PDA

View Full Version : Did we expect MacLeod to beat Leiter?

Msujd164
06-29-2021, 10:02 AM
I was pissed last night, but in all honesty, I thought we?d probably drop Game 1. Leiter is a top 5, if not THE top player in the draft.

Game 2 I think pitching favors us. Backs against the wall. I think we take tonight 6-4.

Game 3 all bets are off if it?s Bednar vs Rocker.

Lord McBuckethead
06-29-2021, 10:07 AM
Kopps is the top player in the draft.
Mac could have beat Leiter if he would just throw strikes. Now we will never know.

The players need to settle down and make every at bat count. Right now we haven't had a dominate hitting night in a long time. We are due. I have no idea what GoTreau is instructing the guys, but at some point it needs to be shorten your swing and see the ball hit the ball.

We can beat this team. Straight up. We just have to hit the ball and get out of innings on the mound. Simple, yet difficult.

MetEdDawg
06-29-2021, 10:18 AM
I thought we would lose last night. I said 7-2. What I didn't expect is for MacLeod to be on the hook for those runs in less than 1 inning pitched and for guys like KC Hunt and Fristoe to come in and look better than him.

If MacLeod has given up 3 runs over 4 innings, that's one hell of a different ball game. But when you give up 7 in the first, it's really hard no matter the circumstances to overcome that.

So did I expect MacLeod to win? No. But I expected in the biggest moment of his career to give us more than 2/3 of an inning.

Really Clark?
06-29-2021, 10:20 AM
Are you saying you believe Kopps is the top player in the draft? Because I don't think he is in the Top 100 going by all the draft analysis and mock's.

msstate7
06-29-2021, 10:23 AM
That hr Patrick gave up ended up being a good thing. Without that, we likely burn some of our better arms trying to stay in the game. With the big lead, it allowed us to go short stints

KOdawg1
06-29-2021, 10:28 AM
That hr Patrick gave up ended up being a good thing. Without that, we likely burn some of our better arms trying to stay in the game. With the big lead, it allowed us to go short stints
I agree. Losing the way we did was a good thing. It sucks to be out of the game before it starts, but we're in better shape today because of it.

Cowbell
06-29-2021, 10:29 AM

Good point man. We managed our pitching very well after that as well. I have some confidence going into tonight

StarkVegasSteve
06-29-2021, 10:39 AM
I thought we would lose last night. I said 7-2. What I didn't expect is for MacLeod to be on the hook for those runs in less than 1 inning pitched and for guys like KC Hunt and Fristoe to come in and look better than him.

If MacLeod has given up 3 runs over 4 innings, that's one hell of a different ball game. But when you give up 7 in the first, it's really hard no matter the circumstances to overcome that.

So did I expect MacLeod to win? No. But I expected in the biggest moment of his career to give us more than 2/3 of an inning.

This is one of the positives I took from last night. I thought Fristoe came in there and just threw strikes. He wasn't trying to paint the corners or dance around hitters. He came in, pitched to contact, and let his fielders do what they're supposed to do.

Commercecomet24
06-29-2021, 01:07 PM
Are you saying you believe Kopps is the top player in the draft? Because I don't think he is in the Top 100 going by all the draft analysis and mock's.

Agreed. Yeah no way Kopps is too 100. Talk to some scouts they'll tell you

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2021, 01:18 PM
Agreed. Yeah no way Kopps is too 100. Talk to some scouts they'll tell you

I haven't paid too much attention but doesn't Kopps have basically one dominant pitch? He is basically a senior version of Riley Self if he didn't hurt his arm after his freshman year. People forget how badass Self was as a freshman with that cutter.

Jack Lambert
06-29-2021, 01:20 PM
I thought if he was on and they kept it close State would win once their starter went out of the game.

Commercecomet24
06-29-2021, 01:22 PM
I haven't paid too much attention but doesn't Kopps have basically one dominant pitch? He is basically a senior version of Riley Self if he didn't hurt his arm after his freshman year. People forget how badass Self was as a freshman with that cutter.

Pretty much. Scouts aren't real sure how much his 86-88 cutter/breaking ball will play in pro ball. A player can be a great college player and have no shot in professional ball. Millions of examples.

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2021, 01:50 PM
Pretty much. Scouts aren't real sure how much his 86-88 cutter/breaking ball will play in pro ball. A player can be a great college player and have no shot in professional ball. Millions of examples.

Ross Mitchell was one of the most dominant pitchers that I have ever seen before they adjusted the baseball.

the_real_MSU_is_us
06-29-2021, 01:56 PM
Expect? No I didn't expect to win game 1, but I sire hoped we would. Mac gave us zero chance.

But it's not a Mac vs Leiter thing, anymore than QBs go against each other in football. It's Mac vs Vandys 9 and Leiter vs our 9