PDA

View Full Version : All Mac had to do

Msujd164
06-28-2021, 09:14 PM
Was throw fn strikes. Fastballs down the middle. They can?t hit. But no. Let?s get cute and hit players trying to throw gd curveballs.

HaggardDawg
06-28-2021, 09:23 PM
And pitching around Bradfield likes he?s damn Barry bonds. Don?t let that guy get on. Dare his little ass to try and hit the ball out. But no

MetEdDawg
06-28-2021, 09:43 PM
This is why I'm not mad at Lemonis or Foxhall for starting him. This is a mental thing for MacLeod, not a talent thing.

It's not like MacLeod is garbage. But he's pitched like garbage recently and it's his fault. He's walked guys, he's not pitched to contact, he's missed spots.

We had 1 choice to pitch tonight. MacLeod. That was the only choice. And he sucked. Is what it is.

ImissCityBagel
06-28-2021, 09:45 PM
Without an elite fastball, MacLeod will be a gimmick pitcher against the SEC.

KOdawg1
06-28-2021, 09:56 PM
I said it last week and I'll say it again. He needs to move on. I'm cool if he isn't on our team next year. If he some how gets drafted, then good for him. If not, then he'd make a great transfer on at a small school. He isn't SEC caliber. Not even close.

maroonmania
06-28-2021, 09:57 PM
And pitching around Bradfield likes he?s damn Barry bonds. Don?t let that guy get on. Dare his little ass to try and hit the ball out. But no

Mac isn't pitching around anyone. He just can't locate. That's his major problem.

maroonmania
06-28-2021, 09:59 PM
That ball was high. Not that it matters.

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2021, 10:01 PM
He has lost it and he cant find it.

We knew it and still played him. Saw him struggling and left him in to let one inning decide the game. We have left pitchers in too long all year long. Adjust.

FISHDAWG
06-28-2021, 10:06 PM
It's a crime we didn't have someone already warm at the start after his last outing... he had to be running a little low on confidence

MetEdDawg
06-28-2021, 10:11 PM
It's a crime we didn't have someone already warm at the start after his last outing... he had to be running a little low on confidence

Want to kill a kids confidence? Have someone warming in the bullpen when you get on the mound to throw the first pitch of the game.

MacLeod was the only choice folks. We just need to get past that. He has the talent and we gave him the opportunity. He failed. There were no other options. Sucks that it was on the biggest stage in college baseball.

The Federalist Engineer
06-28-2021, 10:12 PM
This is why I'm not mad at Lemonis or Foxhall for starting him. This is a mental thing for MacLeod, not a talent thing.

It's not like MacLeod is garbage. But he's pitched like garbage recently and it's his fault. He's walked guys, he's not pitched to contact, he's missed spots.

We had 1 choice to pitch tonight. MacLeod. That was the only choice. And he sucked. Is what it is.

This is exactly why you fault coaches for starting the player. Unless you are saying that we have so many mental cases, we have to take a chance on Mac.

Seems that MSU kept giving Mac a chance and he was a really a bust for the year. 6-6 record on a team this good, is 1-11 at Missouri. Cannizarro or Henderson would have dialed up Cade Smith or Tullar about a month ago. These coaches stick to an idea. That is their style. They made a NC series with Mac, that is something considerable.

Next year, if he comes back, he can’t be a weekend starter. That would be disgusting and depressing.

MetEdDawg
06-28-2021, 10:16 PM
This is exactly why you fault coaches for starting the player. Unless you are saying that we have so many mental cases, we have to take a chance on Mac.

Seems that MSU kept giving Mac a chance and he was a really a bust for the year. 6-6 record on a team this good, is 1-11 at Missouri. Cannizarro or Henderson would have dialed up Cade Smith or Tullar about a month ago. These coaches stick to an idea. That is their style. They made a NC series with Mac, that is something considerable.

Next year, if he comes back, he can’t be a weekend starter. That would be disgusting and depressing.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you've never coached baseball at a meaningful level. If you think Cade Smith or Tullar would be starting right now with other coaches, you've lost your damn mind.

This board has a really bad habit of finding ways to make themselves feel better by saying with certainty what they or others would do without ever having any actual knowledge or experience having done it before in baseball.

R2Dawg
06-28-2021, 10:23 PM

We had other options with the funk he has been in.

R2Dawg
06-28-2021, 10:26 PM
Want to kill a kids confidence? Have someone warming in the bullpen when you get on the mound to throw the first pitch of the game.

MacLeod was the only choice folks. We just need to get past that. He has the talent and we gave him the opportunity. He failed. There were no other options. Sucks that it was on the biggest stage in college baseball.

I felt like that with Mac too but short leash. His confidence was already gone. I'd left one in locker room stretching then.

MetEdDawg
06-28-2021, 10:27 PM

Every team always has other options. Vandy didn't have to pitch Leiter tonight. They had other options.

Lemonis and Foxhall went with a veteran who has the stuff to win a game like this. You ride your players. Sometimes they let you down, other times they come through. Tonight Mac let us down. It happens and it would be great to know ahead of time that a player wouldn't step up. Would make it a hell of a lot easier.

Todd4State
06-28-2021, 10:27 PM

This is hindsight sort of but I think if Cade Smith has been healthy early in the year it may have been him starting.

AlSwearengen
06-28-2021, 11:05 PM
Starting Macleod was really the only logical choice. Macleod was the only “starter” that we had available due to lack of rest for others and if the light just happened to come back on tonight, we stand a chance to beat Leiter. We could have started Brandon Smith but he has had issues since the sore arm. Cade Smith is a true freshman who has very limited experience. Fristoe was in the same boat as Macleod with the inconsistency.

We got royally 17’ed with vandy getting to save Leiter as well as relieving some of the stress on their bullpen. We are going to have to have some heroics from some people to get thru this thing, but we knew that. One positive though is vandy did almost nothing after the first inning. That type of thing can carry over.

Let’s hope for a sharp Harding tomorrow. If we get it and he keeps them stymied, we could go into a third game with a vandy team that is probably pressing because their hitting woes would have come back.

That’s a lot that we need to go right but we are playing baseball and crazy shit happens all the time.

Saltydog
06-28-2021, 11:14 PM
He?s a freaking head case. Guy has no guts. 1st round picks my ass. I wouldn?t draft his ass in the top 20 rounds. He?s just not that good and didn?t get any stronger at all during the last year.

ImissCityBagel
06-28-2021, 11:31 PM
Just not crazy about how MacLeod was handle especially once it was obvious to everyone in the world that it wasn't his night.

RougeDawg
06-29-2021, 12:17 AM

Can't kill something that's already dead and buried. That's water under the bridge. Any person with a jersey and a glove was a better option, if you've watched his last 4-6 outings. Come on man.

RougeDawg
06-29-2021, 12:19 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you've never coached baseball at a meaningful level. If you think Cade Smith or Tullar would be starting right now with other coaches, you've lost your damn mind.

This board has a really bad habit of finding ways to make themselves feel better by saying with certainty what they or others would do without ever having any actual knowledge or experience having done it before in baseball.

I've never coached but I've seen and been on a team where a coach rode a head case back to the dorm room after a regional championship. A good coach knows his players and when they do or do not have "it". That's the difference in good and great coaches.

The Federalist Engineer
06-29-2021, 06:47 AM

Its very clear that Mac has become a naturalized Canadian.

I have never called my self a coach but its obvious the kid cant start big games. “Next man up” is the only move you have.

maroonmania
06-29-2021, 11:01 AM
He?s a freaking head case. Guy has no guts. 1st round picks my ass. I wouldn?t draft his ass in the top 20 rounds. He?s just not that good and didn?t get any stronger at all during the last year.

I'm convinced its all arm weariness. Dude has never pitched a full college season and certainly not one that goes to the end of June. He just can't command his pitches anymore. All of this really started around SEC tourney time.

FISHDAWG
06-29-2021, 11:17 AM

Sorry but I just can't sign off on this ... seeing a relief pitcher warm up the same time as a starter should serve as motivation... and our Pen didn't do too bad... what happened possibly could have been avoided. Mac should have expected it and been mentally prepared for that possibility because this is just to big of a stage

MetEdDawg
06-29-2021, 12:56 PM
Sorry but I just can't sign off on this ... seeing a relief pitcher warm up the same time as a starter should serve as motivation... and our Pen didn't do too bad... what happened possibly could have been avoided. Mac should have expected it and been mentally prepared for that possibility because this is just to big of a stage

You may not be able to sign off on it but I bet if you asked 1,000 coaches how many times they had a guy warming in the pen at the start of a game in case the starter did bad, you would get 0 coaches that said they've done it. And they would laugh at you after you got done asking it.

And then thinking MacLeod should expect it? It's shocking how many people literally don't understand baseball. It would be interesting to watch some folks on this board actually coach kids between the age of 14-22 and do some of the things they want to do.

Commercecomet24
06-29-2021, 12:58 PM
You may not be able to sign off on it but I bet if you asked 1,000 coaches how times they had a guy warming in the pen at the start of a game in case the starter did bad, you would get 0 coaches that said they've done it. And they would laugh at you after you got done asking it.

And then thinking MacLeod should expect it? It's shocking how many people literally don't understand baseball. It would be interesting to watch some folks on this board actually coach kids between the age of 14-22 and do some of the things they want to do.

Yep.

FISHDAWG
06-29-2021, 01:02 PM
I've played baseball and football... I know what competition is. And I knew if I didn't get it done then someone behind me would... not using a belligerent tone here- just different perspectives

MaroonFlounder
06-29-2021, 02:04 PM
Any person with a jersey and a glove was a better option, if you've watched his last 4-6 outings. Come on man.

Now you're just plain wrong. Macleod went 7 innings at Bama, gave up 2 runs, and had 10 Ks/1 BB.

I'm as pissed as anybody, but the reason he started is that he has had RECENT GOOD OUTINGS.

He got in trouble against VCU, but worked his way out of it.

But continue to be wrong on the 17ing InterNet.