PDA

View Full Version : National Championship Series now vs 2013

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 01:49 PM
This time feels different to me and I think it's because we have been here before. Last time it seemed like everyone was patting the team on the back and talking about how big it was for MSU and the state of Mississippi and it seemed like the 2013 team may have gotten caught up in the moment and started to go away from what worked for us up until that point. I'm not intending that to be a criticism of the 2013 team. It was just a step for us as a program. Much like making Omaha in 1971 was a step at the time. And that team went 0-2 probably in part because it was a first for us. Then the 1979 team won a game in Omaha- I believe they actually dog piled after the win. But then lost out. It was a step. 2013 was also another step. Hopefully this team can take the last step. We'll see. I don't get warm fuzzies because of how our staff has been pitching outside of Sims and Bednar. It seems like everyone has command issues and we walk a ton. That worries me a LOT in this series and will probably be why we don't win. Our hitters tend to be overaggressive at times and expand the zone. And I'm fully expecting Leiter and Rocker to get an expanded zone which will only make that issue worse. To be objective and not an "objective" MSU fan- we will have a massive home field advantage which could be big and I do think that is a thing in college baseball- ask Notre Dame or Stanford. The other big advantage is our team will play their ass off for nine innings and will be tough to beat. As Babe Ruth I believe once said "it's hard to beat someone who doesn't quit."

I'm not around the team- 2013 or now- but I do wonder if Lemonis is better equipped to manage a team in a National Title setting than Cohen who at times I think out of his love for MSU tried too hard at times and that caused him to go overboard and led to team meltdowns sometimes.

Baseball is a funny game with how things work out sometimes. What happened to NC State was completely wrong and if the rumors that Vanderbilt asked for them to be tested again and the Dept. of Health did not recommend that NC State had to forfeit are true it's even worse. But to me it feels like the MSU/Vanderbilt match up has been maybe coming for some time. We have long advocated for more scholarships going back to when Polk I was our coach. Vanderbilt just seems to be like "we have these advantages and tough shit for everyone else". Then you had the Uneven documentary that Matt Wyatt put out where Corbin refused to comment and now this NC State issue which to me seems underhanded at worst- whether that was Vandy or the NCAA or both doing it. It really is almost good vs evil on a college baseball level. We'll see how it turns out- I know sometimes in life the good guys don't always win. But our guys will give it everything that they have and will make us proud. But whether we win or not this experience will help grow our program and help us knock down the door whether we win or not. But I hope we knock it down this time!

shoeless joe
06-27-2021, 02:28 PM
It’s a shame how vandy has been gifted so much….this championship series included. But for us to win one it’s gonna hafta be in the underdog role.

That being said other than the two elite arms vandy’s team isn’t what it has been the past couple years. We are going to have to have somebody step up…Macleod maybe…and do something above and beyond. I’m not confident that we win. But I think we have a shot. If any team can do it it’ll be this one.

BeardoMSU
06-27-2021, 02:39 PM
Good post, Todd.

Beating Vandy is going to be tough as hell. But when we do, considering everything that's happened this year with our team, and especially how Vandy benefited here in Omaha, it will just make it that much more sweeter. I can't imagine there are many college baseball fans out there, outside of the 10s for Vandy, and the salty bitches in Oxford, that won't be pulling for us this week. It's our time.

shoeless joe
06-27-2021, 02:54 PM
The bad thing is…if Vandy had actually played and won Saturday I’d really like our chances. But the absolutely unfair advantage they were given is most probably altering the title.

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 03:01 PM
The bad thing is…if Vandy had actually played and won Saturday I’d really like our chances. But the absolutely unfair advantage they were given is most probably altering the title.

I agree 100%.

BuckyIsAB****
06-27-2021, 11:16 PM
This time feels different to me and I think it's because we have been here before. Last time it seemed like everyone was patting the team on the back and talking about how big it was for MSU and the state of Mississippi and it seemed like the 2013 team may have gotten caught up in the moment and started to go away from what worked for us up until that point. I'm not intending that to be a criticism of the 2013 team. It was just a step for us as a program. Much like making Omaha in 1971 was a step at the time. And that team went 0-2 probably in part because it was a first for us. Then the 1979 team won a game in Omaha- I believe they actually dog piled after the win. But then lost out. It was a step. 2013 was also another step. Hopefully this team can take the last step. We'll see. I don't get warm fuzzies because of how our staff has been pitching outside of Sims and Bednar. It seems like everyone has command issues and we walk a ton. That worries me a LOT in this series and will probably be why we don't win. Our hitters tend to be overaggressive at times and expand the zone. And I'm fully expecting Leiter and Rocker to get an expanded zone which will only make that issue worse. To be objective and not an "objective" MSU fan- we will have a massive home field advantage which could be big and I do think that is a thing in college baseball- ask Notre Dame or Stanford. The other big advantage is our team will play their ass off for nine innings and will be tough to beat. As Babe Ruth I believe once said "it's hard to beat someone who doesn't quit."

I'm not around the team- 2013 or now- but I do wonder if Lemonis is better equipped to manage a team in a National Title setting than Cohen who at times I think out of his love for MSU tried too hard at times and that caused him to go overboard and led to team meltdowns sometimes.

Baseball is a funny game with how things work out sometimes. What happened to NC State was completely wrong and if the rumors that Vanderbilt asked for them to be tested again and the Dept. of Health did not recommend that NC State had to forfeit are true it's even worse. But to me it feels like the MSU/Vanderbilt match up has been maybe coming for some time. We have long advocated for more scholarships going back to when Polk I was our coach. Vanderbilt just seems to be like "we have these advantages and tough shit for everyone else". Then you had the Uneven documentary that Matt Wyatt put out where Corbin refused to comment and now this NC State issue which to me seems underhanded at worst- whether that was Vandy or the NCAA or both doing it. It really is almost good vs evil on a college baseball level. We'll see how it turns out- I know sometimes in life the good guys don't always win. But our guys will give it everything that they have and will make us proud. But whether we win or not this experience will help grow our program and help us knock down the door whether we win or not. But I hope we knock it down this time!

We are Rocky Balboa

BeardoMSU
06-27-2021, 11:31 PM
We are Rocky Balboa

Vandy ain't Creed, though. Tommy Gun, maybe, lol.

Hambone
06-27-2021, 11:41 PM
I think of Vandy more like Mr T (Clubber Lang) not Creed.

They are some loud mouth punks

SilentSteel16
06-27-2021, 11:51 PM
Can someone explain to me why the catcher for Vandy irritates me so? I can’t quite place my finger on it, maybe it is the way he just carries himself. I really don’t know but he irritates the hell out of me. Bradford too, or whoever the fast cf is. If he gets on first base he starts yelling an screaming like he hit the game winner. Maybe it is the Whistler, I don’t know. I guess it is safe to say I just don’t like Vandy. But I really don’t like the catcher for some reason. Their 9 hole hitter (3B) is really the only player on that team that I worry about.

Commercecomet24
06-28-2021, 12:00 AM
Can someone explain to me why the catcher for Vandy irritates me so? I can’t quite place my finger on it, maybe it is the way he just carries himself. I really don’t know but he irritates the hell out of me. Bradford too, or whoever the fast cf is. If he gets on first base he starts yelling an screaming like he hit the game winner. Maybe it is the Whistler, I don’t know. I guess it is safe to say I just don’t like Vandy. But I really don’t like the catcher for some reason. Their 9 hole hitter (3B) is really the only player on that team that I worry about.

I can't stand Vandy either. Never have and never will have anything for them and their elf looking coach.

Sienfield
06-28-2021, 06:44 AM
Being there before didn't help the WBB team.

Todd4State
06-28-2021, 08:40 AM
Being there before didn't help the WBB team.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we lose to Notre Dame in the final minute on a questionable call the second time?

And not saying that just being there means we will win. But I do think we will perform better.

maroonmania
06-28-2021, 09:37 AM

Yep, the one thing that sort of sickens me that DOES make this a bit like 2013 is that this year, like 2013, we are really down to one truly dependable starter (Bednar) like we were in 2013 (Graveman). And like 2013, that starter won't be available until at least Wednesday. In 2013, we didn't make it to Wednesday. I believe Graveman in 2013 pitched on Friday so he would have started on Wed. Bednar pitched on Saturday, so even if we make it to Wednesday, he may only be good for 2 or 3 innings at most. Just sucks that both times we've made it to the championship series we are never set up to give it our best shot pitching wise. I know in 2013 Cohen took a lot of heat for pitching Graveman on Friday when it was not an elimination game but I guess he felt like we really didn't have any other starters to turn to at the time.

maroonmania
06-28-2021, 09:41 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't we lose to Notre Dame in the final minute on a questionable call the second time?

And not saying that just being there means we will win. But I do think we will perform better.

Yes, but I think its generous to say the call was 'questionable'. Normally when a defender knocks a player with the ball to the floor its a certain foul without a lot of gray area.

Johnson85
06-28-2021, 10:48 AM

For sure. If we're on a level playing field, I think it's close to 50/50 but I'd give us a slight edge just based on the fact that Vandy seems to have gone cold enough at the plate that I think even with us having some pitching uncertainty, we'd be in slightly better position.

If Vandy loses after being gifted the advantage of a fresh Leiter to start the series and being able to give Rocker 4 or 5 days rest before his start (depending on whether they win game 1), they are going to have to choke or we are going to have to have players play out of their mind.

BuckyIsAB****
06-28-2021, 06:21 PM
Vandy ain't Creed, though. Tommy Gun, maybe, lol.

They are absolutely Ivan Drago

99jc
06-28-2021, 06:29 PM
and their elf looking coach.

LOL....that made me laugh my ass off. he reminds me of that little creature from Lord of the RINGS.

Bdawg
06-28-2021, 06:32 PM
Yep, the one thing that sort of sickens me that DOES make this a bit like 2013 is that this year, like 2013, we are really down to one truly dependable starter (Bednar) like we were in 2013 (Graveman). And like 2013, that starter won't be available until at least Wednesday. In 2013, we didn't make it to Wednesday. I believe Graveman in 2013 pitched on Friday so he would have started on Wed. Bednar pitched on Saturday, so even if we make it to Wednesday, he may only be good for 2 or 3 innings at most. Just sucks that both times we've made it to the championship series we are never set up to give it our best shot pitching wise. I know in 2013 Cohen took a lot of heat for pitching Graveman on Friday when it was not an elimination game but I guess he felt like we really didn't have any other starters to turn to at the time.

We had our opportunity to win on Friday and we were not clutch that time. We would've been sitting pretty if we had won.

BayouDawg
06-28-2021, 11:55 PM
Feels eerily similar now. UCLA not a good hitting team. Scouting report avoid walks and errors. We proceed to walk the entire state of Nebraska and boot the ball all night. Why cant we just have one! Why God!

ImissCityBagel
06-29-2021, 12:00 AM
To be honest, Leiter was just "good" considering all of the pitching we have faced. In spite of his talent and all of the hype, we were decent. Our pitching outside of Sims and Bednar has to step up. MacLeod embarrasses the program. I know he's a kid and there is a litany of other factors, but he has only put us at a deficit in the CWS. If we go 2 & Q, everyone is going to point at MacLeod staying in as the main factor.

Also this ump sucked. Anything on the outside was a strike therefore our batters would swing at anything on the outside whether on the plate or not.

Also Vandy sucks.

maroonmania
06-29-2021, 08:19 AM
Feels eerily similar now. UCLA not a good hitting team. Scouting report avoid walks and errors. We proceed to walk the entire state of Nebraska and boot the ball all night. Why cant we just have one! Why God!

Yep, to me it has felt very much like 2013 with Bednar playing the part of Graveman and Sims playing the part of Girodo. Deal is a closer can't help you if you cant get to the back half of the game with a lead or at least a tie and we can't pitch Bednar (like Graveman) until at least Wednesday but Wednesday may never come.

Activated Alpha
06-29-2021, 08:24 AM
That is why I fully expect to lose tonight. Just like in 13 we cannot find the way to clinch a NC game. However, I would rather keep playing for national championships then sitting at home. Still is a tough pill to swallow though.

msstate7
06-29-2021, 08:26 AM
3 championship series games in our history...
3-1 L
8-0 L
8-2 L
11-3 combined: -8 run differential

Activated Alpha
06-29-2021, 08:28 AM
3-1 L
8-0 L
8-2 L

Yeah always seems that when we get to the CWS our offense is abysmal and can never give our pitchers run support. Whereas we give the other team walks, errors, and free bases.

msstate7
06-29-2021, 08:38 AM
Yeah always seems that when we get to the CWS our offense is abysmal and can never give our pitchers run support. Whereas we give the other team walks, errors, and free bases.

Got a chance to turn it around tonight. I actually feel pretty good about tonight.... not so much about tomorrow

Dawg2003
06-29-2021, 09:24 AM
I have a bad feeling we will win tonight but then get beaten by Rocker Wednesday. It sucks so much.

maroonmania
06-29-2021, 09:50 AM
I have a bad feeling we will win tonight but then get beaten by Rocker Wednesday. It sucks so much.

Right now it would feel great just to GET to tomorrow night. Would love for our baseball program to get to a point to where if we win THAT game we would be NCs. WBB did that twice but until you win one in the championship series in baseball you never get to THE game.

msstate7
06-29-2021, 09:52 AM
Vandy is the favorite at Golden moon tonight

maroonmania
06-29-2021, 09:55 AM
3-1 L
8-0 L
8-2 L

Yep, and here are your MSU starting pitchers for those 3:
3-1 L (Pollerena)
8-0 L (Fitts? if memory serves)
8-2 L (Big Funk Mac)

Boy, those 3 really strike fear into the heart of an opponent. If we lose this thing again, in both instances, it will be due to a lack of, not great, but not even good starting pitching available during the finals.

maroonmania
06-29-2021, 09:59 AM

Not real surprising given the teams with the best pitching are usually the ones that make the CWS and TD Ameritrade doesn't normally lend itself to a ton of offense.

msstate7
06-29-2021, 10:07 AM
Yep, and here are your MSU starting pitchers for those 3:
3-1 L (Pollerena)
8-0 L (Fitts? if memory serves)
8-2 L (Big Funk Mac)

Boy, those 3 really strike fear into the heart of an opponent. If we lose this thing again, in both instances, it will be due to a lack of, not great, but not even good starting pitching available during the finals.

Well, had Texas gotten covid Friday, we'd be in better shape. Vandy should be in the same pitching boat as us

maroonmania
06-29-2021, 10:22 AM
Well, had Texas gotten covid Friday, we'd be in better shape. Vandy should be in the same pitching boat as us

Well, no doubt, NC State not only screwed themselves but also us in the process with the whole COVID deal. However, still an MSU problem that we only really have one dependable starter right now. Hootie is definitely our next best right now but he will be going tonight on very short rest and he normally only goes 4 innings on full rest.