PDA

View Full Version : Tanner Leggett at SS

KOdawg1
06-27-2021, 01:27 PM
Let me start by saying I'm just posting this for discussion purposes and I don't think this should happen, so don't jump on me keyboard coaches.

But do you consider starting Leggett at SS in the championship or do you just stick with what's working? I can see both sides. Forsythe has been pretty abysmal, but his glove is a little better than Leggett's. Leggett isn't a fantastic hitter either, but maybe his hit last night sparks confidence and could give us something in that 9 hole.

I personally wouldn't change what's working, but I thought it could be worth discussing. Feel free to disagree and discuss.

smootness
06-27-2021, 01:31 PM
I would make the change tomorrow and just see how it goes.

R2Dawg
06-27-2021, 01:32 PM
I'd stay but depending on what happens may do the sub again like last game.

FISHDAWG
06-27-2021, 01:34 PM
I'm kinda like... go with the hot hand but being family I'm obviously biased

BeardoMSU
06-27-2021, 01:35 PM
I'd stay but depending on what happens may do the sub again like last game.

Agree. If there is a big moment in the 3rd, bases loaded 1 out, per se, I'd definitely sub him there.

msstate7
06-27-2021, 01:38 PM
Leggett played SS with sims pitching, so not much action on the ground. I don't know how good a SS leggett is, but I don't want a weak defender with Mac on the mound

Bdawg
06-27-2021, 01:39 PM
I think with the way vandy has been swinging it(not too great) we might not need as much offense. I keep it the same and sub if needed. Hate to change what got you here. We havent made an error(statistically) in the CWS. Hopefully we keep that up.

Catfish
06-27-2021, 01:42 PM
Forsyth plays a tough shortstop, gotta stay with him.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2021, 02:08 PM
Don't change anything keep doing what we've been doing. This teams got a rhythm to it and dint want to mess with it. But by all means if we need to pinch hit and sub Leggett at some point do it cause that's part of what's working too(see Hatcher pinch hit against uva and
Leggett last night).

Homedawg
06-27-2021, 02:11 PM
Legget isn't a good defender. Stay with how we've done it.

mparkerfd20
06-27-2021, 02:27 PM
Even tho Forsythe can't hit it past the pitcher's mound if he is so lucky to make contact, I'm inclined to leave him in thr lineup. If you need even a chance of a hit late tho you pull him as fast as you can and go with Leggett.

Commercecomet24
06-27-2021, 02:40 PM
Forsyth is a dang good ss and solidifies our infield. At this point we have to treat him like an mlb pitcher and he really needs to work on his bunting the next couple days. Also if we have a rally going do not swing at the first pitch! I'd almost have him taking until he got 2 strikes lol. We sure do need his glove and I'm confident he'll become a better hitter by next year.

shoeless joe
06-27-2021, 02:51 PM
Leave it as is.

But I would consider using legget as the pinch hitter in a spot versus What we’ve been doing with Hatcher and then legget comin in on D

Cowbell
06-27-2021, 02:54 PM
And FWIW - last night Hatcher looked lost at the plate. I remember him swinging at 3 breaking balls in the dirt. In a row.

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Leggett played SS with sims pitching, so not much action on the ground. I don't know how good a SS leggett is, but I don't want a weak defender with Mac on the mound

THIS

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 03:34 PM
Forsyth is a dang good ss and solidifies our infield. At this point we have to treat him like an mlb pitcher and he really needs to work on his bunting the next couple days. Also if we have a rally going do not swing at the first pitch! I'd almost have him taking until he got 2 strikes lol. We sure do need his glove and I'm confident he'll become a better hitter by next year.

Also THIS

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 03:37 PM
Leggett is more of a second baseman than anything. Obviously he isn't as good as Dubrule so that's not an option. Forsythe is our best SS right now defensively. Ideally he would be a role guy but we've had to put him out there because our defense was getting us killed. That's a big reason why Arkansas swept us. And against Vandy we have zero margin for error in the field because they're not going to allow a lot.

Cowbell
06-27-2021, 03:38 PM

This all day. He needs to cost 5 pitches every time he bats

Homedawg
06-27-2021, 03:44 PM
Leggett is more of a second baseman than anything. Obviously he isn't as good as Dubrule so that's not an option. Forsythe is our best SS right now defensively. Ideally he would be a role guy but we've had to put him out there because our defense was getting us killed. That's a big reason why Arkansas swept us. And against Vandy we have zero margin for error in the field because they're not going to allow a lot.

Correct.

State82
06-27-2021, 03:53 PM
I would keep Lane in the lineup but PH Tanner should the situation arise late. Just like last night. I don't see the need to change at this point.

PMDawg
06-27-2021, 03:57 PM
Let the pitchers bat and DH for Forsythe.

MetEdDawg
06-27-2021, 03:58 PM

I know we won't bench DuBrule, but he's 11 for his last 52 (since the start of the Alabama series) and has no extra base hits during that time. 4 GIDP as well.

Like I said, we won't bench him. But he's had a very difficult time at the plate the last 2 months. I think Leggett will play the role he has been the rest of the season. Just wish we had a few fewer holes in the lineup than we currently do.

To shed some light on us since the start of the Bama series:

Hancock- 11 for his last 52 (.211)
DuBrule - 11 for his last 52 (.211)
Forsythe - 4 for his last 43 (.093)
Clark - 11 for his last 49 (.224)
LoTan - 14 for his last 57 (.245)

We've managed to find ways to get it done with some very sub optimal hitting. But they've all found ways to contribute when needed in big moments.

shoeless joe
06-27-2021, 04:13 PM
I know we won't bench DuBrule, but he's 11 for his last 52 (since the start of the Alabama series) and has no extra base hits during that time. 4 GIDP as well.

Like I said, we won't bench him. But he's had a very difficult time at the plate the last 2 months. I think Leggett will play the role he has been the rest of the season. Just wish we had a few fewer holes in the lineup than we currently do.

We've managed to find ways to get it done with some very sub optimal hitting. But they've all found ways to contribute when needed in big moments.

None of that matters at this point. Just win

WinningIsRelentless
06-27-2021, 05:14 PM

The bigger stat to look at is the number of k?s. You put the ball in play you can make things happen.

msudawg1200
06-27-2021, 05:44 PM
I really like Tanner Leggett. I think he is a tough, hard nosed player. That being said, I still think Forsythe at SS. He is dang solid on D even though he doesn't bring squat to the plate offensively right now. Keep using Tanner as a late inning sub.

Homedawg
06-27-2021, 06:04 PM

The thought of benching dubrule for legget Bc he got one hit is puzzling at best.

Homedawg
06-27-2021, 06:08 PM
The fact we are discussing this when leggett and forsythe have practically the same batting avg is amazing. No question forsythe is the better defender.

KOdawg1
06-27-2021, 07:15 PM
The fact we are discussing this when leggett and forsythe have practically the same batting avg is amazing. No question forsythe is the better defender.

I knew I can count on you to poop on it, lol.

FWIW, I agree with you.

PMDawg
06-27-2021, 07:17 PM
The thought of benching dubrule for legget Bc he got one hit is puzzling at best.

It was kind of a big hit. There is 0% chance Forsythe gets that hit.

That said, I agree there's no reason to make a change at this point. Good to know Leggett can PH in a pressure situation perhaps, but that's about it.

Homedawg
06-27-2021, 07:24 PM

That said, I agree there's no reason to make a change at this point. Good to know Leggett can PH in a pressure situation perhaps, but that's about it.

I'm not down on him. Great hit in a huge situation. It will be remembered forever, if we win it all. But, he's not Barry bonds. The stat lines are almost equal and legget didn't face much sec pitching. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. That's cool. But the defensive difference is huge and forsythe might make an error this week, but he's clearly better defensively.

msstate7
06-27-2021, 07:34 PM

If you believe in the stats (I do), there was a 22.3% chance forsythe gets a hit and a 22.5% (18/80 before hit) chance leggett gets a hit there

MetEdDawg
06-27-2021, 07:36 PM

I wouldn't bench him. I only bring those numbers up to show what we've done to get through to this point.

But you want to reward a kid like Leggett for doing what he did. And anyone that knows what the hell they are talking about and watches a DuBrule at bat knows that right now he's trying to waste pitches and find a way to walk. He's not even attempting to pull the baseball or think about plus count approaches. Everything is an attempt at an oppo poke.

It's tough to watch those at bats by DuBrule and Forsythe and then tell Leggett, who just got quite possibly the most important hit in our program history, that he has to ride the pine while Forsythe bats below .100.

msstate7
06-27-2021, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't bench him. I only bring those numbers up to show what we've done to get through to this point.

But you want to reward a kid like Leggett for doing what he did. And anyone that knows what the hell they are talking about and watches a DuBrule at bat knows that right now he's trying to waste pitches and find a way to walk. He's not even attempting to pull the baseball or think about plus count approaches. Everything is an attempt at an oppo poke.

It's tough to watch those at bats by DuBrule and Forsythe and then tell Leggett, who just got quite possibly the most important hit in our program history, that he has to ride the pine while Forsythe bats below .100.

We haven't been winning with offense. We win with pitching, so I help the pitching all we can

PMDawg
06-27-2021, 08:14 PM
If you believe in the stats (I do), there was a 22.3% chance forsythe gets a hit and a 22.5% (18/80 before hit) chance leggett gets a hit there

(I don't). Stats aren't the end all be all. He has 1 hit in the last month, and its mostly mental. That moment was too big for him.

PMDawg
06-27-2021, 08:17 PM
I'm not down on him. Great hit in a huge situation. It will be remembered forever, if we win it all. But, he's not Barry bonds. The stat lines are almost equal and legget didn't face much sec pitching. Just my opinion. Feel free to disagree. That's cool. But the defensive difference is huge and forsythe might make an error this week, but he's clearly better defensively.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Just saying, if people want to discuss it, no big deal. I get it. But we're not changing the line up, so it's moot. OP said as much.

chef dixon
06-27-2021, 08:22 PM
Forsythe will hit .270 next year

msstate7
06-27-2021, 08:32 PM
(I don't). Stats aren't the end all be all. He has 1 hit in the last month, and its mostly mental. That moment was too big for him.

So you would throw the stats out completely, and roll with the weaker defender in the national championship series? I think that's a rash decision based on 1 AB

Todd4State
06-27-2021, 08:34 PM

Dubrule and Forsythe have both contributed as well though. Especially on defense.

PMDawg
06-27-2021, 08:56 PM
So you would throw the stats out completely, and roll with the weaker defender in the national championship series? I think that's a rash decision based on 1 AB

I'm going to stop talking to you because you don't even bother reading anything that others post. You're too busy be Will James/Rex54 Jr. and pretending that you're some baseball guru.

Homedawg
06-27-2021, 09:03 PM

You mean the dubrule at bat that won us the uva game?? How quickly you forget. Again the stats bear out there isn't much differ between them hitting. And there is a huge difference between them fielding

Homedawg
06-27-2021, 09:05 PM

He has 4 hits in the last month to be fair... which sucks I get it. But he has no errors too which is critical w our team

msstate7
06-27-2021, 09:11 PM
I'm going to stop talking to you because you don't even bother reading anything that others post. You're too busy be Will James/Rex54 Jr. and pretending that you're some baseball guru.

I'm not a baseball guru. I like to consider myself a pretty high common sense guy though. If leggett were a playable option at sS and a better hitter than forsthye, I think he would've drawn a start there by now

PMDawg
06-27-2021, 09:13 PM
He has 4 hits in the last month to be fair... which sucks I get it. But he has no errors too which is critical w our team

I AGREE. FORSYTHE IS STAYING AT SS AND BATTING 9TH. I'M ON BOARD, UNDERSTAND, AND AGREE WITH IT. I ONLY SAID I UNDERSTAND IF OTHERS WANT TO HYPOTHETICALLY DISCUSS IT, EVEN THOUGH IT'S MOOT.

I also said its good to know Leggett can PH in a big moment. I stand by my statement that Forsythe never would have delivered a base hit in that moment. I say that not based on stats, but based on the FACT that its a mental block. He will be fine in time, but that's not happening this year. His glove keeps him on the field, and that's fine with me.

dawgoneyall
06-27-2021, 09:16 PM
It takes a good bat to override any misplays at SS. Give me the better defense at SS...always.

PMDawg
06-27-2021, 09:34 PM
I'm not a baseball guru. I like to consider myself a pretty high common sense guy though. If leggett were a playable option at sS and a better hitter than forsthye, I think he would've drawn a start there by now

Not too common sense. You've yet to read, or at least understand, anything I've said.

Dawgology
06-27-2021, 09:48 PM
Let me start by saying I'm just posting this for discussion purposes and I don't think this should happen, so don't jump on me keyboard coaches.

But do you consider starting Leggett at SS in the championship or do you just stick with what's working? I can see both sides. Forsythe has been pretty abysmal, but his glove is a little better than Leggett's. Leggett isn't a fantastic hitter either, but maybe his hit last night sparks confidence and could give us something in that 9 hole.

I personally wouldn't change what's working, but I thought it could be worth discussing. Feel free to disagree and discuss.

Don?t screw with the team comp at the beginning of a NC haha

Lord McBuckethead
06-28-2021, 12:15 AM
And FWIW - last night Hatcher looked lost at the plate. I remember him swinging at 3 breaking balls in the dirt. In a row.

Tough spot to come in on. All the coaches have to do is tell Hatch to look outside pitch only. He will see inside sliders from right hander every pitch.

BrunswickDawg
06-28-2021, 08:40 AM

So, knowing he's not hitting well, he is looking to find ways to get on and contribute. That's what you want from players if they are struggling. He's 1 for 10 in Omaha - with 6 BB and only 1 K. In 16 plate appearances he's reached base 7 times - a .4375 OBP. It's not like he's been an auto-out.

msstate7
06-28-2021, 08:50 AM
So, knowing he's not hitting well, he is looking to find ways to get on and contribute. That's what you want from players if they are struggling. He's 1 for 10 in Omaha - with 6 BB and only 1 K. In 16 plate appearances he's reached base 7 times - a .4375 OBP. It's not like he's been an auto-out.

Getting on base in front the bottom of lineup power guys is a good thing too

MetEdDawg
06-28-2021, 11:00 AM

So when he hits the ball in Omaha, his BA is .100. That's not good. And a team like Vandy has the ability to exploit that. That's the only reason it comes up.

Like I said. I'm not saying bench DuBrule. And it won't happen. But between all the sunshine, fairies, and rainbows, you do have to look at things how they are. Is DuBrule walking a lot? Yes. And that's fantastic.

What I can guarantee you is Leiter and Rockee won't walk him. Not pitching directly at him is a mistake that Vandy won't make. All it is is conversation and talking and bringing up things. DuBrule has helped in getting us here and not once have I tried to take that away. But it's not unfair to say that right now, we aren't expecting DuBrule to be a big time hitter for us.

FISHDAWG
06-28-2021, 11:32 AM
So when he hits the ball in Omaha, his BA is .100. That's not good. And a team like Vandy has the ability to exploit that. That's the only reason it comes up.

Like I said. I'm not saying bench DuBrule. And it won't happen. But between all the sunshine, fairies, and rainbows, you do have to look at things how they are. Is DuBrule walking a lot? Yes. And that's fantastic.

What I can guarantee you is Leiter and Rockee won't walk him. Not pitching directly at him is a mistake that Vandy won't make. All it is is conversation and talking and bringing up things. DuBrule has helped in getting us here and not once have I tried to take that away. But it's not unfair to say that right now, we aren't expecting DuBrule to be a big time hitter for us.

I wonder if Lemonis would have considered Debrule to PH in the ninth on Saturday if the roles were reversed ... seems he was OK with Leggett because of the current BP he was seeing. Tough argument either way because getting on base carries a lot of weight but usually doesn't score any RBI's either. I say stay with what works so far