PDA

View Full Version : Question for the board.

Jack Lambert
06-30-2021, 01:00 PM
Just a thought. Take a school like USM who will never compete for NC in football, also in a G-5 with little respect in football go all in on baseball, put 10 baseball players on football scholarship and let them do the bear minimum to be consider football players, that would free up the 11.7 scholarship for more players and just kick ass. Could that be done and could it work?

ScoobaDawg
06-30-2021, 01:02 PM
You can't let g-5 teams do that and not power-5 teams. Thats what Bama did with football for a long time years ago I have always heard so. hell no.
Now.. take 10 off the football team amount of 85 schollys and give those to baseball instead. hell yes.

preachermatt83
06-30-2021, 01:11 PM
65 schollies is PLENTY for football

Jack Lambert
06-30-2021, 01:13 PM
You can't let g-5 teams do that and not power-5 teams. Thats what Bama did with football for a long time years ago I have always heard so. hell no.
Now.. take 10 off the football team amount of 85 schollys and give those to baseball instead. hell yes.

I thought that was what I asked. take 10 from football and give to baseball.

Gutter Cobreh
06-30-2021, 01:48 PM
I thought that was what I asked. take 10 from football and give to baseball.

Great question Jack! As long as the kid actually plays both sports and you could justify the offer - why not? It's a huge commitment from the kid with time and effort though. My guess at this point though is with compensation on the horizon (or here) for the college athlete, it may not be needed. They may make enough to cover it all outside of a scholarship, but I don't know enough about the details to know if there is a cap a kid can make within a given year.

Lord McBuckethead
06-30-2021, 03:04 PM
Great question Jack! As long as the kid actually plays both sports and you could justify the offer - why not? It's a huge commitment from the kid with time and effort though. My guess at this point though is with compensation on the horizon (or here) for the college athlete, it may not be needed. They may make enough to cover it all outside of a scholarship, but I don't know enough about the details to know if there is a cap a kid can make within a given year.

All they have to do is show up for football games and wear the uniform. Hell you can put them on the injured list and they can wear street clothes and be on the hype squad. Seems too simple to me.
They are not going to ever win anything in football, anything meaningful anyway.

Fury
06-30-2021, 03:06 PM
Amen

The Federalist Engineer
06-30-2021, 03:14 PM
Just a thought. Take a school like USM who will never compete for NC in football, also in a G-5 with little respect in football go all in on baseball, put 10 baseball players on football scholarship and let them do the bear minimum to be consider football players, that would free up the 11.7 scholarship for more players and just kick ass. Could that be done and could it work?

A truly Machiavellian school would just have 12 big lads from George County self declare as Women and play them on the baseball team. "Play" soccer in the fall and baseball in the spring.

But to your point, all the CUSA schools could make a group pact to reduce football by 10 and become great in Baseball. They are not beating the SEC in football with even with 180 scholarships, but they could become relevant in Baseball very quickly. It would allow them to get MLB development players and be patient like Michigan does.

Just have the players workout like football players. Get huge and strong for baseball.