and probably JT Ginn soon. And now we have the best team in the country. It's just so special. I'll admit there were times where I doubted that we would ever win one. Especially when you have a team like Vanderbilt using every loophole that we can't use- same with LSU in the 1990's really too. But tonight none of that mattered. They have two first round pick pitchers who are actually probably top 10 picks. They had twice as many guys on full scholarship who had been part of #1 recruiting classes. They have a coach who is a sleazeball who basically orchestrated to take out a team based on COVID protocols AND the NCAA allowed it. But again- NONE of that mattered. And isn't that so Mississippi State? We play by the rules and we just outwork and out hustle you and there was NOTHING their elite stuck up ass or their slimeball attention whore nasty looking "whistler" could do about it. We won this our way and doing things the Mississippi State way. We played hard and we played good fundamental baseball and like Ron Polk knows it ALWAYS hard to beat that any day of the week. And we did it with our family behind our players and that overcame their advantages just like we did to them in the SEC Tournament in 2012 and just like we did to them in the SR at their house in 2018.

This is the pinnacle of MSU baseball for me. I hope we become a dynasty who knows? But if we don't we at least have tonight. We can say we have done it. And I am so thankful I was alive to see it and experience and share it with my Dad over the phone after the series was over. Very lucky I've seen the Cardinals win the World Series twice too and now this for me kind of completes the circle.

Can't wait to buy my t-shirt and Hail State! NATIONAL CHAMPIONS 2021! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If we never win another one... MSU Baseball never again has to tell people what a great program it is. MSU Baseball will never ever have a BUT... after listing it's accomplishments.

FLAGS FLY FOREVER

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-01-2021, 12:14 AM
The toughness of the team showed through. Mental and physical. Really exemplifies Mississippi State culture.

parabrave
07-01-2021, 12:17 AM
Remember Baseball is a marathon. Its how you finish.

Activated Alpha
07-01-2021, 12:32 AM
And some people called our players mental midgets. Well those midgets just won the whole damn thing. I know we get frustrated during the games, but this team is by far one of my favorite to watch. They never did quit. Just like my sons when they would do something scary and give me a heart attack they would just smile and keep on going. This team definitely gave me a few heart attacks this year. But it was worth it

William Tecumsah Sherman
07-01-2021, 12:35 AM
I was thinking of the moments just in the CWS that took grit, sack, toughness. Sims leaving man on 3rd game one. Clark and TA bombs against UVA. Skinner stealing a base. Leggett coming through. Hooty and Preston. Bednar on 3 days rest. Just unbelievable

Rex54
07-01-2021, 05:54 AM
I'd like to see a dozen or so mini-statues around Dudy Noble, sort of a "walking tour" to some of the contributions. It's truly a team effort in baseball.

Leggett getting that final hit vs Texas as a mini-statue and plaque talking about the moment for example.
Clark mini-statue of a HR follow-through and plaque talking about his Virginia and Vandy timely bombs.
Hootie and Preston together as a mini-statue.
Skinner mini-statue sliding into 2nd base.
Logan Tanner home run swing.
Rowdey hitting.
Lane Train fielding a ground ball
Hancock hitting
DuBrule hitting.
Kam James going over a wall.

Of course Will Bednar, Tanner Allen, Landon Sims and Lemonis automatically get big statues.

Dawgface
07-01-2021, 07:06 AM
As an aging dawg two things I wanted to see and do before going belly up. And I checked both off yesterday. I bought my first ever Cadillac(xt5) and I got to see MSU win a NC. I hope the belly up part is further down the road tho. ;)

Catfish
07-01-2021, 07:28 AM
There was no sitting on the edge of your seat, no nail biting or hiding your eyes. We came out out and took it and never looked back.
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!!

Offshore Dawg
07-01-2021, 07:53 AM
" NATIONAL CHAMPIONS " This will look good all the way across that big green wall in center field.

basedog
07-01-2021, 08:16 AM
Hang That Banner!!!!!!

Dolphus Raymond
07-01-2021, 09:53 AM
Being Mike Bianco must really suck today.

R2Dawg
07-01-2021, 10:12 AM
The toughness of the team showed through. Mental and physical. Really exemplifies Mississippi State culture.

True, so MSU. This team had the IT factor. We saw flashes of it during the regular season but I'll tell you after getting to Omaha, I just had this feeling we were a team of destiny. Too many different guys stepping up. Everytime back against the wall, we respond. Fitting ending to the NC curse.

Maroonthirteen
07-01-2021, 12:41 PM
Something I have realized since 18-19.... Mississippi State has an established, damn good baseball program. The SEC has many good, very good teams from year to year. However State and only a few others have strong established baseball programs.

This program was built in the 70s by Polk, many many damn good players, more coaches and even more players that have developed into a network of MLBers. All that recruits itself, gives current players confidence and support. State just finally had all the ingredients at one time, with a lot of clutch plays and performances to get over the hump. It is all because of that program and rich tradition that these current players were able to say why not us. They believed in themselves and .... Lemonis with that magnificent slow play this season.... genius move to keep this team fresh and warming up for post season.

Mississippi State has an outstanding baseball program, rich in tradition that deserved this NC. Congratulations Mississippi State University!

Todd4State
07-01-2021, 04:36 PM
Being Mike Bianco must really suck today.

The worst part for Ole Miss is they can't compare MSU baseball to Ole Miss football anymore. Especially since we have a real undisputed National Championship.

maroonmania
07-02-2021, 02:20 PM
One name to remember.... Doc Fogelsong!! Amazing how so many things build on the other to lead us to this day. Fogelsong had the intestinal fortitude to make the change at AD to hire Greg Byrne and send LT out to pasture. LUCKILY, he was able to do this BEFORE Polk had officially left the job and been able to put Raffo into the job with an LT rubber stamp. Greg Byrne then in turn has the intestinal fortitude to stand up to Polk and his legion to hire Cohen, who was immensely more qualified for the job and was not under the thumb of Ron Polk, even though it meant dealing with Polk having a public temper tantrum. From that point, John Cohen began bringing the program into the 21st century and improving it one step at a time with the PRIMARY goal of making us not just a great program with a great tradition and a great fanbase, but take the next step to being an elite, CHAMPIONSHIP program. Cohen instilled a lot of what was needed himself and came close to getting us there in 2013 and in 2016 (just ran into an Arizona buzzsaw in the SR). But Cohen all the while was busy working with Stricklin on getting us a facility like no other in college baseball and then finally decided that being the MSU AD was where he wanted to take his next step when Stricklin slithered out the door (like a traitorous snake) for Florida. At this point, Cohen actually made a good ON field hire of Cannizaro but the OFF field character issues ruined that whole adventure. The cherry on top for the program though came with the hiring of Lemonis. Actually a hire that a lot of MSU fans were unimpressed with, given his lack of high level accomplishments as a HC at the time, but one that has turned out to be a perfect mixture of his even temperament, great leadership and recruiting abilities, and his willingness to embrace expectations of a NC for MSU baseball and take on that expectation head on. Pretty easy looking back over this season that every decision made all along the way was based on us being able to play our best during NCAA tournament time. Yes, its been a long trek to get to where this team took us in Omaha this year but its easy to look back and see some folks that made some decisions, some that were not popular at all at the time, to get us to where we are today. But it all started with Doc.

BiscuitEater
07-02-2021, 03:32 PM
Mangum, MacNamee, and kept the baseball program alive during turmoil. It could have tanked. We are here now because of their grit.

There are too many that were 'pioneers' to name them all! Coaches, players, students, ll lounge, alumni, and 'fans' that just paid to watch! ALL played an integral part. Yes, some more than others but all contributed what they could.

Make NO mistake, this NC will pay HUGE dividends for students, Starkville, alumni and fans everywhere! Everyone that ever envisioned this day will be united by common pride and admiration for THIS team that 'brought it home!'

basedog
07-02-2021, 04:08 PM
Something I have realized since 18-19.... Mississippi State has an established, damn good baseball program. The SEC has many good, very good teams from year to year. However State and only a few others have strong established baseball programs.

This program was built in the 70s by Polk, many many damn good players, more coaches and even more players that have developed into a network of MLBers. All that recruits itself, gives current players confidence and support. State just finally had all the ingredients at one time, with a lot of clutch plays and performances to get over the hump. It is all because of that program and rich tradition that these current players were able to say why not us. They believed in themselves and .... Lemonis with that magnificent slow play this season.... genius move to keep this team fresh and warming up for post season.

Mississippi State has an outstanding baseball program, rich in tradition that deserved this NC. Congratulations Mississippi State University!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"This program was built in the 70s by Polk"

Wrong, Paul Gregory built Msu baseball in the 70's, Polk just took it to another level! 1971 was our first trip to CWS, Gregory had some awesome teams while I was in school! Go look at his 70's teams and players.