PDA

View Full Version : Youre the coach. It is gamee 1 of the finals. What do you do different?

ImissCityBagel
06-28-2021, 11:53 PM
Obviously, you take out Macleod before the bleeding is bad. Being down 7-1 is hard on morale for any time?even the elite. I think you have short-stop play the gaps or pseudo-outfield more often. With Vandy's first at-bat, a lot of people were upset at how MacLeod was very vigilant to stop the base stealing, but I think that was the right attitude. It just seemed like they always had people on second, which is doom. This team is different than Texas or ND (who are IMO the best teams we've faced in the postseason). Their pitching is elite, but their batting strategical, but not elite.

What do you tell our batters to do? The ump was inconsistent especially on the outside stuff. For a right-hander against a righty at any level, the outside stuff is really hard to lay off of...especially when you are desperate. Do you tell the to sell out on the take until the ump calls balls? That is what killed us IMO. The outside stuff with an ambiguous box. Props to Leiter for making it just outside enough or have just enough drop.

So, I think if our bats weren't as dead we can win that barring the MacLeod moments. MacLeod is a good pitcher, but he is gimmicky. He needs some real heat to make people respect him otherwise they are going to expect the changeup or hanging breaking ball. IMO our batting just needs to try to do less and make the ground ball play. Half of our hits were easy pop flies.

With all of this said, I don't know anything, what do you think?

Todd4State
06-29-2021, 12:05 AM
I would have taken MacLeoud out sooner and gone with Cade Smith, Brandon Smith, or Preston Johnson. Hindsight is 20/20. Although I will say I was worried about MacLeoud walking the house simply because that's what he has done all year. He doesn't attack the zone. He nibbles.

RougeDawg
06-29-2021, 12:15 AM
I would've noticed Mac was mentally done after the first batter and given him one more to see if he could regroup mentally. A coach has to know their players better.

Don't worry about the hitters. They battle and will find a way to win, if you keep them within firing range.

Lord McBuckethead
06-29-2021, 09:34 AM
You could have pitched literally anyone else, and we are in the game. Literally anyone else as proven by innings 2-8.